HIPSTER WHITE GIRLS CALLIN' THEMSLEVES NIGGAS??!!

Comments

• alright. so kinda related.

in japan there's this area called harajuku im sure youve all heard of it cuz that's where all the high school ho's hang out and all the freaky goth french maid freakazoids kick it and shit. anyways, there's a lot of shopping to be had there and the "hip hop" look was big when i was there. so these shops get black dudes to stand out in front of their hip hop shops like some TJ tequila popper maitre d's trying to get you to go into the shop and buy some mark ecko digs. so anyways this one dude starts in on me and im like "i dont understand japanese" and he's like "you american? MY NIGGA!!!!" except the dude had a thick african accent and no lie he sounded like eddie murphy when he does his oomfoofoo impression. this dude was dressed like 50cent with a crisp new era all trying to posture like he was from new york and using american slang and shit which i thought was interesting and funny and sad and odd all at the same time. much like how i felt about japan.

and of course, ive lived in the bay for a while and worked in the rougher parts of town. i got used to the word. and by that i mean it doesnt shock me anymore to hear or be called "nigga" or "chinese nigga" or "that nigga SAYCHEESE" as my kids would call me. its like quotation marks cuz a lot of these kids would start and end each sentence with the n word.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Related point: I saw a bit of Pulp Fiction on Bravo the other day. Whenever Sam Jackson sad the N-word, it got bleeped. However, when Quentin Tarantino did his little rant about "dead (N-word) storage" and "the dead (N-word) in my garage"...unbleeped. What the fuck is that all about?

In some South Park episodes "gay" is bleeped - "Let the twins stay! Canada is bleep!" and others it's not - I guess if it's used as an insult it's bleeped. I like Will Ferrell, but skits built solely on the premise "Hey! I'm rapping and I'm not supposed to!" really got to go, and him using the n-word is just icing on that stale cake.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    What is the proper course of action for white people that like to rap along to hiphop cds and/or lps when they come to a part of the song that uses the referenced epithet?

a) say "Nuh" (and think of ODB)

b) say "Negro"

c) say "radio edit"

d) pause and then continue

e) make "scratched record" sound effect

"Stop rapping along to hip hop cds and/or lps" is not an acceptable answer, but I'll take "stop buying and/or listening to hiphop cds and/or lps".

paging Archaic, Mr HarveyCanal, there is a call for Mr Archaic, please pick up the white courtesy phone...

Why it got to be a white courtesy phone?

• oh, and i still have more problems responding to the "HIP HOP HANDSHAKE" than to the n word. can we just shake hands? i mean, i dont get all the hand shakes and hitting fists and hand jive or whatevers.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    What is the proper course of action for white people that like to rap along to hiphop cds and/or lps when they come to a part of the song that uses the referenced epithet?

a) say "Nuh" (and think of ODB)

b) say "Negro"

c) say "radio edit"

d) pause and then continue

e) make "scratched record" sound effect

"Stop rapping along to hip hop cds and/or lps" is not an acceptable answer, but I'll take "stop buying and/or listening to hiphop cds and/or lps".
    as a cracker myself I say "uhhh" (and think of big). between dj'ing and producing i probably get called the n- bomb more than 20 times a day by a number of people. sometimes i think their testing me, seeing if im gonna drop it...

my friend from back home does it even one better.

he says African Americans.

So when he's listening to Juice (Know The Ledge) it goes: "knockin african americans off, knockin african americans out"

oh, and i still have more problems responding to the "HIP HOP HANDSHAKE" than to the n word. can we just shake hands? i mean, i dont get all the hand shakes and hitting fists and hand jive or whatevers.

It's called a pound man, get wit it

• oh, and i still have more problems responding to the "HIP HOP HANDSHAKE" than to the n word. can we just shake hands? i mean, i dont get all the hand shakes and hitting fists and hand jive or whatevers.

It's called a pound man, get wit it

dude, you know how embarrassing it is for me to watch ali g? i mean, ive been caught trying to shake the pound thing.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    well, I have never heard a grown white girl use the N word, that's some extra wrong stuff, I would call them on it, davidwingate, especially if you are a black man I think your opinion would carry a lot of power and make them think about their words.

As a teacher, I have to try and curb my black students from using the word everyday. "But it's like saying 'friend'!" "I know it is, but we're in school and you can't yell the N word down the hall, it's not appropriate for school". and I can't get into an argument, because I know where they are coming from.

i have to deal with kids saying this as well
    also, i once witnessed another teacher, who is white and a "liberal democrat", during my student teaching days greeting his class by saying "what's up my niggaz?" over and over. half of the class was black. many of them liked it and seemed slightly offended. i wrote this observation down, and told the teacher i felt it was innapropriate. a few days later in the hallway, he asked if he could see my observation jounal. i told him that it was confidential. he seemed really embarrassed. dude was trying so hard to be down, and somehow thought that i wouldn't have any beef with it.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    my friend from back home does it even one better.

he says African Americans.

So when he's listening to Juice (Know The Ledge) it goes: "knockin african americans off, knockin african americans out"

I have a friend who did this too. Hard to get the timing right most of the time, but he had "Shame on a African-American" down pretty good.

• Shit...I remember when I was in Shibuya area of Tokyo and I was walking around the corner up the alley to Cisco Music and this Japanese cat said to me "Hey my nigga check out the new Kay Slay mix CD..shit is hot in the streets of Uptown." I am like word???!!! All I could think to say was FUCK U!!!
    amir

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    That whole scene is bleeps or no.

Yeah, I cringe at that scene, too, and I understand why Spike got mad about it. The only way I've ever been able to square it, though, is from the perspective that, a) these guys are all criminals, b) criminals are not generally nice people and are usually arseholes, and c) that, in my very limited experience amongst them, criminals very rarely like or trust one another, despite what they may say, and may excuse a certain degree of liberty-taking and over-familiarity for the sake of the game, so to speak. I may be giving Tarantino a little more credit here than perhaps he deserves, however.

Shit...I remember when I was in Shibuya area of Tokyo and I was walking around the corner up the alley to Cisco Music and this Japanese cat said to me "Hey my nigga check out the new Kay Slay mix CD..shit is hot in the streets of Uptown." I am like word???!!! All I could think to say was FUCK U!!!
    amir

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

dude, japanese cats are the most clueless ones out there when it comes to trends, they got hipsters beat by MILLENIUMS

• Unfortunate, but tru!!

• did you by chance happen to see japanese kids standing in front of a window in tokyo practicing their "hand movements"? weirdest thing ever. theyd stand there in a group, of course, not really saying anything and just wave their hands around like a air guitar flavor flav. i wouldve stayed there for hours watching them if it werent for the hot ass japanese girlies walking by in their 4 inch skirts. ridiculous!

i also knew a couple really low end yakuza fools and they called themselves "paco" and "dangerous". they had lowriders and the east side vato look down to a t.

• Na I missed that cause I was too busy staring in disbelief at one record store in Shibuya with a Sambo sign in in the window. I went in and dude was all rasta-ed out with inscent burning every where. Shit is crazy over there!! One time I was in Club Harlem..that's right club Harlem in Tokyo and mad japanese chicks were standing there staring like I was ET. My man Ueno said to me if you want one of the them you have to point to them and say come here now!!! Mind Blowin' exp.
    amir

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    ive been caught trying to shake the pound thing.

haaaaaaaa! this is a good visual.

• Na I missed that cause I was too busy staring in disbelief at one record store in Shibuya with a Sambo sign in in the window. I went in and dude was all rasta-ed out with inscent burning every where. Shit is crazy over there!! One time I was in Club Harlem..that's right club Harlem in Tokyo and mad japanese chicks were standing there staring like I was ET. My man Ueno said to me if you want one of the them you have to point to them and say come here now!!! Mind Blowin' exp.
    amir

the swastika and nazi thing was big there too. not like a political thing, but as a fashion statement of sorts.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• you know what was ill was when I went to visit some traditional buddhist temples I saw the swastika every where..I was told it had nothing to do with Nazi Germany tho.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you know what was ill was when I went to visit some traditional buddhist temples I saw the swastika every where..I was told it had nothing to do with Nazi Germany tho.

Nope, the buddhist swastica has been around since god knows when. Its been there forever. the arms actually point the opposite way though. I know when I showed up to korea and saw all those swasticas I was like "What the...?!?!".

• That whole scene is bleeps or no.

Yeah, I cringe at that scene, too, and I understand why Spike got mad about it. The only way I've ever been able to square it, though, is from the perspective that, a) these guys are all criminals, b) criminals are not generally nice people and are usually arseholes, and c) that, in my very limited experience amongst them, criminals very rarely like or trust one another, despite what they may say, and may excuse a certain degree of liberty-taking and over-familiarity for the sake of the game, so to speak. I may be giving Tarantino a little more credit here than perhaps he deserves, however.

Man, I love Pulp Fiction- LOVE that movie- but that scene is a clunker. I seriously think it was QT trying to show he could get away with something, and I feel like he wrote the whole scene with one hand on his cock. It doesn't offend me so much in moral terms, but artistically. Just so overtly trying to push buttons gets my eyes rolling real quick.

• Calling someone out of their name, nickname etc. is totally wack.

In short, to have a word that was used to keep the slaver owners and slaves seperate, physically and pscyhologically, and trimming down to another linguistic form so all peolple use it as a positive connatation is utterly insane. If I am partily wrong or right, please, enlighten me- I know the history of this root word dates back even farther than that.

This world is totally contradictory, always has, always will be- and it's not just the white girls or Japanese. Don't you think that we all have a certain responsiblity to this madness?

• you know what was ill was when I went to visit some traditional buddhist temples I saw the swastika every where..I was told it had nothing to do with Nazi Germany tho.

Nope, the buddhist swastica has been around since god knows when. Its been there forever. the arms actually point the opposite way though. I know when I showed up to korea and saw all those swasticas I was like "What the...?!?!".

yeah man. im talking about the swastika not the buddhist symbol thingie. i think it was part of the uber-punk look cuz i saw a dude with a tshirt and he had a swastika on it all hitler like you know with red background and the shit was in a circle.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Man, I love Pulp Fiction- LOVE that movie- but that scene is a clunker. I seriously think it was QT trying to show he could get away with something, and I feel like he wrote the whole scene with one hand on his cock. It doesn't offend me so much in moral terms, but artistically. Just so overtly trying to push buttons gets my eyes rolling real quick.

Man, i was so totally just about to write just that. you know he had a hard-on while filming that scene. I get the same feeling hearing some of the dialogue he writes for his black characters. It's obviously somehow fulfulling some wanna-be-down hard-ass fantasy he has.

• Shit...I remember when I was in Shibuya area of Tokyo and I was walking around the corner up the alley to Cisco Music and this Japanese cat said to me "Hey my nigga check out the new Kay Slay mix CD..shit is hot in the streets of Uptown." I am like word???!!! All I could think to say was FUCK U!!!
    amir

The fetishizing that some Japanese people do just makes me roll my eyes. Some cornball deejay dude out there gave me a cd it was called "Narita to Brooklyn" and when dude slide it to me it said "NARITA IS A REAL GHETTO. POOREST CITY.". I was like "uh...yeah...arigato". It's still in the shrink wrap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Shit...I remember when I was in Shibuya area of Tokyo and I was walking around the corner up the alley to Cisco Music and this Japanese cat said to me "Hey my nigga check out the new Kay Slay mix CD..shit is hot in the streets of Uptown." I am like word???!!! All I could think to say was FUCK U!!!
    amir

The fetishizing that some Japanese people do just makes me roll my eyes. Some cornball deejay dude out there gave me a cd it was called "Narita to Brooklyn" and when dude slide it to me it said "NARITA IS A REAL GHETTO. POOREST CITY.". I was like "uh...yeah...arigato". It's still in the shrink wrap.

So disconnected from the Local Nipponese Experience.

• yup. young phonics obviously hasnt even been to narita outside of the airport.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    wow, thats a new one on me. as a white b-man that has grown up in hip hop culture since 83 and have many black friends from many different backgrounds, i hate that this is even a topic. however, i don't think there is any clear way of making it stop. maybe the only way is to allow people to use that word and let go of whatever meaning it was given in the first place. if it has no negative meaning when black folks use it, then maybe it shouldn't when white kids use it in the same way. i hear black folks us it all the time and i have been called that by my black friends many many times but its has never prompted me to use it no matter how close i am to the people that use it towards me. i currently live in a house with an 18 year old white suburbanite who spends the better part of his days playing games on the internet and using this word with his friends. i was pretty digusted when i first heard him say it, but how can i explain to him the power and ignorance of this word when he says it? he would get slapped using that word around almost anyone i know but its accepted in his circles. its the times, they're a-changin. as long as brothers are using this word for each other, its only going to give power to the kids who can't tell the difference. since that isn't going to stop, we might as well accept that this is where the world is going. i still hate hearing people say "word" who have nothing to do with the culture that spawned this slang. 2006 is a bitch.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Man, I love Pulp Fiction- LOVE that movie- but that scene is a clunker. I seriously think it was QT trying to show he could get away with something, and I feel like he wrote the whole scene with one hand on his cock. It doesn't offend me so much in moral terms, but artistically. Just so overtly trying to push buttons gets my eyes rolling real quick.[/b]

see, i feel this way about every single thing he's ever done... his movies are like wack mix tapes...

• I cannot accept that shit at all! As I mentioned before, black people are also responsbile for using the word and therfore, excusing others to use it too....but the pain and death that word has caused over hundreds of years in this country cannot be forget or excused because "times are changing." In fact, some would agrue times are changing for the worst!
    amir