Movie-strut reccomendations

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

Tim's Vermeer is easily one of the best documentaries I've seen in years. Narrated by Penn Jilette and directed by Teller. It has the same fun as an episode of their show BULLSHIT with an amazing topic. Tim has a brilliant theory on how Vermeer painted using mirrors and lenses, and even thinks this technique may go as far back to Caravaggio and Da Vinci.

The camera obscura as painting aid is an old theory, but I don't think anyone has put it into practice before... will check

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/empire_seapower/vermeer_camera_01.shtml
    Philip Steadman trained as an architect, and is Professor of Urban and Built Form Studies at University College London. His book Vermeer's Camera (Oxford University Press, 2001) is the product of 20 years' fascination with the Dutch master.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

Tim's Vermeer is easily one of the best documentaries I've seen in years. Narrated by Penn Jilette and directed by Teller. It has the same fun as an episode of their show BULLSHIT with an amazing topic. Tim has a brilliant theory on how Vermeer painted using mirrors and lenses, and even thinks this technique may go as far back to Caravaggio and Da Vinci.

His results are stunning.

Hands down one of the best documentaries I've seen in years.

- spidey

I just watched it. It is totally fascinating how much work is involved to do a painting in the style of Vermeer, even with the aid of the lens and the mirror. Dude worked for over 100 days just to do the painting and was completly anal about the details. I would have gone insane after a few days.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    If you've peeped the movie check out the comparison of Tim's painting, and Vermeer's Music Lesson.

- d

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Edge of Tomorrow was sick.

Cruise killed it as always.

I'll never understand the hate...

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

Dude's got a solid sheet.

I won't defend Cocktail.

Every actor has a dog or 2.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

I won't defend Cocktail.

Cocktail is actually kinda cult.

But War Of The Worlds, and Oblivion are cookie cutter Sci-Fi.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He is a terrific physical actor, and I don't mean in a Mission Impossbile kind of way either.
    The two that come to mind are his "ahhhggg what is happening" slightly contorted, pained and squirmy body language when Kidman has her meltdown at the start of Eyes Wide Shut, when he is sitting on the bed and she is by the window.
    And the complete head-to-toe change when the interview regarding his men's group turns from friendly to adversarial in Magnolia. It is measured and a perfect example of fury bubbling under the surface.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

I won't defend Cocktail.

I liked Oblivion ya bastard.
    (But I get it)
    Minority Report was hella good. Loved Edge of Tomorrow. He should stay in his lane and continue doing scifi. After that Shyamalamadingdong piece of crap, Will Smith now has no lane.

bassie said:
    He is a terrific physical actor, and I don't mean in a Mission Impossbile kind of way either.
    The two that come to mind are his "ahhhggg what is happening" slightly contorted, pained and squirmy body language when Kidman has her meltdown at the start of Eyes Wide Shut, when he is sitting on the bed and she is by the window.
    And the complete head-to-toe change when the interview regarding his men's group turns from friendly to adversarial in Magnolia. It is measured and a perfect example of fury bubbling under the surface.

yeah I think you nailed it. very very few actors can pull that off. I'm an unabashed Cruise fanboy. he and Bale are the only actors who can get me to the theater on the strength of their names alone.

The_Non said:
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

I won't defend Cocktail.

I liked Oblivion ya bastard.
    (But I get it)
    Minority Report was hella good. Loved Edge of Tomorrow. He should stay in his lane and continue doing scifi. After that Shyamalamadingdong piece of crap, Will Smith now has no lane.

Oblivion was dope.

Minority Report is one of my favorite sci fi movies of the last 15 yrs easy.

Finally, we've discovered something you like!

rootlesscosmo said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Have you seen Cocktail?

I won't defend Cocktail.

I won't deny solid sheet status, in my view, but I can see where someone might not dig.

Vanilla Sky, anyone?

The_Non said:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

lol@mbient recommended this on that other forum and it's so fucking good... one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while. Founding contribution to the "Reverse Home Invasion" sub-genre

Bonus points for making me listen to Agent Orange again.

I also liked this one even though I literally hated every other "found footage" movie (except Cannibal Holocaust of course)

Also, I'm sure you already heard it elsewhere but Under The Skin is absolutely incredible.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The_Non said:

I'll hold out for people to tell me why I should have hated this...

Well, I haven't seen it, but because Favreau is a fat sack of hacky garbage?
    Perhaps ScarJo or Vergara save the movie w/fun and/or nudity
    How was Liquidjello in it? He hasn't been in anything in awhile. I liked Ghetto Klown, but he seems to be running outta personal life material....

The_Non said:
    Well, I haven't seen it, but because Favreau is a fat sack of hacky garbage?
    Perhaps ScarJo or Vergara save the movie w/fun and/or nudity
    How was Liquidjello in it? He hasn't been in anything in awhile. I liked Ghetto Klown, but he seems to be running outta personal life material....

HAHA. Why you gotta take away my good feels? But it's nice to see you posting on the reg again...

"Perhaps ScarJo or Vergara save the movie w/fun and/or nudity"

Sadly no. For ScarJo it's that Under the Skin movie (Have not seen).

Under The Skin was the shit.
    Edge of Tomorrow ripped it.
    I liked Transcendence okkkkk, but the ending sucked and was implausible.
    I wanna see Snowpiercer, but SURPRISE! It's not playing in any movie theatre within 1.5 hr radius.
    :f-u:
    As you can tell, I like to go to the theatre for SciFi. My girl doesn't require RomComs (thank god) and the next thing I wanna see besides Snowpiercer is the new Apes movie cuz of that commercial where Chimp foo blasts those guys in the warehouse. Oh, and I'mma see the fuck outta the James Brown movie.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Trip out. I had never heard of Snowpiercer 'til about 5 minutes ago via FB. It's playing here tonight. Probably gonna go.

Lucy

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I found Snowpiercer to be unbearably boring... I fell asleep after 40-50 minutes. My wife sat through it all and said it's not worth revisiting.

Frank said:
    I found Snowpiercer to be unbearably boring... I fell asleep after 40-50 minutes. My wife sat through it all and said it's not worth revisiting.

I really liked the trailer. The runtime did seem a bit excessive. I'mma still see it, somehow.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Frank said:

I really liked the trailer. The runtime did seem a bit excessive. I'mma still see it, somehow.

I'm sure it makes a great looking trailer but as a movie there's just not enough of a story, I also found the action scenes kindof ehh. It has great atmosphere but that alone just isn't nearly enough so it just gets old real quick. I was super bummed because I had very high expectations. But yeah, maybe I was just too tired. Don't forget to report back!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Speaking of Frank.. has any one seen this yet?

- spidey

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Frank said:

That sucks. I thought the trailer looked corny but the reviews were so good I was going to give it a chance. Might just wait for netflix.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'll hold out for people to tell me why I should have hated this...

Because food trucks are totally cliche. So famous people
    Making a food truck movie is elitist.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

The Lord of Tears.

Seriously spooky, brilliantly shot neo gothic horror movie from Scotland.
    Totally un-bloody but had some serious chills creep over me a couple of times...