The Onion Picks 10 Slept-On Hip-Hop albums

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Furthering my current work of bridging the worlds of faux rillz and young phonics i think 1) Nathan Rabin is a cornball rap writer who covers a bland, extremely limited section of rap music and hates No Limit for some reason (his review of Tru's greatest hits = ugh) but 2) this list could have been so much worse its not even funny. I will rep for about half of it, and you have to remember what his audience is in the onion - for them, ghostface, the clipse and deltron = GOATS so getting them up on Charizma or Alkoholics or whatever is not a bad look. As much as I like Pete Rock though that InI album is boring as shit. The only ones I haven't heard are 'hip-hop for respect' and the Lifesavas and I don't really think I need to hear them. Devin's debut is more overlooked than Just Tryin to Live, but they are probably equally overlooked in Onion AV club-circles. Also, the only one who hasn't overlooked that Count Bass D album is his mother so I'm glad to see someone give a shit.

Edan should not be on that list. He might as well say MF Doom.

Report to the Father MC thread.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    One More
    by faux_rillz

Great list! But you seem to have forgotten Y'all So Stupid's lost classic "Van Full of Pakistans."

7:10 AM Tues January 9, 3907

I tip my hat to whoever was responsible for this.
    hahahaa.
    it wasnt me but funnee

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Devin's debut is more overlooked than Just Tryin to Live

That's because it's not as good.
    yeah i agree but they're both better than 2 tha xtreme

InI = Pete Rock's Group Home?

^^^^^^^^^^DEEJ LOGIC

Who even said anything about To tha Extreme?

Now you just need to close the circle with the magic phrase: "8.5!"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^DEEJ LOGIC

Who even said anything about To tha Extreme?

Now you just need to close the circle with the magic phrase: "8.5!"

rap nerds like just tryin to live more
    therefore i think his debut is more overlooked
    doesnt mean that i think his debut is better
    but i fear this is turning into an Archaic argument so i back out slowly

• rap nerds like just tryin to live more

wtf?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

rap nerds like just tryin to live more

wtf?
    i dont know its just an anecdotal thing! I'm really not that committed to this argument so if you wish to score the point take it. In my experience a lot of people like 'just tryin to live' but i think some of devin's best songs are on his first album.

rap nerds was not meant to be pejorative

• So I'm not supposed to like "To the Extreme"?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    no its pretty good, i just dont like it as much as the other two

I forgot to mention I think Rabin's right about that J-Zone album too

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    corny white dudes hating on other corny white dudes......

you sound white

Vaguely related foolishness: Village Voice on Mos Def

It is December 7, 2006. Brooklyn-based rapper and Emmy-nominated actor Mos Def is up for a Grammy in the Best Rap Solo Performance category for "Undeniable," a track from his not-yet-released third LP, True Magic. It's the 33-year-old's second Grammy nod, though you'd think there'd be more[/b], seeing as the Black Power rhymes over blaxploitation palettes on his 1999 solo debut, Black on Both Sides, preceded by his guest appearances with Native Tongues and his tenure in pivotal rap unit Black Star (along with Talib Kweli) cemented him years ago as a monumental figure in hip-hop history[/b], Black.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts
    WORD

Might be my favorite album of the past 7 years.

• LuusoLuuso 17 Posts
    Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1
    IMO 1 of top 20 rap LP's all time.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    All this talk about top 10s and rankings, it's completely irrelevant. Can't we just sit back and cherish each of these human creations with the tenderness of a mother looking over her newborn baby?

This post represents exactly what's wrong with the internet.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

lol

And don't forget I'm the dude that was overly enthusiastic about Jurassic 5 in my early years on the Strut. Also, that Rjd2 show was one of the most memorable live performances I've seen (this still holds true, cuz he really was dope).

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I just gotta say that the Lifesavas album is damned good.

• Glad to see Charizma & PBW no.1

When Top 10 Lists Clash[/b]

Tonight at 10 Eastern / 9 Central

"But I said 'IMO'[/b]!?!?"

To Franklin Rauxevillz : I unhumbly submit that the internet is a science,
    while your "streets" are merely a passing sham resembling religion.

And I thought you were a man of reason.

Dog, if you go to Stonesthrow.com's messageboard this is the norm and perhaps even tame.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

oh cmon at least its a good album
    fishscale acclaim is whats wrong w/ the internet

Dog, if you go to Stonesthrow.com's messageboard this is the norm and perhaps even tame.

Stonesthrow's message boards = exactly what's wrong with the internet

PBW seems like somebody that would be pretty cool on a personal level. I wonder if, in his private moments, he's at all embarassed over the monster that he has created...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't love fishscale, but did you find that PBW record that much better?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

PBW seems like somebody that would be pretty cool on a personal level. I wonder if, in his private moments, he's at all embarassed over the monster that he has created...

I hear Cartoon Network has a pretty solid psychological services department.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I listen to Charizma and PBW's album a lot more than I do Fishscale, which to me is worth it for maybe 3-4 songs at best and is pretty boring on the whole. Charizma is like a naive, optimistic Big L and is really kind of charming.

Stonesthrow's message boards = exactly what's wrong with the internet

I've wondered the same thing. He's probally is a little bit, but I'm pretty sure he quickly shakes that right off when he realizes he's making a living by running a successfull record label supported by "those types". Probally one of the VERY few succesfull indie rap labels.

but yeah dog, only stonesthrow dudes are the ones that have corn-ball fans (SARCASM). I think the only artists that don't have at least some ammount of dorky fans and the ones that don't have any at all. Shit, having nerds and white folks is like a measuring stick for success (IMO)

oh cmon at least its a good album

C'mon, deej. Yes, Ghost gets jocked disproportionately by bloggers and this album--which doesn't really stand out from the rest of his catalog--did receive suspicious acclaim online.

But, at the end of the day, the dude is still one of the alltime greats who now has a very limited audience in the real world, despite the fact that hasn't slipped creatively--I can't be mad that certain people in certain corners of the internet are jocking him.

I can't be mad that certain people in certain corners of the internet are jocking him.

5 million previous posts of your own say that you not only can, but definitely should.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    See to me charizma-praise is less annoying cuz for all the fringe dudes who are like 'this obscure cali rapper who never even released an album til 10 years after he died = GOAT!' aren't exactly having much of an impact beyond their little sheltered message board, so its really hard for me to be mad at that. Whereas this kind of Ghostface jocking is kind of annoying just because its really widespread, and 1/2 of it is people who don't listen to rap and the other half is people who are like 'if ghostface shits it i will eat it' willing to take whatever he does because he's like, a genius. Which he is!!! Supreme Clientele, even Pretty Toney and those hidden darts mixtapes, ironman, whatever. But to me Fishscale was like 'hit all the critical buttons,' pete rock beat for the throwback heads, j dilla beat for the underground kids, mf doom beat for the crossover indie dudes, cartoonish track with Raekwon about crack for the OB4CL fans, throw a lazy verse about being underwater and presto, classic record. People finally started to come around when More Fish dropped, but I was already burned once.

Not saying there isn't some redeeming shit in there - "Back Like That," I think, was a good single. It just seemed like every track was either a rehash or a cynical contrivence for some of that gnarls barkley money.

i know this isnt a popular opinion but uh don't take it personally, gfk fans.

Of course, as we all already know...

faux = one of those "fringe dudes" whose capacity for actually liking rap music holds no more than maybe 4 current and positively overground artists at any given time.

See to me charizma-praise is less annoying cuz for all the fringe dudes who are like 'this obscure cali rapper who never even released an album til 10 years after he died = GOAT!' aren't exactly having much of an impact beyond their little sheltered message board, so its really hard for me to be mad at that. Whereas this kind of Ghostface jocking is kind of annoying just because its really widespread, and 1/2 of it is people who don't listen to rap and the other half is people who are like 'if ghostface shits it i will eat it' willing to take whatever he does because he's like, a genius. Which he is!!! Supreme Clientele, even Pretty Toney and those hidden darts mixtapes, ironman, whatever. But to me Fishscale was like 'hit all the critical buttons,' pete rock beat for the throwback heads, j dilla beat for the underground kids, mf doom beat for the crossover indie dudes, cartoonish track with Raekwon about crack for the OB4CL fans, throw a lazy verse about being underwater and presto, classic record. People finally started to come around when More Fish dropped, but I was already burned once.

Not saying there isn't some redeeming shit in there - "Back Like That," I think, was a good single. It just seemed like every track was either a rehash or a cynical contrivence for some of that gnarls barkley money.

i know this isnt a popular opinion but uh don't take it personally, gfk fans.

I agree with a lot of this and have been saying some of it myself over the past nine months, but I still don't think excessive praise for an album where one of the great rappers is functioning on autopilot is as egregious as the "top 20 of all time!" comment that sparked this exchange.