Post an obscure fact.

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

The sun does not set, it is rotated out of view.

This is only obscure until one passes the fifth grade.

Yeah, but the word sunset gets some pretty heavy rotation for a myth dispelled so early in life.

Please to propose a better term that isn't unnecessarily long or pedantic.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Propagation: Pineapples are propagated by new vegetative growth.[/b] There are four general types: slips that arise from the stalk below the fruit, suckers that originate at the axils or leaves, crowns that grow from the top of the fruits, and ratoons that come out from the under-ground portions of the stems.

That's the royally conufsing part about them. Like many vegetables they are not grown from seed. So, I guess that would mean that all pineapples are seedless? I hear what you guys are saying, but I still feel like pineapple is not a fruit in the way that grapes or watermelons are. Is there a ripened ovary in the pineapple? In botany terms there has to be a ripened ovary for it to be a fruit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    75 million years ago an asteroid crashed into the earth and lofted dust and debris which blocked out sunlight. Thid drastically altered the climate, destroyed plant life and kiled off 95% of all living species - including the dinosaurs. One of the few mammals to survive, where our forebears.

Not so obscure you're thinking..

Well. Such global cataclysms have happened several times. A catastrophic volcanic eruption took place in Sumatra some 75,000 years ago. This decimated the burgeoning human race, which became reduced to a few thousand.

Astronemers have calculated that we will have a serious asteriod crash within the next 100 years.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Yeah, but the word sunset gets some pretty heavy rotation for a myth dispelled so early in life.

Sungone?

There is a species of frog whose males have a 'tail', but the tail is really just a penis.

Before Europeans figured out how to maintain ample amounts of drinking water at all times most people were just drinking beer.

Sungone?

Obscure fact: The sun is not actually gone, it has simply rotated out of view.

I'm just playing. That's not too bad. No better than sundown, though, as far as accuracy goes.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Only reason why I bring it up is because of a R. Buckminster Fuller (the god) anecdote. He was asked to come and give a talk to the physics department at Harvard (or another Ivy League). He starts off with something to the effect of, "I pity you all because we are in the twentieth century and you fools still think you pack up a picnic and bottle of wine and go see a beautiful sunset."

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Propagation: Pineapples are propagated by new vegetative growth.[/b] There are four general types: slips that arise from the stalk below the fruit, suckers that originate at the axils or leaves, crowns that grow from the top of the fruits, and ratoons that come out from the under-ground portions of the stems.

That's the royally conufsing part about them. Like many vegetables they are not grown from seed. So, I guess that would mean that all pineapples are seedless? I hear what you guys are saying, but I still feel like pineapple is not a fruit in the way that grapes or watermelons are. Is there a ripened ovary in the pineapple? In botany terms there has to be a ripened ovary for it to be a fruit.

you should look for some online info. i'm not able to explain it in english, but the pineapple has ripened ovaries. every fruit has ovaries. same goes for the banana of course. the samen are very very small. breeding related. the original banana has much bigger samen. like the cucumber. (the original tomato is black or purple, i think)

a pineapple is an aggregate fruit of berries.
    if you look at apples... you do need eat the fruits of an apple tree, but the surrounding tissue of it which is more likely part of the sprout (part directly under the flower grows around the actual aggregate fruit).

but pineapples... yeah... you eat the fruits (berries) and cut out the sprout (hard middle of the aggregate fruit). imagine a raspberry where the fruits (in this case drupes) grow together (including the surrounding tissue) instead of being a lose aggregate.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Only reason why I bring it up is because of a R. Buckminster Fuller (the god) anecdote. He was asked to come and give a talk to the physics department at Harvard (or another Ivy League). He starts off with something to the effect of, "I pity[/b] you all because we are in the[/b] twentieth century and you fool[/b]s still think you pack up a picnic and bottle of wine and go see a beautiful sunset."

Mr T's raps in Be Somebody... or Be Somebody's Fool! were written by Ice T

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts

Before Europeans figured out how to maintain ample amounts of drinking water at all times most people were just drinking beer.

thats a good one, its true and on the flip explains the chinese/indian/middle east relative inability to handle vast amounts of beer like their european friends and why these areas are such experts in tea & coffee ( boiling the water makes it drinkable you see.. )

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    ..on the flip explains the chinese/indian/middle east relative inability to handle vast amounts of beer like their european friends and why these areas are such experts in tea & coffee ( boiling the water makes it drinkable you see.. )

That's pretty wrong unfortunately. Do you not think Europeans knew how to boil water? Tea or coffee plants don't grow wild in Europe, hence no tea/coffee until trading began. Europeans did make teas/infusions from other things though, like nettles.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There are five, not four, basic tastes: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and??? umami, which is the taste of protein in meat, cheese and fish.

Nasa records show, when Buzz Aldrin set foot on the moon he was relieveing himself.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

you should look for some online info. i'm not able to explain it in english, but the pineapple has ripened ovaries. every fruit has ovaries. same goes for the banana of course. the samen are very very small. breeding related. the original banana has much bigger samen. like the cucumber. (the original tomato is black or purple, i think)

a pineapple is an aggregate fruit of berries.
    if you look at apples... you do need eat the fruits of an apple tree, but the surrounding tissue of it which is more likely part of the sprout (part directly under the flower grows around the actual aggregate fruit).

but pineapples... yeah... you eat the fruits (berries) and cut out the sprout (hard middle of the aggregate fruit). imagine a raspberry where the fruits (in this case drupes) that grow together (including the surrounding tissue) instead of being a lose aggregate.

10 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT THE PINEAPPLE

1. The pineapple takes three years to fruit.
    2. It was discovered for Europe by Christopher Columbus.
    3. The pineapple is the only known source of bromelein, an enzyme that digests protein - it is, literally flesh-eating .
    4. The pineapple was a much sought after
    commodity on board ship, not only for combating scurvy, but also because its high acid content could be used to scrub the deck.
    5. The first pineapple in England was presented to Oliver Cromwell.
    6. Many people in the 17th century believed that it caused cholera and over-heated the blood.
    7. By the mid 1720s every self-respecting aristocrat in England aspired to owning a pinery.
    8. During this time the enormous cost of the cultivation of just one pineapple was about ??80 (nearly ??5,000 today) the cost of a new coach.
    9. By 1820 the first large-scale cargo of pineapples arrived in Britain. By 1850, 200,000 pineapples were being unloaded onto London???s docksides every year.
    10. Today 80 countries harvest 15 million tons of pineapple a year.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    ..on the flip explains the chinese/indian/middle east relative inability to handle vast amounts of beer like their european friends and why these areas are such experts in tea & coffee ( boiling the water makes it drinkable you see.. )

That's pretty wrong unfortunately. Do you not think Europeans knew how to boil water? Tea or coffee plants don't grow wild in Europe, hence no tea/coffee until trading began. Europeans did make teas/infusions from other things though, like nettles.

well traditionally europeans were more likely to drink beer because the ingredients was easily accesable, safe and kept longer, whilst say for example the chinese were more likely to make tea because it was same for them with tea leaves..

and euopeans are the heaviest drinkers in the world...

personally i've never had a nettle tea

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

10 THINGS YOU MAY NOT KNOW ABOUT THE PINEAPPLE

3. The pineapple is the only known source of bromelein, an enzyme that digests protein - it is, literally flesh-eating .

papaya - papain... same thing. only very very few enzymes in nature have that kind of function.

you can use papain to 'soften' meat. you'd get a very tender, tasty steak...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

it's not bad. you should try it... some people eat nettles as salad.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

it's not bad. you should try it... some people eat nettles as salad.

I used to eat nettle flowers when I was a kid.

If you pull the flower out, and suck the end that was connected to the plant you get a sweet sugary liquid.

Nettles are a pretty great plant, and have been used for many things. They are also a member of the Hemp family.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    They are also a member of the Hemp family.

NO!

they are urticaceae, no cannabaceae! they are the same order: rosales

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

NO!

Why was I told this then.. So, is it correct to say they're related? Or is that link strenuous?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    they are as close related as mulberries and hemp. it's definitely not true. they are not the same family, but the same order (roasles [from roses])

edit: every plant is somehow related to another plant...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Oh, thanks.

NO!

Why was I told this then.. So, is it correct to say they're related? Or is that link strenuous tenuous[/b]?

Meanwhile hops are the closest botanical relative to marijuana...I think. Grope?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

NO!

Why was I told this then.. So, is it correct to say they're related? Or is that link strenuous tenuous[/b]?

Meanwhile hops are the closest botanical relative to marijuana...I think. Grope?

yes... they also have the same effect on you. you're slowly turning into a fem when smoking too much weed or drinking too much beer

NO!

yes... they also have the same effect on you. you're slowly turning into a fem when smoking too much weed or drinking too much beer

Wow. Glad I quit weed and drink predominantly wine and booze.

This just in???Phil Mickelson is probably a pothead.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

NO!

Very interesting..

But turning you into a what? 'fem' ?

Is there any way to reverse these effects? They sound kind of strenuous.

NO!

Very interesting..

But turning you into a what? 'fem' ?

Is there any way to reverse these effects? They sound kind of strenuous.

HGH would probably do the trick. Or steroids. Or just working out a lot. Gotta get that testosterone up.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

HGH would probably do the trick. Or steroids. Or just working out a lot. Gotta get that testosterone up.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

i love those facts. i'm a botanist, so i really care!

a walnut is noz a nut, but a lychee is. GO FIGURE!

I love these facts too, but I'm just a biochemist so I have little knowledge of plants and animals above the molecular level. Here's one of my favorite lists:

Some fruits and seeds that are nuts in the culinary sense but not in the botanical sense:

Almond[/b] is the edible seed of a drupe ??? the leathery "flesh" is removed at harvest.
    Brazil nut[/b] is the seed from a capsule.
    Candlenut[/b] (used for oil) is a seed.
    Cashew nut[/b] is a seed.
    Coconut[/b] is a dry, fibrous drupe.
    Horse-chestnut[/b] is an inedible capsule.
    Macadamia nut[/b] is a creamy white kernel (Macadamia integrifolia).
    Malabar chestnut[/b]
    Mongongo[/b]
    Peanut[/b] is a legume and a seed.
    Pine nut[/b] is the seed of several species of pine (coniferous trees).
    Pistachio[/b] nut is the seed of a thin-shelled drupe.
    Lychee[/b] is a member of the soapberry family, in which its berrylike fruits can be eaten fresh or sundried as nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_%28fruit%29

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

NO!

So beer, weed and plastics are lowering world sperm counts?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    From wikipedia:

Soulstrut currently has 63 registered members viewing this forum and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum. Anonymous users are often refered to as "lurkers" by some of the forum's registered members. Registered members with a considerable amount of knowledge are often known as "real headz (sic)."

Registered Soulstrut members often discuss the television show The Wire, rare phonograph recordings, current political happenings, dissatisfaction with ebay, dissatisfaction with attendants of their dj performances, dissatisfaction with other soulstrut members, dissatisfaction with ebay sellers, dissatisfaction with technical issues hindering them from viewing soulstrut, dissatisfaction with the weather, dissatisfaction with another's choice to take their children to McDonalds, dissatisfaction with their own current state of dissatisfaction, dissatisfaction with people who don't know anything about rap music, dissatisfaction with certain obscure facts, dissatisfaction with air jordans that have been stepped on, dissatisfaction with postal and shipping options available to them, interest in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in the weight or lack of weight of Jessica Alba, and food in the Bay Area.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    From wikipedia:

Soulstrut currently has 63 registered members viewing this forum and 131 anonymous users are browsing this forum. Anonymous users are often refered to as "lurkers" by some of the forum's registered members. Registered members with a considerable amount of knowledge are often known as "real headz (sic)."

Registered Soulstrut members often discuss the television show The Wire, rare phonograph recordings, current political happenings, dissatisfaction with ebay, dissatisfaction with attendants of their dj performances, dissatisfaction with other soulstrut members, dissatisfaction with ebay sellers, dissatisfaction with technical issues hindering them from viewing soulstrut, dissatisfaction with the weather, dissatisfaction with another's choice to take their children to McDonalds, dissatisfaction with their own current state of dissatisfaction, dissatisfaction with people who don't know anything about rap music, dissatisfaction with certain obscure facts, dissatisfaction with air jordans that have been stepped on, dissatisfaction with postal and shipping options available to them, interest in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in Popeye's side orders, dissatisfaction in the weight or lack of weight of Jessica Alba, and food in the Bay Area.