best soulful hip-hop albums of '07 ?

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
some of my favorites of the year so far...Decompoze - DecompositionDJ Day - The Day BeforeDr. Becket - Docta Bec EPJazz Addixx - Oxygen: RefreshedKJ-52 - The YearbookMarco Polo - Port AuthoritySoulstice - Dead Letter PerfectSputnik Brown - U Havin' Fun Yet 12"The Upstarts - The Know How (!)Wade Waters - Dark WaterX-Clan - Return From MeccaY Society - Travel At Your Own Pace[/b]honorable mentions:Zimbabwe Legit - House Of StoneOhmega Watts - Watts HappeningJ-Live - Reveal The Secret EPBlack Milk - Popular DemandCommon - Finding ForeverRob-O - Rhyme Prowhat am I missing that I should check before '08 hits, so I'm not too from "true hip-hop"[/b] ?? ?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What do you mean by "Soulfull"?

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    You gotta check Blu and Exile's "Below the Heavens"....

I haven't herd a lot of those records but Marco Polo dropped a real banger with Port Authority....I also dug the Jazz Addixx record and am suprised to see it up on your list.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    You gotta check Blu and Exile's "Below the Heavens"....

I haven't herd a lot of those records but Marco Polo dropped a real banger with Port Authority....I also dug the Jazz Addixx record and am suprised to see it up on your list.
    I checked that Blu joint. none of the songs stuck out enough for me. It was ok... I could see potential.

I'm friends w/Ragz & Mudd (Jazz Addixx) but it is a very solid album anyways.

What do you mean by "Soulful"?
    I guess albums with substance, but still innovative. Maybe not gangster, violent, masogynistic, materialistic, etc. (maybe this is the wrong forum )

Musical.[/b]

soul??ful /ˈsoʊlfəl/

???adjective
    of or expressive of deep feeling or emotion

• (maybe this is the wrong forum )

I see cloning in your future.

I guess[/b] albums with substance, but still innovative. Maybe not gangster, violent, masogynistic, materialistic, etc. (maybe this is the wrong forum )

• soul??ful /ˈsoʊlfəl/

???adjective

The definition you listed could be applied a lot more broadly than is indicated by the rest of your post, no?

• What do you mean by "Soulful"?
    I guess albums with substance, but still innovative. (maybe this is the wrong forum
    )

Musical.[/b]

soul??ful /ˈsoʊlfəl/

???adjective

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    best european hip-hop albums of '07

soul??ful /ˈsoʊlfəl/

???adjective

The definition you listed could be applied a lot more broadly than is indicated by the rest of your post, no?

yes, you are probably right. I guess I should just re-title the thread... "If I like... what else should I check in '07 (HHR)"

best european hip-hop albums of '07
    yeah I was thinking I might need to wait for Europe to get on here.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Y Society - Travel At Your Own Pace
    [/b]

I'll ride for this as well these
    Percee P - Perseverance.
    Killah Priest - The Offering.
    Blue Sky Black Death/Hell Razah - Razah's Ladder.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

What do you mean by "Soulful"?
    I guess albums with substance, but still innovative. Maybe not gangster, violent, masogynistic, materialistic, etc.

With that criteria, sadly, instrumentals may be your best bet.

I don't know some of the artists you cited. Did you check out Cunninlynguists, Devin, Jean Grae? The first and last probably meet your definition of soulful hip-hop, and Devin probably fits most everybody else's.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    despite the cloning

thank you very uch for these recommendations

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

Did you check out Cunninlynguists, Devin, Jean Grae? The first and last probably meet your definition of soulful hip-hop, and Devin probably fits most everybody else's.
    I did check Devin's album. I thought To Tha Extreme was stronger and I enjoyed that one more.

what did Cunninlynguists put out this year?

are you recommending Jean Grae's - The Orchestral Files?

Percee P - Perseverance.
    Blue Sky Black Death/Hell Razah - Razah's Ladder.
    thanks, I'll check these. wasn't feeling The Offering though

I did check Devin's album. I thought To Tha Extreme was stronger and I enjoyed that one more.

Definitely.

what did Cunninlynguists put out this year?

New album out right about now called Dirty Acres.

are you recommending Jean Grae's - The Orchestral Files?

It's a mix-tape/comp of mostly new material, so it doesn't make a cogent statement as an album or anything, but after a few listens there are some really nice individual tracks on there.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this will be the album of the year:

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The new DJ Jazzy Jeff
    i like this actually

• man I'm getting dumb old - I haven't heard a single record in mord's list.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think age has anything to do w/ it

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All guaranteed to be more "soulful" than anything listed in this post so far...

But this was part of his criteria: " Maybe not gangster, violent, masogynistic, materialistic"

• i dont think age has anything to do w/ it

I got the last Redman & American Gangster records on repeat. it doesn't even dawn on me to check for new cats.

I got the last Redman records on repeat.

But this was part of his criteria: " Maybe not gangster, violent, masogynistic, materialistic"

Oh so, maybe not human???

And for good measure...no, I'm not willing to concede the word "soulful" to such a lame, shortsighted criteria.

Rap-wise, Z-Ro is clearly the most soulful artist anywhere...so plaese to start with him and work down.

I'm not willing to concede the word "soulful" to such a lame, shortsighted criteria.

And ill even say that in the history of Rap alot of Gangsta shit has been the most Soulfull shit out.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Eww.

Eww.

Aw, did they steal your candy, lil baby?

• All guaranteed to be more "soulful" than anything listed in this post so far...

Oh so, maybe not human???

And for good measure...no, I'm not willing to concede the word "soulful" to such a lame, shortsighted criteria.

Rap-wise, Z-Ro is clearly the most soulful artist anywhere...so plaese to start with him and work down.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! STFU!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Eww.

Aw, did they steal your candy, lil baby?
    I call for their extermination.

• I'm not willing to concede the word "soulful" to such a lame, shortsighted criteria.

And ill even say that in the history of Rap alot of Gangsta shit has been the most Soulfull shit out.

agreed.

as far as recent shit, I'd have to say the new UGK is quite soulful by my interpretation of the word. probably moreso than any other rap album I've heard that's come out this year. which I guess isn't saying much.