I listened to the Lupe Fiasco album yesterday...

124»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    omg best thing about this thread, other than the br3ihan graemlin made by an anonymous strutter, is the coining of "latte fiasco"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    escape to the world of the projects, crack, and guns.

This is an awfully racist portrayal of rapp music, Bull-guy.

You don't know what these folks are listening to or the subject matter it speaks on.

And I truly hope you don't indulge in those thousands of rock and blues songs regarding guns/violence, drug/alcohol abuse, adultery/promiscuity, mysoginy, etc that comprise the rockist canon. Cuz that would just be wrong. I mean the Beatles have that song about killing your girlfriend for cheating, so they're just bad people and that music needs to be avoided.

I was at a show a year or two ago where a gat was pulled right in front of me. But it was SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS. So am I to presume anyone listening to them is a tough guy and that I should stay away from that stuff?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Someone needs to tell odub to take it easy flashing his piece at shows like that.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Really? Because any time any rap isn't about this then all the psuedo tough-guys here call it soft and make fun of it, call it garbage, kufi rap, etc... the same reason people call kufi rap garbage are the same reasons I think pop rap is garbage... boring beats, no flow, etc... I stopped listening to most rap now anyways so now I sit on the sidelines and call it as I see it.

You don't know what these folks are listening to or the subject matter it speaks on.
    I only know what I read in these threads.

And I truly hope you don't indulge in those thousands of rock and blues songs regarding guns/violence, drug/alcohol abuse, adultery/promiscuity, mysoginy, etc that comprise the rockist canon. Cuz that would just be wrong. I mean the Beatles have that song about killing your girlfriend for cheating, so they're just bad people and that music needs to be avoided.
    I've never really listened to rock. ever. I never could get into it. Although this year I've decided to listen to a little bit of it, just for something new. I know absolutely nothing about rock and roll though. So I don't know what those songs are about.

I was at a show a year or two ago where a gat was pulled right in front of me. But it was SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS. So am I to presume anyone listening to them is a tough guy and that I should stay away from that stuff?
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Listen...

no, seriously.... listen.....

The only point I'm trying to make is that you radio rap champs that deride anything that doesn't fall into a narrow category of what you consider to be acceptable black music are no different than the so-called haters and backpackers. In fact, you're worse, because some of you will claim whats real, what's street, what the hood is feeling, and use that as your own basis of what is good, when you are so far removed from the "streets" that its laughable. Don't use something you know nothing about as a basis for "legitimacy". Its fucking emberassing.

That weird al music video was making fun of you, not me.

You can like whatever you want. Its the posturing on here that is so emberassing. Brian "why did you listen to it". Faux "I used to be illmatic, now I'm snap". Whatever. Its so transparent.

Go ahead and call me mad... ooooh how dare he talk about radio rap... he's so racist! But any black music that doesn't fall into your narrow (non-black and outrageously stereotypical) world view of what black music should be gets laughed at by who? Re-read this thread.... who's laughing at Lupe? In fact, go re-read the threads of the last month... Who's telling us all what real black music is? I'll give you a hint... they sure as hell aren't black....

• This is my theory and just my theory but check it..That kick push shit jumped off from nowhere and fans was diggin it...Lupes first album leaks to the internet ..more buzz is built..The marketing geniuses figure out a way to make more money..and totally skew Lupes 2nd album into some 2006 PM Dawn type shit to get that ipod dough..Cuz i like dudes 1st album a million times better than that bullshit nu jawn..watch yall think about that....

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I thought everyone here would be checking for it considering ya boyee Jigga is a executive producer on it and he's featured on the song "Pressure".

• This is an awfully racist portrayal of rapp music, Bull-guy.
    Really? Because any time any rap isn't about this then all the psuedo tough-guys here call it soft and make fun of it, call it garbage, kufi rap, etc... the same reason people call kufi rap garbage are the same reasons I think pop rap is garbage... boring beats, no flow, etc... I stopped listening to most rap now anyways so now I sit on the sidelines and call it as I see it.

I've never really listened to rock. ever. I never could get into it. Although this year I've decided to listen to a little bit of it, just for something new. I know absolutely nothing about rock and roll though. So I don't know what those songs are about.

The only point I'm trying to make is that you radio rap champs that deride anything that doesn't fall into a narrow category of what you consider to be acceptable black music are no different than the so-called haters and backpackers. In fact, you're worse, because some of you will claim whats real, what's street, what the hood is feeling, and use that as your own basis of what is good, when you are so far removed from the "streets" that its laughable. Don't use something you know nothing about as a basis for "legitimacy". Its fucking emberassing.

You can like whatever you want. Its the posturing on here that is so emberassing. Brian "why did you listen to it". Faux "I used to be illmatic, now I'm snap". Whatever. Its so transparent.

Go ahead and call me mad... ooooh how dare he talk about radio rap... he's so racist! But any black music that doesn't fall into your narrow (non-black and outrageously stereotypical) world view of what black music should be gets laughed at by who? Re-read this thread.... who's laughing at Lupe? In fact, go re-read the threads of the last month... Who's telling us all what real black music is? I'll give you a hint... they sure as hell aren't black....

This outburst is bizarre.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

go re-read the threads of the last month... Who's telling us all what real black music is?

Uhm... Nobody?

This topic of discussion is getting old. Every damn rap thread it's the same song, again and again...

• I thought everyone here would be checking for it considering ya boyee Jigga is a executive producer on it and he's featured on the song "Pressure".

Not enough Crack Talk for Faux, that's all that matters son.

Whats bizarre to me is how its ok to make fun of one type of rap, but when its flipped back on people, its racist.

And yeah, this whole thing is tired, but it keeps coming up. And I'm not the one that pulled "the race" card. Thats somebody else's trick when somebody doesn't like their music.

I dare anybody to prove me wrong.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I thought everyone here would be checking for it considering ya boyee Jigga is a executive producer on it and he's featured on the song "Pressure".

My boyee Jigga has also executive produced numerous Memphis Bleek albums, none of which I checked for.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Not enough Crack Talk for Faux, that's all that matters son.

LOLZ, i wonder if Faux is just mad because he was duped into buying it on the strength of the Jay-Z connection alone.

Not least for the suggestion that I am no longer illmatic.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all right, it seems like i have to clarify a simple statement i made in this thread
    i posted "why would you want to listen to this" in this thread. the statement was made based on the single i heard which was severely underwhelming and corny. as much as i would have loved to hear some gun talk or crack stories, they aren't really essential for my listening pleasure.

if you want to make assumptions about me based on what i post on here, at least dig a little deeper cos i don't do none of that posturing bullshit you talking about. i mean, if i was assuming shit based solely on your posts, i would think you were an angry old man with an asian fetish that hates rap but continues to post about it cos it makes him feel young.

• if i was assuming shit based solely on your posts, i would think you were an angry old man with an asian fetish that hates rap but continues to post about it cos it makes him feel young.

all right, it seems like i have to clarify a simple statement i made in this thread i posted "why would you want to listen to this" in this thread. the statement was made based on the single i heard which was severely underwhelming and corny. as much as i would have loved to hear some gun talk or crack stories, they aren't really essential for my listening pleasure.

Despite how often the accusation gets thrown around, I don't think those things are essential to anybody's listening pleasure.

As much gun talk and crack talk as we've all heard over the past fifteen years it's difficult for me to imagine anybody being titillated by it. Nonetheless, the fact is that it is among the subjects addressed by many of the best MCs currently recording. I suppose one could refuse to listen to their records on principal--no great sacrifice for those of you that never really liked rap anyway--but that would be ridiculous.

As much gun talk and crack talk as we've all heard over the past fifteen years it's difficult for me to imagine anybody being titillated by it.

Well there you go, we agree on something.

Nonetheless, the fact is that it is among the subjects addressed by many of the best MCs currently recording.
    Rappers haven't called themselves "MCs" in 10 years.

I suppose one could refuse to listen to their records on principal--no great sacrifice for those of you that never really liked rap anyway--but that would be ridiculous.

*cough* isn't that why you refuse to listen to so-called Kufi rap or anything non radio/south/gangsta??? *cough*

How many times have you said that a record sucks without listening to it?

• Oh and word to young phon, i hope you can't criticize a musician because he could beat you up is the new you can't criticize a musician because you don't make music. But respect the archaitect - Rashied was throwing around similar ideas when you were still wearing blue bunny suits.

My lil' amigo:

Where the hell did you get that from? Step up your comprehnsion skillz, son. I was just saying I find it hilarious that internet nerds are are calling Lupe Fiasco a soft-bitch in a "the pot calling the kettle black" type of way.

and yo[/b]

this thread is really getting ugly. y'all dudes need to eat sandwhich.

• CueCue 26 Posts
    I'm going to throw this article against the wall and see if it sticks.
    http://www.fiyastarter.com/fs-pages/fs-ent-maliksear-lupef&l.html

Lupe Fiasco - Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor
    Give It A Listen, Or Three.
    by: Malik Sinsear, for Entertainment

The last time such an anticipated Hip-Hop album had been leaked as early as Lupe Fiasco???s Food and Liquor, we all watched as Columbia Records panicked and sent Nas back to the studio to quickly pen classic hits like Big Things and Dr. Knockboot to rework I Am. With that in mind, I was hoping Atlantic Records would just leave Lupe???s record the fuck alone and move up the release date, if anything. As 50 and Jay have shown, if the quality is in the work, the damn Towers could be falling and you???ll still sell. Throwing some new bullshit together to change a track listing will only hurt your catalogue in the long run, because bootleggers are like toilets; they???re gonna get your shit regardless.

So, as you can see, I had some reservations about the Go???s newest Hip-Hop savior and his freshman set off the top, but to my surprise, it all worked out. Lupe???s album is new and indeed improved. (not that any of us would know that for sure since the bootleg we all heard wasn???t mastered, nor did it even have chorus??? or guest spots, but I digress)

To begin his debut, Lupe explains the meaning behind the title. According to him, food is the good stuff you need in life, while liquor is just the opposite, but life is made up of both, nonetheless. I respect his wrong ass opinion, but maybe he needs to do what I did; stop drinking that cheap ass Gilbey's vodka and step up to the Goose or that new Cavalli shit. Repeated distillation = less hangover medication, true story. Anyway, after the PSA, Lupe jumps feet first into his role as the newest rapper that actually has something to say with Real featuring Sarah Green.

My man said he wanted something real,
    Something he could recognize,
    Something he could feel.

When that???s the first rhyme of your debut album, you???ve got some lofty expectations to live up to. Lupe does more than an adequate job, but not without a few missteps along the way. Some may say he???s a bit too technical in regards to his rhymes, but I happen to like music that I can???t totally digest in one sitting. It???s ok if I don???t get a simile or metaphor until the third or fourth listen. I???m still catching new shit from De La???s Buhloone Mindstate, and that dropped in 1993. You think I???m mad about it?

But, that???s not my criticism of this CD though, it???s actually the production. Not that the tracks are bad, but they seem to be a bit exaggerated and over-dramatic in spots. You can start as early as Just Might Be Ok featuring Gemini. The song is all over the place with four and a half minutes of horns, singing, video game samples and jetfighter sound effects. It???s not until the last verse that I even notice the rapping. Daydreamin' featuring Jill Scott doesn???t feel quite right either production wise. The sample and the singing match about as well as John Witherspoon.

However, the many pluses outweigh the few minuses on Food and Liquor. An eerie track perfectly accompanies the eerie tale of Cool and on the CD???s best feature, Hurt Me Soul, Lupe describes just how close his favorite genre of music resembles reality.

I guess I shouldn???t conclude this review without commenting on the song that most people probably want to know about, Pressure featuring Jay-Z. Truth is I dunno what to tell you, because I don???t know what the hell either Lupe or Jay are talking about on the song. Give me three or four more listens though and I should have an ideal.

• I thought everyone here would be checking for it considering ya boyee Jigga is a executive producer on it and he's featured on the song "Pressure".

My boyee Jigga has also executive produced numerous Memphis Bleek albums, none of which I checked for.

thats too bad because is a er

thats too bad because is a er

"Round Here" and "Hypnotic" were cool, but were not nearly as good as they would have been without Bleek's presence.

Sorry, but the only way to listen to this guy's recordings is to fade out before his verses.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    The last time such an anticipated Hip-Hop album had been leaked as early as Lupe Fiasco???s Food and Liquor, we all watched as Columbia Records panicked and sent Nas back to the studio to quickly pen classic hits like Big Things and Dr. Knockboot to rework I Am.

Actually, Dr. Knockboots was on the original leak.

"Daydreamin'" is the only beat I find half interesting on the record.

The last time such an anticipated Hip-Hop album had been leaked as early as Lupe Fiasco???s Food and Liquor, we all watched as Columbia Records panicked and sent Nas back to the studio to quickly pen classic hits like Big Things and Dr. Knockboot to rework I Am.

Actually, Dr. Knockboots was on the original leak.

"Daydreamin'" is the only beat I find half interesting on the record.

Ah, but do you contest that it is the most anticipated album since summer of '99?

And I agree that "Daydreamin'" is--because of the production--by far the standout cut.