AFI Releases 100 Greatest Movies List

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    broken blossom is better than both. im assuming youre talking about griffiths way down east. which isnt better than broken blossom or intolerance.

im not saying birth of a nation is the greatest. but if we are talking about society impact blah blah blah, then the film industry as we know it wouldnt exist without birth of a nation. and i think the afi would like to forget that.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I really dislike Forrest Gump for some reason.

maybe cause it really, really sucks.

• ctrl+ f "paper moon" not found

fuck this list. god damn american film sucks

god damn american film sucks

dude.

• yes?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    broken blossom is better than both. im assuming youre talking about griffiths way down east. which isnt better than broken blossom or intolerance.

im not saying birth of a nation is the greatest. but if we are talking about society impact blah blah blah, then the film industry as we know it wouldnt exist without birth of a nation. and i think the afi would like to forget that.

Broken blossoms is the better movie. Birth of a Nation is most inovative for the use of narrative and frame its revolutionary (I mean before that they didnt even use cut aways to concurrent actions, showing one after the other instead), but Broken Blossoms is much tighter. I saw a tinted print of this at MOMA with a live orquestra that was like watching a dream. Absolutrely beautiful. When he is in the room dropping petals on her in the moonlight, or when she is hiding from her dad in the closet freaking out.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm kinda with Rootless on this one to an extent. Although it would make my top 10 the kneejerk reaction of putting Kane at number 1 is extremely tiring.

Yes I appreciate its technical brilliance and the influence it had on cinema, but, if the criteria takes into account the power a film has today, it's relevance, the enjoyment still attained from it, I just don't see it being the greatest American film ever made.

Any list that ranks Forest Gump and Titanic - two of the most cynically soulless movies I've ever seen above these:

84. "Easy Rider," 1969.
    85. "A Night at the Opera," 1935.
    87. "12 Angry Men," 1957.
    88. "Bringing Up Baby," 1938.
    92. "Goodfellas," 1990.
    93. "The French Connection," 1971.
    94. "Pulp Fiction," 1994.
    95. "The Last Picture Show," 1971.
    96. "Do the Right Thing," 1989.
    97. "Blade Runner," 1982.

Is pure piffle in my book.

Also, LOL at sixth sense being in top 90 American films of all time. I mean, seriously. I really could go on all night........

• god damn american film sucks

Hahahahaha. Was waiting for this. I could've typed it for you.

Why do you even live here mang? Why not expatriate?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    As much as i love Star Wars u cant tell me the acting was excellent.

Not that I'm going to ride or die for Star Wars, but criticizing that movie for its acting is like saying James Brown shouldn't be recognized for his musical contributions because his lyrics weren't well-written.

i would like to say that i think citizen kane is a well deserved #1.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i would like to say that i think citizen kane is a well deserved #1.

I love the opening the way it starts with the news reel. that gets an A+ for creative way to give background.

• ??? Out of the 43 newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006, only four made the new top-100 list: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Saving Private Ryan," "Titanic" and "The Sixth Sense."

Why are there only 43 from that 10 year period? What criteria determined those 43? God I hope it's not box office $$$$$$.

??? Out of the 43 newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006, only four made the new top-100 list: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Saving Private Ryan," "Titanic" and "The Sixth Sense."

Why are there only 43 from that 10 year period? What criteria determined those 43? God I hope it's not box office $$$$$$.

good point. what does "eligible" mean? why isn't every movie released "eligible"?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

??? Out of the 43 newly eligible films released from 1996 to 2006, only four made the new top-100 list: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring," "Saving Private Ryan," "Titanic" and "The Sixth Sense."

even if it was $$$ many of the highest grossing films of all time came out in the last 10 years. I'm going to see if I can look into his some more...

according to Wikipedia here is the criteria

Criteria[/b]

Films were judged by the following criteria.

1. Feature-length: Narrative format, at least 40 minutes in length.
    2. American film: English language, with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States.
    3. Critical Recognition: Formal commendation in print.
    4. Major Award Winner: Recognition from competitive events including awards from organizations in the film community and major film festivals.
    5. Popularity Over Time: Including figures for box office adjusted for inflation, television broadcasts and syndication, and home video sales and rentals.
    6. Historical Significance: A film's mark on the history of the moving image through technical innovation, visionary narrative devices or other groundbreaking achievements.
    7. Cultural Impact: A film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance.

but that doesn't explain which movies were considered, i.e. "eligible" to even be judged by those criteria.

• but that doesn't explain which movies were considered, i.e. "eligible" to even be judged by those criteria.

Well, it pretty much explains that it's on some "ol' boy network/buddy system" steez to me.

But we already knew that when we saw "Titanic" on the damn list, right.

I have stored in my brain exactly the point in Titanic where you see ol' girl's titties and when it's on cable every day if I flip past it I can stop and see them if it's within about 2 to 3 minutes of her breaking 'em out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    but that doesn't explain which movies were considered, i.e. "eligible" to even be judged by those criteria.

I think this is the big one

4. Major Award Winner: Recognition from competitive events including awards from organizations in the film community and major film festivals.

I guess only 43 films won "major" awards

I think this is the big one

I guess only 43 films won "major" awards

well so much for that list.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

even if it was $$$ many of the highest grossing films of all time came out in the last 10 years. I'm going to see if I can look into his some more...

according to Wikipedia here is the criteria

Criteria[/b]

Films were judged by the following criteria.

1. Feature-length: Narrative format, at least 40 minutes in length.
    2. American film: English language, with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States.
    3. Critical Recognition: Formal commendation in print.
    5. Popularity Over Time: Including figures for box office adjusted for inflation, television broadcasts and syndication, and home video sales and rentals.
    6. Historical Significance: A film's mark on the history of the moving image through technical innovation, visionary narrative devices or other groundbreaking achievements.
    7. Cultural Impact: A film's mark on American society in matters of style and substance.

Knowing the criteria certainly changes the debate. Citizen Kane is a must given 3, 4, 6 and 7. So does Birth Of A Nation and Toy Story.

It also explains why Titanic made the list and Brother From Another Planet did not. It doesn't explain Tootsie over Some Like It Hot.

I remember when the first list came out and the up roar over BOAN. As I recall AFI used the criteria to elegantly defend their position. I'm betting there have been changes at the top.

im saying. taking it off the list speaks volumes over leaving it on there.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Why do you even live here mang? Why not expatriate?

I heard Yung_Rape_Donks is on his way out.

But American film shreds. Hello? Zoolander? Freddie vs. Jason?

i would have to agree. american films rule. though i prefer jason X to the freddy v jason

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i would have to agree. american films rule. though i prefer jason X to the freddy v jason

What was the full title for the one where Jason went to space?

if that one didn't win a major American award we need to create on for it to win and get it up on this list

if that one didn't win a major American award we need to create on for it to win and get it up on this list

thats jason x dude!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    As much as I love Star Wars, seeing it way above Bladerunner (tying for best sci-fi movie ever with 2001) just doesn't make sense to me. But then that's me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

The full title is Jason X as far as I know.

I think people are overlooking the creative peak of the series in episode 4 which managed to over achieve on the AFI's criteria by featuring the work of feldman and glover on screen together for the only time so far in their careers.

The full title is Jason X as far as I know.

I think people are overlooking the creative peak of the series in episode 4 which managed to over achieve on the AFI's criteria by featuring the work of feldman and glover on screen together for the only time so far in their careers.

definitely up there with the Pacino-DeNiro scene the little dudes are always talmbout from Heat.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    citizen kane was a great movie. the images and cinematography were pretty fuckin dope, especially for the year it was made. great story too. i would say thats just me, but..... its been number one on this list for a long time.

titanic, however, was a titanic piece of shit that, in my opinion, has no place on this list. i rented it when it was on vhs and i wish i had just watched the second tape first and get right to the sinking of the ship and leo to the bottom of the sea...

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I>Leprechaun 4: In Space/I> >> I>Jason X/I>

I am working on the script for I>Freddie vs. Jason vs. Leprechaun In Space/I>. Not to give anything away but the Leprechaun wins.