your thoughts on christina doing it's a mans world

shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
mine = mija plaese

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Man if she would've revealed she was a man after that performance. Who wouldn't blog about that shit.

- spidey

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't think it was that bad...just sayin' It could of been worse.

• Your Missing the marketing potential.

• better seen than heard, thats all i got to say. the color white looks good on her, and she wasnt as skanky-lookin as usual.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I don't think it was that bad...just sayin' It could of been worse.

Yeah, that's how I feel.

Anyone else have a hard time figuring out if that misplaced scream/yelp at one point was in lieu of actually hitting a high note (this was when she went to the floor with it)?

Also, motherfucking Eagles get a 3-4 song tribute and James gets about 3 minutes?[/b]

GTFOOHWTBS
    GTFOOHWTBS
    GTFOOHWTBS
    GTFOOHWTBS
    GTFOOHWTBS

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Also, motherfucking Eagles get a 3-4 song tribute and James gets about 3 minutes?[/b]

True but who wants to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers fronted by Chris Brown & Beyonce doin' Payback.

Agullera was above average. It sounded/looked better after that terrible Chris Brown circus act. Wow somebody is actually tryin to sing.

• Also, motherfucking Eagles get a 3-4 song tribute and James gets about 3 minutes?[/b]

True but who wants to see Red Hot Chilli Peppers fronted by Chris Brown & Beyonce doin' Payback.

Agullera was above average. It sounded/looked better after that terrible Chris Brown circus act. Wow somebody is actually tryin to sing.

well, it aint about music, it is about record sales...I dont watch the bullshit, because it is all about big-selling crap music. The Eagles have the biggest selling LP of all time and James doesnt even have a record in the top one hundred best selling LPs of all time...its all about "entertaining" Mr and Mrs Joe Schmo and their disposable $20 that they can spend on another "best selling" artist.

• I thought it was decent. She did her thing.

I don't know what you guys expect.

well, it aint about music, it is about record sales...I dont watch the bullshit, because it is all about big-selling crap music. The Eagles have the biggest selling LP of all time and James doesnt even have a record in the top one hundred best selling LPs of all time...its all about "entertaining" Mr and Mrs Joe Schmo and their disposable $20 that they can spend on another "best selling" artist.

Of course. I can just imagine someone tryin to assemble various artists to execute a JB medley.....sloppy mess. Kinda like the Sly Stone debacle. Looks good on paper but should be left alone.

• I thought it was decent. She did her thing.

sayin'. Xtina can SING. Give her another 10 years and she will be tearing roofs off. And as far as the screams when she was kneeling, I just felt she was channeling James.

I thought it was decent. She did her thing.

sayin'. Xtina can SING. Give her another 10 years and she will be tearing roofs off. And as far as the screams when she was kneeling, I just felt she was channeling James.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I thought she did a good job. Tho, I didn't need for her to try to pull out a james scream.

I did like how they had Danny come out later on with the cape. That was a good way to say goodbye.

• Big Maybelle "It's a Mans World" the definitive female version

Christina can "sing", yeah, big deal but it is disposable pop music, no one is gonna give a shit about her in 10 years, she will have a song or two on "Now thats what I call music volume 78"...big deal.

• Big Maybelle "It's a Mans World" the definitive female version

Christina can "sing", yeah, big deal but it is disposable pop music, no one is gonna give a shit about her in 10 years, she will have a song or two on "Now thats what I call music volume 78"...big deal.

That may be your outlook and the way you wish it would go down, but Christina's already been around almost 10 years and she's not going anywhere. In 10 years more you may well choose to ignore her but many, many people will still give a shit.

Big Maybelle is not around to sing on the grammys, so again. What do you expect?

Dudes often sound like they would prefer it if music ended with their record collections.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

You're wrong on all counts. Christina Aguilera has one of the few dominating voices on the disposable pop market today, which makes her much more likely to continue to release music that will a)sell and b) occasionally be halfway decent (I really like "Beautiful" and all you haters "can't bring me down") for a decade to come.

And her performance of Man's World was better than I expected it to be. She just sang the song all the way, which was nice. It wasn't the most fitting or appropriate tribute to James Brown, but the Grammys as a whole were woefully underwhelming with their tributes. Three songs for the Eagles, one song each for James Brown and that country dude (Bob Wills?), and NO SONGS for Booker T and the MGs (deserved a song) and the Grateful Dead (I don't really like them, but they probably deserved a song).

Besides the overdone Eagles tribute, all the other tributes were painfully underdeveloped and lacking in context. Christina just comes out and sings, without much of an introduction (or maybe I had the intro on mute), Man's World in front of a large silhouette of Brown. Ok, we get the picture that this is a tribute, but only by inference. An introduction and a brief spoken tribute, or maybe a collage of soundclips would have been nice.

And then the later Brown tribute, which concluded the croak reel, where they played some footage of him doing Night Train from about 65 (?) and then had some guy come out and dance along with him live on stage, and then had that other guy come out and drape his cape over the microphone, what was going on? Who were those guys? Sorry if I'm ignorant and don't know and all you know it alls feel like I should know, but if I'm ignorant and don't know, neither does 80-90 percent of the audience.

Two more things about the Grammys and then I'll stop.

1. Whoever is in charge of video production needs to step their game up. Camera angles where half the screen is occupied by the backs of heads in the audience suck. Ditto for angles where you take such a wide angle at the stage that the viewing audience has no idea what is actually happening on the stage. (this was particularly bad with the performance of "Crazy" - some closeups on the orchestra or a pan on the choir would have been nice). Could they not afford other cameras? Did the venue make other angles impossible?

2. Musicians are really bad at giving acceptance speeches. Mary J. Blige's second speech was terrible. "you don't know yourself until you have valleys, then you know yourself, and then you have peaks, then you know yourself, and then you're here, and then you know yourself." There will be peaks in the valley for you someday, Mary J. And the Dixie Chicks - you won four awards at least in part because you said you were embarrassed about being from the same state as the president. Can you please make a smarter remark than riffing on the Simpsons? In four chances? I guess not. Red Hot Chili Peppers gave the best acceptance speech of the night. And it was also one of the shortest.

Bye,
    JRoot

PS Justin Timberlake looked ridiculous through the handheld webcam. All nose and eyebrows for days. Bad idea, but really funny.

Mary J. Blige's second speech was terrible. "you don't know yourself until you have valleys, then you know yourself, and then you have peaks, then you know yourself, and then you're here, and then you know yourself." There will be peaks in the valley for you someday, Mary J.

Yeah, she talks too much. She tends to have to explain erry song and why it was made and where she was in life while making it. Shut the fuck up and sing the idea.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haha i heard that eminem song recently where he's all "christina aguilera better switch me chairs," dissing pop stars or whatever. I guess we see who won that battle.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Big Maybelle "It's a Mans World" the definitive female version

That may be your outlook and the way you wish it would go down, but Christina's already been around almost 10 years and she's not going anywhere. In 10 years more you may well choose to ignore her but many, many people will still give a shit.

Big Maybelle is not around to sing on the grammys, so again. What do you expect?

Dudes often sound like they would prefer it if music ended with their record collections.

Nobody wants to give these kids any credit, even when they're good. And by modern pop standards, she's about as good as it gets. I'm not saying she needs to be showered with praise, but her vocal chops should be apparent to anyone.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Girl has a voice, but I doubt she'll ever end up working with a producer or band that brings out more than just a pop sensability. Having her sing Man's World is questionable, but to perform on the Grammy's you have to be a current household name, and I don't know who else fits that role.

And don't get me started on that sappy Eagles BS. It is beyond me why they are so damn successful, even in the ignorant pop-rock world.

And don't get me started on that sappy Eagles BS. It is beyond me why they are so damn successful, even in the ignorant pop-rock world.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I thought that performance was beyond horrid.

she has to be one of the worst singers out there - she literally performs as though 'songs' are just strings of syllables to base her wailing melismas on - as if the actual words in the lyrics are completely irrelevant.

"you did your thing dog"

---

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

post this track or your soft

the only female cover I have of this track is done by Renee Geyer and I keep it more for the novelty than the quality

and when it comes to award show tribute cover can anyone here name one from recent years thats really been amazing?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Forgot who made this on here, but I kept it for a Xtina reference.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Hey, everyone can prefer things a certain way right?

Big question: Which song would you guys prefer 10 years from now?
    1) "Genie in a Bottle"
    2) That Shakira song, forever, were meant to be together(?)
    3) Britney Spears "Baby One more time"

• when it comes to award show tribute cover can anyone here name one from recent years thats really been amazing?

Bruce Springsteen and those three other guys doing "London Calling."

• Mary J. Blige's second speech was terrible. "you don't know yourself until you have valleys, then you know yourself, and then you have peaks, then you know yourself, and then you're here, and then you know yourself." There will be peaks in the valley for you someday, Mary J.

Yeah, she talks too much. She tends to have to explain erry song and why it was made and where she was in life while making it. Shut the fuck up and sing the idea.

The way Terrence Howard kissed her ass in that intro was beyond ridiculous. What did he say? Something like "ladies and gentlemen, we are in The Presence Of Greatness." Yeesh.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Hey, everyone can prefer things a certain way right?

Big question: Which song would you guys prefer 10 years from now?
    1) "Genie in a Bottle"
    2) That Shakira song, forever, were meant to be together(?)
    3) Britney Spears "Baby One more time"

3), because I think it's the better song, although I like Genie In a Bottle too. As an artist/performer, Shakira's more interesting than either Christina or Britney, but her songs don't really do much for me.

• I couldn't see her through all that horrible orange fake tan...I have never liked her a singer, just another Disney kid with a lucky break.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I can't name too many current Female vocalist better than Christina...

She damn sure was the best singer last night ...male or female

Mary continues to sound like shit live yet people seem to give her a pass ...

i know ......i sound white

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I need a Age Check on that chick Justin pulled on stage ...

i reserve my perv