THE RECORD THAT CAUSED MORE RECORDS TO HAPPEN.....

aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
AND CHANGED THE WAY YOU LISTENED.i'd have to say a tie between two... this is honestly what really set it off... why i got interested in collecting LP's in the first place... first time i heard Sister Mamie, i kept looking the back seat of my friend's Dodge Neon beater to see if there was a baby crying back there (i was out of my head at the time, but still....) I had never heard anything quite that intense before... maybe i would listen now and not hear what i heard upon the first few spins... but there is something in this recording that changed my interest in music upon initial contact. Fluid, loose, uninhibited. Jimmy Lyons sax is all over the place, Cecil's playing permitted me many hours of piano playing w/out ever having played piano before... i developed a full arm style of playing which will never be aired publicly. This was the free-est thing i'd ever heard... and i could not believe it was recorded in the early 60's in France. PEACE

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    and i could not believe it was recorded in the early 60's in France.

Actually, it was recorded at the legendary jazz venue Caf?? Montmartre here in Copenhagen. You're probably thinking of the area called Montmartre in Paris.

For me this is the one that set it off:

When I was around 13 years old, I started noticing the connection between the stuff my parents had been playing when I was smaller and samples in the rap music I was listening to all day everyday at the time. That JB LP was one of the records I would always ask my mother to put on when I was a kid because I loved to dance to "Give It Up Or Turn It Loose" and "Mother Popcorn".

It was the first of many records that slowly made their way from the living room to my room. I think Kool & The Gang "Spirit Of The Boogie" was next in line. When I couldn't find anymore stuff in my parents collection, I started going to town every weekend to buy records at 2nd hand stores, as well as checking the local flea markets and well???you know the rest.

• For me it was.....

My gastronomical stupensity/Is really satisfied when you're lovin me.....

So much going on. Oft-plundered for samples. One of the early concept records and apparently the lp that made the lp a viable option for Stax. Nasty funk. Lush arrangements. The late-night croonings of the man himself. HYPERBOLICSYLLABICSESQUEDALINISTIC.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Listen to this and it will inspire you to do something on a whole new level of intelligence.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Finding this on the cheap really got my into looking of rare Australian records

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

(on cassette tape passed around class)

Borrowed from my parents' friends as a teen (still have it today ) and her voice and the arrangements pretty much laid the standard/springboard for me as far height and depth I want in soul.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This was a big one for me because it was something I found when I first moved to DC, and inspired my interest in this:

and a whole slew of funky sounds that seemed to either originate here in DC, or were consumed here in abundance. It also tied a lot of things together, like the relationship between jazz and soul, etc, things that I had not really been too keyed into prior to hearing these records. Black Byrd opened up a lot of possibilities to me.

• Three and oddly enough:

those two records were staples of my parents' parties. I never understood why they ended the night with Ms. Snow and the cigarettes smelled funny....

first record I ever bought with my own money. Still owned it until I copped an upgrade with inserts 4 years ago. I did the whole drill of painting my face with three of my friends and we'd air band the entire album. I was always Paul.

my unmasked years....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

my unmasked years....

!!!

!!!!!!!

• I dug jazz, funk, and hip hop...but, when I found this record for cheap, it opened doors to a lot of new things.

• !!!

don't hatt - I was Plus Dez Dickerson/Nikki Sixx/Tina Turner were the shit

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

!!!

don't hatt

Quite the opposite, man. I'm LOVING IT!

• This was my first record, inherited from my mother. This set it off:

Then I heard some Mingus a bit later and fell in love with jazz. Jazz is the only music I never get tired of. Well, good jazz, anyway.

• I've always been into music - started with my KISS infatuation (I'm with you man) as a kid and grew from there to being a main theme in my life. Even when CDs first came around I still bought mostly records 'cause they were cheaper and most underground bands didn't have CDs yet.

The record that got me serious about collecting though was:

a couple of weeks after I got my first job at a record store I saw this record on the wall and was intrigued. I asked my boss how much it costs. He barked "Too much for you!" at me. On payday I marched over to the record wall, pulled Pharoah off, and made sure the boss rung me up. How much did it cost? Price sticker said $30. It seemed like so much back then. I took the record home and it was so clean and minty and the sound was so good it took me to other worlds. Oh yeah, when I checked my receipt, he only charged me $10 for the record.

and:

Was mostly into jazz and bought this record blind for $5. I had no idea what was on it, I just liked the cover. When I took it home and heard the all familiar break on "Ashley's Rochclip" it blew my mind. I grew up on Eric B. and Rakim but never knew where most of the samples came from. I was like "if this is out there, just how much more am I missing?" and began a crate digging, break hunting, sample finding frenzy in my life.

MCF

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

my unmasked years....

!!!!!!!

co-!!!!!!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

my unmasked years....

Dude, you were in Kings X? Awesome!

• i got into this album really young and not only is every note burned into my subconscious but it opened my mind to instrumental music

• what the f? me too! i fell in love immediately when i heard "upper egypt and lower egypt" at a friend house. and subsequently i fell in love with sonny sharrock's guitar

my sister gave me my first records. actually her whole hip-hop and house collection. after that i bought 12"s regularly for using in mixtapes and/or playing out but i never really cherished records until i got into jazz.

tauhid is not the first record i bought but i consider it to be in many ways because i got excited to discover more jazz lps, mainly checking for BYG, blue note and impulse.

then i came across Black Sabbath Vol. 4 and thought it had the nicest gatefold book ever. that was the catalyst for kindling my rock obsession. same thing with The Who "Live at Leeds" i love those albums on their own, but in record form they were like baseball cards. i loved all the inserts that came with it. that's when i realized having records are fun. plus you appreciate the album artwork more when it's 12 x 12

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

co-
    that record changed the way i think about a lot of music. it still fucks my head up to this day.

• my unmasked years....

!!!!!!!

co-!!!!!!

I just kinda scrolled through this thread and will admit that when I saw that picture, I thought, "What a weird Hendrix photo. Where's that even from?"

I was not prepared. God damn, that's an awesome photo.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There's a certain irony in the title of this record:

"Hits That Made It Happen" ... a budget-ass
    Soul Train comp that I got probably 18 years
    ago or so ... Dennis Coffey, Curtis, Cymande ...
    this album was the jump-off for almost 2 decades
    of digging to follow. At first I used to just play
    it when I was chilling with my girl, I found soul
    was good make-out music ... then I found myself
    playing it all the time, next I was checking record
    stores for Cymande albums ... the rest is a blur ...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Aleit, you should post stuff like this all the time. It's interesting and puts casual listeners up on cool stuff.

• ayup. probably one of the first records i saw worth it to rip to mp3. that and this.

i like jazz fusion and i give no fuck what anyone thinks.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    A few things;

Ramsey Lewis - Upendo Mi Pamoja
    John Klemmer - Blowning Gold
    Bob James - One
    Quincy Jones - Summer In The City
    Milt Jackson - Memphis Jackson

those 5 albums were the ones my hommie Damage played me and I wanted to find them cuz of the hip-hop samples, then I got hooked looking for all types of shit and completing the CTI collection!

peace.

• kind of hard to say for me, since i grew up surrounded by my big sister's Beatles, Zeppelin, Neil Young, etc, records, so from early on i knew that this music and this medium were the sh*t.

but i think maybe the first record i bought in a used record store that represented me going, for the first time, in my OWN musical direction (big sis wasn't up on it) was

• Run Dmc - Hard Times/Jam-Master Jay 12" - first hip-hop record that i loved! it was my own music- i felt all rebelious and shit. "Dad you can keep your Crosby, stills and nash record!""

• co-

that record changed the way i think about a lot of music. it still fucks my head up to this day.

third that. drumming on this one is like expressionist funk.

also a combination of James Brown, Santana and Meters that first really got me into it.

this comp pushed me in the right direction.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I'm ashamed to say I was peer pressured into stealing this record. I was DJing at some old ass club in '92-'93 and this was sitting in the DJ booth. A friend of mine was like "yo we should take this with us and check it out" so I threw it in my crate and bounced.
    Little did I know that would be the record to set off years of collecting.
    In some weird way I look at it like that record was meant to be there. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for it.

I'm ashamed to say I was peer pressured into stealing this record.

Yo, and you stole the reissue!?

Not a sound I'm much into anymore, but I keep a copy for sentimental reasons: