I listened to the Lupe Fiasco album yesterday...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Is that Lupe or Sa-Ra?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    why would you listen to this

Yeah totally. It would like, impossible to do a drive by in between serving lattes if I had to listen to this. Real gangstas listen to Lil 'Rrhoid when killing punk mother fuckers and blending the perfect frappachino.

REALNISS.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

yeah but thats coming from there. That place has some of the dumbest motherfuckers on the planet posting there. Ive seen threads there saying that lil wayne is jesus christ incarnate. You have to take that place with a grain of salt.

While I would not recommend anybody taking much of anything people say on www.okayplayer.com seriously, the opinions espoused there do still exist and are reflective of the thinking of a decent-sized--if delusional--chunk of the rap-listening population.

Regardless, lots of other people outside of that site are excited about this dude.

See: cover of Billboard

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

a lot of people in the world are checking for lupe's shit, although i usually don't ask if they post on okayplayer.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Yeah totally. It would like, impossible to do a drive by in between serving lattes if I had to listen to this. Real gangstas listen to Lil 'Rrhoid when killing punk mother fuckers and blending the perfect frappachino.

REALNISS.

Why does Keane guy want to speak on rapp music??

• Worse than that Guru or Lady Bug covers? Damn,

I always thought this was a bad cover. Cam looks like he's ready for some raving with the same sex. Better yet, the scene in the Simpsons where Homer takes Bart to a gay steel mill.

REALNISS.

I find Keane enjoyable to listen to while I am traveling, and also sometimes at work while testing software. However, if I was to go home, put on a pot of coffee, kill a bitch, and then enjoy my coffee, I just don't think I could do that to music by somebody named Lupe who doesn't even look mexican.

I don't know what kind of music you listen to while you blog, or kill people.

When I was in 'Nam putting lead up charlie's ass I wasn't afforded the luxury of today's young barrista. The only time I could listen to music was back in some hooker's hooch, and saigon sally never seemed to have an Bach on her, which is how I would have preferred to unwind from a week or 2 of savage killing. When I was in the field doing long range recon with the LRPS I would put haikus to music in my head, in 5/7 time as a joke. It was a good way to kill time, until the time came to kill. I once hid in a water buffalo carcass for 3 days because our position got overrun and I had no way to un-ass the AO. I wrote 84 different Haikus while I was in there AND set them all to music.

Although we didn't have rap music back then, I'm pretty sure there is no way I could have collected NVA scalps to the sound of Lupe Fiasco. Thats simply ridiculous. After Victor Charles took my left testicle music hasn't sounded the same to me anyways.

But back to the point, all I'm saying is that different types of music fit different types of activities, so Young Weezy is great for activities like Making the perfect Chai and/or selling crack, it isn't so good for what I do. So yeah, an ice cold murderer wants an Ice cold coffee, no sugar, with room for cream, not Lupe.

I hope this is clear.

Worse than that Guru or Lady Bug covers? Damn,

Well, perhaps made worse by context--those were releases by delusional has-beens on labels that nobody's ever heard of.

This was the major label debut by a guy who's recently been all over the music press.

• HAHAHAHAHA! I just saw the Lupe cover for the first time. First thing that comes to mind is......

XANADU

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

REALNISS.

I find Keane enjoyable to listen to while I am traveling, and also sometimes at work while testing software. However, if I was to go home, put on a pot of coffee, kill a bitch, and then enjoy my coffee, I just don't think I could do that to music by somebody named Lupe who doesn't even look mexican.

When I was in 'Nam putting lead up charlie's ass I wasn't afforded the luxury of today's young barrista. The only time I could listen to music was back in some hooker's hooch, and saigon sally never seemed to have an Bach on her, which is how I would have preferred to unwind from a week or 2 of savage killing. When I was in the field doing long range recon with the LRPS I would put haikus to music in my head, in 5/7 time as a joke. It was a good way to kill time, until the time came to kill. I once hid in a water buffalo carcass for 3 days because our position got overrun and I had no way to un-ass the AO. I wrote 84 different Haikus while I was in there AND set them all to music.

Although we didn't have rap music back then, I'm pretty sure there is no way I could have collected NVA scalps to the sound of Lupe Fiasco. Thats simply ridiculous. After Victor Charles took my left testicle music hasn't sounded the same to me anyways.

But back to the point, all I'm saying is that different types of music fit different types of activities, so Young Weezy is great for activities like Making the perfect Chai and/or selling crack, it isn't so good for what I do. So yeah, an ice cold murderer wants an Ice cold coffee, no sugar, with room for cream, not Lupe.

I hope this is clear.
    tepid

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'm just listening to this for the first time, and it's sounding pretty good. And, I think there's a lot of hype right now because it's kind of been awhile since there was a "legit" and "safe" (in a mainstream frame of mind) rap dude out. So, I can understand why people are all over it. I do still agree that the cover art was is a mistake, though.

REALNISS.

I hope this is clear.
    tepid

Piping hot and refreshing, like the perfect cup of java!

Of course, i can't be expected to understand where you are coming from, since I didn't have to grow up in the war torn gang infested ghettos of... hawaii....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think someone might be taking things a little bit too far
    please point out anywhere i have said anything remotely close to what you are parodying. thank you.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    please point out anywhere i have said anything remotely close to what you are parodying. thank you.

Why don't you just find over the top escapist entertainment that's more like your everyday life?

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    i just received an isntant message reading "do you think the new lupe fiasco album is our generations illmatic?"

The much more important question is, "will this album be meaningful in 10 years the same way as illmatic is nowadays?"

that said, I like how he is sporting the boombox as a center of devices. The typo looks like some bollywood schlock though...

• Personally I feel his songs are waaaaay too preachy. Damn near every other song is a third person account of a dude who took the wrong path.

He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!

Whatever whatever...

Herm

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Personally I feel his songs are waaaaay too preachy. Damn near every other song is a third person account of a dude who took the wrong path.

He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!
    He cares about Black people.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    are those actual lyrics

• He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!
    are those actual lyrics

No. I made 'em up.

Herm

are those actual lyrics

No. I made 'em up.

Pretty convincing imitation, though.

The track that Kanye produced, "The Cool," is about a guy that gets killed and then returns as some sort of zombie... because he tried to be cool. Seriously.

Personally I feel his songs are waaaaay too preachy. Damn near every other song is a third person account of a dude who took the wrong path.

I don't know... wouldn't he make good rapps if he did?

• He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!
    are those actual lyrics

No. I made 'em up.

I thought my Game vs. Ras Kass lyrics were more betterer.

Herm

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I don't know... wouldn't he make good rapps if he did?
    He would make caring rapps.

are those actual lyrics

No. I made 'em up.

I thought my Game vs. Ras Kass lyrics were more betterer.

Herm

"I tackle ya, then stick you in your jugular with spectacular venacular, I B flippin' fake blood like a Halloween Dracula with a spatula."

Oh man........ I just laughed my ass off

Why don't you just find over the top escapist entertainment that's more like your everyday life?

Now, now, now, no need to get your feelings hurt just because 1 person thinks you are silly.....

• "
    He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress! "

I damm nearly died from choking I was laughing so hard.

Plain and simple, Lupe is soft.

• I wan't to see a picture of him skating.........

yeah, right.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I think the painting behind the cover is by revolutionary new media artist banksy or something....Anyway the point is that you are supposed to care.

anyways, i just figured that this was another one for people who care more about what a rapper is rapping about than if the songs are actually any good.

Plus, the kid has NO flow.

• Plus, the kid has NO flow.
    ??

Speaking of flow, the Jay-Z biting on "Just Might Be OK" is pretty damn embarrassing.