Half Price Books & Music (banned related)

youknowyouknowyouknowyouknow 264 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
I went to Half Price today to return some records. On all of the returns you provide your drivers license, so I gave the woman mine and instantly went to the phone, read off my name, and told me to wait for the manager. The manager came up and said that I've returned to much stuff and they have the right to refuse returns from anyone. She concluded by saying I'll never be allowed to return an item at any Half Price stores again. Provided, I bring stuff back every week, as well as purchase stuff, she felt my consistancy was unwarranted.

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I went to Half Price today to return some records. On all of the returns you provide your drivers license, so I gave the woman mine and instantly went to the phone, read off my name, and told me to wait for the manager. The manager came up and said that I've returned to much stuff and they have the right to refuse returns from anyone. She concluded by saying I'll never be allowed to return an item at any Half Price stores again. Provided, I bring stuff back every week, as well as purchase stuff, she felt my consistancy was unwarranted.

How much do you return?

• I am unfamiliar with that place, but do they considerably more than your other record stores? Or do you rather deal with them for store credit or something?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why would you need to return something every week at ANY store?

• autoauto 198 Posts
    if you buy a record you dont like you can just return it i believe.

• I think if you are returning stuff every week you are either a) ripping and running or b) a very difficult customer. Aren't records at Half Price Books very cheap? It's a store not a lending library.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I think if you are returning stuff every week you are either a) ripping and running or b) a very difficult customer. Aren't records at Half Price Books very cheap? It's a store not a lending library.

cosign.... this is one of the biggest pains in the ass at our shop. If theres a scratch that really affects play, we'll obviously take it back, but people constantly come in on some "OH I ALREADY HAD THIS AND DIDNT REALIZE IT", or "I JUST DONT LIKE IT". We even have a player in the store to preview records. Dudes play this game with the CD's all day too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    your diggin game is indeed.

• I thought you meant just selling this shop old records you no longer wanted(frequently). But if you just buying and returning tons of records, of course they are going to look at you kinda shady and put a stop to it.

• so i hit the local HP books on the regular here in Austin. thing is, they are all cool with me bringing a portable in to preview stuff. EXCEPT when the regional manager is around who HATES the portables for some reaon I can't fathom...and her justification is that you don't need to bring in a portable becaue you can return anything you want.

When the Burnet location opened up a few years ago, I did not bring in a portable because the Guadalupe location mostly didn't allow them and this store was its replacement. I bought a bunch of tuff on sight alone and ended up returning at least half of it (I don't do this on the regular). The employee taking my return was a little irritated (understandably), but he told me to bring in a portable if I had one the next time.

if buying $4-5 terds gives you heartburn like it does me (on a budget), then bring a portable if you can.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

No offense but why even post some clown ass shit like this anyway?? I am just saying....

• The only time I've ever thought to return a record was if it was defective. I thought buying crappy records on sight alone was part of the game. Shows what I know.

• Usually the records I am returning are records that I take a chance buying, for sampling purposes, unusual sounds, mostly new age records, experimental ect. Many of the records I buy there I keep (jazz, psych ect) Being a poor college student doesn't allow me to purchase as much as I'd like, so I looked at their liberal return policy as a way to circumvent my sickly bank account. I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

No offense but why even post some clown ass shit like this anyway?? I am just saying....

Let me add to these sentiments I collected as a broke teenager and college student and I took my lumps on purchases as much as anyone. If I didn't like something, I'd put it on my TRADE and not RETURN pile. Man up, dude, and stop being a prick. Guys like you make it hard for serious collectors. It helps to make nice-nice with the dealers, holmes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100

How do you exchange more than you spend? I'd ban you from my shop too!

• I went to Half Price today to return some records. On all of the returns you provide your drivers license, so I gave the woman mine and instantly went to the phone, read off my name, and told me to wait for the manager. The manager came up and said that I've returned to much stuff and they have the right to refuse returns from anyone. She concluded by saying I'll never be allowed to return an item at any Half Price stores again. Provided, I bring stuff back every week, as well as purchase stuff, she felt my consistancy was unwarranted.

Message board reps burnt down with Rome

• I am unfamiliar with that place, but do they considerably more than your other record stores? Or do you rather deal with them for store credit or something?

I just delt with store credit.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

+$20?

• I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

+$20?

Say I spent $80 on a visit, took back $50 for store credit, outputing $30. I'd then exchange the $50 store credit for some more records, keep some records, exchange others. I was always spending, but it would provide me the ability to peep genres outside of rock/jazz/soul, some i would keep, others exchange, always dealing within their limits.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

+$20?

Say I spent $80 on a visit, took back $50 for store credit, outputing $30. I'd then exchange the $50 store credit for some more records, keep some records, exchange others. I was always spending, but it would provide me the ability to peep genres outside of rock/jazz/soul, some i would keep, others exchange, always dealing within their limits.

I've never refused a return and I have never had anyone play your game. I hope I never do.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

+$20?

I found you a new avatar. Take your pick.

"I'll gladly return Tuesday to sample it today"

• I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

+$20?

I found you a new avatar. Take your pick.

"I'll gladly return Tuesday to sample it today"

Thanks, I'll stick with Soft Machine

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Retails stores of all kinds have become hip to the "Ebay Game".

I know a guy who had this shit down pat until the stores became hip to him.

Everytime a big movie came out he would go to Toys R Us and buy everydamnthing related to this movie.....toys, bedsprads, you name it.

He would immediately go home and list them on ebay for 5 days with the minimum bid being what he paid for the item. On the 6th day he would take everything that didn't sell back to Toys R Us for a refund.

They finally caught on and he was banned from returning shit.

Ingenius, as he made some decent cash.....but eventually BUSTED!!.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Retails stores of all kinds have become hip to the "Ebay Game".

I know a guy who had this shit down pat until the stores became hip to him.

Everytime a big movie came out he would go to Toys R Us and buy everydamnthing related to this movie.....toys, bedsprads, you name it.

He would immediately go home and list them on ebay for 5 days with the minimum bid being what he paid for the item. On the 6th day he would take everything that didn't sell back to Toys R Us for a refund.

They finally caught on and he was banned from returning shit.

Ingenius, as he made some decent cash.....but eventually BUSTED!!.

Sounds like a rather labor-intensive hustle though. I assume he was clearing a decent amount?

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

"If my heart is a war...
    Its soldiers are bleeding."

"If my heart is a war...
    Its soldiers are dead!"[/b]

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wow, it's people who pull this kind of BS that make spots highly suspicious of record collectors. I bought at least 60 records from one HPB books over the course of this year, never returned a thing, even when I ended up with a turd. Never returned a record to my local shop in Santa Cruz either. If you need to "peep other genres than rock and soul" then get a portable. Though at this point, if I was them, I wouldn't let you use it.

Sorry man, but you deserve to get banned. Lesson learned.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    you deserve to get banned.

• Message board reps burnt down with Rome

damn,you sound like a dickhead, but that response was kinda thorough

• Wow, it's people who pull this kind of BS that make spots highly suspicious of record collectors. I bought at least 60 records from one HPB books over the course of this year, never returned a thing, even when I ended up with a turd. Never returned a record to my local shop in Santa Cruz either. If you need to "peep other genres than rock and soul" then get a portable. Though at this point, if I was them, I wouldn't let you use it.

Sorry man, but you deserve to get banned. Lesson learned.

Yeah, a portable is what I need...Amobea L.A. allows returns on anything and gives 75% credit. I would sometimes do that as many others do, before I moved, and saw the process as a win-win, since there were records there that had one track on it I wanted, or some sounds i'd like to have, return it, under THEIR policy and continue to search. I was recently told about Half Price Books return policy and took it as an opportunity to buy, listen, record more, previously spending a lot of money there and continuing to shop often. It may be a little shaddy, but i'm within their return policy limits. Either way, i'll still shop there, i'll just buy a portable, it's about time anyway.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I chop and I change and the mystery thickens

There's blood on my hands and you want me to listen

To brawn and to brain when the truth's in the middle

Born of the grain like all good riddles
    [/b]

• i dont know what you are saying but this is a dope movie