"Mardi Gras" without the bells..Courtesy Wbai..

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts

We threw this together to get an idea for the shirts. Some were claiming no fire? Not sure. Anybody got any thoughts?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Why is this version of Mardi Gras called a Holy Grail?
    Because just like the 'real' holy grail, it doesn't exist!

This minor detail has not stopped the mythical record gaining a cult-like status though, and if some Jeebus character can keep a religion going around evidential articles like his towel or his beer glass, why can't Biz have his own religion based on a record? Afterall, nobody[/b] beats the Biz. Nobody[/b].
    In part 1 of the interview (issue 8) Biz crosses himself when he mentions being schooled in digging by Breakbeat Lenny (the first phrophet? founding father?), collecting records with Flash & Bambaata (apostles?) and this religion already has it's own holy books (Big Daddy issue 8 and 9 were the secret was first learnt).
    Like all religions, if questioned we can fall back on that favourite defense of the devout; until you can prove it doesn't exist...

The Biz interview:

"See, 'Mardi Gras', I'ma explain to everybody - 'Mardi Gras' was a live record. I got a 12" on CTI, it's like an EP. It's got 'Mardi Gras', it's got 'Westchester Lady', and it's got 'Solero' on it. But the 12", it starts off: ti-tit-dom boom, tat, boom tat boom, boom, tat tat, boom tat, then it comes into the bells[/b]. I got two"

I like the t-shirt idea, but I don't know about that mardi gras image...
    and I'd like a laughing Biz on the back!

Nobody beats the Biz my brothers. Nobody.

Do you mean to say that this is the record on which you might have a clean break http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170178989608&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:PIC&ih=007 ??

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

We threw this together to get an idea for the shirts. Some were claiming no fire? Not sure. Anybody got any thoughts?

Biz's face on the bass drum head.....with his mouth open.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I think you have to be European to care about this in 2007.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    I was thinking that too. although I feel like for the shirt you should use a pic of Biz making, like, the gas face with his tongue out like he's saying "I got it, you snitches!"

(law-strut interlude) is there gonna be some legal issue with using Biz's likeness? you know he's going to see it.

All good points...had not thought of these issues however I also did not think it would get back to the BIZ. Having him on the back is a must have IMO. Seems incomplete without.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I was thinking that too. although I feel like for the shirt you should use a pic of Biz making, like, the gas face with his tongue out like he's saying "I got it, you snitches!"

(law-strut interlude) is there gonna be some legal issue with using Biz's likeness? you know he's going to see it.

All good points...had not thought of these issues however I also did not think it would get back to the BIZ. Having him on the back is a must have IMO. Seems incomplete without.

I agree that Biz needs to be present for the icing-on-the-cake factor. I could live without him on the shirt, though, if need be.

Can any of the law-related strutters weigh in on this? Considering all the legal shit that Biz has been through, he may have turned into the litigious type. Or maybe he'd dig it. I don't know.

• Some were claiming no fire? Not sure. Anybody got any thoughts?

I don't care about the fire, so for me, no faya.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i got a vote for the fire.thats what makes the shirt funny.

Some were claiming no fire? Not sure. Anybody got any thoughts?

I don't care about the fire, so for me, no faya.

I vote for no fire. Mainly because the fire implies that the drums have fire-type qualities only when the bells are not present. I do not believe this to be true.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    people.

I've got the vector art for this. I can do this shirt thing.

I originally posted this up awhile back on the first Mardi Gras Bell thread.

I took out the flames cause they were wack.

I personally like the grey but whites dope too.

The icon equation thing never gets tired, and all its iterations.

I'm putting up the vector are here:

mardi - bells = drums ... eps

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    i got a vote for the fire.thats what makes the shirt funny.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    on grey with new flames

• Nothing more than filtering. Nice, though.

I think the issue of this thread is the T-shirt. No fire.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    No fire

• No fire

i like the idea of biz's goofy grin on the kick drum.

the drum fire is

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    See I don't get it. "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Drums?" Who cares?

No man, "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "that old hot shit." Hence the need for the fire. If you guys are gonna be all like "Well the drums aren't all that good" or trying to look at it from such an antiseptic point of view, you're kind of missing the point.

IMO opinion that is. But hey, do what you gotta do.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

No man, "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "that old hot shit." Hence the need for the fire. If you guys are gonna be all like "Well the drums aren't all that good" or trying to look at it from such an antiseptic point of view, you're kind of missing the point.

That's how I see it too. The design loses its purpose without the flames.

• See I don't get it. "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Drums?" Who cares?

With that in mind, how about just the fire (i.e. no drums)? I mean, the thing is supposed to be rather cryptic. "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Fire" with a little Biz on there somewhere to set the context would get the message across to the ten people in the world who would get it.

• "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Drums" Who cares?

ultimately.....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

With that in mind, how about just the fire (i.e. no drums)? I mean, the thing is supposed to be rather cryptic. "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Fire" with a little Biz on there somewhere to set the context would get the message across to the ten people in the world who would get it.

I think it should cut right to the heart of the issue:

-[/b]

=[/b]

With a bigger picture of Biz laughing, of course.

• See I don't get it. "Mardi Gras" - "Bells" = "Drums?" Who cares?

I understood what the flames meant, I just didn't like the LOOK of the flames, see.

Maybe losing the drums is a good idea. I mentioned above that having the fire drums implies that the break is only fire when the bells are absent. I think the break is ill either way, so I was against the fire for that reason.

Maybe the image after the equals sign should just be Biz's face with his tongue all out with a "Got it!" or "You don't know bout this" word balloon or something. I think this conveys the mystique of the whole situation while eliminating the drum issue altogether.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Dude!!

Bapt..........

• Maybe the image after the equals sign should just be Biz's face with his tongue all out with a "Got it!" or "You don't know bout this" word balloon or something. I think this conveys the mystique of the whole situation while eliminating the drum issue altogether.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts

If this is like an equation (mardi - bells =X) did Biz ever do a video wearing a mortar board? As in 'knowledge dropped', 'Biz be schooling'?

mask - bells =

Also, the above is the first image where I can make out the mask. On the grey the bridge of the nose seems to bo missing.

Double also, how much is that ebay mardi gras going to end at? I call $1000, marcofunk winner, message "can you make sure the record is rael funk, w/out the bells"

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Really, if you want to know my opinion, i wouldn't buy such a shirt. But i would buy one with this :

"mardi gras" - "bells" = "Biz face"

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    A very interesting interview on brake edits...

I thought that was the same case, it was originally made with out the bells and then it came out with the bells. Bizmarkie told me he had it.[/b]

Let me tell you about Bizmarkie, remember that guy I was telling you about Lenny, well Biz bought his collection right before he died, so Biz has that ???Mardi Gras??? with out the Bells. He has it in his collection and other stuff nobody has, because this guy Lenny had it all. So if Biz says he has it, he has it. Now it is rare, but it isn???t all that and at that time like I said earlier I wasn???t a big fan of it any way. As far as I am concerned you could cut it like that if you wanted to. That???s if you are fast enough. I remember one day Flash was cutting up an Ashford and Simpson song and I don???t remember the name off the top of my head but it was one of those three second breaks and he caught it. Along with a Roy Ayers record that also had a 3 second cut and Flash would catch that also.

http://www.jayquan.com/brakes.htm

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Someone asked for this one