I listened to the Lupe Fiasco album yesterday...

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    If a skating, somewhat indiestyle rapper should be hyped and get major label dough, it should be

I haven't heard Lupe's album, but the singles are okay, not more.

edit: whoa, the picture was changing on me!

• Personally I feel his songs are waaaaay too preachy. Damn near every other song is a third person account of a dude who took the wrong path.

He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!
    He cares about Black people.

I don't know... wouldn't he make good rapps if he did?
    He would make caring rapps.

you need a new a punchline

yeah yeah yeah i know

[reynaldo]you mad/or a similar response[/reynaldo]

• [quotePlain and simple, Lupe is soft.

Not that I really care for Lupe, but unless you're somehow different from 95% of the dudes on the internet you're probally a pussy to, if not bigger.

I really don't get how a lot of lightweights on this INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD can sit back and acuse someone else of being soft, when in reality those dudes probally coudn't take a right hook to mouth.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Personally I feel his songs are waaaaay too preachy. Damn near every other song is a third person account of a dude who took the wrong path.

He started off his day bumpin' NWA/and now at night he hits the pipe with a hooker named Shenay/If he had only kickflipped to Q-Tip and the rest/He'd be rockin' Visvims and livin' life with no stress!
    He cares about Black people.

I don't know... wouldn't he make good rapps if he did?
    He would make caring rapps.

you need a new a punchline

yeah yeah yeah i know

[reynaldo]you mad/or a similar response[/reynaldo]
    You deeply resent white people.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    why would you listen to this

Yeah totally. It would like, impossible to do a drive by in between serving lattes if I had to listen to this. Real gangstas listen to Lil 'Rrhoid when killing punk mother fuckers and blending the perfect frappachino.

REALNISS.

Why does Keane guy want to speak on rapp music??

I find Keane enjoyable to listen to while I am traveling, and also sometimes at work while testing software. However, if I was to go home, put on a pot of coffee, kill a bitch, and then enjoy my coffee, I just don't think I could do that to music by somebody named Lupe who doesn't even look mexican.

I don't know what kind of music you listen to while you blog, or kill people.

When I was in 'Nam putting lead up charlie's ass I wasn't afforded the luxury of today's young barrista. The only time I could listen to music was back in some hooker's hooch, and saigon sally never seemed to have an Bach on her, which is how I would have preferred to unwind from a week or 2 of savage killing. When I was in the field doing long range recon with the LRPS I would put haikus to music in my head, in 5/7 time as a joke. It was a good way to kill time, until the time came to kill. I once hid in a water buffalo carcass for 3 days because our position got overrun and I had no way to un-ass the AO. I wrote 84 different Haikus while I was in there AND set them all to music.

Although we didn't have rap music back then, I'm pretty sure there is no way I could have collected NVA scalps to the sound of Lupe Fiasco. Thats simply ridiculous. After Victor Charles took my left testicle music hasn't sounded the same to me anyways.

But back to the point, all I'm saying is that different types of music fit different types of activities, so Young Weezy is great for activities like Making the perfect Chai and/or selling crack, it isn't so good for what I do. So yeah, an ice cold murderer wants an Ice cold coffee, no sugar, with room for cream, not Lupe.

I hope this is clear.

Classic.

• Did anybody notice the line in "I Gotcha" about Banksy?

I shit you not.

• kick push was cool. i dug that shit casue i grew up around skaters.

kick push was cool. i dug that shit casue i grew up around skaters.

lol....the funniest shit I read on soul strut in a while.

• i think someone might be taking things a little bit too far
    please point out anywhere i have said anything remotely close to what you are parodying. thank you.

Why don't you just find over the top escapist entertainment that's more like your everyday life?

Now, now, now, no need to get your feelings hurt just because 1 person thinks you are silly.....

Why are you judging people you've never met based on what music they listen to?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Plain and simple, Lupe is soft.

Not that I really care for Lupe, but unless you're somehow different from 95% of the dudes on the internet you're probally a pussy to, if not bigger.

I really don't get how a lot of lightweights on this INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD can sit back and acuse someone else of being soft, when in reality those dudes probally coudn't take a right hook to mouth.

You sound soft.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

You sound soft.

Soft Nerd Rap

You sound soft.

Soft Nerd Rap

Watch your mouth--he is a Project Blowed affilliate.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    *** You are ignoring this user ***

And now, because no hate post would be complete without me introducing empirical evidence of irrelevance, I must ask: what will his first week sales look like?

I can't really call this one. There's a lot of excitement about him in certain corners of the internet and even in the print media, but I don't know anybody in the real world that's feeling him like that. Then again, I don't really hang out with much of anyone in the Lupe Fiasco demographic.

I am saying 45K.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    OK not that I'm on the side of herbs who are saying this is WHATS RALLY GOOD about rap in the '06 but what is wrong with soft nerd rap??? Also, Lupe's version of Anthony Hamilton's "Comin From Where I'm From" is the shit. And he can flow. And he can rap. At least, he does on the mixtapes I've heard. And "Kick Push."

This whole "must be hard to be good" thing is a little suspect. This from the board going on about how great tribe was! I know some of you were bumping nerd rap on yr way to ikea within the past couple years, don't act like yr above it now.

If you feel guilty about liking Lupe, just pick up that Yo Gotti.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i think someone might be taking things a little bit too far
    please point out anywhere i have said anything remotely close to what you are parodying. thank you.

Why don't you just find over the top escapist entertainment that's more like your everyday life?

Now, now, now, no need to get your feelings hurt just because 1 person thinks you are silly.....

Because this is soulstrut!

Seriously though, I know the drill, its OK to make fun of Lupe, kufi rap, and old rappers, its not ok to make fun of anything 'street', thug music, southy rap, or radio rap.

Any music that might reflect the lifestyle you actually live is soft and gay.

I understand its an 'escapist fantasy', so that the realness of really real is real in the sense that dungeons and dragons is real, and they both fulfill the same needs in different ways. Its ok to escape.

Light some candles, take a bubble bath, put on your ipod, and escape to the world of the projects, crack, and guns. Masturbate if you need to. I support your needs.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Seriously though, I know the drill, its OK to make fun of Lupe, kufi rap, and old rappers, its not ok to make fun of anything 'street', thug music, southy rap, or radio rap.

I understand its an 'escapist fantasy', so that the realness of really real is real in the sense that dungeons and dragons is real, and they both fulfill the same needs in different ways. Its ok to escape.

Light some candles, take a bubble bath, put on your ipod, and escape to the world of the projects, crack, and guns. Masturbate if you need to. I support your needs.
    OK dude, Lupe is muslim, skateboards and owns many guns, reflecting my lifestyle not at all.

LUPE FIASCO IS, HOWEVER...

OK not that I'm on the side of herbs who are saying this is WHATS RALLY GOOD about rap in the '06 but what is wrong with soft nerd rap??? Also, Lupe's version of Anthony Hamilton's "Comin From Where I'm From" is the shit. And he can flow. And he can rap. At least, he does on the mixtapes I've heard. And "Kick Push."

This whole "must be hard to be good" thing is a little suspect. This from the board going on about how great tribe was! I know some of you were bumping nerd rap on yr way to ikea within the past couple years, don't act like yr above it now.

Don't you ever in your life suggest that I shop at Ikea, son!

And I don't think anybody was actually being serious about the hard/soft thing.

i think someone might be taking things a little bit too far

This is hilarious for a bunch of reasons including, but not limited to:

1. You are mad

2. Your idea that people should only listen to music that is an accurate reflection of their own lives

3. Your idea that the lives Lupe lives and/or depicts in his music resemble those of most people that post on SoulStrut

4. Your idea that people's reasons for clowning Lupe have nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he's just not a very good rapper. Seriously--Kanye is much better than this dude

5. You are mad

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Its the only reason anyones given for hatting! I think you can see why I'd get confused.

Its the only reason anyones given for hatting! I think you can see why I'd get confused.

I don't think anybody even accused him of being soft until the thread was on its second page.

Nonetheless, if you are looking for reasons to hate, may I refer you to the goldmine that is "Kick Push II"? In particular, the part where he describes his multicultural skateboarding crew, "a ragtag band of travelling misfits," as he puts it, that includes a wheelchair-bound girl that "just liked to watch". What is this--an afterschool special?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Nonetheless, if you are looking for reasons to hate, may I refer you to the goldmine that is "Kick Push II"? In particular, the part where he describes his multicultural skateboarding crew, "a ragtag band of travelling misfits," as he puts it, that includes a wheelchair-bound girl that "just liked to watch". What is this--an afterschool special?

On a serious note - is Rashied getting pitchfork royalty checks now that Fennessey is throwing around the word "carpetbagger"?

• Gary I don't care about you making fun of g-rap or whatever. I care about you taking personal swipes at individuals on his board because of what they listen to. That is lame.

You spend far more time talking about what other people listen to than imparting any musical knowledge of your own, and it's getting pretty old.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

wack lyrics

NO flow

shitty, boring beats.

still confounded?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

wack lyrics

NO flow

shitty, boring beats.

still confounded?
    You misunderstood, I can see plenty of potential reasons for hatting (although i don't get the 'no flow' thing, if anything he's pretty dexterous) (and keep in mind i've only heard the mixtapes) I was just asking for folks to be upfront about why (which they are now)

And just to clarify before Guzzo or somebody gets mad: I am not at all opposed to raps that explore the experiences of the wheelchair-bound, but I do think that raps that reduce the wheelchair-bound to scenery for an exploration of the experiences of skateboarders are rather cheap.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    (although i don't get the 'no flow' thing, if anything he's pretty dexterous)

so you would classify him as having verbal adroitness?

Would you also consider him a LYRICAL LEVIATHAN?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This is hilarious for a bunch of reasons including, but not limited to:

1. You are mad

I am fuming with rage right now. The tears of frustration are falling on my keyboard as I type, and I fear that the salt may damage the electronics. This is not a very healthy choice for me.

However, I must warn you, I am a member of a Satanic splinter sect, called Jews For Satan, and if you keep angering me I WILL incur the wrath of Satan upon you.

2. Your idea that people should only listen to music that is an accurate reflection of their own lives

Actually, I think some people are afraid to listen to anything "soft" because they are, perhaps, insecure. I understand the need to listen to hardcore shit to make you feel tough. I did the same thing. Granted, I was 13, but still, I can say I've been there and truly empathize. In my day though, the only way to vent that pent up agression was to, I don't know, draw mean pictures of people or something. Kids now are lucky, because you can act like a tough guy wise-ass on a messageboard.

3. Your idea that the lives Lupe lives and/or depicts in his music resemble those of most people that post on SoulStrut

I don't really know how Lupe lives his life. I hope he has dedicated his life to serving our lord and savior, Satan, or perish eternall suffering in Heaven, praise beelzebub.

4. Your idea that people's reasons for clowning Lupe have nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he's just not a very good rapper. Seriously--Kanye is much better than this dude

You're idea that 'not liking radio rap because most of them are not very good rappers is missing the point', is, uh, missing the point, maybe. That was a very difficult sentence to write. And the salt in my keyboard is only making it worse. Seriously.... my mom is much better than Young Jeezy or 50 cent. I actually haven't heard the Lupe album, so I can't say if he's any good or not. But I'm sure he's a nice person, so I wish him the best of luck, praise Satan allmighty.

5. You are mad

I superglued a record to each of my nipples and drew a crossfader between them with a sharpy. I did it while typing this post. How? Because I can type without using my hands. I can use my mental powers to press the keys. I can move any object with my mind. That erection you just got when you typed you last post... I did that. Say Hi to T*nya for me. I just gave her a wedgie.

• Nonetheless, if you are looking for reasons to hate, may I refer you to the goldmine that is "Kick Push II"? In particular, the part where he describes his multicultural skateboarding crew, "a ragtag band of travelling misfits," as he puts it, that includes a wheelchair-bound girl that "just liked to watch". What is this--an afterschool special?

And just to clarify before Guzzo or somebody gets mad: I am not at all opposed to raps that explore the experiences of the wheelchair-bound, but I do think that raps that reduce the wheelchair-bound to scenery for an exploration of the experiences of skateboarders are rather cheap.

HA!

I was having a shitty morning until you ragtag band of misfits
    started posting all this trap, now I am laughing!

It really is like that in Chicago though - lots of multicultural groups
    of teens, lots of wheelchairs and crutches from getting shot or dropped
    out of buildings.

Remember when the Soulstrut band of misfits used to look forward
    to when The Mack was going to get home from school and start posting.

Gary, your new name is Latte Fiasco.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Oh and word to young phon, i hope you can't criticize a musician because he could beat you up is the new you can't criticize a musician because you don't make music. But respect the archaitect - Rashied was throwing around similar ideas when you were still wearing blue bunny suits.

Say Hi to T*nya for me. I just gave her a wedgie.

You're really out of bounds right now.