Amy Winehose- graetest white chick EVER???

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
eff a late pass... just sayin'... i was bumpin' that back to black on my ipod during my morning walk and now i'm tryna think of a YT chick that's > amy the drunk and i can't think of one. and don' even hop in yer time machine and come back with janis joplin's bones... amy smashes her on inebriated cuteness ALONE (cuteness is important, after all).olivia newton john? close, but nobritney? nostevie nicks? yo, i LOVES me some stevie nicks but right now i think i gots to ride with amy's azz! can you name an all-time deffer wite broad than amy? i'd like to hear some suggestionsi really think she's squating down in this flik to relieve her bladder.... i wouldn't be surprised

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    really? I thought this last album was unlistenable after one time through. Guess I could give er a 2nd go. That voice gets grating though.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    really? I thought this last album was unlistenable after one time through. Guess I could give er a 2nd go. That voice gets grating though.

MAN meaty... what type of f**kery is this??? hey, i understand yall ss doods not cosignin' my girl corrinne bailey rae (yall aint ready for that yet), but no love for AMY??? blasphemous at best

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

can you name an all-time deffer wite broad than amy? i'd like to hear some suggestions

TEENA MARIE

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

can you name an all-time deffer wite broad than amy? i'd like to hear some suggestions

TEENA MARIE

BOOM BOP BIP BOWWW!!! plus Teena is an AMERICAN gal.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

TEENA MARIE

i was just reading that Rick James article in Wax Poetics thinking about Teena Marie.

She had a single out about 2 years ago (or so) that was REALLY good....what happened to that? Did an LP follow? I need .mp3 of the single if anyone has it handy.

As for Amy Winehouse.....lots of people hate on her, but I am a huge fan. Especially when i saw this:

Binky Griptite on guitar.

your gonna tell me this folk singer is a greater yt girl than Amy??? you may as well pull Tenille (sans Captain) out yer azz IMO

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it was pretty unanimous that most of the ss collective DID NOT dig winehouse, a lot of hating went down, as usual. so it should be interesting to see how the tide changes now that the god Phill has placed his blessing on the girl.
    i thought she was a breath of fresh air on the billboard charts.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the whole 'pretty-good-for a white-gal' thing is a kinda weak, but since I'm not a Winehouse fan, I'll pipe and say that imo Carole King, Helen Mirrell, Bobbie Gentry and Julie Driscoll, to name just a few, kick Winehouse's skinny ass.

and oh yea, the singer from Air, whose name escapes me right now.

your gonna tell me this folk singer is a greater yt girl than Amy??? you may as well pull Tenille (sans Captain) out yer azz IMO

I personally can't listen to too much Joni Mitchell in one sitting, but Amy Winehouse is not even in the same building as Joni, IMO. Joni Mitchell is one-of-a-kind for sure, and arguably a genius in her way. I don't think anyone is arguing over Amy being some kind of genius.

TEENA MARIE

okay... now you talkin' my language. Really she's black, though, but I will buy that one. if amy can stay alive long enough to actually have a storied career i think she can be up there w/ Lady T, though... unfortunately i see her burning out real fast

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

I personally can't listen to too much Joni Mitchell in one sitting, but Amy Winehouse is not even in the same building as Joni, IMO. Joni Mitchell is one-of-a-kind for sure, and arguably a genius in her way. I don't think anyone is arguing over Amy being some kind of genius.

lemme quote like this so we dont have to see that picture 20 more times.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    eff a late pass... just sayin'... i was bumpin' that back to black on my ipod during my morning walk and now i'm tryna think of a YT chick that's > amy the drunk and i can't think of one. and don' even hop in yer time machine and come back with janis joplin's bones... amy smashes her on inebriated cuteness ALONE (cuteness is important, after all).

olivia newton john? close, but no

britney? no

stevie nicks? yo, i LOVES me some stevie nicks but right now i think i gots to ride with amy's azz!

i really think she's squating down in this flik to relieve her bladder.... i wouldn't be surprised

She was hot before she lost all that weight. I can't think of any white woman who's music I ever really liked. When I was 11 years old, I dug Samantha Fox. Sheena Easton was cool back then, too.

it was pretty unanimous that most of the ss collective DID NOT dig winehouse, a lot of hating went down, as usual. so it should be interesting to see how the tide changes now that the god Phill has placed his blessing on the girl.

oh, it won't change! i would be disappointed if it did. i am, after all, old and lolololzers!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    eff a late pass... just sayin'... i was bumpin' that back to black on my ipod during my morning walk and now i'm tryna think of a YT chick that's > amy the drunk and i can't think of one. and don' even hop in yer time machine and come back with janis joplin's bones... amy smashes her on inebriated cuteness ALONE (cuteness is important, after all).

olivia newton john? close, but no

britney? no

stevie nicks? yo, i LOVES me some stevie nicks but right now i think i gots to ride with amy's azz!

i really think she's squating down in this flik to relieve her bladder.... i wouldn't be surprised

She was hot before she lost all that weight. I can't think of any white woman who's music I ever really liked. When I was 11 years old, I dug Samantha Fox. Sheena Easton was cool back then, too.

I think that photo is from the video shoot for "Fuck-Me Pumps", which took place a few minutes down the road from my gaff.

oh, it won't change! i would be disappointed if it did. i am, after all, old and lolololzers!

My wife listens to 'Rehab' and 'Me and Mr. Jones' on repeat, which is usualyy my indicator of mass apeal. She really hasn't gotten under my skin as much, but I can't hate on her either. I did recently enjoy an 'exotic dancer' in Las Vegas interpreting 'Rehab', and the group of young lesbians in attendance knew every word, so that was fun.

i was just reading that Rick James article in Wax Poetics thinking about Teena Marie.

DAMMMN that schitt was .... they pulled her azz out of a hospital bed with like a 113 degree fever to record Fire And Desire!

craziest schitt in that article was the schitt about Rick James cussin' out Stevie Wonder in the studio!

She had a single out about 2 years ago (or so) that was REALLY good....what happened to that? Did an LP follow? I need .mp3 of the single if anyone has it handy.

that joint was DOPE... with the Al Green sample. the schitt she did for Cash Money.... yeah, she did drop an lp from what I recall... i remember hearing a couple of other jams that were pretty nice, too. never heard the whole album though

jyeah, i hear ya, birdman... and no disrespect, but for real... genius schmenius. DOES IT BANG IN THE CLUBB???? don't take a whole lot of genius ability to make it bang in the clubb, and that's waht it is at the end of the day

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Ok, just to contribute some more chicks to compare (and the video needs to be dropped).
    This semi-talented singer from Germany is usually presented as "super-hot" and talented - that German real shitt (don??t ask why).

and if worst comes to worst...wait for the chorus.

• I dig Amy.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    She's not an entertainer per se, but I gotta go with the completely blank slate of Patty Hearst.

• Jackie DeShannon
    Francoise Hardy
    Wanda Jackson
    Dolly Parton
    Texas Gladden
    The Carter Family
    Nico
    Carole King
    Edith Piaf
    Maria Callas
    Joanna Martzy
    Jacqueline Du Pre
    Patsy Cline
    Debbie Harry
    Dusty Springfield
    Elisabeth Schwarzkopf
    June Christy
    Bobbie Gentry

for a start, and sticking to music

Widen the scope and... Amy ain't fit to tie Louise Brooks ribbons.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    yeah OK she's hot, and i heard one of her songs in a bar once and it was OK, but she's been out for what- 15 minutes? this is a huge diss to tons of great women who have demonstrated artistic longevity. check back in a couple decades and see if anyone's still checking for or talking about this lady. i can't even believe i'm in this thread, but i had to say it

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Isn't Phill's main twist Marina Rock? I'm not sure how much of a tastemaker he is around here.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    the whole 'pretty-good-for a white-gal' thing is a kinda weak, but since I'm not a Winehouse fan, I'll pipe and say that imo Carole King, Helen Mirrell, Bobbie Gentry and Julie Driscoll, to name just a few, kick Winehouse's skinny ass.

I respect Phill's interest in finding something that moves him, personally, be it random rap or marina rock. I can't argue with that.

For me, Amy is 90% contrivance. Listening to her makes me feel like I am being served shit and told it's chocolate. I'd be happy to see Amy's music drink itself to death.

To continue with the few bassie named, I'd respectfully add to the list Lotti Golden, Karen Dalton, Frightwig, Kathleen Hanna, Thalia Zedek, Siouxsie, Franc??oiz Breut, Rosalie Sorrels, Shoogie Dong, Mary Longford, ala muerte, Sibylle Baier, Maria Callas, Spitboy, Dolly Parton, UT...

And as far as crazy white chicks go, there are tons of women making laudable fools of themselves for the sake of their art. I find more substance, more conviction, more unintelligble spew that nevertheless makes the hair on my neck stand at attention, more of whatever it is that engages me in this single Shannon Wright song than I do in the entire Winehouse catalog:

Here's to crazy white bewitching!
    (That is, enrapture)

Carole King

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Toni Tenile sings back up on Pink Floyd's THE WALL. .

For real, I put Joni up there just to fuck wit cha. I knew that you wouldn't be digging her scene her scene.

For what it's worth Joplin always annoyed me. Over singing is never a good look. As far a soulful blancas I like:

Bonnie Bramlett

Dusty Springfield

And...

Carol Motherfucking King, girlfriend wrote "Natural Woman", "Locomotion" and host of other soul classics. Of course "Too Late" is a stone jam.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Googie Coppola?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Googie Coppola?

lol - yea, you know, cause it's the most forgettable name ever!
    thanks!