WARNING WARNING - JOSH DAVIS NAZI GERMANY THREAD

Comments

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    From the Weekly Standard

Do-It-Yourself Regime Change

It worked in Serbia. Could it work in Iraq?

by Eli J. Lake

11/11/2002, Volume 008, Issue 09

ON OCTOBER 20, Saddam Hussein blinked. In the face of an American president's resolve to disarm him, the Iraqi dictator opened the gates of his jails and freed his nation's thieves, rapists, and murderers. (Exempted from his amnesty were prisoners deemed American or Zionist spies.)

Two days later, a crowd of 200 people, most of them women, stormed the Ministry of Information in Baghdad demanding to know the whereabouts of relatives who had not been released. The same day, a larger crowd with similar questions pressed officials at a secret police detention center outside the city. On October 29, thousands of families in Erbil, a city in the north managed largely by the Kurdistan Democratic party, demonstrated in front of the United Nations mission to publicize the plight of their missing kin.

For a man who has survived his army's defeat in Kuwait, the uprisings and international sanctions that followed, and a series of attempted coups and rebellions in the last decade, Saddam Hussein seems to have made an uncharacteristic mistake on October 20. The tyrant's act of mercy may have emboldened his subjects.

As Kanan Makiya, author of "Republic of Fear," a history of the Iraqi Baath party, said Wednesday, Saddam's amnesty decree "suggests the first cracks are appearing in the authority of the regime. This is a hint of things to come. It is a hint of how easy this war is going to be" to win. Some Saddam watchers in the U.S. government concur. "These demonstrations show there is increasing pressure on the regime at the grass-roots level," one U.S. official said Wednesday.

There are some outside the government who believe last month's demonstrations may actually be key to toppling the Iraqi regime. About a month before the demonstrations in Baghdad, Peter Ackerman, a former investment banker and the founder of the International Center for Nonviolent Conflict, held a one-day seminar with 50 Iraqi exiles in the Netherlands to discuss how grass-roots anger can be used to bring Saddam's government down.

Ackerman has experience with this sort of thing. He conducted similar training seminars for Otpor, the student movement in Serbia that helped end the reign of Slobodan Milosevic. A proponent of regime change in Iraq who does not oppose the use of military force to secure that end, Ackerman believes that Iraq may be ripe for revolution without an American shot being fired. "These mothers who congregated are as much of a threat to Saddam as the mothers of the disappeared were in Argentina," he says.

At the recent seminar, Ackerman showed a video he produced entitled "Bringing Down a Dictator." It chronicles the opposition movement in Serbia and shows how the Otpor campaign in the spring of 2000 paved the way for the demonstrations that followed a few months later. When residents of Belgrade stormed the parliament in October, the police refused to put down the riot. Had the police and military been confronted with violent demonstrators in the spring, they would have been more hostile to the demonstrators in October, or so goes the theory, and less willing to break their ties to the government. "When you remain nonviolent," says Ackerman, "those ties wither and erode. There is a strategic purpose to nonviolent tactics."

Between 1997 and 2000, the U.S. government poured approximately $22 million in covert and public funding into political resistance movements in Serbia. No such program on anything like that scale exists for Iraq. Most of the American initiatives to topple Saddam are aimed at supporting U.S. military intervention--military training for Iraqi exiles, for example, or an effort to identify potential high-level defectors in the Iraqi army (the CIA established two field offices in northern Iraq last month largely for this purpose). But the State Department has at least played an advisory role in Ackerman's recent activities, which include three meetings with Kurds in the last year.

Shortly after the seminar in the Netherlands, the Iraqi exiles who had participated began calling their contacts in Iraq, according to one of the seminar's organizers, Ismael Zayer, who writes for the London-based Arabic newspaper al-Hayat. Zayer says that in the last month he and others have conducted small seminars in other Arab countries for the purpose of training Iraqis to organize. While conceding that the demonstrations following the release of prisoners were probably spontaneous, he confidently predicted in a phone interview Wednesday, "You will see more of these demonstrations in the future." And he added, "We do believe that the tactics of nonviolence and confrontation in Serbia can be repeated in Iraq very easily, and we are trying to go for it."

To this end, Zayer and others ran a "Say No to Saddam" campaign before the presidential "referendum" in September. The object was to persuade Iraqis to register a protest by submitting blank white pieces of paper instead of marked ballots. The outcome of the vote, according to the Iraqi government, was 100 percent in favor of the ruler, but Zayer says his contacts persuade him that several hundred thousand submitted blank protest votes.

And Saddam Hussein may be getting the message. Last week the tyrant kicked out most of the international media from his capital, a step many in the Bush administration fear may presage a crackdown. As one U.S. official said last week, "If there is another demonstration and nothing happens, then it's time to set your stopwatch. It will be inevitable the regime is going to fall."

The demonstrations in Baghdad and Erbil have placed the Iraqi government in a precarious position. The kind of massacre it would take to restore fear in his citizenry would compromise Saddam's effort to charm the international community on the eve of a new vote in the U.N. Security Council. The international community has ignored Saddam's cruelties before--but this time, it might see them as justifying the overthrow of his regime.

Eli J. Lake covers the State Department for United Press International.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

same to you

Don't you ahve some books to go reshelve?

it took you like 20 minutes to modify your post for that...?

yeh sorry some of us have jobs... real world moves... you should try it.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    From a Weak Standard

Ok, Really: This is Do-It-Yourself Regime Change

by Eli J. Lake

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

yeh sorry some of us have jobs... real world moves... you should try it.

by real world moves, do you mean you sold a record this week?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    From the Weekly Standard
    Eli J. Lake covers the State Department for United Press International.

Delusions of grandeur. Weekly Standard, gimme a break, you intellectual lightweight.

Now it all makes sense, you need the right wing lie machine in order to have any sort of professional prospects. That my friend is why you have a classic reactionary case of the Cognitive Dissonances.

I do a lot of work for serious academic publishers often in the field of political science, I must remember to look out for your name in future edited volumes. Then again...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    yeah, it's a mark of true scholarship when you already know the answers and you can simply collect up some the questions to fit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    um I just read this whole thread, and it was pretty good, didn't mind spending an hour of my life doing it, even read all the linked articles and everything...but, um...just curious...where the f*ck is the JOSH DAVIS NAZI GERMANY THREAD? I only saw a joined-in-progress argument on US foreign policy.

If key things were deleted, could someone plaese at least summarize what I missed while out earning my paycheck? Please?

Is it still "Big Dude Day??"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    um I just read this whole thread, and it was pretty good, didn't mind spending an hour of my life doing it, even read all the linked articles and everything...but, um...just curious...where the f*ck is the JOSH DAVIS NAZI GERMANY THREAD? I only saw a joined-in-progress argument on US foreign policy.

If key things were deleted, could someone plaese at least summarize what I missed while out earning my paycheck? Please?

you missed one of the fastest moving and weirdest threads on this site in a long time. Vitamin started a post about some fucked up comment DJ shadow made calling modern day america equal to Nazi Germany. Shit was going normal until Archaic stepped in with some crazy conspiracy theory ideas. Then the shit hit the fan 2 pages became 4 pages, Vitamin cussed Jinx out, Jinx cussed Vitamin out. I admitted I was Jew Satan and we all found out that Emperor Palpatine created Hitler.

Archaic was stating something along the lines of (insert the most insane thing you can think of here)

I think it was finally killed when some dude interrupted all the arguments with a picture strip of a hemmeroid close up.

any questions?

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Jinx cussed me out first. And I admit that I was over the top this after noon in some of my responses cause my freind in Iran was abducted and I was looking to vent. But other than that Guz pretty much nailed it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

any questions?

Yeah, are you guys hiring? This truck driving makes me miss out on all the fun.

Thanks for the re-cap, and for not re-posting the distension picture...oh, and I'd take a link to the Josh Davis Nazi quotes, his politics are very important to me.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Shit was going normal until Archaic stepped in with some crazy conspiracy theory ideas.

(Apologies for my lack of microsoft paint skills)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    no apology needed, I glad finally learned the truth that

BUSH
    BIT
    THE
    BLOWED!!!!!!!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

I think it was finally killed when some dude interrupted all the arguments with a picture strip of a hemmeroid close up.

Dude went by the name of Malt Disney.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Jinx cussed me out first. And I admit that I was over the top this after noon in some of my responses cause my freind in Iran was abducted and I was looking to vent.

damn straight i cussed you out first...

and youre looking to vent cause your friend got abducted... thats a fucking shame... it is and i mean that... my friend paul came home without his left leg and missing three fingers on his left hand due to an explosion... a motherly figure to my ex girl julie died out over there while trying to help out the people. a lot of us think she was pushed off the side of a cliff but the police out there ruled it as an accident...

a lot of us are feeling that pain vitavituhvegemin...

• I think it was finally killed when some dude interrupted all the arguments with a picture strip of a hemmeroid close up.

Dude went by the name of Malt Disney.

this just in, from another thread...

Walt Liquor

damn that's the reverse of my other alias: Malt Disney. sort of.

I'm on the case!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Very disturbing.

Shh! Haz, you'll spill the beans. That said, I need to get back to working on my monthly report to the ZOG and baking with the blood of Christian babies. Hey, if anybody wants to trade baby blood recipes, I'm down.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Very disturbing.

Hey, if anybody wants to trade baby blood recipes, I'm down.

I'd rather we'd have Indian food, but I'll try anything.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Haz and Danno - challaaah at me!!! Let's try to (finally) get together this weekend for a little Christian baby blood and pretzels. I propose Copacabanna on St. Laurent. Meanwhile I am stuck in the office like a muhfuggah.

PS If we're supposed to be running the world, why am I not in the Bahamas right now instead of my office getting bitched at by my boss?!?!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Haz and Danno - challaaah at me!!! Let's try to (finally) get together this weekend for a little Christian baby blood and pretzels. I propose Copacabanna on St. Laurent. Meanwhile I am stuck in the office like a muhfuggah.

PS If we're supposed to be running the world, why am I not in the Bahamas right now instead of my office getting bitched at by my boss?!?!

wait til you get the key to the Jewish executive washroom. You usually get it after your 666th christian baby blood milkshake. I know it seems like drinking the blood of 666 christian kids seems like a lot, but it really isn't.

See you in the islands. Tell danno to bring the Seder plate filled with chronic

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Not to start this stuff up all over again, but it's very telling to me that it has only been (apparent) Jews who have said anything in this thread about Jews supposedly running the world.

Who are y'all responding to? Khalid Abdul Muhammed?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Not to start this stuff up all over again, but it's very telling to me that it has only been (apparent) Jews who have said anything in this thread about Jews supposedly running the world.

Who are y'all responding to? Khalid Abdul Muhammed?

umm...we are responding to each other

not everything we say is serious

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Yes, it is telling. It says a lot about how unconscious & acceptable anti-semitism is.

h

Yes, it is telling. It says a lot about how unconscious & acceptable anti-semitism is.

Semites
    {sem' - yts}
    General Information

Semites are peoples who speak Semitic languages; the group includes Arabs, Aramaeans, Jews, and many Ethiopians. In a Biblical sense, Semites are peoples whose ancestry can be traced back to Shem, Noah's eldest son. The ancient Semitic populations were pastoral Nomads who several centuries before the Christian Era were migrating in large numbers from Arabia to Mesopotamia, the coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, and the Nile River delta. Jews and other Semites settled in villages in Judea, southern Palestine.

Present day speakers of Semitic languages are as diverse in physical, psychological, cultural, and sociological characteristics as are speakers of Indo European languages. The most prominent Semites today are Arabs and Jews. They are different in many ways, and they have absorbed a variety of European traits through centuries of migration and trade. The origin of Semitic languages, however, and many similarities in the stories of Islam and Judaism reflect a common ancient history.

IMO as a concerned bystander...

One, there needs to be a clearer distinction made by Jews between descendents of Russian converts and actual descendents of Shem/Heber.

Two, there needs to be a clearer distinction made by Jews between being Jewish and being a Zionist.

Three, maybe the use of the word "anti-Semitism" by Jews abd especially Jewish converts thinking that it applies only to them and not various Arabs needs to be reassessed.

So to revisit what you just said, yes, there is a lot to be said about the way that Zionists are "unconsciously" committing their own brand of anti-semitism against Arabs.

• Yes, it is telling. It says a lot about how unconscious & acceptable anti-semitism is.

Semites
    {sem' - yts}
    General Information

Semites are peoples who speak Semitic languages; the group includes Arabs, Aramaeans, Jews, and many Ethiopians. In a Biblical sense, Semites are peoples whose ancestry can be traced back to Shem, Noah's eldest son. The ancient Semitic populations were pastoral Nomads who several centuries before the Christian Era were migrating in large numbers from Arabia to Mesopotamia, the coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, and the Nile River delta. Jews and other Semites settled in villages in Judea, southern Palestine.

Present day speakers of Semitic languages are as diverse in physical, psychological, cultural, and sociological characteristics as are speakers of Indo European languages. The most prominent Semites today are Arabs and Jews. They are different in many ways, and they have absorbed a variety of European traits through centuries of migration and trade. The origin of Semitic languages, however, and many similarities in the stories of Islam and Judaism reflect a common ancient history.

One, there needs to be a clearer distinction made by Jews between descendents of Russian converts and actual descendents of Shem/Heber.

Two, there needs to be a clearer distinction made by Jews between being Jewish and being a Zionist.

Three, maybe the use of the word "anti-Semitism" by Jews abd especially Jewish converts thinking that it applies only to them and not various Arabs needs to be reassessed.

So to revisit what you just said, yes, there is a lot to be said about the way that Zionists are "unconsciously" committing their own brand of anti-semitism against Arabs.

Or, maybe you should stop sweating the whole "Jew" thing entirely. Not, as they say, "a good look"...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Semites
    {sem' - yts}
    General Information

Semites
    {sem' - yts}
    General Information

Or, maybe you should stop sweating the whole "Jew" thing entirely. Not, as they say, "a good look"...

Exactly my point all along...can't even ask for clarifications on how Judaism relates to Zionism without the thought police intervening.

Yet many of us have non-Zionist family members halfway across the world unknowingly advancing the Zionist cause in Iraq.

Blood for oil, fake promotions of democracy, corporate greed...question all of that all day. But question anything about Jews/Zionists/Israel...shut up or else.

• Yes, it is telling. It says a lot about how unconscious & acceptable anti-semitism is.

Semites
    {sem' - yts}
    General Information

Exactly my point all along...can't even ask for clarifications on how Judaism relates to Zionism without the thought police intervening.

Yet many of us have non-Zionist family members halfway across the world unknowingly advancing the Zionist cause in Iraq.

Blood for oil, fake promotions of democracy, corporate greed...question all of that all day. But question anything about Jews/Zionists/Israel...shut up or else.

Yes. I was mistaken. You're right (and completely sane). What was I thinking?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with the questions that Archaic is raising in this particular discussion thread? I mean if it is a discussion, are you that offended that he is asking these questions? Or is it just a hard perspecitve to accept? Even though i don't necessarily agree with Archaic in alot of instances I find it intersting hearing a different perspective, and even more interesting that everyone gets so heated all the time about what he says...

anyway back to lurking.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with the questions that Archaic is raising in this particular discussion thread? I mean if it is a discussion, are you that offended that he is asking these questions? Or is it just a hard perspecitve to accept? Even though i don't necessarily agree with Archaic in alot of instances I find it intersting hearing a different perspective, and even more interesting that everyone gets so heated all the time about what he says...

anyway back to lurking.

i don't think its so much the questions he's asking i think its the fact that archaic is asking them, he has already said some dumbass remarks about the holocust which iam sorry to say makes me think he has some antisemitic tendencies (he may not, i am just going with my gut here) i have found a lot of the conspiracy theory freaks like to blame the jews and israel for just about everything, and if you want to get the heart of what their saying, replace zionist with jewish

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    replace zionist with jewish

sadly this is sometihng that happens a lot. Honestly I don't think many people ever really understand the idea of Zionism and just figure it to be some evil conspiracy theory plot.

Truth is the zionism movement was based on creating a Jewish state, Theodore Hertzel is considered the father of Zionism and for more info I suggest reading up on him. In truth the idea is no different than Marcus Garvey's push towards having a black state/ back to Africa.

but, like most things, it seems to be better in practice than it is in reality. Ariel Sharon and supporters have taken measures I greatly disapprove of, but this doesn't mean the idea of having ones own state is inherently evil