Pap’s Weekend Digs...

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
Lee Morgan - The SidewinderClawhammer - PablumWhirlpool - Liquid GlassUrsula Rucker - Supa SistaGladys Knight & The Pips - The Best Of (Buddah)Van Morrison - Astral WeeksBilly Preston - I Wrote A Simple SongMillie Jackson - For Men OnlyThe Cure - Seventeen SecondsOC Smith - The DynamicVarious - 7th Annual Bands Of Tomorrow Contest: High School Division Finalists 1969. Anyone know this, maybe private press from Virginia (Century Records), a whole bunch of funky/jazzy high school bands, Jamey Aebersold was apparently a guest clinician over the competition weekend, which also included a guest concert appearance by the Commodores?? Strange thing to find down here.

Comments

• ramsy lewis-mother nature's son
    cozy powell-and then there was skin 45 (doubles) drums like whoa.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    blue note ebay finds?

Yup. Deal with it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    damn! that is a dope record though - one of my fav Blue Notes.

Massive props to "that dude" J** for giving me his copy.

Yup. Deal with it.

...Poptarts?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Yup. Deal with it.
    shit i dont give a fuck. im drunk as hell. you da man Reynaldo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ramsy lewis-mother nature's son

p.s. some of these tracks sound great on 45 speed for some reason, im drunk also, but damn! try cry baby cry. dang.

damn, upon further investigation, young reynaldo is BALLING!!! Headz best take notes...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

The Frijid Pink was a nice find because it never shows up, but is only "ehhh" for the most part (but can be sold for multiple times what I paid for it)...the Pink Floyd is a nice comp of all material from Piper at the Gates of Dawn and early singles...

The Coryell was only $2 and is nice, here's one for Reynaldo

Aw yeah!! rama lama fa fa fa!!

Other goodies from the same spot, but without JPEG's:

Ike & Tina Turner - La Grande Storia del Rock - Armando[/b]
    the Ike & Tina edition of this Italian series is a major score, as it has 4 tracks from the hard-to-cop Ike Turner A Black Man's Soul[/b] LP, including the classic sample track, "Getting Nasty" If you see it, cop it!! $3.99

Five Du-Tones - Shake a Tailfeather - P-Vine[/b]
    Nice official, licensed, LP comp of this outstanding group's tracks, on a heavy quality Japanese pressing. Not one to turn up in shop bins too often, so I was psyched to find it (and cheap)...but why no "Monkey See Monkey Do?????"

45: James Brown - The Popcorn/The Chicken - King[/b]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

does anyone else think this isvone of the 5 greatest jazz albums ever made?

I wanna post pictures of mty 50 finds but its dark and my camera sucks...alls I cansaty now is bless the mango dude chillinvin front of the thrft shop gelling mango's to dudes like me when the first thing on their mind is "you know what I could use?...a pice of fruit"

Mango people make me smile

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    damn, upon further investigation, young reynaldo is BALLING!!! Headz best take notes...

Spending $100 on Blue Mode isn't balling... it's mad toy.

Honestly I appreciate the attitude of "I want, I will buy" but I would think J** would want to be smarter with his investments. Buying most of these at a loss

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    Found these for cheap at a FILTHY farmer's market near my folks' house:

Sylvia: s/t
    Gwen McCrae: Do you know what I mean? 12"
    Three dog night: Suitable for framing
    John Brown Jr's go go music: Watch what happens - soul covers on Marble arch
    JOB orch: Open the doors to your heart
    La-Cresha: Real love 12"
    Grady Tate: Master

Took a chance, I'm sure they're all crap...

Sylvia: S/T, "sweet stuff" is nice, if it's that's one?

JOB orch: Open the doors to your heart-not hard to find but it's still nice. the 45 from this lp goes for $$$, I would guess around ??40-50.

Honestly I appreciate the attitude of "I want, I will buy" but I would think J** would want to be smarter with his investments. Buying most of these at a loss

How can it be "a loss" for him when they will never ever leave the reynaldo lair? I hear he's going to be entombed with his raers, king tut style...

How can it be "a loss" for him when they will never ever leave the reynaldo lair? I hear he's going to be entombed with his raers, king tut style...

a record's "value" isn't strictly for the purpose of sale, but guages its overall worth (just sitting in a collection), and even - as one's collection is an extension of them - its owner's self-worth.

Who would want to be buried with overpriced records that will have fallen in value over the course of their lifetime? I mean, I can understand entombing yourself in records valued at over $100 - but entombing yourself in common blue notes won in a crazed bidding war? This just doesn't say "landed gentry" to me. It says "new money", it says "hood rich", and it screams "wasn't my money to begin with".

Moreover, if he ever decides to leave the collection to his next of kin, they will be unpleasantly surprised by the fact that Blue Mode is really worth $20-40. THINK OF THE CHILDRENS!!!!

This just doesn't say "landed gentry" to me. It says "new money", it says "hood rich", and it screams "wasn't my money to begin with".

Moreover, if he ever decides to leave the collection to his next of kin, they will be unpleasantly surprised by the fact that Blue Mode is really worth $20-40. THINK OF THE CHILDRENS!!!!

Harsh words.

What do you think about Soul Guru for $170+???

I'll turn this over to the young Scion??? Pimp...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    JP luh da kids!

saying

If dude wants to spend money, so be it. Why you gotta hate on a checkbook? Saying.

JP luh da kids!

saying

If dude wants to spend money, so be it. Why you gotta hate on a his parents' checkbook? Saying.

I'm not hating, I'm laughing...

$170 for Soul Guru is a lot closer to its actual value than $100 for Blue Mode....

I think this was an uncharacteristic lack of discipline from our man in Valley Springs...

And for the record, HCrink has a better sense of humor and better taste in music than MLatency...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Speaking of Reuben Wilson, anybody know what's up with the rest of 'Set Us Free'?

All I know on there is 'We're In Love'. Is it worth the $80 one sold for recently?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Is it safe??now???
    I'm chillin' in the cut watchin' how the Big Dogs/Dudes do it.
    Tonnes of knowledge is being dropped(Price vs Value)arguments and all.
    ok i'm fallin' back now,dont mind me.

I'm okay with that.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

And for the record, HCrink has a better sense of humor and better taste in music than MLatency...

• Man, I got a killer 12" yesterday..

Class Action - "Week End" on Sleeping Bag (their first release?). All the mixes on here are so fucking dope. This is gonna get some serious rotation.

Also:

Davy DMX - "One For the Treble" (Tuff City)
    Level 42 - Starchild b/w Turn It On (Polydor)
    Mantronix - "Fresh Is The Word"
    T La Rock - "He's Incredible"

All these for 50 cents each! Word!

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

cozy powell-and then there was skin 45 (doubles) drums like whoa.

This track is my shit!!!

• these came home with me Friday (a free jazz holiday weekend throwdown):

Cecil Taylor "Jazz Advance" LP on Transition
    Griot Galaxy "Kins" LP
    Phil Ranelin "Time Is Now" LP on Tribe
    Cecil Payne "Zodiac" LP on Strata East
    Doug Hammond "Folks" LP
    Doug Hammond "Spaces" LP
    Sam Rivers Tuba Trio & Earl Cross Sextet "Jazz Of The Seventies" LP
    Marion Brown "Geechee Recollections" LP on Impulse
    Mongo Santamaria "Fuego" LP on Vaya
    "New York Eye And Ear Control" LP on ESP

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    these came home with me Friday (a free jazz holiday weekend throwdown):

Cecil Taylor "Jazz Advance" LP on Transition
    Griot Galaxy "Kins" LP
    Phil Ranelin "Time Is Now" LP on Tribe
    Cecil Payne "Zodiac" LP on Strata East
    Doug Hammond "Folks" LP
    Doug Hammond "Spaces" LP
    Sam Rivers Tuba Trio & Earl Cross Sextet "Jazz Of The Seventies" LP
    Marion Brown "Geechee Recollections" LP on Impulse
    Mongo Santamaria "Fuego" LP on Vaya
    "New York Eye And Ear Control" LP on ESP

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

Once again my envy is tempered only by deep respect for your digging ability and taste. yes, I am kissing ass. Nice weekend, A###n.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    only 2 lp's this weekend

Jimmy Ruffin-Ruff 'n Ready
    Douglas Fir-Hard Heartsingin'

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

45s

Johnny Otis Show - Country Girl (Kent) Hook-Up's Theme
    Ronnie Mitchell - Soul Meeting (Hourglass) Can you say bangin' ass drums?
    Moody Scott - We Gotta Bust Out The Ghetto pt.1&2 (Sound Stage 7)
    Maurice & Mac - Try Me (Checker)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some nice 45 digs yesterday....$17 bucks total

Viola Wills "Sweetback/I've got news for you"(Supreme) killa lil' sister funk 2 sider

Vernon Brown "I'm a Lover/of your life"(Spring) nice southern soul

Barbara Randolph "Can I get a witness"(Soul) dbl sided promo one of the most un-motown sounding motown records I have ever heard...really good

Otis Clay "That's how it is/show place"(One-derful!) nice..but that goes without saying...

Fabulous Counts "lunar funk/get down people"(Moira) I am prolly the only person in the world who has come up on "Jan Jan" a bazillion times and never came up on one of these..until now.

Jesse James "Dont nobody want to get married" pts 1 and 2 (ZEA) this thing sounded like someone frying bacon at the beach when the tide was coming in...some TLC and it now sounds perfect.

Fountain of Youth "Liza Jane/Witness People"(Colgems) the a side is some crappy sunshine pop BS, but "Witness People" is a nice little slice of proto stoner rock...tremelo, fuzz lyrics about how things are "weird"...great!

Led Zeppelin "Immigrant Song/hey hey what can I do?"(Atlantic Japan) their only single(I know there are other 45s, but this was the only single they released..non LP B-side, I have heard the B-side on the radio since I was a kid but never knew where in the fuck it was from until recently)