I got beat jacked on the rich boy album

Comments

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    obviously using the phrase 'snitching' makes it sound worse then it actually is. i think 'justice' would be more accurate.

• if they didn't clear the sample you should definately snitch on em.

DAG, what part of the game is that?

I have to be honest, it crossed my mind to suggest that as well.

same here.

but seriously I think Scratch Mag or some other magazine should do an article about this phenomenon. I know there are numerous instances of producers shit gettin got and they have no credit what so ever.

I mean look at the recent Timbaland beat jacking. I think it would make a dope article and also help fools get up on the game and what they could do.

I mean shit BSides should atleast get 5gs or something out of Richboys label.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This rich boy album is not so good

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    if they didn't clear the sample you should definately snitch on em.

DAG, what part of the game is that?

I have to be honest, it crossed my mind to suggest that as well.

same here.

but seriously I think Scratch Mag or some other magazine should do an article about this phenomenon. I know there are numerous instances of producers shit gettin got and they have no credit what so ever.

I mean look at the recent Timbaland beat jacking. I think it would make a dope article and also help fools get up on the game and what they could do.

I mean shit BSides should atleast get 5gs or something out of Richboys label.

I suspect there may be a number of reasons, not limited to but including issues of personal safety, as well as the laws of slander and/or libel, which would impair a magazine from running such an article. That isn't to say that it wouldn't be worth writing or reading, though. The tough part would be getting the wronged parties to name names and point fingers, if you could get them to go on record in the first place. I mean, by the time Skillz finally named some of the names in "Ghostwriter", was there anyone left who cared? I'm glad Bsides is confident enough about his future enterprises to be able to charge this one to the game. This is just as well, since he hasn't got much of a case for ownership because (I assume) the sample hasn't been cleared.

A lawyer friend of mine told me a story about this bedroom house producer who'd called him up a good few years ago in the hope of getting him to take his case. He'd done a track that had a big sample of a pop tune in it, pressed up a bunch of white labels at his own expense, and headed out to Ibiza at the beginning of the summer, giving copies of it to as many of the key DJs out there as he could. A month or so later, it was beginning to look as if he might have the hit of the season on his hands. Unbeknownst to him, a couple of other guys had heard the track while they were out there. Once they figured out it was just a private-press 12" and there were no big names attached to it, they bit his idea (or so he surmised at any rate). Where the biters had the advantage was that they'd had a couple of big club/pop crossover hits which had landed them a publishing deal, and there were a couple of labels interested in taking the option on any future material. So their version came out on a major, with the sample cleared, and went on to sell the thick end of half-a-million copies. He was convinced that he had a case for copyright infringement, but my boy had to tell him that, because he hadn't cleared the sample (and the biters had), he didn't have a leg to stand on.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    Bsides check your PMs

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I'm not sure if this would apply to B-Sides' case, but would B-Sides be protected by copyright law if he had registered his beat as a Sound Recording (Copyright Form SR) with the Library of Congress, thus proving that he had produced the work before the folks that released it?

(I was able to copyright beats that used other works in the past...and I made sure to list the work I incorporated.).

Granted, he did use large chunks of other people's music, but the underlying manipulation and juxtaposition of sound elements is his original work and he should therefore be compensated IMO.

SG

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Didn't we have a thread about 3H and Aqua a few years ago? I thought I tole' you then not to trust those redheads.

Seriously, sorry to hear about your misfortune, but it's cool that you have a really Phil Jackson/Zen-like attitude about it...Karma is BATCH.

• B- did they clear the sample? Did they even know what the sample was? I say you do some mad ass backward shit and blackmale them on not clearing the sample. contact the publishers of the song and say you know who sampled them and do a 50/50 deal with them. straight butter baby... They may have cleared loran's dance. but the world is a ghetto shit? i doubt these fools would know it... unless you cited it on the og disc or something.

either way it is foul as duck.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i listened to most of the album this morning - at times boring, at other times bad. a lot of weak production and choruses IMO.
    the track with big boi is alright

BSIDES, that SUCKS about you getting jacked. fuckin' goons

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i listened to most of the album this morning - at times boring, at other times bad. a lot of weak production and choruses IMO.

there are some good beats here and there but on the whole this is on point

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    somehow i managed to fuck up my first post. here it is again.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it's a beat you looped off of an mp3 and you don't even know who you sampled, you shouldn't get too asshurt over that.

matter of fact, people who make beats off of mp3s deserve to get their beats jacked.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

there are some good beats here and there but on the whole this is on point

of course, the album does have the d's remix with this line

"got a chest cold i might sneeze on a bitch *achoooo*"

gets me everytime

• somehow i managed to fuck up my first post. here it is again.

sounding very billy cobhamish......

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    matter of fact, people who make beats off of mp3s deserve to get their beats jacked.
    you sound bitter

and people suggesting that bsides snitch on them if they didn't clear the sample? shit gets back that it's him and dude ain't selling beats no more

i really like the production on several tracks and "and i love you" is my shit (up until big boi's verse which is fucking horrible.) i mean, i wasn't expecting much from rich boy as far as rapping goes so yeah. i hope "and i love you" gets released as a single after "boy looka here"

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    B- did they clear the sample? Did they even know what the sample was? I say you do some mad ass backward shit and blackmale them on not clearing the sample. contact the publishers of the song and say you know who sampled them and do a 50/50 deal with them. straight butter baby... They may have cleared loran's dance. but the world is a ghetto shit? i doubt these fools would know it... unless you cited it on the og disc or something.

either way it is foul as duck.

yes, blackmale[/b] them!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Yo ballz, eat a dick.

Fuckin loser.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    yes, blackmale[/b] them!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Somehow, I don't think you're going to be faced with this problem anytime soon, balz.

mp3 digging revealed

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Doing beats with frying pans or MP3 is not the problem, talent is. If you're talented enough to make a decent beat and sell it, then it's on you. Haters will say it's not fair, but your real estate dealer will nod his head.

B-sides, it's just a matter of time before it happens. It happened twice to me already and it wont happen again because i do involve lawyers talks and copyrights talks when i leave music to any dude. I've also refused to leave a CD to a lot of people in this bizness (Jake can confirm you that, let say, some people in G-Unit like D-*****r is not to b trusted, that some people will not do what you think with your CD). There's multiples clowns in this bizness. Sometimes they make you wonder if that's a good thing to work with them or not. Again ask Jake, if my memory dont fail me, he now regret he had to fill the sample clearance form for the bassline in his G-Unit LP track. They could have helped him with that but they didnt... The shadyness of things can be exposed for days.
    Last thing that happened to me, you can still check it out by yourself. Take Neyo. He have a manager named DL, short for Daryl. A BK dude. Neyo, him and a third dude from BK have their own imprint called Compound. To make a long story short, he tells me after a while that he wants to sign me. Im like "ok, but i already have deals signed and such". He dont try to hear me. He sent me a proposal via e-mail and put my name on his own myspace page like i'm a part of his roaster (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=81885513 scroll down in band members). I never signed shit. My lawyer even told me the contract was a rathole. Ok i didnt reply in due time, but 6 months later, i pick a DJ Kurupt mixtape and hear two of my beats on it. No email from him, no calls, nothing...That was of course for one of his artist. I could care less about that. I'm past being happy just to place a beat. I'd like to be a proud of the joint i put out on the market. How can i be a member of Neyo's roaster?? You tell me. Last time i checked my bank account, it was cold like Siberia. No big azz royalties checks, just random classic earnings, more on a Ghostface level...Ghostface, ha...ask K-Def when he got paid for his unique beat on his previous LP. Shady bizness...

He have a manager named DL

put my name on his own myspace page like i'm a part of his roaster

A twisted tale, indeed...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    faux, you wanna b part of his roaster too??? i can push your resum?? if you want.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    How can i be a member of Neyo's roaster??

How can i be a member of Neyo's roaster??

No, you've got it twisted; your mans "DL" is the one with the roaster.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yo Bren, let me just tell you this. I got beat jacked for a joint that me and my man did TWICE, both for huge artists. One time we went in and flipped a pretty recognizable UBB joint in a studio, left copies of the masters up there, and less than a month later our beat (changed up just a little) came out as a remix for one of the biggest artists in the world, who just happened to be on the label that owned the studio we recorded in. About a year later, one of the joints we shopped ended up being jacked for the breakout single of a pretty huge rap group, also on a major.

It put me off of producing for many years. Just made me sick, makes me sick still just thinking about it. But you shouldn't let that dissuade you. Take it from me. Had I not gotten so disgusted by "the game" and stayed on the horse who knows what would be popping right now, but I folded, dude. I wish i didn't and now years later I'm still trying to make up ground. Brendan you're one of the most talented dudes on this board. Just hold your head and you're gonna be okay. I know that sounds corny right now but it's true.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    roaster

Great new synonym for a side arm!

"Dont' fuck with me son, I got the roaster on me!"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    roaster

Great new synonym for a side arm!

"Dont' fuck with me son, I got the roaster on me! I'll put you on my roaster[/b]!"

• DukesDukes 24 Posts
    man, the similarity is undeniable....but as they say, nobody owns samples! if you dont wanna get your beats jacked, i suggest flippin the shit differnt or diggin deeper! rap dudes are assholes! this beat must have been real easy for those fools to jack too! for you my man!