Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Even The BUMS get a mention in the comments section

That's a good look. Calling Joe Quixx "DJ Quixx"...not as good a look.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    The writer mentions Madlib four times as loosely related tangents and sidenotes. That's sayin something about Nathan Rabin.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    His other rap articles are on El-P, Slug and Pigeon John.

• Well that's why I wrote this

"it's not THAT bad". Trust me, I've seen worse.

• Just Trying to Live is very slept on. The rest of that stuff, no comment...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Well that's why I wrote this

Yes it is.

TERDS

Let us not discuss this further.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    How are any of those records slept on? None of them blew up huge, but they're all pretty much well known. Just Def & The X Town Posse are slept on, not artists with critical acclaim, solid reps, or who run record labels.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    People still read The Onion?

• Although The Onion is past its prime, it still has good stuff.

The AV Club, on the other hand, is a joke.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Although The Onion is past its prime, it still has good stuff.

The AV Club, on the other hand, is a joke.

I imagine people who think Belle and Sebastian are an important band write for The Onion AV.

• I would like to see Nathan Rabin review one of their albums before I die.

Yes it is.

TERDS

You consider Devin the Dude's album a terd?

where's deej in all of this BTW?

Again I really thought I would be some random space molecule rap. Seeing Nice & Smooth, Count Bass D, and The Alkaholiks get a mention is a pleasant suprise...especially since it was in a unlikely place.

They're not saying it's a definitive list either, just 10 joints that should checked out by more people. But that "hip-hop for respect" schitt at the end kind of ruined it for me.

Well that's why I wrote this

Yes it is.

TERDS

Again I really thought I would be some random space molecule rap. Seeing Nice & Smooth, Count Bass D, and The Alkaholiks get a mention is a pleasant suprise...especially since it was in a unlikely place.

They're not saying it's a definitive list either, just 10 joints that should checked out by more people. But that "hip-hop for respect" schitt at the end kind of ruined it for me.

Devin album is great.

Nice & Smooth 3rd album might have some joints--I don't think I've ever heard it.

Rest are TERDS.

And let's be honest: he's not saying "here's some rap records you might have missed"--he's annointing them "Unjustly Overlooked Hip-Hop Classics" ------HIS OWN ILL-CONSIDERED WORDS

Plus he insists on applying the phrase "alternative rap" or "alt rap" to every single one of them, which tells us three things:

1. His understanding of popular music has not advanced since around 1991, when it might--might--have been defensible to use that phrase;

2. He is the sort of idiot that I, frankly, lack the vocabulary to do justice to; and

3. He has no respect whatsoever for REAL SCHITT LEGENDS Nice & Smooth if he would call them that.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Thank you, faux

I glanced at that list, saw the phrase 'alt-rap', and promptly closed the window

Yes it is.

TERDS

Devin album is great.

Nice & Smooth 3rd album might have some joints--I don't think I've ever heard it.

Rest are TERDS.

And let's be honest: he's not saying "here's some rap records you might have missed"--he's annointing them "Unjustly Overlooked Hip-Hop Classics" ------HIS OWN ILL-CONSIDERED WORDS

I really don't think anyone who's really into hip-hop would take them as "unjustly overlooked classics" but like me, a couple of slept on joints that you might want to check. I think that's where the whole disagreement comes from....and you being a punk-ass mark.

INI's album a terd?

You're playing yourself on that one....I think that's some of Pete's best work.

INI's album a terd?

TERD

I think even Phill admitted that at one point.

Next up: Young Phonics explains the magic of Deda tha Baby Pa's unreleased album to us.

• INI's album a terd?

TERD

I think even Phill admitted that at one point.

Next up: Young Phonics explains the magic of Deda tha Baby Pa's unreleased album to us.

then the both of you have finally something in common, y'all both trippin'

but yo, even I didn't check for the deda baby pa joint...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    none of those albums are remotely classics (maybe devin) and mufuckaz will label shit "overlooked" if other people aren't feeling it as much as they are. i mean, we all have some slept-on/overlooked list but most of that shit is on some private mind garden shit. a list like this really depends on who you are recommending shit to but its the onion so go figure

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The list is decent it's great to see "Dwight Spitz" on it though.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Marijuana has always been a recurrent theme in Aceyalone's work, but Magnificent City reveals no shortage of ambition, sonically or lyrically. It's the product of two remarkable artists working in perfect unison, powered by an effortless chemistry that recalls similarly blessed collaborations between Madlib and MF Doom, or MF Doom and Danger Mouse.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    No rap album of the past few years has radiated as much joy as Blackalicious' Blazing Arrow.

Revelatory albums like this make rap, an often stale and convention-bound genre, suddenly seem rife with boundless, untapped possibilities. By boldly expanding the parameters of mainstream hip-hop, Fiasco's threatening to make rap a welcoming place for geeks and iconoclasts as well as pimps and thugs.

This guy is definitely bizzaro world tom breihan.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts

Marijuana has always been a recurrent theme in Aceyalone's work, but Magnificent City reveals no shortage of ambition, sonically or lyrically. It's the product of two remarkable artists working in perfect unison, powered by an effortless chemistry that recalls similarly blessed collaborations between Madlib and MF Doom, or MF Doom and Danger Mouse.

Ew.

• Marijuana has always been a recurrent theme in Aceyalone's work, but Magnificent City reveals no shortage of ambition, sonically or lyrically. It's the product of two remarkable artists working in perfect unison, powered by an effortless chemistry that recalls similarly blessed collaborations between Madlib and MF Doom, or MF Doom and Danger Mouse.

corny white dudes hating on other corny white dudes......

• Decent list, but there's probably about 40 other albums that can easily fit that list. Only thing I disagree on is Jewel of the Nile. I was a fan of Nice & Smooth, so I bought it when it came out and it was garbage to me except for a few joints.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    One More
    by faux_rillz

Great list! But you seem to have forgotten Y'all So Stupid's lost classic "Van Full of Pakistans."

7:10 AM Tues January 9, 3907

Ha ha

Has anyone listened to this album recently? Surprised there aren't more people jocking for it on this board.

I don't understand why he chose to use the word classic in the title, for the most part these albums blatantly aren't.

Btw

bohemian vibe and masterful combination of rugged boom-bap and silky lushness

One More
    by faux_rillz

Great list! But you seem to have forgotten Y'all So Stupid's lost classic "Van Full of Pakistans."

7:10 AM Tues January 9, 3907

I tip my hat to whoever was responsible for this.

Why are you mad at that?

Do you, as a cool minority dude, really want to shoulder full responsibility for keeping corny white dudes in check? It would be a fulltime job.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA....

I'm trying to figure out if thats a picture of noz or the onion guy....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Furthering my current work of bridging the worlds of faux rillz and young phonics i think 1) Nathan Rabin is a cornball rap writer who covers a bland, extremely limited section of rap music and hates No Limit for some reason (his review of Tru's greatest hits = ugh) but 2) this list could have been so much worse its not even funny. I will rep for about half of it, and you have to remember what his audience is in the onion - for them, ghostface, the clipse and deltron = GOATS so getting them up on Charizma or Alkoholics or whatever is not a bad look. As much as I like Pete Rock though that InI album is boring as shit. The only ones I haven't heard are 'hip-hop for respect' and the Lifesavas and I don't really think I need to hear them. Devin's debut is more overlooked than Just Tryin to Live, but they are probably equally overlooked in Onion AV club-circles. Also, the only one who hasn't overlooked that Count Bass D album is his mother so I'm glad to see someone give a shit. (that tribute song to MF Grimm is so great)

Edan should not be on that list. He might as well say MF Doom.

• Devin's debut is more overlooked than Just Tryin to Live

That's because it's not as good.