Rolling Stones-Brown Sugar?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where/What is the Black Man's equivalent?

The writings of Eldridge Cleaver?

• Where/What is the Black Man's equivalent?

hahahaha.

You know your man made a line of mens denimwear that featured a built-in cod piece right?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

hahahaha.

You know your man made a line of mens denimwear that featured a built-in cod piece right?

Word to "Patented Cleavers"... except I think they were more like chaps, with a cut-out crotch.

Post-Christmas clothing finds thread cross-post alert.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

hahahaha.

Word to "Patented Cleavers"... except I think they were more like chaps, with a cut-out crotch.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    "There is no mistaking they are men's pants."

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "There is no mistaking they are men's pants."

" ...real men...the Three-Fisted variety..."

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

hahahaha.

My old boss represented Cleaver on a murder charge back when and when he gave me much of his Panther memorabilia he pulled out this red sock thing and said, "Here's the prototype for the cock sock, do you want it?"

I didn't realize they were sold.

• I said yeah, I said yeah, I said yeah, I said

I didn't know what the lyrics were about, but just the other day they were showing on tv The Stones live in Buenos Aires from last March, I think. At this part of the song Jagger was like "I said yeah, I said yeah, I said yeah..." and then the audience was like "woooooooooooooooooooooooooooo". Something like that 30 times in a row. 50000 people. It takes a whole new meaning now

I saw the Stones in 1989 in Vancouver BC (won it as part of a radio contest), and I thought when they did it then, it was foolish. It got the crowd going like crazy.

Yet when Living Colour opened, no one gave a shit. Fuck 'em.

• Maybe because Living Colour is a crappy band?

Maybe because Living Colour is a crappy band?

I agree that heavy metal sucks. But, Vernon Reid, Muzz Skillings, Will Calhoun and Corey Glover were pretty good players.

To you they may have been, but on the first three albums they were very good. William Calhoun has done a lot of session work since then, and I'm sure you're familiar with everything Vernon Reid has done, whether it's the album he did with Prince Paul, or the Yohimbe Brothers work with DJ Logic, or anything else that he feels like jamming on. Reid's recent solo work is pretty damn good too, I would suggest checking them out.

You familiar with Buckethead? You should check out the album he did on Tzadik.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    "Black Girls Like To Fuck All Night"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• "Black Girls Like To Fuck All Night"

Not guilty. DA is opportunistic.

To you they may have been, but on the first three albums they were very good. William Calhoun has done a lot of session work since then, and I'm sure you're familiar with everything Vernon Reid has done, whether it's the album he did with Prince Paul, or the Yohimbe Brothers work with DJ Logic, or anything else that he feels like jamming on. Reid's recent solo work is pretty damn good too, I would suggest checking them out.

You familiar with Buckethead? You should check out the album he did on Tzadik.

As one of the few people who actually listens to rock music on Soulstrut, I can tell you that none of that stuff appeals to any fan of rock music.

"Brown Sugar" is a great rock song, as controversial as the lyrics might be.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    "Black Girls Like To Fuck All Night"

Not guilty. DA is under investigation[/b] .

• "Black Girls Like To Fuck All Night"

Not guilty. DA is under investigation[/b] .

Whether or not he's under investigation, he's still a shitty, opportunistic lawyer.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

As one of the few people who actually listens to rock music on Soulstrut, I can tell you that none of that stuff appeals to any fan of rock music.

I thought we were talking "music". If you want to get categorical with me, where do you want to begin?

• Haha. Yeah right. Don't let your own open-mindedness obscure your vision of reality. Some "music" fans stick to one particular genre, whatever reason that might be.

Haha. Yeah right. Don't let your own open-mindedness obscure your vision of reality. Some "music" fans stick to one particular genre, whatever reason that might be.

Keyword: Some.

It's not an elitist game, so don't play one. If you are suggesting that you limit your taste in music, that's fine. No problem. I was merely offering some suggestions not only for you, but for anyone else. I wasn't being a smart ass. You are right those, most people who define themselves as "rock fans" probably could care less about anything that is "fringe". They will stick to the Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppelin, Boston, Bad Company, and not think about... well, anyone else.

My question to you is, what's unappealing about the guitar work of Buckethead or Vernon Reid? Simply not to your liking? Too "adventurous"?

===
    Nah, I was just getting at you for your Living Colour comment and you threw it back at me, no big deal. I'd rather talk music than talk shit, that's my whole point.

• All is fair, and I appreciate your attempt, but you won't persuade me or most other rock fans to enjoy Living Colour's music, and it has nothing to do with race. I'm just disappointed that you'd throw that worn-out argument out there, but it's par for the course on this website.

All is fair, and I appreciate your attempt, but you won't persuade me or most other rock fans to enjoy Living Colour's music, and it has nothing to do with race. I'm just disappointed that you'd throw that worn-out argument out there, but it's par for the course on this website.

I don't persuade anyone to do anything, I merely suggest. You are not the only one on this website who appreicates "rock music", and not just for the break or sample value.

When did I mention one's ethnicity? My reference to "anything else" was more along the lines of bands like King Crimson, Can, Gong, or other artists that one wouldn't normally mention or get massive airplay, obscure or otherwise, when it comes to rock. It seems like you're throwing out an argument for the sake of arguing. Of course, I'm also answering to your replies so I'm pretty much doing the same thing.

If this is "par for the course", why stick around? I'm all for a good argument as well, but this one is going nowhere.

• ...Of course Neil Young sang about killing his girl down by the river...Yet hip hop gets the bad rap for inappropriate lyrics.

My gods what a dopey statement. Sounds like something Don Wildmon would say. DBTR is about "blowing it with your chick" says the man. You took it literally?

...Of course Neil Young sang about killing his girl down by the river...Yet hip hop gets the bad rap for inappropriate lyrics.

My gods what a dopey statement. Sounds like something Don Wildmon would say. DBTR is about "blowing it with your chick" says the man. You took it literally?

Good point. I'm sorry I'm not smart enough to understand the depth of Mr Young's lyrics. I don't even know what "blowing it with your chick" means. I've reread the lyrics. There are a bunch of lines that make no sense to me, then "I shot my baby dead", which I find a easy to understand.

"Down By The River"

Be on my side,
    I'll be on your side,
    baby
    There is no reason
    for you to hide
    It's so hard for me
    staying here all alone
    When you could be
    taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
    over the rainbow,
    send me away
    Down by the river
    I shot my baby
    Down by the river,
    Dead, oh, shot her dead.

You take my hand,
    I'll take your hand
    Together we may get away
    This much madness
    is too much sorrow
    It's impossible
    to make it today.

Yeah, she could drag me
    over the rainbow,
    send me away
    Down by the river
    I shot my baby
    Down by the river,
    Dead, oh, shot her dead.

Be on my side,
    I'll be on your side,
    baby
    There is no reason
    for you to hide
    It's so hard for me
    staying here all alone
    When you could be
    taking me for a ride.

Yeah, she could drag me
    over the rainbow,
    send me away
    Down by the river
    I shot my baby
    Down by the river,
    Dead, oh, shot her dead.

• It's about shooting smack.

It's about shooting smack.

What Neil Young song isn't?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Funny you should mention that song and those lyrics. I just heard this last nite on the radio (rod stewart - every picture tells a story):

I moved right out east yeah!
    On the Peking ferry I was feeling merry
    sailing on my way back here
    I fell in love with a slit eyed lady
    by the light of an eastern moon
    Shangai Lil never used the pill
    She claimed that it just ain't natural
    She took me up on deck and bit my neck
    Oh people I was glad I found her
    Oh yeah I was glad I found her

and this one is also a "classic rock staple"

So I guess maybe it used to be okay to be straight up racist only if you are a white-englishmen singing black-american music?

So I guess maybe it used to be okay to be straight up racist only if you are a white-englishmen singing black-american music?