Sound Library, NYC Closing?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    . I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

LOL. Dude, the ARC. I love the owner (Jim), but working for him is NOT easy. He's got the antique dealer mindset in a bad way. Most of the work I've done for him has been with 45's, with the occasional stack of albums if they come in while I'm working (which isn't often). He'll ask me to do crazy stuff like divide giant storage boxes of VG- 45s into $3, $5, and $10 piles. I'll typically end up convincing him to put them all in the dollar bins, save for a small stack of $20+ pieces which he puts on ebay.

That place is a thrift store with boutique prices. Kind of made me mad, but I still bought a few things.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Besides, waiting around on listening stations comes with the territory, and it's like bitching about ice cream being cold.

Bullshit. Shops need to check motherfuckers on this shit. These fuckterds must think the library in TSL means public library.

Like five records at a time or ten minutes. These toys with stacks of records are the worst. But this really goes for any store.

Most decent shops will impose limits, but you're still gonna end up waiting sometimes.

Yeah I know. It's also fun to peek over some stinky lil dude's shoulder and say, "Aw man where'd you find that $10 copy of All'N All? That shit is HOT! Do you make beats?"

I'm usually too busy doing the Rain Man twitch in the hope that fools stay at arms' length to be bothered actually talking to anyone.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    . I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

LOL. Dude, the ARC. I love the owner (Jim), but working for him is NOT easy. He's got the antique dealer mindset in a bad way. Most of the work I've done for him has been with 45's, with the occasional stack of albums if they come in while I'm working (which isn't often). He'll ask me to do crazy stuff like divide giant storage boxes of VG- 45s into $3, $5, and $10 piles. I'll typically end up convincing him to put them all in the dollar bins, save for a small stack of $20+ pieces which he puts on ebay.

That place is a thrift store with boutique prices. Kind of made me mad, but I still bought a few things.

If I put in like 3 hours of work for him in an evening, and want to take a couple records home with me for compensation, he'll ask me how much he could get for them on ebay. If I tell him $50 total, he'll charge me $40. No lie. I've tried explaining to him countless times that that's not how the record market works, but he's got a lousy memory. Nice dude, though, seriously.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

ode to tsl?

this is way too much, it's a record store. albeit a great record store, but still this is too ghey.

i can't stand annoying people that are trying hard to be down when i'm trying to record shop. seriously, offering diamond d cookies? hogging up listening stations all drunk and high for hours at a time? let people record shop in peace. you are the reason record stores put up the "please do not practice scratching on the listening station" signs.

if any good comes out of tsl's closing, hopefully it's that it will finally force people like you to find a more suitable venue to practice these idiotic types of activities in.

The only idiotic type of activity I have witnessed here is your decision to contribute to this post.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    in some ways I always sympathized( or at least understood) the frosty behind-the-counter attitude one noticed occasionally at TSL, there were always tonnes of customers fronting really hard in there, namedropping, always talking on their cellphones too loud about their hot beats & big deals, critiquing every record in the bin aloud as they flip through slowly, bringing a 2 foot stack to the listening station...

Don't forget the guys who point at the wall and say they have "like all those old records at home". And they only paid a dollar. Yeah, in VG- with seam splits. Join the club.

TSL got a couple of mofos there but when people use your business as a place to pass time, practice dropping knowlege, and gunk up your wax, you'll get a permanent I know that just from selling a fleamarkets so imagine if you got rent and bills to pay. Considering all that, Jared is the dude of dudes, always happy to recommend shit that's good value, and he'll push mixtapes he digs without being on some Special Friends/latest trends crap.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

ode to tsl?

this is way too much, it's a record store. albeit a great record store, but still this is too ghey.

i can't stand annoying people that are trying hard to be down when i'm trying to record shop. seriously, offering diamond d cookies? hogging up listening stations all drunk and high for hours at a time? let people record shop in peace. you are the reason record stores put up the "please do not practice scratching on the listening station" signs.

if any good comes out of tsl's closing, hopefully it's that it will finally force people like you to find a more suitable venue to practice these idiotic types of activities in.

so speaketh the donger (great name bytheway)
    LOL

And really now, who here, in the '90's, with a bag of cookies at hand, would not have offered one to Diamond D?!?!?
    knowwhatimean!!!! the least i could do for dude! (he declined)
    and of course i wasnt talkinga bout sweating on records or hogging stations if they were both full. but if i was, so the fuck what? bsides speaks the truth!!!!

a--on, youcool up in tibet already? hospital wasnt nothin serious i hope.

peaceyall,t

ps.drew, ima come through with 7 inches (AYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GHEY GHEY GHEY!!!)

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    (he declined)
    I'm kinda surprised by this!

IMG SRC=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/DiamondD_promophoto.jpg>
    You gonna finish those?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    what? what did i say that upset so many people? i can't stand going to tsl and waiting for kids with stacks of records that hog up the listening stations for hours, especially when they walk out without one purchase.

dogz, im looking for some samples, you can wait your fuckin turn you terd. I can just see you ice grilling me like a real collectro fag from the back of the store cause you want to "check the condition" of some sun-ra record you read about in mojo last week. Meanwhile Im high as fuck enjoying a shitload of music. People like you are like walking advertisements for internet digging.

Unless you are Pete Rock you need to quit now.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    dogz, im looking for some samples, you can wait your fuckin turn you terd. I can just see you ice grilling me like a real collectro fag from the back of the store cause you want to "check the condition" of some sun-ra record you read about in mojo last week. Meanwhile Im high as fuck enjoying a shitload of music. People like you are like walking advertisements for internet digging.

LOL

Yeah, this corny "yo son I'm digging for beats like it's 1990" post made me laugh out loud too. Except at him, not with him. And then I felt sorry for him.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts

LOL

Yeah, this corny "yo son I'm digging for beats like it's 1990" post made me laugh out loud too. Except at him, not with him. And then I felt sorry for him.

Face it Donger, B-Sides just Zinged the shit out of you. Producers are still digging..

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    in some ways I always sympathized( or at least understood) the frosty behind-the-counter attitude one noticed occasionally at TSL, there were always tonnes of customers fronting really hard in there, namedropping, always talking on their cellphones too loud about their hot beats & big deals, critiquing every record in the bin aloud as they flip through slowly, bringing a 2 foot stack to the listening station...

This is true. I'd be a lost frostier than those dudes if I had to spend my day interacting with real world versions of the littlest of SoulStrut dudes.

And I've never really understood the hate that they get, because they've always treated me well.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

ode to tsl?

so speaketh the donger (great name bytheway)
    LOL

Thanks!

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Face it Donger, B-Sides just Zinged the shit out of you. Producers are still digging..

If those are records with samples on them, then that is a reasonable stack to listen to.

LOL

fell sorry for yourself for having your nose all assdeep in his business trying to figure out what he's all about.

now donger, plaese to

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    in some ways I always sympathized( or at least understood) the frosty behind-the-counter attitude one noticed occasionally at TSL, there were always tonnes of customers fronting really hard in there, namedropping, always talking on their cellphones too loud about their hot beats & big deals, critiquing every record in the bin aloud as they flip through slowly, bringing a 2 foot stack to the listening station...[/b]

LOL!

Yo this would be a great episode of "Punk'd" (DIGGA EDITION!). You can have the "hey there's a mark on this..can you take 20 bucks off", the "I spent an hour hogging the listening station, but I didn't buy shit or bother to put the records back" and the dude harassing someone over a 7 dollar record and asking "YO IS THIS AN ORIGINAL OR NOT!!"

I've seen the latter happen at Groove Merchant. Some hipster was asking our boy Josh if the 7 dollar copy of bitches brew was original or not. I was thinking "you need to own this record regardless of price and if 7 bucks is too much of a blow, try to cut back on your PBR intake. fucker."

I'm a little guilty of going to O*** **** and taking a fat dump before I get real dusty with it.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I've been known to pause whilst at the listening station and eat a Rawma Bar on the sneak tip. It's nothing.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

LOL

fell sorry for yourself for having your nose all assdeep in his business trying to figure out what he's all about.

now donger, plaese to

OK, as long as no one brings up "mojo", "beatz", or "dogz" again.

in some ways I always sympathized( or at least understood) the frosty behind-the-counter attitude one noticed occasionally at TSL, there were always tonnes of customers fronting really hard in there, namedropping, always talking on their cellphones too loud about their hot beats & big deals, critiquing every record in the bin aloud as they flip through slowly, bringing a 2 foot stack to the listening station...[/b]

LOL!

Yo this would be a great episode of "Punk'd" (DIGGA EDITION!). You can have the "hey there's a mark on this..can you take 20 bucks off", the "I spent an hour hogging the listening station, but I didn't buy shit or bother to put the records back" and the dude harassing someone over a 7 dollar record and asking "YO IS THIS AN ORIGINAL OR NOT!!"

I've probably told this one before, but once at TSL I was witness to some dude picking up the 7" dollar box and carrying it over to the listening station where he proceeded to listen to its entire contents.

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

LOL!

I've probably told this one before, but once at TSL I was witness to some dude picking up the 7" dollar box and carrying it over to the listening station where he proceeded to listen to its entire contents.

lol!

Someone help me out, is The Sound Library the kind of smallish shop with record bins against on the left and right walls when you walk in, a couch (or chairs) at the back, and the elaveted counter (with the listening station directly to the left of the counter)?

Nah, that's Academy--not nearly as controversial a subject.

Nice guys, but these days they seem to put anything good that comes through the door up on the Bay.

• And I've never really understood the hate that they get, because they've always treated me well.

paid well, traded well. Jared was always nice.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i heard from a reliable source that a new store will not be opening.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I am always surprised at the liberty customers take, or are allowed to, in that store. Very rarely do I end up taking something off the wall and putting it in my small stack on the way to the listening station.

I wonder how many records get damaged by customers in the first place. Jonny, how often does that happen at Good?

In a store like TSL, I'd expect some kind of "employee only" wall access and latex glove policy. Has anyone ever seen a customer get called out for their actions handling records in there?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I don't use listening stations when I'm in shops like GRNYC, TSL, etc,. I put myself in the shoes of the owner and ask myself, "Would I want someone to put their fingerprints all over my minty copy of (insert whatever raer here)??" Of course not.

Just buy the record and keep it moving.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have no problem w/ listening stations, but sometimes cats just abuse the privlege.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when people got huge stacks of records at listening stations i just stand right on top of them like im breathing on their neck. most people leave within a few minutes if not instantly

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    when people got huge stacks of records at listening stations i just stand right on top of them like im breathing on their neck. most people leave within a few minutes if not instantly

I hear that, but u shouldnt have to apply pressure like that. Cats need some manners. If the shop is empty on a tuesday afternoon - I can see that. But a crowded Saturday is just str8 silliness.

I don't use listening stations when I'm in shops like GRNYC, TSL, etc,. I put myself in the shoes of the owner and ask myself, "Would I want someone to put their fingerprints all over my minty copy of (insert whatever raer here)??" Of course not.

Just buy the record and keep it moving.

maaaaan, i keep myself in the shoes of the customer and ask myself, " do i want to spend a hunny on this wall record?" If i worked in ashop, i would have eagle eyes on those pulling wall records out, though.

and as far as stacks and stacks at the listening station, i am not an advocate. pull a couple out, listen to them. put them back. get a couple more. let others on the station. etc.

Stores without listening stations = weaksauce