2007 MOTHERF*CKING MLB THREAD BEYACHES!!

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

b/w I'm going to see Matsuzaka pitch tonight.

Speaking of pitching, how did this game turn out?

Um, uh..... no comment.

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts
    b/w Schilling is pitching a no hitter through six innings. And yes, I'm only mentioning this fact in order to jinx him.

The millenium has been good to the Sox in that regard. Lowe had a no-no in 2002, and Nomo had one in 2001. Plus, Bronson Arroyo and Tomo Ohka threw perfect games in AAA Pawtucket, in 2003 and 2000 respectively.

We'll see how it goes....

• Mauer comes back tomorrow.

I'm optimistic.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    b/w Schilling is pitching a no hitter through six innings. And yes, I'm only mentioning this fact in order to jinx him.

yes! shannon stewart!

a's took 3 out of 4, with a fraction of the red sox budget. gonna go catch tony larussa and the cards at the oakland coliseum manana. should be fun.

as for my giants, matt morris goes 8 innings gives up 1 freaking run and they lose. how the hell did barry get shin splints? dude doesnt even run?!?!?!? is benji molina faster than bonds? hmmm

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    did the mets win tonight???

• I'll be at yankee stadium this sat catch Roger vs pittsburgh, and next saturday vs the mets. Anyone else going? I am behind bobby in lodge, holla and link up for an overpriced $12 heineken.

did the mets win tonight???

No, they lost in the 10th.

Dude went 8 2/3 before giving up the hit. He was all "I'm just glad we got the win" after the game, but that's got to sting at least a little bit.

Still, a 1-0 win is some classic old school baseball, and I ain't mad, doggie.

Dude went 8 2/3 before giving up the hit. He was all "I'm just glad we got the win" after the game, but that's got to sting at least a little bit.

What a relief. That's what you get for fervently supporting the Bush administration.

What a relief. That's what you get for fervently supporting the Bush administration.

Yeah, sometimes I wish he'd just shut up and play baseball. Nobody wants to know an athlete's political affiliations, you know?

• Funny thing is, He shook off the slider or whatever tek had called. He decided to throw his fastball on his own... tuff luck schill, now he will always have to wonder forever.. what if! woulda been the third oldest to throw no hitter beside nolan ryan & cy young.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Nobody wants to know an athlete's political affiliations, you know?

"Hey, don't forget about me now!"

I thought about him and the 1968 Olympic track medalists when I wrote that, too, but you could say they're the exceptions that prove the rule. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I agree wit( their politics.

I thought about him and the 1968 Olympic track medalists when I wrote that, too, but you could say they're the exceptions that prove the rule. Or maybe I'm just saying that because I agree with their politics.

Yeah, I think it just has to do with not liking the political affiliation Curt s(c)hills for.

Personally, I think athletes should be MORE vocal about politics, not less. Athletes are in an unusually potent position in many respects. They have a level of fame and access to the media that exceeds that of many Hollywood stars (and certainly politicians!), yet their racial and ethnic make-up, combined with their socio-economic backgrounds, are vastly more representative of the U.S. and world population. Also, for better or for worse, athletes have a certain dominion over all things masculine, or at least physical superiority, which counts for a lot in our society. Think of the impact Magic Johnson contracting HIV had on the de-stigmatizing of the disease.

At the same time, I think it can be argued that sports play a duel role in both pacifying the public by providing constant entertainment/stiulation (how crazy is it that sports even have a segment on the "news" in the first place, let alone such a sizable chunk of the program?), and indoctrinating us with the values of nationalism, warfare, etc. In my mind, this makes it all the more important for athletes to use what leverage they have to take political stands.

In my mind, this makes it all the more important for athletes to use what leverage they have to take political stands.

You make some good points. But consider the life path that most athletes follow in this country on their way to becoming professional athletes. In the majority of high schools and colleges, athletes are coddled academically, and given the old nod and wink when it comes to actual academic acheivement. As a result, unless they take the initiative to educate themselves, they're less educated than the average American adult. Do we really want these people taking the proverbial pulpit and telling our children (and intellectually malleable adults) what to think politically?

I think that more athletes should be vocal about their enthusiasm for dogfighting.

In my mind, this makes it all the more important for athletes to use what leverage they have to take political stands.

You make some good points. But consider the life path that most athletes follow in this country on their way to becoming professional athletes. In the majority of high schools and colleges, athletes are coddled academically, and given the old nod and wink when it comes to actual academic acheivement. As a result, unless they take the initiative to educate themselves, they're less educated than the average American adult. Do we really want these people taking the proverbial pulpit and telling our children (and intellectually malleable adults) what to think politically?

Actually, professional athletes are far more educated than the average American, if only due to the opportunities afforded to them by their athletic abilities. The percentage of American adults with a college degree is roughly 30%, whereas the number is more like 60-80% of professional athletes, depending on which sport you look at (basketball players would fall on the low end, whereas hockey players, for some reason, fall on the higher end). The coddling factor is certainly real, and may take a little bit of punch out of that disparity, but not that much. You would have to entirely discredit more than half of those athletes' degrees just to put them on equal footing with the rest of America. I don't want to overstate the relevance of a college degree as a sole determinant of intelligence, though; professional athletes tend to have some combination of superior leadership skills, strategic skills, unreal drive and ambition, etc. etc. that can extend beyond the sporting arena.

Really, though, I don't think all that academic degree stuff matters that much here. Ali was dyslexic and barely graduated high school, but he was keenly aware of what was going on around him and had the sense and the courage not to treat the sporting world as somehow removed from that reality. There is a major push in the opposite direction these days in professional sports. In the post-Michael Jordan era, corporate endorsements are like a noose around the nuts of potentially "disobedient" players. All I'm saying is I wish there was more resistance to that trend. I'm not looking for an outpouring of athletes chiming in on every political issue, I just want the intelligent, principled, dissenting players out there not to feel so stiffled by the current climate.

I stand corrected.

I think that people who know what they're talking about should speak up on political or social issues. Everyone else needs to shut up and listen. I think this applies across the board, including athletes with college degrees.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts

go brewaers!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

high fucking heat.

you around on saturday? let's go drink.king.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    not sure yet, but I can find y'all at zuzu, yah?

any word on that other thing?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Shit, man...didn't mean to let that slide. definite probable. oof:

anyway, i gotta ask about one thing at work tomorrow. if you ain't heard from me by Friday, you get permission to PUT ME ON BLAST AS A LAZY MOFO.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    justin verlander was dealing! dude was clocking in at 100mphs in the 9th inning!

curt schilling getting a no-no, hell no, but i can root for verlander.

Being a Sox fan since '74 I will say this: NEVER count those Yankees out. EVER.
    And you're right on point: The more distance we can put between ourselves and them now the better.
    They WILL start winning again. And at some point the Sox will slump too.
    Believe that.

Paul speaks the truth. Yanks about to make it 9 in a row.

Being a Sox fan since '74 I will say this: NEVER count those Yankees out. EVER.
    And you're right on point: The more distance we can put between ourselves and them now the better.
    They WILL start winning again. And at some point the Sox will slump too.
    Believe that.

Paul speaks the truth. Yanks about to make it 9 in a row.

Ebbs and flows. It's a marathon, not a sprint. One day at a time. Etc.

We have not yet begun to throw down.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck the Mets

I prefer this photo for Pedro's Mortal Kombat-esque finishing posture:

I may be a Yankee fan but Pedro throwing Zimmer by his huge head was and always will be hilarious.