Primaries (Pick Your Horse-Related)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Ron Paul's objection to the Iraq war was based on the fact that congress never declared war, making it unconstitutional.

Well at long as his opposition isn't based on some petty technicality.

theres basically no moral element to it at all. Disgusting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've noticed that people who like conspiracy theorys (or should I say alternate scenerios) also like Ron Paul.

Why is that?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Illegal Immigration will be a big player come November....

Ron Paul has some good ideas......

Physically secure our borders and coastlines. We must do whatever it takes to control entry into our country before we undertake complicated immigration reform proposals.

Enforce visa rules. Immigration officials must track visa holders and deport anyone who overstays their visa or otherwise violates U.S. law. This is especially important when we recall that a number of 9/11 terrorists had expired visas.

No amnesty. Estimates suggest that 10 to 20 million people are in our country illegally. That???s a lot of people to reward for breaking our laws.
    No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.

End birthright citizenship. As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be citizens, the incentive to enter the U.S. illegally will remain strong.

Pass true immigration reform. The current system is incoherent and unfair. But current reform proposals would allow up to 60 million more immigrants into our country, according to the Heritage Foundation. This is insanity. Legal immigrants from all countries should face the same rules and waiting periods.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Illegal Immigration

I've seen alot of 'RON PAUL 2008' signs out on country roads, usually on the same properties where you see homemade 'GET US OUT OF THE UN' & john birch society signs.

[/semicrazy]

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I've noticed that people who like conspiracy theorys (or should I say alternate scenerios) also like Ron Paul.

Why is that?

My roommate is all about Ron Paul. He also signed a petition to impeach Dick Cheney. Not saying that's a bad idea, but not a very practical one.

I am also pulling for an Obama-Edwards ticket. Not sure if that's realistic but it would be great. I wouldn't mind an Obama-Richardson ticket either.

Why is that?

Because he recognizes that 1. a federal income tax is unconstitutional and that 2. the IRS is nothing more than a clearinghouse for profits gained by the original Virginia Company i.e. European investors. And Ron Paul follows that recognition up by clearly stating at every turn that he wishes to shut that bogus shit down.

That alone earns my vote.

• I'm pulling for the Obama / Edwards ticket.

I would be cool with this...I actually prefer Edwards, but Obama seems to have a better chance. Either way I'm good!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

Why is that?

Because he recognizes that 1. a federal income tax is unconstitutional and that 2. the IRS is nothing more than a clearinghouse for profits gained by the original Virginia Company i.e. European investors. And Ron Paul follows that recognition up by clearly stating at every turn that he wishes to shut that bogus shit down.

very interesting

what is his position on chemtrails???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

No welfare for illegal aliens. Americans have welcomed immigrants who seek opportunity, work hard, and play by the rules. But taxpayers should not pay for illegal immigrants who use hospitals, clinics, schools, roads, and social services.

Absolutely. If some Texas company ships in a truckload of
    illegal immigrants to daylabor at their factory, and one of
    them gets their hand cut off, they should without question
    be forced to bleed to death in the street. And his kids? Fuck 'em!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Why is that?

very interesting

what is his position on chemtrails???

Unconstitutional. That, or something about a profit-laundering scheme devised by big oil, I think.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that there will be an Obama-Edwards ticket after Edwards shenanigans in 2004. I doubt seriously he would accept a second banana role anyway.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

Why is that?

HAHAHAHAHA

Now that your high-and-mighty doomsday scenario has been advanced, couldn't the Texan employer just pick up the hospital bill? I mean, beyond being cited/fined/jailed for emplying illegals...

Of course the illegal with the now-repaired hand would have to be deported. But that's just the chance he was taking.

On the flipside, what is your suggestion for who should pay for public services to illegals?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Now that your high-and-mighty doomsday scenario has been advanced, couldn't the Texan employer just pick up the hospital bill? I mean, beyond being cited/fined/jailed for emplying illegals...

Of course the illegal with the now-repaired hand would have to be deported. But that's just the chance he was taking.

On the flipside, what is your suggestion for who should pay for public services to illegals?

My scenario wasn't meant to be high-and-mighty, my point was simply
    that illegal immigration is a little more involved than closing borders
    and kicking everyone out - it is financed, enabled and encouraged by
    US businesses both large and small, and just shutting off the services
    that these immigrants receive after being coerced into crossing the border
    seems pretty harsh to me.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

it is financed, enabled and encouraged by

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Because that's the way you are framing it. I highly doubt that anyone is advocating that illegals bleed to death from minor hand injuries. Instead they are saying...treat the person, bill the employer, cite/fine/arrest the employer, and deport the illegal...just like I already stated. But you seem fixated on some wholly unrealistic extreme that apparently no one but yourself is proposing.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm curious, harvey, if you beleive in any of these:

# The driver shot JFK. (the late William Cooper)

# The Beatles were designed and sent to the U.S. by the British Psychological Warfare Division, to undermine the morals of American teenagers. (Lyndon LaRouche)

# Christ's Crucifixion was staged. (Hugh Schonfield) Christ eloped with Mary Magdalene, and one or both of them fled to France to raise their family. (Baigent/Leigh/Lincoln)

# Christ and his disciples were a magic-mushroom cult. (Dead Sea Scrolls scholar John Allegro)

# HIV/AIDS was created in a lab.

# HIV does not cause AIDS.

# Man never landed on the moon. It's not even possible. But there is an alien base there. (see Wikipedia; for an artful and very funny parody of how these theories can be patched together from unrelated material, watch the mockumentary Dark Side of the Moon)

# The Zapruder film is entirely fake, even though it contradicts the findings of the Warren Commission. (Jim Fetzer)

# Stephen King killed John Lennon. (Steve Lightfoot)

# WWII was staged. It never really happened. The Illuminati employed elaborate special effects, stage magic, and phony journalism to scare the world into pacifism. (Donald Holmes)

# Queen Elizabeth I was a man. The real Elizabeth died as a child.

# George H.W. Bush was really George Scherff Sr., a Nazi sent to destroy America as a teenager and adopted by Prescott Bush (Scherff was also an assistant to Nikola Tesla, and stole all Tesla's inventions after he was murdered by Otto Skorzeny and Reinhard Gehlen). Hitler was still alive in Montana in 1997, and Josef Mengele is keeping himself alive and youthful with a regimen of hormones and cannibalism. Oh, and Curious George was inspired by a young George Scherff Jr.; that's probably why Alan J. Shalleck was murdered by two men he met through a gay sex network one day before the movie premiered. (this information comes from a man named Eric Berman, who claims he heard it straight from his girlfriend's dad, Otto Skorzeny, in Florida during the late '90s. Skorzeny died in Madrid in 1975.)

# One promoter of the Scherff-Bush story adds that Josef Mengele was the real Zodiac, the Boston Strangler(s), and the anthrax letter mailer. (http://www.thebushconnection.com/)

# The 1939 War of the Worlds radio broadcoast was a psychological warfare study funded by C.D. Jackson on behalf of the Rockefeller Foundation, designed to find out how Americans would react to an enemy invasion. Funny... in a trailer for his mockumentary F is for Fake, Orson Welles did say the WoW broadcast had "secret sponsors". (Daniel Hopsicker)

# A really old one that just won't die: Jews drink the blood and eat the flesh of Gentile children during Passover. Some Catholics still revere the relics of Medieval child saints supposedly slaughtered and devoured by Jews.

# The doomed Franklin Expedition was sent to the Arctic not only to find the Northwest Passage, but to secretly investigate UFO sightings that had been reported since the 1700s. The men were captured, experimented upon, and eaten by giant aliens. (Jeffrey Blair Latta)

# Hitler and some associates escaped to the Arctic in a submarine, to live with super-advanced aliens who reside within the hollow earth. (This story originated with Edward Bulwer-Lytton's novel The Coming Race, was treated as fact by the pre-Nazi Vril Society, was bolstered by the forged "secret diary" of Admiral Byrd, and was adopted by the likes of Ernst Zundel)

# Denver International Airport was built expressly to conceal a vast underground complex, headquarters of the New World Order elite. Clues are hidden in the airport's peace-themed mural.

Dizzy.......I actually believe one of those.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Dizzy.......I actually believe one of those.

me too.

• # The Zapruder film is entirely fake, even though it contradicts the findings of the Warren Commission. (Jim Fetzer)

Yes! Good ole Fetzer. One of the proud faculty members from my alma mater. Unfortunately, I never had one of his classes, although I've heard through students that he floats the idea that Senator Wellstone's plane was brought down by an EMP. Truly an embarrassment, this guy.

Back on topic, Obama is the only choice.

• it is financed, enabled and encouraged by

yea my folks just wanna close the border or something. People think that kicking all the illegals out will magically fix the economy. Its kinda sickening how Illegals get a shitty lil moniker that makes em sound like martians rather than human beings trying to better their situation.

My dad was trying to tell me the other day that ALL illegal immigrants are making at least minimum wage. Because if they weren't they'd come work for him and make it. That seemed to be the most misguided thing I'd heard all day.

im all for closing the border, im just not for kicking everyone out.

• Why does anyone think that would be a successful use of public monies? (well, those of us who think that income tax is not illegal)

I can just imagine, "The War On Illegal Immigrants". It'll make you pansies long for the productive, halcyon days of the ol' War On Drugs.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

it is financed, enabled and encouraged by

yea my folks just wanna close the border or something. People think that kicking all the illegals out will magically fix the economy. Its kinda sickening how Illegals get a shitty lil moniker that makes em sound like martians rather than human beings trying to better their situation.

My dad was trying to tell me the other day that ALL illegal immigrants are making at least minimum wage. Because if they weren't they'd come work for him and make it. That seemed to be the most misguided thing I'd heard all day.

Even if they were, it's hardly as if "making at least minimum wage" = "caking". It's extraordinarily difficult to live on min wage and stay above the federal poverty line.

I think immigration will prove to be an interesting wedge issue in 2008 but I also wonder how big of an issue it actually is, outside all the punditry. Most polling I've seen suggests it's a far, far smaller issue compared to stuff like (you guessed it): the war and the economy.

"making at least minimum wage" = "caking" vs. what they made in their home country.[/b]

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "making at least minimum wage" = "caking" vs. what they made in their home country.[/b]

Oh, no doubt. Hence why they bother to come here to work shit jobs. But that doesn't seem to be the implicit problem this guy's father was raising. He made it seem like undocumented workers were stealing from the American payroll or something.

i just dont see how kicking the only people who seem to be doing any work out of the country can be a good idea.

• well this is a good place to share this site...i thought it was kind of interesting...

please take the test and share what you got...

http://www.politicalcompass.org/index

i'm almost purely anarcho syndicalist, which is interesting cuase that's the political demographic i consider myself.

the thing i also find interesting is all of the viable canidates in the US are right wing, republicans being fringe right wing. very interesting. too bad there is no labour party in the us.

dave