THE OFFICIAL NFL 2007 THREAD

Comments

• Asterisk = jokes.

Something was going on last night. It's a cumulative effect. If an NFL Referee is gonna disrespect a player by taunting him and calling him "boy", you have to call into question his motives and actions. The Ravens went batshit...that wasn't for nothing. I'll be interested to hear what inside info comes out today.

• It'll calm down once they lose one

I agree, which is why I'm not looking forward to hearing about it all offseason.

That, at least got an honest laugh out of me. I can't in all honesty say that I expect my Steelers to win on Sunday. They seem to have a way of forgetting to show up during the first half lately. So if all else fails....GO DOLPHINS!!! Man, that would be sweet.

• The Giants can beat them at the end of the season. That would be sweet.

Not the way the Giants are playing right now they won't.

Hell, they'll have plenty of trouble on Sunday against Philly. Curtis is faster than anyone in the Giants secondary (except maybe Dockery) and while we got good run stuffers Westbrook is still a beast. Lito Shepard won't let Palxico catch anything and Spikes will be on Eli's ass. Giants can only count on shitting play calling and AJ Feeley making bad decisions.

Now in regards to all this noise about NFL officiating, fellas c'mon, its always been contentious in tight games. Its tough when you are on the losing end but the games over, get over it.
    *Edit: That "boy" shit is inexcusable though!

• The Giants can beat them at the end of the season. That would be sweet.

Not the way the Giants are playing right now they won't.

Hell, they'll have plenty of trouble on Sunday against Philly. Curtis is faster than anyone in the Giants secondary (except maybe Dockery) and while we got good run stuffers Westbrook is still a beast. Lito Shepard won't let Palxico catch anything and Spikes will be on Eli's ass. Giants can only count on shitting play calling and AJ Feeley making bad decisions.

Now in regards to all this noise about NFL officiating, fellas c'mon, its always been contentious in tight games. Its tough when you are on the losing end but the games over, get over it.

One of the guys at Football Outsiders had a great rant after the Pats-Eagles game, basically saying, 'This is how talented this team is? Where the fuck has this been all year?'

The Eagles can get things done...but, between issues in the head, and under the center, they have an equal shot of blowing out or being blown out in every game they play.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    It'll calm down once they lose one

I agree, which is why I'm not looking forward to hearing about it all offseason.

That, at least got an honest laugh out of me. I can't in all honesty say that I expect my Steelers to win on Sunday.

Well, in all seriousness, look at the last two games the Pats played. The Eagles and Ravens???two teams nobody expected to put up much of a fight???each almost beat us. They both played as if their lives depended on it, and only a few great plays and lucky breaks got us the wins.

I wouldn't count the Steelers out yet...hell, I wouldn't count the Dolphins out yet.

Alright, maybe the Dolphins.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It'll calm down once they lose one

That, at least got an honest laugh out of me. I can't in all honesty say that I expect my Steelers to win on Sunday. They seem to have a way of forgetting to show up during the first half lately. So if all else fails....GO DOLPHINS!!! Man, that would be sweet.

For here on out, the Pats have their work cut out for them. Every team is going to show up to play on sunday... It will be their superbowl to knock these chumps off. You gotta hate these guys. They are smug... Tom Brady is a bit rattled. You could see it in the press conference. They are this close to losing... and it will probably happen in the playoffs.

• For here on out, the Pats have their work cut out for them. Every team is going to show up to play on sunday... It will be their superbowl to knock these chumps off. You gotta hate these guys. They are smug... Tom Brady is a bit rattled. You could see it in the press conference. They are this close to losing... and it will probably happen in the playoffs.

Truth! Last year when Indy was 11-0 the wife was dying for them to lose, she figured every team loses once or twice. Then they lost three times and she was feeling really confident. Better it happen during the regular season than in the playoffs! Records without rings ain't shit, ask Dan Marino! There is still a lot of football until February 3rd.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I'm just pissed because last night was one of the
    best games of the season in the entire NFL, just an
    awesome game, and people are trying to ruin it with
    this X-FILES bullshit. Just like I said about the Steelers
    on Sunday, the Pats were damn lucky to get out of there with
    a win - but the Ravens have nobody to blame but themselves,
    and to stand at your locker and directly accuse the refs
    of "giving the game" to the Patriots is the epitome of NAGL.

• I'm saying we need to dead this asterisk talk,

That's almost rational so I'll ignore it (ha!). The asterisk talk with the Pats is just current events. It'll calm down once they lose one, preferably on Sunday.

I'm a Steelers fan 4 life, and I think the Steelers can win patriot games on a good day, BUT- the odds of [us] beating the Pats twice in one season, in NE, are slim. Like it's never happened this century. And you know if we're going anywhere in the playoffs, we're gonna have to tangle with New England. THEREFORE, while I would like to see us break the Patriots streak [again] on Sunday, I wouldn't be too discouraged if these fuckers beat us, and we save our victory for when it really matters (i.e. the playoffs).

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    the calls themselves? I don't see any problem with those...

The only questionable call was the holding...The right call was made..but refs usually don't throw that flag against the home team ..especially on 4th down....he wasn't going to catch that pass anyway and the hold really didn't impede his route....The Eagles were robbed with that encroachment call on 4th and 2 last week but because the Pats were the home team that penalty went their way....The bigger issue in all sports is how home field/court advantage plays into what calls are made and aren't....

The Ravens lost the game because they got way too conservative on offense with 5 minutes left in the game..... That's too much time on the clock to go run,run,screen......a play action pass on 1st or 2nd down was needed to at least keep that defense honest...

The Jets game has trap written all over it

And all this garbage about "blueprint" and "boy" is silly

A "Cover 2" is a "Cover 2" ...A "Zone Blitz" is a "Zone Blitz"...The Ravens,Colts and Eagles were the only teams with enough talent on defense to match up with The Pats...There is no blueprint..its called personnel

The "Boy" shit is dumb too.....If you don't hold,they can't call it.

• Agree with Ed's second post emphatically.

What is the blueprint? Play your best game. Hopefully, that'll work. Like I said, if you get some team changing what they do to meet some bullshit 'blueprint,' Belichick and Brady would welcome that.

As to the calls in the Eagles game, Ed...The biggest BS call in that game was offensive PI against Moss. so, let's let the officiating in that game slide.

And all those journalist and Radio dudes who were so convinced that Sean Taylor was murdered because of his "past" should be ashamed and disgraced ...They all owe his family a personal apology ...Assholes

• And all those journalist and Radio dudes who were so convinced that Sean Taylor was murdered because of his "past" should be ashamed and disgraced ...They all owe his family a personal apology ...Assholes

agree with that 1000% as well. Judgemental, reactionary bullshit.

The biggest BS call in that game was offensive PI against Moss.

And all those journalist and Radio dudes who were so convinced that Sean Taylor was murdered because of his "past" should be ashamed and disgraced ...They all owe his family a personal apology ...Assholes

No doubt. The very definition of prejudice???they judged him before there was any evidence on which to base their collective theory. I think calling them journalists is a disservice to journalists.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    the calls themselves? I don't see any problem with those...

The only questionable call was the holding...The right call was made..but refs usually don't throw that flag against the home team ..especially on 4th down....he wasn't going to catch that pass anyway and the hold really didn't impede his route....The Eagles were robbed with that encroachment call on 4th and 2 last week but because the Pats were the home team that penalty went their way....The bigger issue in all sports is how home field/court advantage plays into what calls are made and aren't....

The Ravens lost the game because they got way too conservative on offense with 5 minutes left in the game..... That's too much time on the clock to go run,run,screen......a play action pass on 1st or 2nd down was needed to at least keep that defense honest...

The Jets game has trap written all over it

The worst was the non-call on the clip against Scot during Maroney's 40+ yd catch, especially since it was right in front of a ref.

But ultimately, I agree that the Ravens lack of composure and shying away on offense killed them.

• A "Cover 2" is a "Cover 2" ...A "Zone Blitz" is a "Zone Blitz"...The Ravens,Colts and Eagles were the only teams with enough talent on defense to match up with The Pats...There is no blueprint..its called personnel

That's what I've been trying to say about Dallas vs. NE.

• A "Cover 2" is a "Cover 2" ...A "Zone Blitz" is a "Zone Blitz"...The Ravens,Colts and Eagles were the only teams with enough talent on defense to match up with The Pats...There is no blueprint..its called personnel

That's what I've been trying to say about Dallas vs. NE.

if anybody is saying that there's a blueprint that ANY team can follow to beat the Pats then obviously that's wrong... i'm sure that's not what John Madden meant when he said that. there are DEFINITELY teams that match up well against the Pats, though, and if those teams come with the right gameplan they can make it very hard for NE to do what they did to everybody they played in the 1st half of the season if not beat them outright. It's pretty simple- on offense, sustain long drives with a strong running game and short passing game that eats up the clock and keeps the ball out of Brady's hands. On defense play the receivers very physically (pop the schitt out of Moss and Stallworth every chance you get- they don't want it) and keep them in front of you- give up the short passes if you must, just DON'T let them kill you with the long ball. The Eagles secondary is not that good talentwise (and the Pats still slowly ate them up chunk by chunk), but Jim Johnson's gameplan was tight as hell- it was basically that "bend but don't break" philosphy that he used to get the Eagles to a number of NFC championship games.

I'm tellin' you right now, the Stillers are CUSTOM MADE to beat the Pats. I don't know if they will though, because they've been lookin' real the last few weeks and Brady and them are overdue for an explosion. If not Pittsburgh I still think somebody's gonna get 'em, though... regular season or playoffs. the Dolphins do have the #3 pass defense in the league... BEWARE

• Well, in all seriousness, look at the last two games the Pats played. The Eagles and Ravens???two teams nobody expected to put up much of a fight???each almost beat us. They both played as if their lives depended on it, and only a few great plays and lucky breaks got us the wins.

I wouldn't count the Steelers out yet...hell, I wouldn't count the Dolphins out yet.

Alright, maybe the Dolphins.

I don't think the Dolphins really stand a chance of winning, but I also don't think the game will be a blowout like a lot of people think it will be. The Dolphins' problem is offense, not defense. Miami has the #3 ranked passing defense, only giving up an average of 180 yards a game. Of course, Miami also has the worst run defense in the league so maybe the Pats will try running the ball all over Miami. The thing about that is the Patriots haven't had a game with a huge running attack since week 5, and that was Sammy Morris. We'll see if they can turn it on with Maroney. I think the weather in New England could be a factor as well since it could be ass cold and nasty in New England in 3 weeks.

I don't really give the Dolphins much of a chance of winning, but then again 8 of their losses were decided by 10 points or less (and 6 of those were only 3-point losses!). Every season there's teams nobody gives a chance of winning that come out and do the "impossible", so we'll see. It also remains to be seen if the Patriots are going to be playing their starters as much as they do now since they'll have top seed in the playoffs well wrapped up by then and there's no real point to risking injury to their starters. Belichick will have to weigh the possibility of going 16-0 against the risks of starting his players when they really don't stand to gain anything by winning the games.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Having just watched the replay of the Monday Night game,
    I can say without hesitation that the Baltimore Ravens are
    the biggest group of bitch-ass douchetards in the NFL.

CONSPIRACY!

• Having just watched the replay of the Monday Night game,

We'll see how bitch made they are this weekend against the Colts.

VINDICATED?!?!?!

VINDICATED?!?!?!

WHO REALLY CARES ANYWAY WHEN THE *PATS ARE PLAYING THE STEELERS?!?!?!?!?

VINDICATED?!?!?!

Anyone hear that one of the Steelers second-string D-backs guaranteed victory?

Way to go dude. No way that can backfire on you.

VINDICATED?!?!?!

Anyone hear that one of the Steelers second-string D-backs guaranteed victory?

Way to go dude. No way that can backfire on you.

yeah, that was the article Raj linked.

Not that I'm saying it was a smart move or anything, but that kid is gonna be a great NFL safety. I don't even think he's 2nd string anymore, IMO he's locked up the starting position. your receivers are gonna take some HITS

can't wait for Sunday batches!!

I H8 NE!!!!!![/b]

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's one for all you Romosexuals.....

Here's one for all you Romosexuals.....

Is there a site where you can make those?