THE RECORD THAT CAUSED MORE RECORDS TO HAPPEN.....

Comments

• First record I ever bought with my own money:

After this record I got into prog rock, rock, blues, country and more. Got to college and one very stoned night my freshman year I heard this:

This started me down the road to jazz, funk and everything else. Now 15,000 records and my own record store later here I am.

• Not a sound I'm much into anymore, but I keep a copy for sentimental reasons:

white album? john cage? (picture not showing up-related)

• these two records turned me into a 60s Jazz freak a dozen years ago...this is the sound for me when it comes to jazz...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not a sound I'm much into anymore, but I keep a copy for sentimental reasons:

white album? john cage? (picture not showing up-related)

Huh--shows up for me.

Lou Donaldson, Hot Dog.

I'd been dabbling for a few weeks at that point, but this was the record that really started it.

• i already leaning towards 45s, but this record pushed me over the edge.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Actually, it was recorded at the legendary jazz venue Caf?? Montmartre here in Copenhagen. You're probably thinking of the area called Montmartre in Paris.

haha... oops... yeah, i meant Copehagen and i did confuse it w/ Montmartre area in paris.

THANKS!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Summer of '03, bought Wax poetics, bought Nite Liters "Analysis", lit up a cigarette during the moving-in phase of my friend's cluttered condo, sat on the damn ground, with a laptop on top of a drawer, listened to the record, and had my mind blown. This was at the peak of my mp3 downloading, obsessive ebay scouring, grail note-taking stage. I'm not a Funk 45 guy, but I've found other similar stuff enjoyable, most notably the Fatback Band.

• Dude, you were in Kings X? Awesome!

I'm a vanguard in many areas. Orge Tones is the shit!!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Being the oldest kid in my family I didn't have any older sibling influences, luckily my dad had this Seeds record in his collection to set me off in the right direction when I was 16 years old.

• My brother was a Dj when I was younger. He all the 12's on Profile, SugarHill, West End, Cutting Edge, Patrick Adams stuff,Def Jam, Island etc.
    The raer blowfly albums, Ice-t albums, movie sdtk's made me give into more records.

• my unmasked years....

well cotDAMN g*****s! that's a wig or that's really your doo-wop? circa what era?
    i knew you was a headbanger and all, hommie,but cotDAMN!

• this caused more jazz records and related stuff

First Jazz record I ever bought and it was a good choice.

this caused more hip-hop records

I had absolutely no idea about hip-hop when I bought this. The dude in the record store told me that hip-hop sucks, but this record is something he can get by with. I liked it and tried to find equally good records from there on, which was pretty difficult.

• well cotDAMN g*****s! that's a wig or that's really your doo-wop? circa what era?

ain't nothing fraudulent here!!! photo taken in 1985.

the live steez

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That's funny, this is another one....I used to ear 'Compared To What' all the time on WPFW in DC, on some morning jazz show, then I found that LP at the thrift store and realized that it was off this record. And I still play it regularly, and will often reccomend it to newbies to funky jazz.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

well cotDAMN g*****s! that's a wig or that's really your doo-wop? circa what era?

ain't nothing fraudulent here!!! photo taken in 1985.

the live steez

any tapes of the band lying around?

• any tapes of the band lying around?
    yeah - when there's another metalstrut thread I'll post.....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I gotta say, I knew I heard something special when I heard:

and

These two LPs are the earliest I remember listening to (at about 5-6 years old), but pop picked out these joints through the Columbia Record Club. Really, this is an awkward question since I was always inundated with music since birth. Pops played Brubeck and Blakey around the crib, and the Gospel records I grew up with were If we count when I started buying records, I'd have to say:

or

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• First record I got was KISS Alive II....on tape because I couldn't afford the double vinyl set back then.
    My father brought it home with him after work because I wasn't allowed to go into town on my own at that age (10).
    This is the record that got me into music like I am now.

• These two created entire new sections in my collection and got me to travel the world looking for more sounds like them:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    These two created entire new sections in my collection and got me to travel the world looking for more sounds like them:

A lot of the selections on those Luv N Haight comps probably feel dated now but they were a revelation for me too when I first heard them at KALX back in the mid 90s. Really well done stuff...props to McFadden.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    For me lack of cash made me buy less cd's and more records. I would go to thrift stores and for a few bucks I would have new (old) stuff to check out. Which led me to buy more stuff...and so on. In yo face volume 1/2 and blue break beats didn't hurt either. I gotta say soulstrut hasn't hurt either. The one drawback I'm less likely to pick up a reissue because I want the og.

• These two created entire new sections in my collection and got me to travel the world looking for more sounds like them:

A lot of the selections on those Luv N Haight comps probably feel dated now but they were a revelation for me too when I first heard them at KALX back in the mid 90s. Really well done stuff...props to McFadden.

The first two volumes of this were huge for me.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    These two created entire new sections in my collection and got me to travel the world looking for more sounds like them:

The first two volumes of this were huge for me.

and so were the whole LnH series
    Deja Vu, Brotherhood, Evolution et al

what's more, the McF's made sure the artists got their fair share

time for a LnH vs Soul Jazz debate.....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

no contest IMO and a lot of this is based on taste.

I am not up on their releases these days, but back then, this alone put Soul Jazz in a different league imo.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I am not up on their releases these days, but back then, this alone put Soul Jazz in a different league imo.

agreed, great comp IMO
    back then LnH and SJ were in the same space, at times competing on the same track
    e.g. Eddie Russ Lope Song within weeks of each other

Whilst LnH remained truer to the slick release of top class funk/jazz grooves, IMHO Soul Jazz with its punkier attitude has embraced a move towards some quirky issues, eg 'In the Beginning there was Rhythm' which opens up whole new fields for people who trust the label

Still for LnH big time though

• time for a LnH vs Soul Jazz debate.....

agreed, great comp IMO
    back then LnH and SJ were in the same space, at times competing on the same track
    e.g. Eddie Russ Lope Song within weeks of each other

Whilst LnH remained truer to the slick release of top class funk/jazz grooves, IMHO Soul Jazz with its punkier attitude has embraced a move towards some quirky issues, eg 'In the Beginning there was Rhythm' which opens up whole new fields for people who trust the label

Still for LnH big time though

London Jazz Classics vol. 1 meant the world to me when it first came out.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Many such as Earth Wind and Fire and others posted set it off as well.

• big cosign .. really fell into jazz , lots of Miles recordings.

also Live Evil with the amazing work of Michael Henderson. outa sight. after hearing his bass playin i eventaully found stark reality and stark reality sparked a fuse in every direction of music.
    all of a sudden Can and Isaac Hayes were being played one after another, then East of Underground made me get heavily into lots of soul music i had no idea existed

also herbie hancock - headhunters turned me onto to eventually play piano and get heavily into that eletric keyboad sound in albums

curtis/ live sparked my love of his rhtyhm guitar playin and trying to find that sound in other albums came naturally

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts