ASIANS HATE BLACKS RELATED

picoandsepulvedapicoandsepulveda 1,026 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/02/27/MNGTCOBI921.DTLA San Francisco weekly newspaper that bills itself as "The Voice of Asian America" is facing harsh criticism from that very community for publishing a column Friday titled "Why I Hate Blacks."In the column, AsianWeek regular contributor Kenneth Eng listed "reasons" to discriminate against African Americans. The piece has been pulled from the newspaper's Web site, but the print edition of the free paper, owned by the politically influential Fang family, was still available in news racks Monday.Eng called himself an "Asian supremacist" in January in another installment of the column, which runs under the label "God of the Universe."Prominent Asian Americans immediately condemned Eng's current column."The hate is based on ignorance and is very similar to the rationales that the KKK uses against African Americans," said Henry Der, director for 22 years of Chinese for Affirmative Action and the former state administrator for Emeryville's schools."What gives me the greatest concern was AsianWeek's judgment in printing such a piece out of context," Der said. "It is so trite and hateful, it doesn't speak well for the publication."San Francisco NAACP President Amos Brown, who heard about the column from a Chronicle reporter, was speechless at first."I can't believe this," Brown then said. "I am surprised the Fangs, who have supposedly been involved in interracial-understanding issues, would publish something like this. I am flabbergasted. We can't afford for these kind of racist flames to be fueled in that kind of setting."AsianWeek issued a statement regretting "any offense caused by the one opinion piece," and Editor in Chief Samson Wong declined further comment.Editor at large Ted Fang did not return phone calls seeking comment. Members of his family, who are Chinese American, have owned a number of local publications, including AsianWeek and the Independent. They bought the Examiner in 2000 and sold it in 2004.Ted Fang's brother James, who is president of the paper, has spent more than a decade on the BART Board of Directors and previously worked as international trade director for former San Francisco Mayor Frank Jordan.Eng's "reasons" for hating black people include:-- "Blacks hate us. Every Asian who has ever come across them knows that they take almost every opportunity to hurl racist remarks at us."-- "Contrary to media depictions, I would argue that blacks are weak-willed. They are the only race that has been enslaved for 300 years."-- "Blacks are easy to coerce. This is proven by the fact that so many of them, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, tend to be Christians."Eng, who is in his early 20s, according to material on the Internet promoting his science fiction writing, started at AsianWeek in November after moving from the East Coast. In 2004, for an online magazine called Down in the Dirt, he wrote about experiencing racism as an Asian American student at New York University after he "expressed my negative views on America, religion and African Americans."Other AsianWeek columns of Eng's -- including "Proof That Whites Inherently Hate Us" and "Why I Hate Asians" -- have resulted in criticism. In the first, he complained about the scarcity of Asian heroes in the media. In the second, he described Asian Americans as apathetic, brown-nosing and lacking in cultural pride.Eng could not be reached for comment Monday.Leaders of the Asian Law Caucus, Asian American Justice Center, Chinese for Affirmative Action and other groups and individuals began circulating a petition Friday calling for the paper to apologize, terminate its relationship with Eng, print an editorial refuting the column and review its editorial policy. The leaders' statement, issued in Washington, D.C., called the piece "irresponsible journalism, blatantly racist, replete with stereotypes and deeply hurtful to African Americans."In its statement, AsianWeek, which has a circulation of 48,505, said it "sincerely regrets any offense caused by the one opinion piece which reflected that author's personal views. We apologize for any harm or hurt this has caused the African American community. AsianWeek has great respect for all that the African American community has done for Asian Pacific Americans."David Lee of the Chinese American Voters Education Committee said Eng's statement echoes the feelings of some Asian Americans. He said that rather than condemning the paper, black and Asian people should participate in a town hall-style meeting to address tension he said exists between the two communities."There is a segment that feels the way Eng does, but the sentiment is underground and not brought to the surface," Lee said. "If you don't have a discussion, then I think it allows these types of views to fester and turn into something much more negative. Rather than refute and bury this, we should be calling for a community dialogue to address this."The paper said it will announce in this Friday's edition plans to co-sponsor a town hall-style meeting with the Willie L. Brown Jr. Institute on Politics & Public Service."What this controversy points out is the lack of community leadership in addressing the critical and difficult issues of race relations, particularly between Asian Pacific Americans and African Americans," the paper's statement said.San Francisco writer Claire Light, one of several bloggers who wrote about the column over the weekend, said the newspaper in general -- and especially Eng's column -- makes her embarrassed to be Asian. She said that "most Asian Americans have never even heard of AsianWeek, much less agree with its editorial decision making."Der said the column was offensive not only to African Americans but to everyone -- and especially because it was published during Black History Month."It is pretty despicable that the piece would do that at this time," he said. "If we are to talk about race and issues, then there should be a thoughtful presentation of the diverse views on this topic. If they had done that, however offensive, we would at least understand it in the context in the larger community."Ling-chi Wang, retired chairman of the ethnic studies department at UC Berkeley, said there is an urgent need for Asian Americans to be aware of the history of this country and know that Asian American gains have come largely as a result of the efforts of black people."Personal experiences cannot be generalized," Wang said. "It is really sad to see the racism sentiment being expressed so publicly. I can't believe Ted Fang would allow such a column to go to print. It is really offensive and damaging and is not one that contributes to a better understanding of diversity."I was very disappointed to see it published, and I'm glad there are people protesting."E-mail Leslie Fulbright at [email]lfulbright@sfchronicle.com.[/email]

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This dude's racial analyses are about as shallow as a kiddie pool.
    What a douchebag.

• Here's the column in question:

Jaw-dropping, no? Love the column title: GOD OF THE UNIVERSE.

And here's the story from sfgate.com: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/27/MNGTCOBI921.DTL.

Comparing the Russo-Japanese War to chattel slavery is so idiotic, I'm stunned.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    And this on the heels of a Korean diss to Jewish people!? What the heck? I need some dap, Asian people! This is the thanks we get for partronizing your restaurants?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    So wait...who do Hispanics get to hate? (I mean besides whitey--that's a given.)

• I think O used to write for AsianWeek awhile back. what the hell happened there?

terrible look

• :melt: I think O used to write for AsianWeek awhile back. what the hell happened there?

terrible look

yeah I am waiting for the one called Ol*ver to weigh in on this one....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Funny enough, this pretty sort of supports findings in the spatial assimilation literature. Analyses show that Whites, Hispanics, Asians, and even higher class Blacks, are less likely to move into predominately-Black areas (Hwang & Murdock, 1998, Social Forces, Volume 77, Issue 2, pages 541-566). Massey and Denton (1989, Demography, Volume 26, Number 3, pages 373-391) have gone as far to say the Blacks are "hypersegregated," meaning that they are relegated primarily to highly predominately-Black areas, even controlling for class. So, the statements communicated by the author of that article does not surprise me in the least. Blacks are viewed very negatively by other racial groups, to the point of physical and residential avoidance.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    :melt: I think O used to write for AsianWeek awhile back. what the hell happened there?

terrible look

yeah I am waiting for the one called Ol*ver to weigh in on this one....

It's good to be wanted but I'm busy preparing lecture notes on why advertising is killing the notion of "childhood".

But yeah, Hogginthefizog sent this to me earlier and I've passed it onto a few folks this morning just so we could all share in a jaw-dropping moment of disbelief.

I'm not sure what there is to "weigh in on?" Eng needs a Rainbox Coalition beatdown of "God of the Universe" epic proportions. This arguments are so thin they can't really be called "logical" and the column is so hateful in its very essence, it makes my blood boil.

A few quick thoughts:

1) I don't know what the fuck Asian Week's editor was thinking. This goes way past "free speech" - rants like this belong in White Supremacist literature but not in any publication of even minimal repute. It is MINDBOGGLING how any rational editor could have ran this piece though, given that it was the third in a line of "why I hate [insert group here]" pieces, maybe they didn't think it'd be that big of a deal.

WRONG.

I'd be surprised if the editor did NOT get himself fired over this and quite deservedly.

2) I used to be an Asian Week columnist back in 1994 - they actually gave me my first freelancing gig anywhere. The newspaper has often times - and unfairly in my opinion - been derided simply because their owners, the Fangs, are this old school, S.F. power-broker family that tends to play their politics opportunistically depending on the ways the winds of power shift. However, the newspaper itself is decidedly LEFT LEANING and has been, in my opinion, a very good advocate of Asian American social issues and news over the years.

That said, this editorial could singlehandedly destroy that reputation which is unfortunate but depending on how many people signed off on this editorial to run, they have no one else to blame but themselves.

3) In other cases, one could say that an editorial like this "creates an opportunity for dialog" but I'm just not sure what that dialog could be besides, "Eng is a douche bag." It's not exactly news that many Asians and Blacks don't get along but if your argument is, "Blacks were wussies who didn't oppose slavery while the Japanese beat Russia, ergo, we're superior," there's no "rational" conversation to be had. My two year old displays better logic than that. I mean, this guy makes Michael Richards look like Al Sharpton.

• love is the message.... if lost or confused, all is explained here :

http://www.mddaudio.com/chinn.mp3

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    And this on the heels of a Korean diss to Jewish people!? What the heck? I need some dap, Asian people! This is the thanks we get for partronizing your restaurants?

in all fairness our people only tend to go for the Chinese and Japanese restaurants.

BTW the Fang Family is opening for Rapid Ric next week at the Beauty Bar in Austin

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

BTW the Fang Family is opening for Rapid Ric next week at the Beauty Bar in Austin

haha...it wasn't until i read this post that i realized you changed your name.

• But what happens to the other conjoined twin when an angry mob kills Eng??

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

in all fairness our people only tend to go for the Chinese and Japanese restaurants.

In my "LJE" (Local Jewish Experience), we enjoy Pho & Korean BBQ.

• [quote It's not exactly news that many Asians and Blacks don't get along
    You should see how well asians and blacks get along in prison. I guess it's cause they have to form alliance since the whites are aligned with the mexicans...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I'd hate to read a fortune cookie written by this guy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

In my "LJE" (Local Jewish Experience), we enjoy Pho & Korean BBQ.

you Canadian Jews have been known to throw the curve off when it comes to Jewish stereotypical eateries.

It still takes you over 2 hours to decide where to go, right?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    3) In other cases, one could say that an editorial like this "creates an opportunity for dialog" but I'm just not sure what that dialog could be besides, "Eng is a douche bag." It's not exactly news that many Asians and Blacks don't get along but if your argument is, "Blacks were wussies who didn't oppose slavery while the Japanese beat Russia, ergo, we're superior," there's no "rational" conversation to be had. My two year old displays better logic than that. I mean, this guy makes Michael Richards look like Al Sharpton.

Man, I really fucking hate the "just trying to start a dialog" defense of reprehensible bullshit. Somebody says something disgusting, they get smacked, they duck and doge and try to claim victim status: "Hey, all I'm doing is tryin' to start a dialog here." It's a complete crock.

You're right: The only "dialog" this piece invites is a discussion of just how massive a douchebag Eng is.

• You're right: The only "dialog" this piece invites is a discussion of just how massivae a douchebag Eng is.

"I think he's, like, a really big douchebag. I'm interested to know what you think."

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Man, I really fucking hate the "just trying to start a dialog" defense of reprehensible bullshit. Somebody says something disgusting, they get smacked, they duck and doge and try to claim victim status: "Hey, all I'm doing is tryin' to start a dialog here." It's a complete crock.

Right, it depends on the fallacy that dialog is an inherently valuable thing when, in fact, it has value only when there is an element of nuance to it.

"F**k Black people!"/"No, f**k you!" while technically qualifying as a "dialog," really has no value.

This reminds me of an old episode of L.A. Law (yeah, I'm taking it back thurr) where Stewart Markowitz's rich, WASP mother in law was clearly dropping anti-Semitic remarks on him during a dinner party.

He asks her, "has a Jew every done anything to offend you?

Mother in law: "No."

Markowitz then goes over to the china cabinet and pulls it down, crashing onto the floor.

SM: "Well, now one has."

In Eng's case, since he hates Whites, Asians AND Blacks (I assume next week's column was going to be, "why I hate Latinos"), there needs to be some kind of multi-culti beatdown served as a way to justify his hatred. It'd be a shame if such illogical prejudice didn't at least have some Real World Moves??? rationale behind it.

In Eng's case, since he hates Whites, Asians AND Blacks (I assume next week's column was going to be, "why I hate Latinos"), there needs to be some kind of multi-culti beatdown served as a way to justify his hatred. It'd be a shame if such illogical prejudice didn't at least have some Real World Moves??? rationale behind it.

Asian Fatwa Revealed!

Jokes and jokes and jokes

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This reminds me of an old episode of L.A. Law (yeah, I'm taking it back thurr) where Stewart Markowitz's rich, WASP mother in law was clearly dropping anti-Semitic remarks on him during a dinner party.

He asks her, "has a Jew every done anything to offend you?

Mother in law: "No."

Markowitz then goes over to the china cabinet and pulls it down, crashing onto the floor.

SM: "Well, now one has."

That's VERY funny.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    that article is the definition of

"Are you Brack? Then fuck you!"

• GodDAMN, this kid doesn't know when to stop.

An excerpt:

"Furthermore, most religious people I've met tend to be incredibly stupid/poor. They are usually black/hispanic immigrants who do not have the brains or the balls to understand science and thus resort to reading retarded stories about saviors and saints. (Oh, by the way, for those of you who want to scream at how "racist" I am for mentioning negroes and hispanics in such a way, go to someone who gives a sh*t)."

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

"Are you Brack? Then fuck you!"

Not to thread jack, but me & a buddy were trying to come up with other novelty ethnic foods, along the lines of fortune cookies. We thought there could be some money to be made.

Don't ask about the fortune souvlaki. Big mistake.

GodDAMN, this kid doesn't know when to stop.

An excerpt:

"Furthermore, most religious people I've met tend to be incredibly stupid/poor. They are usually black/hispanic immigrants who do not have the brains or the balls to understand science and thus resort to reading retarded stories about saviors and saints. (Oh, by the way, for those of you who want to scream at how "racist" I am for mentioning negroes and hispanics in such a way, go to someone who gives a sh*t)."

"Kenneth C. Eng is the youngest published science fiction novelist in America. He has written the novels Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate, The 0th Dimension and Reincarnation. His work has been published in Philosophy Today, Bewildering Stories Science Fiction Magazine, Sequart.com, Newsday and a few minor magazines. Formerly, he worked at Marvel Comics, Paramount Pictures and Crossroads Films. Graduate of NYU Tisch School of the Arts. Presently 22 years of age.

Fought through hell to get where he was."

Dude, this kid is OFF THE CHAIN:
    http://www.forewordmagazine.com/ftw/ftwarchives.aspx?id=20050601.htm (scroll down)

What book are you reading, and where is your favorite place to read?
    I am reading my own books as I endlessly scribe them. I do this 24/7 no matter where I am, for I believe that most writing is done in the head. The book I am currently reading/writing is about Daemonhand Mediaeval, the skeleton warrior who aforesaid his humanity to destroy evil Black Technoknight Uther Penn Sapien and his evil Round Table. In doing so, he becomes an immortal undead warrior 100 billion years into a future when the Middle Ages are still in existence. This story is based on the philosophy that the purpose of life is not the end, but the journey itself, and that even though Death is the ultimate state of existence, it is still possible to contradict it. It???s intertwined with Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate.

f you were a member of a tribe, what would be your special role in it, and why?
    I would be the leader, because I follow no one. In high school and NYU, I was the only one who had the valor to voice my controversial opinions. Even after receiving innumerable death threats, physical attacks, and potential expulsion from college, I still held my ground and continued to express my views publicly. In the end, my unwillingness to conform to the majority and my constant struggle for originality resulted in the publication of two of my books. I promised myself as a child that I would be an author before I reached age twenty-two, and so I have. Nothing has stopped me from accomplishing my missions. Nothing ever will.

What would you save from your home if it were burning?
    My animal plushies, which are very important to the family. Especially Smoochy, our semi-dog semi-bunny doll, and Froggy, the big green frog. Definitely, I would save Dennagon, my dragon plushie.

And just for kicks (this is from the Amazon blog Hoggy found):

"Let's look at the muslim religion. They believe that music, dance, naked women and other such things are "indecent". They think that some creature called "allah" will bring them peace, yadda, yadda, yadda. They think that if they bow every day, they will somehow be transported to a place called "heaven", where everyone looks conspicuously human. I don't know about you, but I masturbate all the time. It's not going to affect me in any way, aside from making me need to take baths more often. And listening to O Fortuna will not make my head explode. Nor will spitting at every church I see make my intestines burst out of my abdomen. "