Red Sox Bullpen Drum Circle

Comments

• Oh jesus, here we go again with the "our team sucked so bad for so long, please humor us!"

Guess what, pretty much every team (even the Yankees) have stunk the field up consecutive seasons at some point in their history. Get over it. Boston is the 2nd biggest budget ballclub in the majors, has easily the most talented club in the majors, and even has a brand new fanbase who's just as rabid about the Sox as people who actually gave a fuck ten years ago. Yall are SUPPOSED to win the title.

You can't be David and Goliath at once.

Johnny, please. The Yankees play Frickin' Rocky at their stadium, and try to play up the plucky-underdog-story.

And, even though the Red Sox won in 2004, and just came back against the Indians, guess what still runs every game?

Bill Buckner in 1986, and last night's blowout was no exception. The media likes that storyline, and they will pound it to death. So, forgive Red Sox fans if they want to shout it down the other way.

As for their payroll, they have a lot more in common with teams 2-5 on that list than the team at number 1. The Red Sox and Rockies payrolls COMBINED don't equal the Yankees. So, enough with this, "You are what you hate!" shit. It is tirrrrrrrrrred.

Sort of like me after watching that game last night. Beat...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "humor us!"

i dont give a fuck if i'm "humored" or not, i'm just saying i like to see my team kick fuckin ass. whatever, guy.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

You can't be David and Goliath at once.

You're missing the point here even though that's a true statement... we were David for so long that it feels good to be Goliath now.

• Before the signing of Clemens, the yankees were around 195 mil. The Sox were around 145, right? And you guys paid 50 mil just to TALK to Dice-K? Please. Your analogy has nothing to do with the Yankees or Red Sox, but all to do with the microscopic payroll of the Rockies.

Boston is a powerhouse. I respect it. You have an immensely talented squad, and they get paid well. But the little man complex is ridiculous. Boston will be a contender for years to come. Time to start acting like it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Before the signing of Clemens, the yankees were around 195 mil. The Sox were around 145, right? And you guys paid 50 mil just to TALK to Dice-K? Please. Your analogy has nothing to do with the Yankees or Red Sox, but all to do with the microscopic payroll of the Rockies.

Boston is a powerhouse. I respect it. You have an immensely talented squad, and they get paid well. But the little man complex is ridiculous. Boston will be a contender for years to come. Time to start acting like it.

Amen.

• I've just been taking a look at these '90s Red Sox teams that you're so desperately trying to forget.

For the decade of the '90s they went 814-741 for a WP of .523 (average of 85 W and 77 L a year - exactly what the NL Central winning Cubs did this year). They made the playoffs four times. I can think of about 28 teams that would love to have decades that bad.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I've just been taking a look at these '90s Red Sox teams that you're so desperately trying to forget.

For the decade of the '90s they went 814-741 for a WP of .523 (average of 85 W and 77 L a year - exactly what the NL Central winning Cubs did this year). They made the playoffs four times. I can think of about 28 teams that would love to have decades that bad.

i want to win the world series dammit! what are you people arguing here!?

• I think it's comical that four baseball teams have captains. So useless...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn, Jonny - I understand you hate the Red Sox, but lately
    you just are coming off MAD, plain and simple.

I mean, the Red Sox have won TWO World Series in the last 90
    years ... in that time, the Yankees have won TWENTY-SIX. So,
    Sox fans aren't supposed to be a little excited about a chance
    for another? Not to mention, we did have win 3 straight elimination games
    to even reach the World Series. Are we underdogs? No. But let us enjoy our
    run without being told we shouldn't be proud of it ... damn.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    As an aside...

The most irritating thing about the bandwagon dieheard Sox fans post-2001 is that they don't realize how annoying they are with their "no really it's still pre-2000 we're just the (other) lovable losers" mindset. At least bandwagon Cowboys fans know their place.

God help us if the Eagles ever win a Super Bowl.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    even though i want the rockies to win, i kinda like tim wakefield. i find the knuckleball and knuckleball pitchers fascinating. and watching one in slowmotion is almost surreal to me.

anyway, i never really paid attention before last night, but josh beckett's curveball is Frickin' nasty.

• Before the signing of Clemens, the yankees were around 195 mil. The Sox were around 145, right? And you guys paid 50 mil just to TALK to Dice-K? Please. Your analogy has nothing to do with the Yankees or Red Sox, but all to do with the microscopic payroll of the Rockies.

Fine; Add Clemens, and NYY is at $213.

Prorate Dice K's posting fee over the six years of his contract, and the Sox are at $153.5.

You can still add the Rockies, and a host of other teams before equaling the Yankees. And, yes, while that may say something about the Rockies, you know it is only a half truth to point out the Sox are in second. THEY ARE WHOLE TEAMS AWAY FROM THE TEAM IN FIRST! It is a huge difference, much larger than the difference between the 1-2 teams. In fact, at this site, taking the numbers I quoted above (153.3) the difference between 1-2 is the difference between 2-12!
    (EDIT: CORRECTED MATH...from 2-12.)

Moving on, I think many Sox fans are embracing more of a winning/strive for greatness attitude. But, when every national broadcast depends on POUNDING home the most ignominious moments in franchise history, a fan base can get resentful. Hey, from your lips to Fox/David Hill's ears...Leave the Buckner shit alone, and let the story of the baseball team tell itself.

Edit to add one last thing: there is no doubt the sox are a big market team, who spends big, not unlike their cheif competition. But, so far, they have been more successful at it, being that both teams have reached a world series with a payroll over $100 million, but only Boston has one the crown. And, maybe twice...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    even though i want the rockies to win, i kinda like tim wakefield. i find the knuckleball and knuckleball pitchers fascinating. and watching one in slowmotion is almost surreal to me.

anyway, i never really paid attention before last night, but josh beckett's curveball is Frickin' nasty.

They left Wakefield off the WS roster, sadly.

Becket is unfuckwithable. I remember when he KILLED the Cubs during the Bartman season. Everyone was all caught up on one missed foul ball catch when this guy slaughtered them.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

It's not a question about being proud. You should be. It's that instead of just being proud and telling people "You know what? Fuck y'all, we're about to win a second one in four seasons," it's more complaining about not being respected and being amazed that people don't view the Sox as the pre-2000 lovable losers anymore. TWENTY SIX TEAMS HAVE A TOTAL OF TWO OR LESS, you're not special in that regard. Phillies fans whine less.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It's not a question about being proud. You should be. It's that instead of just being proud and telling people "You know what? Fuck y'all, we're about to win a second one in four seasons," it's more complaining about not being respected and being amazed that people don't view the Sox as the pre-2000 lovable losers anymore. TWENTY SIX TEAMS HAVE A TOTAL OF TWO OR LESS, you're not special in that regard. Phillies fans whine less.

As a Sox fan since the '70s...I gotta cosign here.

Cubs fans have inherited the mantle of destiny's red-headed stepchild.

• I don't know how yall construe what I say as being mad! I have said that Boston is very talented and deserves all the accolades and success they've received. What I am getting sick of is the perpetual little dude complex that Boston fans like to rock on their sleeve when the team at this point is anything but. When they lose, it's "woe is Boston, we're cursed" and when they win, it's "Red Sox Nation!" Whatever man. Get in where you fit I guess.

"We are a whole team's budget below the Yankees!" Well, you're a whole team's budget above the next in line. To read this thread, it's you guys that sound mad.

Gareth save the fishy accounting tricks for your day job!

• Damn, Jonny - I understand you hate the Red Sox, but lately

EXACTLY.

Me: Boston is very talented, I don't know why you guys are so mad all the time

Boston fans: HEY FUCK YOU PAL! WE FOUGHT HARD FOR THIS! WE HAVE LESS PAYROLL THAN THE YANKEES AND ONLY TWO TITLES! JUMP OFF THE GREEN MONSTER WHY DON'T YA!

roll eyes

In all seriousness, can someone point out these
    "whiny" Sox fans who are claiming to be cursed?
    Because I don't know anybody around here talking that
    shit. We know we have a good team. We expected to be here
    or at least come close. Like Gareth said, it's FOX and the
    national media that play up the "lovable losers" element.

I mean, shit, we came back from down 3-1 to win a series. That
    is what it is, a great comeback. Just because we were favorites
    doesn't make it any less impressive, IMO. But nobody, and I mean
    NOBODY was claiming "curse" or "legacy of losing" when we were
    down 3-1. NOBODY.

The only "whining" I've done all season is when Eric Gagne enters
    a game, 11-run-lead or no 11-run-lead

• YOU NEED TO COME TO NYC AND WITNESS THE ROWDY MASSHOLE CARPETBAGGUERRES WHO FEEL IT'S THEIR DUTY TO COLONIZE THE NEIGHBORHOOD SPORTS BAR AND SPORT THEIR SWEAT STAINED BALLCAPS TO WORK EVERY DAY.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Eric Gagne

Was he redeemed last night, or just lucky that everybody -- Rockies included -- wanted to go home by that point?

Dude looks like a huge nerd with those glasses though.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Eric Gagne

Was he redeemed last night, or just lucky that everybody -- Rockies included -- wanted to go home by that point?

Dude looks like a huge nerd with those glasses though.

i hated him so much on the dodgers

OH SHIT HE DROPPED SUPERMAN II KNEEL BEFORE ZOD AUD*EY ON ME

I speak not for Boston emigres in NYC. Maybe they play that card
    a little more because they lived among the enemy for so long.

Here in the City of Champions[/b] we are taking it all in stride

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

I mean, shit, we came back from down 3-1 to win a series. That
    is what it is, a great comeback. Just because we were favorites
    doesn't make it any less impressive, IMO. But nobody, and I mean
    NOBODY was claiming "curse" or "legacy of losing" when we were
    down 3-1. NOBODY.

The only "whining" I've done all season is when Eric Gagne enters
    a game, 11-run-lead or no 11-run-lead

Mainly, it's not people in Boston (well, maybe the surrounding suburbs), it's the HUGE influx of diehards nationwide circa 2001 or later who wrap themselves in some tangential-at-best starting point (e.g., a great uncle used to live in Boston, they went to Fenway once as a kid and suddenly remembered, etc.) and perpetuate the stuff Johnny and I have been saying.

It's way worse than other bandwagoners because of how oblivious they are. At least Yankees, Cowboys, etc. bandwagon dudes know how they're perceived and know they're despicable.

• Options
    Sween,

someone at lunch was arguing they're sick of it as well, and i'll say this. i understand it seems overly cute and all, but man...sitting on the bench is boring in baseball. i had to quit at age 15 (couldn't hit curveballs) and really sucked my last year on my HS team, so I was on the bench.

that was the spring i learned to juggle. so, i just figure they're doing stupid shit to keep themselves entertained.

Oh hell no I'm not sick of it, I'm just saying it reminds me of the girls I would watch during softball games. You're better off having them rub Poland Spring bottles together than pull a David Cone and whip their dicks out to girls in the crowd.

At the same time, a separate scandal pushed Cone onto the front pages of the New York tabloids. Three women had filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Cone, claiming he exposed himself to them while he was in the bullpen during a 1989 game at Shea. The incident was the lowest and most embarrassing moment of his career.

The Sox are some kumbayah singing boyscouts compared to my team...err...80's-90's version of my team. Show me Papelbon with a case on his head and some goggles (which is a great photo by the way), I'll show you a Daily News backpage showing half a squad lounging on the field swigging champagne on a couch they brought out of the clubhouse.

I got mixed feelings about rooting for Boston. On the one hand, I've been a fan of Manny's since he played for George Washington coupled with I hardly know any Rockies players. On the other hand, I liked the years when Boston was NY's redheaded stepnephew and now you're dominating every damn sport I care about.

But all that aside, I'm for Boston since Colorado doesn't interest me at all. No bandwagon either, SOIce can back me up from a previous PM.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Mainly, it's not people in Boston (well, maybe the surrounding suburbs), it's the HUGE influx of diehards nationwide circa 2001 or later who wrap themselves in some tangential-at-best starting point (e.g., a great uncle used to live in Boston, they went to Fenway once as a kid and suddenly remembered, etc.) and perpetuate the stuff Johnny and I have been saying.

For the record considering I live in the bay area now, I grew up in Plymouth, MA and come from 3 generations of hardcore Sox fans. My grandfather used to have season tickets back in the day when my mom was growing up. I also hate the post 2004 bandwagon "fans". You used to be able to start a conversation with anyone wearing a Sox hat nationwide. Now you can't tell if they're real fans or not.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Exactly. I haven't heard a Bostonian talking that curse mess since 2004. Once we won the Series, it's been a whole new lease on life. Each pre-season, all anyone talks about is how good the team is, and how great Epstein was in the off-season. Hell, I wake up every day to Curtis singing "We're A Winner."

Paycheck???You sound like a foreigner who thinks America is like an episode of Desperate Housewives.

Here in the City of Champions[/b] we are taking it all in stride

I prefer Titletown[/b], but that works too.

• You sound like a foreigner

^^^ CLASSY BOSTON FAN ^^^

You sound like a foreigner

^^^ CLASSY BOSTON FAN ^^^

What can I say? I'm a wicked classy dood.

• Hey Johnny,
    I totally understand where you are coming from..it's sickening and I am die hard Red Sox fan since 75'. Anyway, for me I have been living in NYC since mid-94' and I have sported my Red Sox hat pretty much since then. Thru all the bad and wack years. What I hate is the new jack red sox fans acting like assholes. Most of them don't know anything about baseball, but they feel they know everything. Also I am tired of those same assholes asking me if I am "dominican" or "are you from Wash. Hts." because I have red sox hat on. Like dominicians are the only red sox fans that are non-white in NYC. And those same jerks aren't even from boston..they look at me like "wow you're black and from boston." go jump in the charles!!! Anyway, Red Sox forever!!!

amir