Superior Sophmore Efforts? (RR)

Comments

• Caetano Veloso

>>>  

Caetano Veloso

Seriously, dude? For me it's not even close. His first album is far superior.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yes, seriously. His first album is more psychadelic, has a "cooler" cover, and features some truly outstanding songs; however, it's all over the map and is heavily influenced by Duprat's production (which is not a bad thing). The 2nd album is deeper on so many levels, holds together as a truly cohesive album, and is (by Caetano's own admission) more his own creation.

I wouldn't dismiss it so hastily, if I were you.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Whodini

Escape > S/T

Big Tyme > Livin Large

• Yes, seriously. His first album is more psychadelic, has a "cooler" cover, and features some truly outstanding songs; however, it's all over the map and is heavily influenced by Duprat's production (which is not a bad thing). The 2nd album is deeper on so many levels, holds together as a truly cohesive album, and is (by Caetano's own admission) more his own creation.

i agree with you here, but not on Cymande

although i think the phenomenon of debut albums' superiority is largely a hip-hop thing. Artists in other genres like rock, soul, jazz often had much greater longevity and displayed extensive growth throughout their careers. whereas in rap an artist with three or four great albums is practically an anomaly

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Is Dead >>>> Three Feet High
    Death Certificate >>>> AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    Stress: The Extinction Agenda >>>> Organized Konfusion

i concur on these.

add Common and Kast to my list(sorry rillz....ATLiens is in fact the better album).

also...i will add FF "inner city griots", although i am sure archaic will say i am just a band wagon jumper.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Supreme Clientele >>>>> Ironman

• Yes, seriously. His first album is more psychadelic, has a "cooler" cover, and features some truly outstanding songs; however, it's all over the map and is heavily influenced by Duprat's production (which is not a bad thing). The 2nd album is deeper on so many levels, holds together as a truly cohesive album, and is (by Caetano's own admission) more his own creation.

I own and enjoy both but for me the all over the map feel of his debut represents an artist full of ideas trying different things and succeeding. There are a lot of great songs on his second album but I always come back to the first. I also don't see how his second can be considered more his creation when it was all overdubbed after he had recorded it.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Geto Boys - Grip It! On That Other Level
    CMW - Straight Checkn 'Em
    Ice T - Power

Playaz N the Game >>> Don't Stop Till We Major

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Maybe it's just where I was at personally when it came out

Way to derail this thread into yet another Project Blowed discussion, Shied!

Nah, that's me. I keeps it real, tho'. You should see my chest-dreads - when I'm fittin' to get my hack on in the backpacker cipher, I add a little hairspray and make 'em spell "Thug Life".

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Oops!... I Did It Again > ...Baby One More Time

Stripped > S/T

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
     <<<<< 

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    TLC Crazy Sexy Cool

oh, and It takes A Nation Of Million To Hold us Back > Yo Bumrush The Show

Popular Vote, but my Private mindgarden has Yo! The agenda wasnt forced. Dont mind me.

In God We Trust >>>> One for All

Everywhere I go, all I ever seem to hear is
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    No matter where I go, all I ever seem to see is
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!

In God We Trust >>>> One for All

BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!
    BAN BAN!! BAN BAN!!

check last week's Brand Nubian thread. I'd say about half of the people in that thread agreed with me on this.

Genocide and Juice >>> Kill My Landlord

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

also...i will add FF "inner city griots", although i am sure archaic will say i am just a band wagon jumper.

Nah, Inner City Griots is far superior to To Whom It May Concern.

I've always said that.

Playaz N the Game >>> almost anything by anybody

Genocide and Juice >>> Kill My Landlord

A close-call, but true.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    oh, and It takes A Nation Of Million To Hold us Back > Yo Bumrush The Show

Popular Vote, but my Private mindgarden has Yo! The agenda wasnt forced. Dont mind me.

Don't believe the white man hype!

There are sooooo many killer beats and raps on Yo! What are people smoking?

Second Time Around

Nah son!
    This thread has some insanity talk (discounting above which is a close call).
    2Pacalypse vs Strictly is a tough call. Faux's analysis of unlistenable non-single cuts is quite accurate.

ATLiens over Southernplaya? Also tough call. I wonder how the skreetz of ATL felt on this one.

Paycheck says the second one is better for House Dancing to, first one is strictly for the breakers.

Personally I think Dove > Bra > The Message is about as unfuckwittable a side as you can get

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    No Time To Burn - Black Heat
    People...Hold On - Eddie Kendricks
    Mindful - Maxayn
    Black & Blue - Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes
    Hot Buttered Soul - Isaac Hayes

...all way superior to the album that came before it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Paycheck says the second one is better for House Dancing to, first one is strictly for the breakers.

No, that's not right; I said the second one is more soulful, but salty old Brits seem to like the first one more.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

No, that's not right; I said the second one is more soulful, but salty old Brits seem to like the first one more.

I gotta take Paycheck's side here; ain't but four songs I like on that first Cymande. "Bra," "The Message," "Zion I," and one other I can't recall here at work. The second album has a bit more bang for that buck and is an all-around better deal.

I gotta take Paycheck's side here; ain't but four songs I like on that first Cymande. "Bra," "The Message," "Zion I," and one other I can't recall here at work. The second album has a bit more bang for that buck and is an all-around better deal.

RIPOFF!!! Terd!! One-tracker! etc. Dove is a moody masterpiece.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The Carter II > everything before it
    nonsense
    never mind that its not a sophomore album

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Nah, Inner City Griots is far superior to To Whom It May Concern.

I've always said that.

I agree with you on this one.

I went through this thread pretty quick so I dont know if it was mentioned and maybe most wouldnt agree, and its probably because I dont actually have the first album but......

Blowout Comb >>>>>> Reachin'

?????? What do you think.....maybe I need to hear Reachin' more, I think I only had parts of it on tape.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    The Carter II > everything before it
    nonsense

never mind that its not a sophomore album
    (lights out > the block is hot, though)

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Spinbad's Rock The Casbah Pt. II >>>>> Pt. I