Half Price Books & Music (banned related)

Comments

• I think I have some portables around here somewhere in storage, if you are interested, I will dig em out and see what I have. PM me if so.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think I have some portables around here somewhere in storage, if you are interested, I will dig em out and see what I have. PM me if so.

Make sure to send a return mail sticker!

• I think I have some portables around here somewhere in storage, if you are interested, I will dig em out and see what I have. PM me if so.

Make sure to send a return mail sticker!

• Dr Who Raer !

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I went to Half Price today to return some records. On all of the returns you provide your drivers license, so I gave the woman mine and instantly went to the phone, read off my name, and told me to wait for the manager. The manager came up and said that I've returned to much stuff and they have the right to refuse returns from anyone. She concluded by saying I'll never be allowed to return an item at any Half Price stores again. Provided, I bring stuff back every week, as well as purchase stuff, she felt my consistancy was unwarranted.

No offense but why even post some clown ass shit like this anyway?? I am just saying....

Let me add to these sentiments I collected as a broke teenager and college student and I took my lumps on purchases as much as anyone. If I didn't like something, I'd put it on my TRADE and not RETURN pile. Man up, dude, and stop being a prick. Guys like you make it hard for serious collectors. It helps to make nice-nice with the dealers, holmes.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    for real. buying turds give you character.
    Ive been buying records on the broke tip for years and have not returned one yet. I take it as a loss and move the fuck on. Then all the bs gets accumulated in my attic where one day i will just dump lot upon lot of terdy shit to local shops or salvos. Best thing to do when you are broke is to do your Frickin' homework so you dont end up with bins of lawernce welk and 101 strings terds. Sounds like you need to stay out of the real stores and hit the fleas and thrift/salvos to get the little dude outta your system before pulling that toy shit.

Oh and to touch on the portable issue. I own one and i never bring it to the shop. Takes the fun out of digging IMO. I like coming home with a stack of god knows what and listen to them like im scratching off lotto tickets. Some are winners, others get shit canned. Not really a big deal to me. I would hate having to lay on some dirty ass floor and go through a stack of records needle dropping each one like a fool. thats just how i roll.

but yeah exchanging more then you are spending is just ridiculous. I dont care if you are on food stamps with a crack habit. You still dont do that shit.

MAN THE FUCK UP LITTLE DUDE

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The only thing about anyone on here that really matters to me is what records (or music) they have, so with that in mind, I say get the goods by any sordid methods necessary. Just make sure to report back with your findings.

youknowyouknow, you have my blessing.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    The only thing about anyone on here that really matters to me is what records (or music) they have, so with that in mind, I say get the goods by any sordid methods necessary. Just make sure to report back with your findings.

youknowyouknow you have my blessing.

YEAH MAN AND WHILE WERE EXCHANGING SHIT WE DIDNT EVEN BUY FROM THE SHOP, LETS GET TO RACKING WHILE WERE AT IT.

This shit is hard to take seriously from a dude who snipes auctions with a trust fund hourly.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Thanks, I'll stick with Soft Machine

You don't deserve the Soft Machine. How about this?

- spidey

• Thanks, I'll stick with Soft Machine

You don't deserve the Soft Machine. How about this?

- spidey

For taking back records? ehhh, a little harsh.

!!!

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    you guys are silly. If a store has a return policy and no listening table I use the shit out of it. It's THIER policy. Bookmans in town will let you return anything w/ in 7 days, and I fuckin' do it, MAN.

• you guys are silly. If a store has a return policy and no listening table I use the shit out of it. It's THIER policy. Bookmans in town will let you return anything w/ in 7 days, and I fuckin' do it, MAN.

Me too, at Bookmans. I don't abuse it though, maybe a couple a month with those real old records which look super clean but sound awful.

I definitely won't buy something thinking "well, if I don't like it I'll just return it". If it happens, it happens. I appreciate Bookmans for this, one reason I return again and again.

• It's not whether it's within the policy, it's whether it constitutes abuse of said policy, which it clearly does. There's no argument. Any store can refuse service to anyone.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I don't think I've ever returned a record in my life...

if it's wack, put the shit in a pile and put it on ebay.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Most of the 2nd hand stores i frequent are run by cool guys. I never ask for a receipt and they always tell me if i don't like anything that i can bring it back. I rarely do.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Dude returns records and the strut backlash ensues. Get a rope!

I semi-recently found out that you could return records. So I bought about 15 45s blindly one day which I like to do. 1-3 bucks each. about 11 of them sucked ass which is to be expected. So I kept the 4, got 4 shitty 45s out of my turd pile to replace them, and returned 15 45s for a full refund. I got 4 45s for free!

I've also kicked a cat for no reason.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    i know huh, soulstrut the moral compass?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I semi-recently found out that you could return records. So I bought about 15 45s blindly one day which I like to do. 1-3 bucks each. about 11 of them sucked ass which is to be expected. So I kept the 4, got 4 shitty 45s out of my turd pile to replace them, and returned 15 45s for a full refund. I got 4 45s for free!

But did you "rough up" the unplayed ones before returning them?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

But did you "rough up" the unplayed ones before returning them?

Only the rare ones

• I mean everyone I think has some bones in their closet with regard to stealing, tag switching, or some other way of getting over with records, but at the same time... I mean, I own a record shop. So does Dan (Laserwolf). So do friends of mine... and at this point I can't really sit here and endorse that kind of behavior. The idea that you would actually switch out 4 records over what probably amounted to $5 seems so ridiculously petty. How old are you? Or worse, how broke?

I think there's a better way to respond to this than just piling up, and I regret any role in that, because if someone more schooled in the game had approached me the right way years ago I probably wouldn't have done half the foul shit I ended up paying for (record karma is REAL) years later.

So to the young scrap who is just trying to work his hustle, and the old scrap who seems to have not shed his juvenile ways, I would say that everything comes back around. And hey, you never know what records you will end up digging or finding a hot beat on down the road...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think I've returned maybe 3 records in my whole life and all were new/sealed with defects. And even then I felt kind lame. I mean, it's a record.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I really think it's got fuck all to do with morals.
    If you treat a shop like your own little-dude-private-record-library, thats one thing. The fact that they got wise to the weak game dude was trying to pull, and gave him the ban is another. But to then go on the internet a whine about it is just plain

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    my record guy actually lets me take records home, w/o having even paid yet, to check them out and see if i like them. if not, i bring em back the next week.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I mean everyone I think has some bones in their closet with regard to stealing, tag switching, or some other way of getting over with records, but at the same time... I mean, I own a record shop. So does Dan (Laserwolf). So do friends of mine... and at this point I can't really sit here and endorse that kind of behavior. The idea that you would actually switch out 4 records over what probably amounted to $5 seems so ridiculously petty. How old are you? Or worse, how broke?

I think there's a better way to respond to this than just piling up, and I regret any role in that, because if someone more schooled in the game had approached me the right way years ago I probably wouldn't have done half the foul shit I ended up paying for (record karma is REAL) years later.

So to the young scrap who is just trying to work his hustle, and the old scrap who seems to have not shed his juvenile ways, I would say that everything comes back around. And hey, you never know what records you will end up digging or finding a hot beat on down the road...

Jonny_Paycheck = East Coast Rockadelic

And hey, you never know what records you will end up digging or finding a hot beat on down the road...

^^^^^ this is a classic Rock's post final line ^^^^^^

And just to clarify, I really like Rock's style

• I really think it's got fuck all to do with morals.
    If you treat a shop like your own little-dude-private-record-library, thats one thing. The fact that they got wise to the weak game dude was trying to pull, and gave him the ban is another. But to then go on the internet a whine about it is just plain

I didn't post this to get sympathy, dood. but thought it was a funny story about a dude who gets banned from returning items, with THEIR return policy, whatever. The 'whining' i can only see as your interpretation. I'm not hateful about the situation, I'll continuing shopping there, I just won't take risks on 45s, 78s and whatnot with the hope to find something new. I didn't do anything to disgrace records, steal, maliciously scratch to get a discount, ect.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    The only time I've ever thought to return a record was if it was defective. I thought buying crappy records on sight alone was part of the game. Shows what I know.

for real...I can't even imagine doing this. I love that they track it and prevent people from returning shit though.

• Usually the records I am returning are records that I take a chance buying, for sampling purposes, unusual sounds, mostly new age records, experimental ect. Many of the records I buy there I keep (jazz, psych ect) Being a poor college student doesn't allow me to purchase as much as I'd like, so I looked at their liberal return policy as a way to circumvent my sickly bank account. I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

An especially potent variety of[/b]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I've never returned a record in my life, just take your lumps people.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Usually the records I am returning are records that I take a chance buying, for sampling purposes, unusual sounds, mostly new age records, experimental ect. Many of the records I buy there I keep (jazz, psych ect) Being a poor college student doesn't allow me to purchase as much as I'd like, so I looked at their liberal return policy as a way to circumvent my sickly bank account. I drop about $60-80 a month, and exchange $80-100...I need to cop a portable turntable

Being a broke college student is not an excuse for having a weak record game.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i return raers on the daily.