Superior Sophmore Efforts? (RR)

Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    The Carter II > everything before it
    nonsense

never mind that its not a sophomore album
    (lights out > the block is hot, though)

i know it wasn't his second album, but it was his first album that mattered! ha. anyway, based on what I've heard, I'd be willing to bet that if I sat down and listened to each of his albums (of which, admittedly, I have only heard The Block Is Hot front to back, the others I just heard pieces), I would say that he has progressed and gotten better by each album, and this should hopefully mean that the Carter III is going to top all previous work.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i know it wasn't his second album, but it was his first album that mattered!

i guess one million people can be wrong...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    his first solo album wasn't even his first album that mattered

i should prob listen to the first hot boys album again sometime

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    nonsense

i know it wasn't his second album, but it was his first album that mattered! ha. anyway, based on what I've heard, I'd be willing to bet that if I sat down and listened to each of his albums (of which, admittedly, I have only heard The Block Is Hot front to back, the others I just heard pieces), I would say that he has progressed and gotten better by each album, and this should hopefully mean that the Carter III is going to top all previous work.

this is the definition of carpetbagging, right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i know it wasn't his second album, but it was his first album that mattered!

i guess one million people can be wrong...

Please be serious; blogs did not even exist back then. In the absence of validation by bloggers, the million people that bought Block is Hot are indeed wrong.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    nonsense

Pretty much...just change those parameters to fit your own outsider's perspective, why don't ya?

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i've always been confused about that. thanks for clearing it up

nonsense

Hey, call it what you want but it's true.

I don't ride that hard for dude, it's just that he was a rapper almost nobody gave a shit about until a couple years ago when he dropped a dope album. Now he's extra famous and I, among several hundred thousand other people, am anticipating his new album.

I don't know what carpetbagging means, can I get an actual definition?

• N.W.A. - "Straight outta Compton" >>>>> N.W.A. - "N.W.A. and the posse"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

nonsense

I don't ride that hard for dude, it's just that he was a rapper almost nobody gave a shit about until a couple years ago when he dropped a dope album. Now he's extra famous and I, among several hundred thousand other people, am anticipating his new album.

You just defined it perfectly again on your own.

That didn't help much, thanks.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I've been wondering how it's used in this context as well. Obviously, it's similar to the original context, where Northern folks went down South after the Civil War with huge bags of money (often apparently made from a sewn-up carpet) to take advantage of Southerners whose money was now worthless by buying their property. But I can't really make the correlation between that and hip hop. Is it like swaggerjacking?

nonsense

Ok so carpet bagging is discussing why you like certain artists? In that case, you would be exemplary.

nonsense

It's really not, though--he never had an album prior to Tha Carter that didn't at least go gold... people plainly did appreciate him.

Now, the nature of that appreciation may have changed over time, but I think people started to check for him as a serious lyricist years before Tha Carter, with the SQAD UP tapes.

nonsense

Ok so carpet bagging is discussing why you like certain artists? In that case, you would be exemplary.

Okay, one more time for the slow folks among us...

Carpetbagging is thinking that no one gave a shit about Wayne until Johnny-Come-Lately NYC journalists started paying attention to Wayne.

I've been wondering how it's used in this context as well. Obviously, it's similar to the original context, where Northern folks went down South after the Civil War with huge bags of money (often apparently made from a sewn-up carpet) to take advantage of Southerners whose money was now worthless by buying their property. But I can't really make the correlation between that and hip hop. Is it like swaggerjacking?

All I did was say Lil' Wayne became good one year and apparently that makes me one of these? OK. Hey does it count that I lived in the south or 7 or 8 years? Is this a regional thing like I am jumping on the bandwagon but since I live in Colorado I can't possibly relate to Lil Wayne and that is why I am only catching on after his 4th album? I still don't really understand it, but hey, I'm not offended by the likes of Deej and HarveyCanal either way so it's whatever. Just help me understand so I can try not to offend anybody in the future.

Now, the nature of that appreciation may have changed over time, but I think people started to check for him as a serious lyricist years before Tha Carter, with "Clear the Set" from Guerilla Warfare.

Carpetbagging is thinking that no one gave a shit about Wayne until Johnny-Come-Lately NYC journalists started paying attention to Wayne.

OH OK I get it. So you are assuming that some journalist or some asshole with an opinion turned me on to him? It's not possible to discover and enjoy music without somebody else putting you on to it?

OH OK I get it. So you are assuming that some journalist or some asshole with an opinion turned me on to him? It's not possible to discover and enjoy music without somebody else putting you on to it?

No, the question becomes...who put you up to belittling Wayne's pre-Carter catalog, oh wise one?

No, the question becomes...who put you up to belittling Wayne's pre-Carter catalog, oh wise one?

New Yorkers!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    GB , just take the L.

New Yorkers!

My town by way of SXSW will soon be filled to the brim with New Yorkers thinking that nothing happens without them approving it first.

Oh, the joy.

I did from listening to it. I can't have an opinion? I knew he was going gold on Cash Money with his earlier shit, I didn't mean nobody cared about him as in people didn't buy his albumns, I meant he never made it out of his "niche" if you will, until the Carter II. He didn't start largely appealing to outside audiences until that point. To put it simply, more people own the Carter II without owning a previous Lil' Wayne album than any other Lil' Wayne album. Is that fact? No, but I'd put my money on it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I did from listening to it. I can't have an opinion? I knew he was going gold on Cash Money with his earlier shit, I didn't mean nobody cared about him as in people didn't buy his albumns, I meant he never made it out of his "niche" if you will, until the Carter II. He didn't start largely appealing to outside audiences until that point. To put it simply, more people own the Carter II without owning a previous Lil' Wayne album than any other Lil' Wayne album. Is that fact? No, but I'd put my money on it.
    o_0

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

New Yorkers!

My town by way of SXSW will soon be filled to the brim with New Yorkers thinking that nothing happens without them approving it first.

Oh, the joy.

It sounds to me like they may be coming down there because they need to get it how you know they know they want it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    The Bends >>>>>> Pablo Honey

is that one too obvious? how about

Naturally >> Dap dippin' with...

although both are superb.

any polvo fans?

Today's active lifestyles >> Cor-crane secret

So now Bling Bling never came out. Ya mind telling us what's next on your denying-the-South-its-proper-due agenda?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    harvey you make being right seem so corny

New Yorkers!

Oh, the joy.

It sounds to me like they may be coming down there because they need to get it how you know they know they want it.

But of course.