UGK Album Release (finally)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
Apparently as of today, some military base px's have the UGK album available for sale...for $9.95 even. First few thousand copies come with a dvd, making it a 3-disc set. Any soldiers on here with access?Thought I had heard recent news that the album would be pushed back AGAIN until September...but now I'm hearing it comes out next week.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    last i heard, it was next tuesday.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I dunno but what buzz they had out here i done and over with. People were anticipating it to drop 3-4 months ago.

Way to go JIVE.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Another Jive blunder, most definitely. However, I think they will do well with their core audience. Plus, Intl' Player's Anthem got pretty big pretty recently, so I think they saved some of their buzz. I am on this shit on release day, no doubt. I want the bonus DVD too, but I'm guessing that won't be available everywhere? Anybody know more about this?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    IF YOU CANT WAIT I KNOW A FILTHY BLOGGEUR WITH CLIPS

what is "chillbumped"?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    YOU WOULD HAVE TO ASK "STRIZZY"

OR "SCHNIPPER"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    "trill niggaz don't die"

my hardest problem will be finding a non-clean version of this on tuesday that isnt completely overpriced.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Any soldiers on here with access?

I'll go to the main PX tomorrow. You need a copy?

• sergserg 682 Posts
    Man I need this shit so fucking bad.

Actually hoping to track it down soon to do a write up for the sfweekly.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Man I need this shit so fucking bad.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    ugk is merely riding the coattails of larger and more palatable artists such as jay-z and 3 6 mafia who put them on while garnering a large (fair weather)white fan base in the process. their fall back to being merely a popular group among real headz will be as quick as their ascent to the top of hipster blog heaven.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    How are you so sure it is Jive's fault?

What makes you so sure it's not that UGK keeps making changes?

How are you so sure it is Jive's fault?

What makes you so sure it's not that UGK keeps making changes?

I suppose that's possible too. But really, it doesn't make much sense on either side to keep pushing it back. UGK holding it up would piss off the label (wouldn't something like a release date likely be a contractual obligation?) and cause fans to lose interest after the singles and videos have been out for a long time. Jive holding it up also doesn't make sense because they have already done the promotion with singles/videos. I just think that they do it now, or they release another single and do it in 2 months. Int'l Players Anthem is only going to be hot for so long. It doesn't seem like they are going to top that single from a sales standpoint, as Outkast is probably the highest profile guest on their album.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ugk is merely riding the coattails of larger and more palatable artists such as jay-z and 3 6 mafia who put them on while garnering a large (fair weather)white fan base in the process. their fall back to being merely a popular group among real headz will be as quick as their ascent to the top of hipster blog heaven.

1. Jay-Z most definitely rode UGK's coattails.

2. UGK has a large[/b] white fan base?

3. Hipster blog heaven is only heaven for the bloggeurs, seldom for the artists.

plaese to expound this one.

UGK is what brought Big Pimpin from being a pretty good song to an amazing song.

Jay's collabs with UGK and (to a lesser extent) with Juvenile gave him credibility in a market that he previously didn't fit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

UGK is what brought Big Pimpin from being a pretty good song to an amazing song.

Jay's collabs with UGK and (to a lesser extent) with Juvenile gave him credibility in a market that he previously didn't fit.
    the juvenile collabs were a much bigger deal in this area i think. not that i'm 'from the south' but juvie was a much bigger star around here than ugk were. When he got on that "Ha" remix it was :-O

the juvenile collabs were a much bigger deal in this area i think. not that i'm 'from the south' but juvie was a much bigger star around here than ugk were. When he got on that "Ha" remix it was :-O

Yes, but to many circa '99 Juvenile was considered a new jack. That's of course not true when you consider a NOLA classic like "Bounce (for the Juvenile)" from like '93, but to the nation at large...UGK, most likely since "Pocket Full of Stones" appeard on the Menace II Society soundtrack, pulled more weight as a Southern rap institution.

ok, that's pretty much what I figured, too. Esp the part about Big Pimpin', in which Jay Z sounds a bit lazy when stacked against Pimp and (especially) Bun. I thought you were implying that Jay-Z road UGK (pause) to his level of success in a more generalized manner. Thanks for clarifying.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i kind of think jay killed it on 'big pimpin' - on the canopy, my stamina be, enough for pamela anderson lee

his pop single tracks in the last couple years haven't touched stuff like that

you're right saying that Jay's recent stuff hasn't been nearly as close, but to me the one who absolutely killed on that song was Bun-B

Nigga it's the big southern rappin pimp Presario
    Coming straight up out the black bar-io (bar-rio)
    Makes a Mil up off a sorry hoe
    Then sit back and peep my scenario
    Oops, my bad, that's my scenario
    No I can't fuck a scary hoe
    Now every time, every place, everywhere we go
    Hoe's start pointing and say "There he go!"
    Now these muthafuckas know we carry more heat than a little bit
    We don't pull it out over little shit
    And if you catch a lick when I spit, then it won't be a little hit
    Go read a book you illiterate son of a bitch and step up your vocab
    Don't be surprised if your hoe steps out wit' me
    And you see us coming downon yo' slab
    Livin' ghetto fabulous, so mad, you just can't take it
    But nigga if you hate now, then you wait while
    I get your bitch butt naked
    Just break it
    You gotta play like you ain't wet with two pairs of clothes on
    Now get your ass to the back
    As I fly to the track Timbaland let me spit my pro's on
    Pump it up in the pro-zone
    That's the track that we breaking these hoes on
    Hate the track that we flow's on
    But when the shit get's hot, then the glock start poppin' like ozone
    We keep hoes crunk like Trigga-man
    Who really don't get no bigger man
    Don't trip, let's flip, then throw it on the flip
    Then blow with the muthafuckin' Jigga-man
    Fool

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    you're right saying that Jay's recent stuff hasn't been nearly as close, but to me the one who absolutely killed on that song was Bun-B

Nigga it's the big southern rappin pimp Presario
    Coming straight up out the black bar-io (bar-rio)
    Makes a Mil up off a sorry hoe
    Then sit back and peep my scenario
    Oops, my bad, that's my scenario
    No I can't fuck a scary hoe
    Now every time, every place, everywhere we go
    Hoe's start pointing and say "There he go!"
    Now these muthafuckas know we carry more heat than a little bit
    We don't pull it out over little shit
    And if you catch a lick when I spit, then it won't be a little hit
    Go read a book you illiterate son of a bitch and step up your vocab
    Don't be surprised if your hoe steps out wit' me
    And you see us coming downon yo' slab
    Livin' ghetto fabulous, so mad, you just can't take it
    But nigga if you hate now, then you wait while
    I get your bitch butt naked
    Just break it
    You gotta play like you ain't wet with two pairs of clothes on
    Now get your ass to the back
    As I fly to the track Timbaland let me spit my pro's on
    Pump it up in the pro-zone
    That's the track that we breaking these hoes on
    Hate the track that we flow's on
    But when the shit get's hot, then the glock start poppin' like ozone
    We keep hoes crunk like Trigga-man
    Who really don't get no bigger man
    Don't trip, let's flip, then throw it on the flip
    Then blow with the muthafuckin' Jigga-man
    Fool
    this is what made jay-z go back and add that extra verse to this song.

have you ever read that Bun interview where he talks about his mindset for collabs being that he just wants to kill the original artist's verse? He also said in that interview that the only rapper he can't come close to touching is E-40 because "he'll just make up a word and make it work."

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    is this the same interview where bun refers to himself as 'a little fat whitegirl'?

yeah, that one. I had forgotten about the white girl thing. ha!
    i just found it again-
    http://www.believermag.com/issues/200606/?read=interview_bun_b

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    BB: Yeah, I do. But I can???t believe I look like that.

BLVR: What do you look like?

BB: Every time I see myself in print or on TV, I feel like a little white girl. I feel fat.

i'm suprised this quote hasn't come back to haunt him.

• SOME OF Y'ALL SOUND LIKE YOU GOT DILDOS IN Y'ALL BOOTY.

• i kind of think jay killed it on 'big pimpin' - on the canopy, my stamina be, enough for pamela anderson lee

his pop single tracks in the last couple years haven't touched stuff like that

didn't he add this better second verse because he knew that UGK killed him on his own shit? I recall the album not having the second verse on it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there was another radio version without the ugk verses on it

2. UGK has a large[/b] white fan base?

3. Hipster blog heaven is only heaven for the bloggeurs, seldom for the artists.

1. No, not even almost. You're apparently making some vague point not relating to anything but jay exposed (or re-exposed) ugk to many maaaaaaany people by putting their asses on trl.

2. Yes, see number 1.

3. Non sequitur

You must be smoking that good chimney dust to think that people who got put onto UGK through TRL constitute any more than about 10% of their fanbase.

I could just see all of those TRL folks picking up UGK's next solo single after "Big Pimpin" which was "Let Me See It" and obviously deciding "yes, me, my little sister, all my friends from Brownies, and of course both my mother and my grandma are now all definitely down with these UGK dudes for life."