Post an obscure fact.

Comments

• i love those facts. i'm a botanist, so i really care!

a walnut is noz a nut, but a lychee is. GO FIGURE!

I love these facts too, but I'm just a biochemist so I have little knowledge of plants and animals above the molecular level. Here's one of my favorite lists:

Some fruits and seeds that are nuts in the culinary sense but not in the botanical sense:

Almond[/b] is the edible seed of a drupe ??? the leathery "flesh" is removed at harvest.
    Brazil nut[/b] is the seed from a capsule.
    Candlenut[/b] (used for oil) is a seed.
    Cashew nut[/b] is a seed.
    Coconut[/b] is a dry, fibrous drupe.
    Horse-chestnut[/b] is an inedible capsule.
    Macadamia nut[/b] is a creamy white kernel (Macadamia integrifolia).
    Malabar chestnut[/b]
    Mongongo[/b]
    Peanut[/b] is a legume and a seed.
    Pine nut[/b] is the seed of several species of pine (coniferous trees).
    Pistachio[/b] nut is the seed of a thin-shelled drupe.
    Lychee[/b] is a member of the soapberry family, in which its berrylike fruits can be eaten fresh or sundried as nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_%28fruit%29

I'd like a Hershey Bar with MONGONGO[/b] plaese...

• listen, species becoming extinct is part of Eltons Circle of Life.

And if (when) we as a species are directly responsible, i guess you could consider it sad.

Wow, this is probably the dumbest f u c k i n g thing I've ever read on Soulstrut. You don't think humans are responsible for any species going extinct?!?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    From wikipedia:

Soulstrut currently has 63 registered members viewing this forum and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum. Anonymous users are often refered to as "lurkers" by some of the forum's registered members. Registered members with a considerable amount of knowledge are often known as "real headz (sic)."

Registered Soulstrut members often discuss the television show The Wire, rare phonograph recordings, current political happenings, dissatisfaction with ebay, dissatisfaction with attendants of their dj performances, dissatisfaction with other soulstrut members, dissatisfaction with ebay sellers, dissatisfaction with technical issues hindering them from viewing soulstrut, dissatisfaction with the weather, dissatisfaction with another's choice to take their children to McDonalds, dissatisfaction with their own current state of dissatisfaction, dissatisfaction with people who don't know anything about rap music, dissatisfaction with certain obscure facts, dissatisfaction with air jordans that have been stepped on, dissatisfaction with postal and shipping options available to them, interest in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in the weight or lack of weight of Jessica Alba, and food in the Bay Area.

in a nutshell.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    A rational number is a number that can be expressed as a fractian of two integers (eg 2, 1/2). An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed this way (eg sqrt 2). There are infinitely many rational and irrational numbers. However, there are more irrational numbers than rational numbers.

Joe Rogan, television personality and former host of Fear Factor, is a former kickboxer and Tae Kwon Do champion. He is a Brasillian Jiu Jitsu Brown belt, under Eddie Bravo/Jean Machado. He is also a yoga practitioner and has experimented with DMT several times.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    listen, species becoming extinct is part of Eltons Circle of Life.

And if (when) we as a species are directly responsible, i guess you could consider it sad.

Wow, this is probably the dumbest f u c k i n g thing I've ever read on Soulstrut. You don't think humans are responsible for any species going extinct?!?

Chill son - NZ's not saying that extinction is "no big deal" but I think the point is that, in the grand scheme of Earth's history, mass extinction - I'm talking end-of-the-world catastrophic shit - has been the result of natural causes: asteroids smacking the earth, volcanic eruptions, and reasons still unexplained.

Man's impact has been since our incursion into ecosystems has lead to the decimation of many species (and will continue to) but man vs. comet crashing into Earth? Our impact, in that respect, isn't remotely in the same league. The only difference is that you could argue our expansion is deliberate vs. a comet doesn't choose to crash land.

But NZ's original reply was to Elise who thought it was sad that 99.9% of all species, that have ever existed, have become extinct. One could find that sad or one could find that just part of the natural process. You know, like sick gazelles getting run down by cheetahs and shit.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    75 million years ago an asteroid crashed into the earth and lofted dust and debris which blocked out sunlight. Thid drastically altered the climate, destroyed plant life and kiled off 95% of all living species - including the dinosaurs. One of the few mammals to survive, where our forebears.

Not so obscure you're thinking..

Well. Such global cataclysms have happened several times. A catastrophic volcanic eruption took place in Sumatra some 75,000 years ago. This decimated the burgeoning human race, which became reduced to a few thousand.

Astronemers have calculated that we will have a serious asteriod crash within the next 100 years.

These sound like crazy street peacher quotes rather then scientific facts.

- spidey

75 million years ago an asteroid crashed into the earth and lofted dust and debris which blocked out sunlight. Thid drastically altered the climate, destroyed plant life and kiled off 95% of all living species - including the dinosaurs. One of the few mammals to survive, where our forebears.

Well. Such global cataclysms have happened several times. A catastrophic volcanic eruption took place in Sumatra some 75,000 years ago. This decimated the burgeoning human race, which became reduced to a few thousand.

Astronemers have calculated that we will have a serious asteriod crash within the next 100 years.

- spidey

Says the guy who finds evolution suspect?

IRONY!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    listen, species becoming extinct is part of Eltons Circle of Life.

Chill son - NZ's not saying that extinction is "no big deal" but I think the point is that, in the grand scheme of Earth's history, mass extinction - I'm talking end-of-the-world catastrophic shit - has been the result of natural causes: asteroids smacking the earth, volcanic eruptions, and reasons still unexplained.

There are some who would disagree.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/may/02/biodiversity.conservationandendangeredspecies

• listen, species becoming extinct is part of Eltons Circle of Life.

Man's impact has been since our incursion into ecosystems has lead to the decimation of many species (and will continue to) but man vs. comet crashing into Earth? Our impact, in that respect, isn't remotely in the same league. The only difference is that you could argue our expansion is deliberate vs. a comet doesn't choose to crash land.

But NZ's original reply was to Elise who thought it was sad that 99.9% of all species, that have ever existed, have become extinct. One could find that sad or one could find that just part of the natural process. You know, like sick gazelles getting run down by cheetahs and shit.

It's certainly possible I mininterpreted his comment. To me it seemed like he was saying the massive wipeout of species that we've been experiencing for the last 100+ years was attributable to natural cycles or something which is by and large simply not the case. As if all these species would be going extinct regardless of human behavior.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Says the guy who finds evolution suspect?

IRONY!

Here we go again with your silly unicorns, magic and evolution talk, Odub.

- spidey

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    unicorns, magic and evolution.

Do you guys remember playing this game during Sesame Street?

One of these things is not like the others. Which one of these things does not belong?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Moog, as in Robert Moog, is actually pronounced to ryhme with vogue. Not mooooog.

Probably not an obscure fact here, but I've never heard anyone pronouce it correctly in the real world.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

One of these things is not like the others. Which one of these things does not belong?

3 of these things belong here together,
    3 of these things are kinda the same,
    1 of these things does not belong here,
    now its time to play our game, time to play our game.

its amazing what i can remember from 30 years ago and what i can't from yesterday.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

Not sure which part of this is 'crazy'. When you're talking about events that happened such a long time ago, there has to be some level of speculation. But not 'crazy street peacher' levels.

The International Astronomical Union reckon the asteriod will crash into the earth on Saturday Sep. 21 2030.

Do I belive this to be a fact, no. But nore do I think it's crazy.

anyway.

Did you know,

The molars of Europeans and Africans have two roots. Those of Asians and Native Americans usually have three, sugersting a common ancestry.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

"THAT'S BRAIN POWER!!!"

• an electric shaver can also be used as a neck and back massager as well as a vibrator.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

It's certainly possible I mininterpreted his comment. To me it seemed like he was saying the massive wipeout of species that we've been experiencing for the last 100+ years was attributable to natural cycles or something which is by and large simply not the case. As if all these species would be going extinct regardless of human behavior.

Purely to make things difficult, but are humans seperate from nature? And, if so, were humans always seperate from nature, or did humans at some point become seperate from nature?

Purely to make things difficult, but are humans seperate from nature? And, if so, were humans always seperate from nature, or did humans at some point become seperate from nature?

To paraphrase from I>Aliens[/i]: you don't see most other animals f-cking each other over for a percentage.

just b/c we come from nature doesn't mean that we act particularly "natural" let alone in accordance with "nature."

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    To paraphrase from I>Aliens[/i]: you don't see most other animals f-cking each other over for a percentage.

just b/c we come from nature doesn't mean that we act particularly "natural" let alone in accordance with "nature."

Most animals don't have opposable (sp?) thumbs either though.
    What makes our behavior unnatural, and is this the cause for our being ousted from nature?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Most animals don't have opposable (sp?) thumbs either though.
    What makes our behavior unnatural, and is this the cause for our being ousted from nature?

Some dude (I think it was Edward Mathis) postulated that the major difference between humans and the rest of nature is the ability to think abstractly. As a result, we are the only living thing that recognizes and anticipates its own death.

And you know what comes up when I try to find a picture of his book See No Evil?

http://www.gopherstick.com/goonies truffle shuffle.jpg" alt="" />

No picture of the book, though.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

3 of these things belong here together,
    3 of these things are kinda the same,
    1 of these things does not belong here,
    now its time to play our game, time to play our game.

its amazing what i can remember from 30 years ago and what i can't from yesterday.

actually it had a bunch of variations, The original was "one of these things"

"2 of these things" and the one you listed came later as well as the one I remember the clearest

"three of these kids belong together"

• Drinking untii this time in Vancouver, and then going into work in 30 mins. was a bad look. Also the earth is flat.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Drinking untii this time in Vancouver, and then going into work in 30 mins. was a bad look. Also the earth is flat.

The 'earth is flat' thing is false. A myth.

Not obviously that it is or isn't. But that people in the past, ever believed it was. clicky

Drinking before work rarely ends well.

• Moog, as in Robert Moog, is actually pronounced to ryhme with vogue. Not mooooog.

Probably not an obscure fact here, but I've never heard anyone pronouce it correctly in the real world.

Nice one - this is why he released the Rogue

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Avery Island is not an island.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    The Bryde's Whale is the only Balene (sp?) whale whose diet is not primarily krill. It is also the only Balene whale thatspends most of its time in warm waters.

There are fish with legs.

On the ocean's floor, at hot vents where/gas is spewed forth from the Earth's core there is a plethora of life. Unlike light-laden ecosystems where sunlight is the main source of energy, all life situated on these hot vents relies on Methane. Whereas plants convert sunlight to energy, a special bacteria performs the same work using the Methan gas as its fundamental ingredient.

the FDA requires that Beer with an ABV over 10% (or 11%, don't remember the exact number) not be labelled as beer. instead these beverages are referred to as barleywine, or malt beverage.

You can distinguish a French Wine's region of production by the shape of the bottle that its in.

In classiacal Indian talas (rhythmic compositions) of 16 beats, the bass drum rests for the third bar.

A peanut is neither a pea, nor a nut. It is a legume.

This is approximated from memory: For the cost of one space mission, scientists could make 100 deep sea dives (abyssal, bathal, and ocean floor related).

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    Bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week. Each day has a different color twist tie. They are:

Monday - Blue
    Tuesday - Green
    Thursday - Red
    Friday - White
    Saturday - Yellow

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    DJ Greyboy and DJ Truly Odd race Sidehack BMX and win a lot

• Hitlers offspring are living (or used to live) in New York - Staten Island.
    They decided not to have any children to eradicate the name from the world.
    This is a true fact. This is a sad story and i feel really sorry for those guys because they were ashamed for theit whole life because of their bastard daddy.