12346»

Comments

• great forgotten 70s movie.
    would make a great Criterion release.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    BallzDeep said:

great forgotten 70s movie.

the ending is awesome, that's all I'll say.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    BallzDeep said:

great forgotten 70s movie.

the ending is awesome, that's all I'll say.

I have this movie poster in a giant frame in my house

I like to think that Hackman solo eating a pint of ice cream as the same dude solo blowing his alto after tearing up his apartment at the end of The Conversation.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    HARBINGER DOWN (starring Lance Henriksen) is the all Practical Effects (PFX) creature film the fans have asked for. Funded through Kickstarter and Dark Dunes Productions, Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr. of StudioADI present an alternative to big studio CG driven genre films. Please help us spread the word. Let the revolution begin.

Big thanks to the film's cast--Matt Winston, Camille Balsamo, Reid Collums, Milla Bjorn, Winston Francis, Mike Estime, Giovonnie Samuels, Edwin Bravo, Jason Speer, Kraig Sturtz, and Mick Ignis. And special thanks to all our supporters worldwide!

Harbinger Down Facebook-https://www.facebook.com/harbingerdown

StudioADI Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/studioADl

Dark Dunes Productions Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/DarkDunesPro...

That's wut I'm muddafunkin' talmbout.

• "chef" (food truck movie) drops raers

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    Calvary was flawed but very good. An epic of sorts. Recommended if you liked Teh Guard.

• ketan said:
    Calvary was flawed but very good. An epic of sorts. Recommended if you liked Teh Guard.

i'm basically watching everything out of the A24 camp at this point, if only for the art direction and creativity at a lack of narrative.

edit: at some point in time we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that robert pattinson has been making nothing but great decisions since the glaring early missteps.

vintageinfants said:
    ketan said:

i'm basically watching everything out of the A24 camp at this point, if only for the art direction and creativity at a lack of narrative.

edit: at some point in time we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that robert pattinson has been making nothing but great decisions since the glaring early missteps.

I know some of the movies, but I haven't been following a24. I'm really looking forward to the new Kelly Reichardt:

Eisenberg and Pattinson in a brood-off!

saw Boyhood the other day. Highly recommend it.

ppadilha said:

Yeah, I can't wait! I actually meant to see that the other day but I didn't have enough time and had to see something shorter (Calvary, it was...). I'm showing The Up Series to a class I'm teaching this semester and wonder if Boyhood would be a more concise way to get at the same "life course perspective" on health and development.

• Blue Ruin was dope.

ketan said:
    ppadilha said:

Yeah, I can't wait! I actually meant to see that the other day but I didn't have enough time and had to see something shorter (Calvary, it was...). I'm showing The Up Series to a class I'm teaching this semester and wonder if Boyhood would be a more concise way to get at the same "life course perspective" on health and development.

The Up series is amazing, but I think to get the full effect you have to watch all of them, even though the later ones are made so you catch up on everyone's stories. Boyhood is far more subtle, although you get the same sort of perspective watching the changes that happen to the older characters.

• Recently watched 56 Up and was amazed at (among other things) how much the subjects hated the series.

• anyone catch "wake in fright/outback"?

So I just watched X-Men future past, and I recommend it. Best shot was Quicksilver (name?) running in slow-mo super-fast in the kitchen.

Buuuuuut, when the fuck did Professor X come back to life? Last I remember, Jean Grey killed him. And now he's back..?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I went and watched Swiss Army Man over the weekend:

Going into it I was hoping it would fall more on the side of amusing and less on quirky and I think they got the balance about spot on. Most I've ever enjoyed a Paul Dano performance and Radcliffe makes an excellent corpse. And excellent fart jokes. I would recommend.
    Duderonomy

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Saw the latest Ken Loach film, I. Daniel Blake, the other day.

Some of the joins are a bit sloppy, it's fairly black and white in its "the working class=good, the rich=bad" message and it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. However,  it's still an extremely powerful piece of propaganda  to the point where there was a lot of sniffling and some genuine gasps of shock during the screening. And the general anger and message about the fucked up nature of the benefits system in the UK is hard to argue with. Some stunning performances by the cast as well.
    I do wonder how it would have been received if its message was rightwing rather than leftwing though. I guess I could look in the Mail to find out but would prefer not to enter that cesspit.
    Duderonomy

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Caught 'Nocturnal Animals' at the weekend. Dark storyline and frequent delves back in time. Initial confusion around the lead female playing 2 roles became clearer later.
    Some arresting images that have lingered, and at least 2 excellent performances. 
    Went with girl, the more briefly shocking scenes led to some gratuitous touchy-feely moments, so it's all good.

Session 9 (dir: Brad Anderson) is a really creepy psychological thriller. Atmospheric, unnerving, great sound and good performances. Some proper grisly scenes, recommended if you like shitting your pants in the cinema.

Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them is basically a Harry Potter without Harry Potter, which is great. Fucking awesome special FX, loved this film for what it is - entertaining feelgood fantasy. Dan Fogler was very good.

Dr Strange. I think they missed a trick. Strange's world is the paranormal, interdimensional experiences and time travel so they could have made the film a bit more deep, more of a headfuck, but maybe didn't want to get into Inception territory, which is a shame as it would've made this Marvel film a bit different from the rest. As it was, we had the backstory, some super trippy special FX with fractals I liked, a dash of mysticism and a sprinkle of humour, and then the inevitable face-off with a bad guy that initially can't be beaten before the good guy finds a strategy/weakness to overcome his foe. Too much fighting and not enough thinking, and I like Cumberbatch but he's wasted in this.

Junior said:
    I went and watched Swiss Army Man over the weekend:

Going into it I was hoping it would fall more on the side of amusing and less on quirky and I think they got the balance about spot on. Most I've ever enjoyed a Paul Dano performance and Radcliffe makes an excellent corpse. And excellent fart jokes. I would recommend.
    Cosizzle. Loved this film, despite it being fucking strange, it was very funny and warm.

*SPOILERS*

I liked that at the end, the expected girl resolution didn't happen, and Radcliffe did instead.

Junior said:
    Saw the latest Ken Loach film, I. Daniel Blake, the other day.

Some of the joins are a bit sloppy, it's fairly black and white in its "the working class=good, the rich=bad" message and it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer.
    Think I may avoid it for precisely this reason, or at least wait for streaming opportunities.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I watched Sing Street last night. Enjoyed it much more that I thought I would.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    My 2016 year end lists

Best movies of the year:

The Lobster

Captain Fantastic

10 Cloverfield lane

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

The VVITCH

Swiss Army Man

Good Popcorn flicks: 
    Green Room
    Doctor Strange
    Dont Breathe
    Deadpool
    Rogue One
    The Love Witch
    Miles Ahead

Fun documentaries:
    Miss Sharon Jones 
    Syl Johnson - Anyway the Wind Blows
    Stooges  - Gimme Danger
    Leon Russel - A poem is a naked person 

Great tv shows: 
    Westworld 

Stranger Things
    Eric Andre show

- damo

The Lobster was 2015. Very strange film.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It didn't reach my city until 2016.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    I really want to watch this movie now.

foe said:
    I really want to watch this movie now.
    It is possibly the weirdest film I've ever watched. For people who've watched it - any theories on the way everyone speaks?