Post an obscure fact.

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Octopus and goats have square pupils.

I'm gonna need jpeg proof of that one.....

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Somebody in SF has a license plate that reads "OG GAT"..... on the back of their new Volkswagen bug.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Octopus and goats have square pupils.

I'm gonna need jpeg proof of that one.....

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I'd call those more rectangular than square...still weird though

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    this is for the simpsons heads,

with regards to the simpsons "Lisa The Vegetarian" episode, if you play the "Maybe I'm Amazed" version backwards at the closing credits, Paul Mcartney says a recipie for some sort of lentil soup and then claim's "oh and by the way I'm alive".

here's a short snippet of it

• Many of the NFL's players served in World War II. Unable to field a complete team, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles temporarily joined forces to play the 1943 season as the Phil-Pitt Steagles.

Phill and Chan--y'all got jerseys?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Many of the NFL's players served in World War II. Unable to field a complete team, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Philadelphia Eagles temporarily joined forces to play the 1943 season as the Phil-Pitt Steagles.

Phill and Chan--y'all got jerseys?

I NEED one of those jerseys!!!!!!!!!!!!! The foll Phill prolly got the home AND away jerseys! LOL.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    The FDA doesnt allow anyone to label Water as "organic".

Or salt.

• You can become immune to scorpion venom. Catch a centipede, and discard its head. Mash the rest, and then scratch your arm and wipe a bit of the juice on the scratch.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I could never find out for sure but I'm pretty sure that pineapple is a vegetable--it has no seeds.

Marcel Duchamp taught John Cage to play chess.

The sun does not set, it is rotated out of view.

Philip Glass did the first transcription of Indian classical music into Euro-American notation.

Some lava rocks float.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Most of the dust in your home is from dead skin cells.

When going around a track, runners almost always go counterclockwise. Races, including Nascar, go counterclockwise.

Beef (killing a cow for food) is illegal in most of India.

In a handful of countries, you can get the death penalty for being homosexual.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Only three countries in the world use the standard (i.e. not metric) measuring system: The United States, Liberia, and Myanmar.

• this one makes sense:

CAMPUS MOTTO: BOTTOMS UP, MAC!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    If the population of China walked past you, in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.

This just messed with me so much I had to grab a calculator.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This is only obscure until one passes the fifth grade.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I could never find out for sure but I'm pretty sure that pineapple is a vegetable--it has no seeds.

It's a fruit, but the kind you buy tends to be seedless, like grapes and watermelon.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It's a fruit, but the kind you buy tends to be seedless, like grapes and watermelon.

It's a fruit.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pineapple.html

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There is a little basketball court in the top of the Matterhorn at Disneyland.
    I have wanted to play on that court ever since I read about that a few years back.

I was just informed, it's now just a storage area.

- spidey

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    rap is something you do, hip hop is something you live!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

i offer an Arzachel original LP to anyone who can tell the difference between fruits and vegetables!

A vegetable is a part of a plant cultivated to be eaten. A fruit is a sweet, ripened ovary of a seed bearing plant.

you need my home address?

- spidey

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    on tesco own brand eggs packaging it says in the allergy advice section

contains egg

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    A vegetable is a part of a plant cultivated to be eaten.

you need my home address?

- spidey

fruits are parts of cultivated plants too.

no, no arzachel for you!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    the length of your foot is equal to the distance between your elbow and wrist, when measured along the inner arm.

Either that or you are in some way deformed. And that's not being deformist.

no, no arzachel for you!

It's why some vegetables are considered fruits.

You should still send me the record.

- spidey

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

no, no arzachel for you!

- spidey

I don't think you can really answer this question. Vegetable has no true definition.

However, did you know a strawberry is not in fact a berry at all. Neither is a blackberry or a raspberry. They're aggregate fruits. But a banana is a berry. So is an orange. So is a pumpkin.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    More?

Here are some animal facts for you.

ANGLERFISH
    The male deep-sea anglerfish is much smaller than the female. But he has giant eyes to look for a suitable female and enormous nostrils to sniff out her pheromones.

Having found her, he latches onto her with his teeth and then starts to disappear. Scales, bones, blood vessels all merge into those of the female. After a few weeks, all that's left of the male are the testes hanging off the female's side, supplying her with his genes.

BEE
    Bees can recognise human faces. Given that many humans struggle with this once they have turned 40, it seems utterly remarkable in a creature whose brain is the size of a pinhead. Yet bees who are rewarded with nectar when shown some photos of faces, and not rewarded when shown others, quickly learn to tell the difference. Not that we should read too much into this. Bees don't "think" in a meaningful way. The "faces" in the experiment were clearly functioning as rather odd-looking flowers, not as people they wanted to get to know socially.

CHEETAH
    The modern cheetah population can be traced back to a single African group of 500 animals that survived the last ice age. Genetically, this means all living cheetahs are as close as identical twins. They are notoriously difficult to breed in captivity because the female needs to be chased by several males before she can ovulate. Akbar the Great, the 16th-century Mogul emperor, kept more than 1,000 cheetahs but managed only one litter. The next cheetah born in captivity wasn't until 1956.

MONKEY
    An experiment with rhesus macaques revealed that they would "pay" to look at pictures of the faces and bottoms of high-ranking females, by forfeiting their usual reward of a glass of cherry juice. With low-ranking females, however, the researchers had to bribe them with an even larger glass of juice before they would pay any attention.

PIGEON
    To keep alive in the wild, a pigeon needs to keep its eyes open for predators. Having eyes on the side of its head gives it a field of view of 340 degrees and, in order to fly at speed, its brain can process visual information three times faster than a human's. If a pigeon watched a feature film, 24 frames per second would appear to it like a slide presentation. They would need at least 75 frames per second to create the illusion of movement on screen. (This is why pigeons seem to leave it until the very last second to fly out of the way of an oncoming car: it appears much less fast to them.)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

no, no arzachel for you!

- spidey

I don't think you can really answer this question. Vegetable has no true definition.

However, did you know a strawberry is not in fact a berry at all. Neither is a blackberry or a raspberry. They're aggregate fruits. But a banana is a berry. So is an orange. So is a pumpkin.

i love those facts. i'm a botanist, so i really care!

a walnut is noz a nut, but a lychee is. GO FIGURE!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

This is only obscure until one passes the fifth grade.

Yeah, but the word sunset gets some pretty heavy rotation for a myth dispelled so early in life.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

no, no arzachel for you!

- spidey

i love those facts. i'm a botanist, so i really care!

Wat do I win?