Sound Library, NYC Closing?

Comments

• what a douche bag.

seriously. fall back, donger.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Hey Donger, Lighten the fuck up! What's wrong with having a good time whilst buying records. Hell you wanna offer me a cookie i'll crunch that shit and drop crumbs all over your rears

starting with "ODE TO TSL" - May be a little ghey but c'mon, just cus the cookie monster can't eat cookies doesn't mean diamond d can't.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hell you wanna offer me a cookie i'll crunch that shit and drop crumbs all over your rears

AYO!!!!! MISTER!!!!! NO HOMO!!!!!!!

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Freudian slip right thurr!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Freudian slip right thurr!

LOL! U crazy Wooshie.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I don't think we've seen the last of TSL. That said, I've had a love / hate relationship with them over the years. Hate only coming from Jared's and I's infamous Sweetwater eBay head to head (and seeing those limey bastards dig my neck of the woods for stock).

As a record store, top notch. I always made it a point to hit them up when I was in town. Great shit in the bins at all times with the occasional steal. A place to learn (hence the "Library" in the title) Their records always in top notch condition, store clean, and I got to dig next to rap superstars (Q-Tip, Warren G, Beatdawg, Ken Sport ) That shop gave me the feeling that I wasn't a glorified comic book collector for once.

As for donger's comments, eat a donger, dude.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    what? what did i say that upset so many people? i can't stand going to tsl and waiting for kids with stacks of records that hog up the listening stations for hours, especially when they walk out without one purchase.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

hogging up listening stations all drunk and high for hours at a time?

so that's why they had 4 or 5 stations set up .........

not to gey it up more, but the opening of tsl did generate some life in
    the nyc (& les) record buying experience, sort of one stop shopping,
    for a price, even if sometimes salty or robotic and raer.

and what's up with all this good records praise,
    so dude has loads of underpriced rare records,
    so he's super chill & will buy you a beer
    & not give you the bum's rush,
    no more peeps need to be stepping there
    to buy out records out from under me

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

and what's up with all this good records praise,
    so dude has loads of underpriced rare records,
    so he's super chill & will buy you a beer
    & not give you the bum's rush,
    no more peeps need to be stepping there
    to buy out records out from under me

Sorry, man. IOU 1 Marching Band Record w/ crazy snare breakz.

edit: added smiley face to denote no sarc.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    what? what did i say that upset so many people? i can't stand going to tsl and waiting for kids with stacks of records that hog up the listening stations for hours, especially when they walk out without one purchase.

I think what might have rankled with people is your implicit suggestion that tripledouble is just some kid that hogs up the listening station. Not so, dude. Besides, waiting around on listening stations comes with the territory, and it's like bitching about ice cream being cold. This is why, when I go to spots at busy times, I stick to getting what I came for and getting out.

I hear ya on that, but tony gets a free pass. He has done ALOT for the record digging community (even if he is a thrifty bastard).

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Because your post not only attacked one of the best-respected vets of this board (and possibly one of the nicest people you're ever likely to meet), but it also implied that your entry into the record games was made with some sort of magical warp flute that obviated the listening to stacks and stacks of records to establish your own personal tastes. Stop frontin'!!! We were all there once hommie. And you know what? The kids today that try hard to be down are some of my favorites, 'cause they allow me to drop that rare bit of well-appreciated knowledge that momentarily justifies what, by most standards, has become a completely unhealthy obsession. Just sayin'.

And really now, who here, in the '90's, with a bag of cookies at hand, would not have offered one to Diamond D?!?!?

p.s. hey dudes!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but the opening of tsl did generate some life in the nyc (& les) record buying experience

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    some sort of magical warp flute

--------

Because your post not only attacked one of the best-respected vets of this board (and possibly one of the nicest people you're ever likely to meet), but it also implied that your entry into the record games was made with some sort of magical warp flute that obviated the listening to stacks and stacks of records to establish your own personal tastes. Stop frontin'!!! We were all there once hommie. And you know what? The kids today that try hard to be down are some of my favorites, 'cause they allow me to drop that rare bit of well-appreciated knowledge that momentarily justifies what, by most standards, has become a completely unhealthy obsession. Just sayin'.

And really now, who here, in the '90's, with a bag of cookies at hand, would not have offered one to Diamond D?!?!?

p.s. hey dudes!

Sup Aaron? Otis and I missed you in Detroit by a few days.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i was just wondering how a genre specific store could be the greatest store in north america. the world of rare records is so vast and amazingly interesting. it's not about soul-jazz, breaks and 12 " singles anymore. thats all.

Atomic Records
    3818 W. Magnolia Blvd.
    Burbank, Ca. 91505

Big dudes know the deal.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    p.s. hey dudes!

even in Lhasa this man cannot stay away from Soulstrut!!!

---

Besides, waiting around on listening stations comes with the territory, and it's like bitching about ice cream being cold.

Bullshit. Shops need to check motherfuckers on this shit. These fuckterds must think the library in TSL means public library.

Like five records at a time or ten minutes. These toys with stacks of records are the worst. But this really goes for any store.

p.s. hey dudes!

Hey Rick! Yeah, I was bummed to hear that from (the other) Aaron. I trust your visit this summer was more fruitful than your last excursion to the D? I still feel bad about that boner of a trip.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

dogz, im looking for some samples, you can wait your fuckin turn you terd. I can just see you ice grilling me like a real collectro fag from the back of the store cause you want to "check the condition" of some sun-ra record you read about in mojo last week. Meanwhile Im high as fuck enjoying a shitload of music. People like you are like walking advertisements for internet digging.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Because your post not only attacked one of the best-respected vets of this board (and possibly one of the nicest people you're ever likely to meet).

p.s. hey dudes!

TRIPLE TRUE.

And not to beat the horse, but dis the triplephilahobo and you straight-up dis yourself. Anyone who's ever met him knows that's what's real.

I have A MILLION great anecdotes from my nearly three years of local hommieship with the dude and not a single one of them is tainted with negativity. So, watch yourself.

P.S. - We're doing all 45 sets at the shop Friday night Tone, so swing thru with a stack!

P.S.S. - HEY A****!!!

p.s. hey dudes!

even in Lhasa this man cannot stay away from Soulstrut!!!

---

fresh out the hospital, onto the Strut.

p.s. hey dudes!

Hey Rick! Yeah, I was bummed to hear that from (the other) Aaron. I trust your visit this summer was more fruitful than your last excursion to the D? I still feel bad about that boner of a trip.

Steve and I set out more for a bug out session this time around.. Came up on some records had a good time... soaked up the ever entertaining Detroit record scene. I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

in some ways I always sympathized( or at least understood) the frosty behind-the-counter attitude one noticed occasionally at TSL, there were always tonnes of customers fronting really hard in there, namedropping, always talking on their cellphones too loud about their hot beats & big deals, critiquing every record in the bin aloud as they flip through slowly, bringing a 2 foot stack to the listening station...

soaked up the ever entertaining Detroit record scene. I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

actually, Iggy Pop is on the case over there now...

aarons turf has been moved on!

---

dogz, im looking for some samples, you can wait your fuckin turn you terd. I can just see you ice grilling me like a real collectro fag from the back of the store cause you want to "check the condition" of some sun-ra record you read about in mojo last week. Meanwhile Im high as fuck enjoying a shitload of music. People like you are like walking advertisements for internet digging.

LOL

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Besides, waiting around on listening stations comes with the territory, and it's like bitching about ice cream being cold.

Bullshit. Shops need to check motherfuckers on this shit. These fuckterds must think the library in TSL means public library.

Like five records at a time or ten minutes. These toys with stacks of records are the worst. But this really goes for any store.

Most decent shops will impose limits, but you're still gonna end up waiting sometimes.

. I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

LOL. Dude, the ARC. I love the owner (Jim), but working for him is NOT easy. He's got the antique dealer mindset in a bad way. Most of the work I've done for him has been with 45's, with the occasional stack of albums if they come in while I'm working (which isn't often). He'll ask me to do crazy stuff like divide giant storage boxes of VG- 45s into $3, $5, and $10 piles. I'll typically end up convincing him to put them all in the dollar bins, save for a small stack of $20+ pieces which he puts on ebay.

soaked up the ever entertaining Detroit record scene. I'm told you are the one responsible for some of those mickey mouse prices at the ARC.

actually, Iggy Pop is on the case over there now...

aarons turf has been moved on!

---

nah, son! He's got the 45's waiting for me when I get back...or so I'm told. Don't forget that love's got a piece of your mind.

Most decent shops will impose limits, but you're still gonna end up waiting sometimes.

Yeah I know. It's also fun to peek over some stinky lil dude's shoulder and say, "Aw man where'd you find that $10 copy of All'N All? That shit is HOT! Do you make beats?"