Super Tuesday

Comments

• Those polls, they've been so ON POINT! Good to trust them.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    My sources inside the McCain campaign say that Lindsay Graham will be on the ticket. But I can see the wisdom in pulling those xtians from the Huckabee camp.

Either way, I'm with Jonny. The only way a Clinton ticket could beat McCain is with Obama. If she picks some DNC insider type asshole, forget about it.

• Can you elaborate?

Obama and Clinton don't really appeal to the same voters. The Democratic Party will lose a lot of votes to McCain in a general election if Clinton is the nominee.

as of a week ago, meet the press showed that they were both polling within 3 points of each other against mccain...with obama ahead. no doubt he is bringing out young people that won't be as enthusiastic for hillary, but its not completely one-sided (go ask the retirees in florida).

to me, this is a non-issue. mccain has no shot, even with Gomer Pile's long lost brother as his VP.

Boca or Naples? Cause you'll get a different answer. Plus Florida votes don't count right? Howard Dean took care of the possibility that Florida would go democratic this time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Can you elaborate?

Obama and Clinton don't really appeal to the same voters. The Democratic Party will lose a lot of votes to McCain in a general election if Clinton is the nominee.

as of a week ago, meet the press showed that they were both polling within 3 points of each other against mccain...with obama ahead. no doubt he is bringing out young people that won't be as enthusiastic for hillary, but its not completely one-sided (go ask the retirees in florida).

to me, this is a non-issue. mccain has no shot, even with Gomer Pile's long lost brother as his VP.

Dude: you're really going to trust a FEBRUARY poll at this point to predict what might happen in November? Really?

Look - I'd like to see a Clinton/Obama ticket myself but it doesn't take much of a cynic to acknowledge that having a White Woman/Black Man ticket, however "I Have a Dream" that might look on paper, may end up being extremely risky in a general population vote. Personally, I think it'd work better the other way around: with Clinton as the VP pick since I think people who wouldn't vote for her as pres would be more likely to go with her as a VP BUT she'd still have the ability to bring in Latino voters and women (well, those women who would have voted for her regardless).

I dunno - I trust the opinion of my friends who think Clinton/Obama is a death wish in disguise but that said, I hold out hope. Clinton/Edwards or Obama/Edwards seems kind of snoozy to me. Richardson might make an intriguing VP nod though.

• i don't understand how someone's pure speculation is looked at with greater deference than a poll.

"hillary can never beat mccain" (cue applause)

"a poll just showed that obama and hillary are only separated by 3 points against mccain" (gtfohwtbs!! polls are useless. go fuck yourself!!!)

i don't understand how someone's pure speculation is looked at with greater deference than a poll.

"a poll just showed that obama and hillary are only separated by 3 points against mccain" (gtfohwtbs!! polls are useless. go fuck yourself!!!)

ha ha. that is a good point.

• hang your head in shame

yeah voting for your beliefs and not capitulating is shameful.

hi tony!

thanks for joining me in the black fist club...

ayo!

i don't understand how someone's pure speculation is looked at with greater deference than a poll.

Not sure who you're confusing me with but I didn't say "Hillary can never beat McCain." My point is that suggesting a current poll offers any real indication for a general election eight months away is kind of useless. Eight months ago and McCain was over, remember? According to the polls at least.

And remember: I like polls. I think polling data is useful. But as a crystal ball into November? In early Feb? Naw dude.

• do we want to get into the corporate work that Michelle has done?

Quick reminder, Michelle's not running for president.

you missed the point. hillary did corporate work while bill was in public service.

are we supposed to infer that Hillary was just helping to "make ends meet" because Bill was selflessly foregoing any renumeration for his tireless efforts on behalf of the downtrodden?

I love it when saba gets all indignant about the Democratic candidates' use of the capitalist system for material gain. like, only GOP candidates can do that. it's a hilarious double standard.

• as vulgar as it is, it does reveal the possibility that sexism superscedes racial bias in a presidential candidate? dont know if i used the term supercede correctly but you know what i mean. anyhow i see a black/female/any other ethnicity as prime minister here in canada before america ever gets close to the same with their president, you guys(i mean your country as a whole) did kinda elect bush 2 terms in a row?!?!

Ah, we already had a female PM. Not that she lasted long. But still...

I totally forgot about that! but there's the proof. Canada for president!

I can't think of a good female leader in world history.

(THAT'S SEXIST!)

seriously, someone help me out; I am stating objective fact: I can't think of one right now.

Golda Meir not to mention Esther and Sheba and many others.

Golda Meir = worst PM Israel ever had (with the possible exception of the current one). I will defer to your assessments of the leadership abilities of Esther and Sheba though. I can't say I've really reviewed their voting records lately.

you missed the point. hillary did corporate work while bill was in public service.

are we supposed to infer that Hillary was just helping to "make ends meet" because Bill was selflessly foregoing any renumeration for his tireless efforts on behalf of the downtrodden?

I love it when saba gets all indignant about the Democratic candidates' use of the capitalist system for material gain. like, only GOP candidates can do that. it's a hilarious double standard.

i think everyone should do it. the finest thing you can do for your country, other than serve in the military, is to create jobs for others. I just think its funny the way you try and make the fact that hillary was a corporate shill less offensive to the people on this board you are trying to influence, by selling it as "she was doing it to support Bill and all the great things he was doing."

i think everyone should do it. the finest thing you can do for your country, other than serve in the military, is to create jobs for others. I just think its funny the way you try and make the fact that hillary was a corporate shill less offensive to the people on this board you are trying to influence, by selling it as "she was doing it to support Bill and all the great things he was doing."

uh that wasn't me dude.

uh that wasn't me dude.

it might as well have been.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Can you elaborate?

Dude: you're really going to trust a FEBRUARY poll at this point to predict what might happen in November? Really?

Look - I'd like to see a Clinton/Obama ticket myself but it doesn't take much of a cynic to acknowledge that having a White Woman/Black Man ticket, however "I Have a Dream" that might look on paper, may end up being extremely risky in a general population vote. Personally, I think it'd work better the other way around: with Clinton as the VP pick since I think people who wouldn't vote for her as pres would be more likely to go with her as a VP BUT she'd still have the ability to bring in Latino voters and women (well, those women who would have voted for her regardless).

I dunno - I trust the opinion of my friends who think Clinton/Obama is a death wish in disguise but that said, I hold out hope. Clinton/Edwards or Obama/Edwards seems kind of snoozy to me. Richardson might make an intriguing VP nod though.

Clinton or Obama, both need a White Man as vp to legitimize the ticket.

Sad, but true.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My sources inside the McCain campaign say that Lindsay Graham will be on the ticket. But I can see the wisdom in pulling those xtians from the Huckabee camp.

Huckabee is still widely disdained by much of the Conservatives in the GOP. I don't think he would help a McCain ticket at all. He needs someone from the South, yes, someone who Evangelicals can get with, yes, but I seriously doubt that Huckabee will be much more than a footnote by this November.

Huckabee is still widely disdained by much of the Conservatives in the GOP. I don't think he would help a McCain ticket at all. He needs someone from the South, yes, someone who Evangelicals can get with, yes, but I seriously doubt that Huckabee will be much more than a footnote by this November.

Dude, did you not look at yesterday's results? I don't want Huck as a VP candidate; dude is way too born-again for my tastes - but if I were McCain's team, I'd be thinking, "man, this dude has the South on lock." As a veep - what conservatives don't like about him wouldn't be as big a liability if he's not the Prez.

That said, Huckabee's also a good reason why moderates would look at the ticket and think, "no way."

Right. Then Graham is perfect. Not only is he from the South, but he is also secretly gay. Xtian conservatives obviously go for that.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Right. Then Graham is perfect. Not only is he from the South, but he is also secretly gay. Xtian conservatives obviously go for that.

If it's a secret.....then how do you know it???

Wide stances revealed.

Wide stances revealed.

Down South there are secrets, and then, there are secrets. You should know that.

• My point is that suggesting a current poll offers any real indication for a general election eight months away is kind of useless.
    national polls also overlook the fact that each state picks a candidate
    hence the 04 map is somewhat valid

there is another delegate count here ...
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/democratic_delegate_count.html
    763 - 778 in Obama's favor w/o superdelegates

I guess the California loss is not as bad as I thought
    The delegates mostly break even unless one candidate can pull over 62% in a district
    CA is now only a 175 - 140 against him in their count

CNN gives HC a 625-264 lead w/o superdelegates

Texas will be rough, although Obama should be able to keep it within 10 points and not give up too much ground in the count
    In Mid/Northwest & (hopefully) deep south, he should continue his smackdown

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Dude, did you not look at yesterday's results? I don't want Huck as a VP candidate; dude is way too born-again for my tastes - but if I were McCain's team, I'd be thinking, "man, this dude has the South on lock." As a veep - what conservatives don't like about him wouldn't be as big a liability if he's not the Prez.

That said, Huckabee's also a good reason why moderates would look at the ticket and think, "no way."

The evangelicals in the South voted Huckabee as the only protest vote they could log. I shouldn't say he wouldn't help "at all", I just don't see him as being an factor once the main man has been selected. Someone like him will do just fine, and clearly he has pissed on enough GOP hardliners just by staying in and allowing McCain to throw Romney around like a ragdoll, so while I applaud his grassroots efforts, I think he will be a memory come November. The little engine that could, until they swapped him out with a more agreeable model.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Texas will be rough

I think Texas, my home state, will be interesting. They are rounding up/rallying young Black voters here in Houston like I've never seen before. They even have the knucklehead commercial radio idiots putting knowledge out there. I hope that most haven't given up hope after yesterday. Not that it was a bad result, but the spin is amazing right now and it's hard for many people of any race/gender to see through the smoke.

At least in Houston, that is...

McCain's vp is an interesting choice. People are talking about Huckababy and Romney because that is who is in front of the talking heads and it is hard for them to look any deeper.

Huckabee does make a lot of sense:
    1) McCain does not need another Washington inside of the ticket.
    2) McCain does not need another military/foreign policy guy on the ticket.
    3) McCain does need the South and Evangelicals.

Romney makes a tiny bit of sense:
    1) The Republican establishment is supporting him.
    [digression] By supporting Romney (Rush, Coulter and the rest) are saying that they never really cared about abortion, war on terror, or any other conservative issue beyond wall street and big business.[/digression]

Lindsey Graham (sp) seems a poor choice:
    1) Washington insider
    2) dinosaur
    3) Flip flopper
    4) On the up strong conservative establishment credentials

We will see McCain pick a young Southern Xian governor. Jeb Bush?

Or he could choose a Black or a Woman to contrast with the Dems. Elizabeth Dole, that excongressman from Oklahoma?

Things are not looking good for the Rs. I was comparing how many people voted D and how many R in the red states.

More people voted for Clinton in Arkansas than Huckabee, McCain and Romney combined!

McCain is starting to look like toast to me, but November is a long way off.

Terrible terrible terrible day for Ron Paul. His supports don't vote because they are afraid to register with the government.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Terrible terrible terrible day for Ron Paul. His supports don't vote because they are afraid to register with the government.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I heard it was because of shit like this.

Harv is gonna call conspiracy.

• Bust out the tinfoil:

Our fair governor Tim Pawlenty has been clinging to McCain's nuts for some time, especially recently. Around here, people are predicting him as VP.

Where is the Republican Convention being held???

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Bust out the tinfoil:

Our fair governor Tim Pawlenty has been clinging to McCain's nuts for some time, especially recently. Around here, people are predicting him as VP.

Where is the Republican Convention being held???

For some reason, St. Paul, MN (9/1-4). You know: the most historically liberal state in the history of modern American elections.

Dems are in Denver 8/25-28. That's a LONG way away.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    No effing way will Jeb Bush be McCain's veep. The Bush name is acid to 75% of all Americans. Still, the man needs the Christian vote. This sounds like a job for:

J. Danforth Quayle

From Wikipedia:

At the 1988 Republican National Convention in New Orleans, Louisiana, George H. W. Bush called on Quayle to be his running mate in the general election. Quayle was chosen to appeal to a younger generation of Americans and his good looks were praised by Senator John McCain, who said "I can't believe a guy that handsome wouldn't have some impact."[/b]