AFI Releases 100 Greatest Movies List

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Your knowledge of movies is as shallow as your neo-fascist agenda. First of all Citizen Kane is "Cinema." Have you ever seen "Spiderbaby"? You should stay in the kiddie pool, like if cities were pools, the way Brooklyn would be the "kiddie pool" of New York.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

AFI TOP 100 U.S. FILMS
    1. "Citizen Kane," 1941.[/b]

GTFOHWTBS.

Welles gets props for making a decent movie at a very young age. That's it. VG+ at best. Not even top 25.

top lists are stupid.

Do you like movies?

I love movies. I also happen to think Citizen Kane is among the most COLLOSSALLY over-rated movies in history.

Let me ask this: Has anyone ever seen this movie without already having heard that it's some sort of masterpiece? I think that's where peoples judgment gets impaired.

don't get me wrong, better than 99% of the thousands of movies out there. but nowehere near my top.

I agree. Unless you know that it was the first movie to use a moving camera and the first to shoot powerful people from below and others from above... By that criteria maybe Toy Story should be on the list.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    top lists are stupid.

Yeah, they're stupid but also kind of fun. There are a lot of things on this list that piss me off and some things I agree with. I don't know if Kane should be #1, it is definitely the consensus pick among many circles of film criticism. I'd say for every person who thinks it's a great film because they're told it's a classic there are at least two people who say it's a terd because they like to counter the conventional wisdom.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    1. Apocalypto

yes iam serious doggie

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

AFI TOP 100 U.S. FILMS

GTFOHWTBS.

Welles gets props for making a decent movie at a very young age. That's it. VG+ at best. Not even top 25.

top lists are stupid.

Do you like movies?

I love movies. I also happen to think Citizen Kane is among the most COLLOSSALLY over-rated movies in history.

Let me ask this: Has anyone ever seen this movie without already having heard that it's some sort of masterpiece? I think that's where peoples judgment gets impaired.

don't get me wrong, better than 99% of the thousands of movies out there. but nowehere near my top.

Well, it's a good thing your opinion is in no danger of affecting the course of film history any time soon.

lol while yours on the other hand....

My opinion is ALWAYS in danger.

That list is perfect as it is. To say otherwise is just silly.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The #1 reason why this list can f*ck off?

Do the Right Thing is #96. After Jaws, Snow White, ET, African Queen and LOTR.

Snow White is about as classic as movies get.

I got to agree there, in terms of it's place in film history, music, and animation quality it definitely deserves a place on a top 100 American films list

OK.

How classic it is or whether it should be on the list is not what I am disputing.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    What, no Scarface?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

AFI TOP 100 U.S. FILMS

GTFOHWTBS.

top lists are stupid.

Do you like movies?

I think you need to take some of your own advice here. Expecting a masterpiece will usually result in disappointment.

Expecting a masterpiece will usually result in disappointment.

I need to remember to tell my wife this.

I got to agree there, in terms of it's place in film history, music, and animation quality it definitely deserves a place on a top 100 American films list

OK.

How classic it is or whether it should be on the list is not what I am disputing.

OK.

But lumping Snow White in with Jaws and ET doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Now I know why these lists exist.

OK.

OK.

But lumping Snow White in with Jaws and ET doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

OK.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

OK.

OK.

OK.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    What, no Scarface?

Howard Hawks OG I assume?

The list is called the 100 best American movies, but why only American movies? In a greatest movie lest ever, maybe at least 80% would be US material anyway. This way a lot of good stuff is missing.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    What, no Scarface?

The list is called the 100 best American movies, but why only American movies? In a greatest movie lest ever, maybe at least 80% would be US material anyway. This way a lot of good stuff is missing.

AFI = American Film Institute

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What, no Scarface?

I'm guessing cause its put out by the American Film Institute.

My favorite film is pretty damn American but technically considered to be British.

shoulda been #1 to me

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    post deleted by the department of redundancy department.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

In a greatest movie lest ever, maybe at least 80% would be US material anyway.

can I get a "Hold the Phone" graemlin???

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I really dislike Forrest Gump for some reason.

I really dislike Forrest Gump for some reason.

For good reason I'd say.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

I didn't even read the list but how in the hell did this get left off.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_6190008

Facts about AFI's top-100 movies, then and now[/b]
    By The Associated Press
    Article Launched: 06/20/2007 07:58:34 PM PDT

Here are some facts and trivia about the American Film Institute's new list of top-100 U.S. movies, with some comparisons to the institute's first such list in 1998:

??? Out of the 43 newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006, only four made the new top-100 list: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Saving Private Ryan," "Titanic" and "The Sixth Sense."

??? Nineteen other movies that failed to make the cut in 1998 landed on the list this time: "The General," "Intolerance," "Nashville," "Sullivan's Travels," "Cabaret," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?," "The Shawshank Redemption," "In the Heat of the Night," "All the President's Men," "Spartacus," "Sunrise," "A Night at the Opera," "12 Angry Men," "Swing Time," "Sophie's Choice," "The Last Picture Show," "Do the Right Thing," "Blade Runner" and "Toy Story."

??? Twenty-three films on the 1998 list dropped out of the top-100 this time: "Dr. Zhivago," "The Birth of a Nation," "From Here to Eternity," "Amadeus," "All Quiet on the Western Front," "The Third Man," "Fantasia," "Rebel Without a Cause," "Stagecoach," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," "The Manchurian Candidate," "An American in Paris," "Wuthering Heights," "Dances With Wolves," "Giant," "Fargo," "Mutiny on the Bounty," "Frankenstein," "Patton," "The Jazz Singer," "My Fair Lady," "A Place in the Sun" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."

??? The earliest film represented is 1916's "Intolerance" and the

newest is 2001's "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."

??? The 1970s is the most-represented decade, with 20 films.

??? Only three films hold the same rank they held on the 1998 list: "Citizen Kane" at No. 1, "The Godfather Part II at No. 32 and "The Best Years of Our Lives" at No. 37.

no biting

I just realized Night of the Hunter is not on the list. The list is dead to me. I have no list.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

No. 79

I just realized Night of the Hunter is not on the list. The list is dead to me. I have no list.

the first time i saw that movie, i thought it was great, Robert Mitchum's got animal magnitism no doubt. But then I saw it again a few years ago, and it was really bad. The dialogue is bad, and the wierd voice over they do with the little girl makes her sound possessed. I don't know what happened, it just wasn't good. The original cape fear I think is better. plus it has Telly with hair. Who loves ya bab y?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    its pretty insulting how they offer up intolerance in place of birth of a nation. revisionist historian bastards!

Way Out East and Broken Blossoms are both better pictures.