Sound Library, NYC Closing?

Comments

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    Disco is second but disco still sells pretty well.

You and Donger have to STOP! NOW!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I am not getting within 50 feet of the rumour mill so have at it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Dudes have reportedly made beats from little soundclips they downloaded right off of my World Of Beats site!!! Brothers and sisters, I don't know what this world is coming to.
    You gotta get paid off that shit, man! Get some executive producer credits of something.

The mp3 sampling thing is whatever, but the stuff you are downloading first has to be known and someone has to have encoded it to mp3. You will not be coming up with anything incredibly original by sampling mp3s but that's a whole nother discussion.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Who's turning down Tribesman Assault, Donna Corbett, Nairobi Sisters, Don Carrington, to you face? Not gonna happen.

cough cough. K, all these available?

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts

Who's turning down Tribesman Assault, Donna Corbett, Nairobi Sisters, Don Carrington, to you face? Not gonna happen.

i need a clean copy of nariobi sisters...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

i need a clean copy of nariobi sisters...

Me too plaese. Tribesman too.

Rob & Steve had a falling out. I think Rob is supposed to open a new store. This is sad news. TSL was the greatest record shop in North America in their part of the East Village.

Obviously, someone has not been to:

• Rob & Steve had a falling out. I think Rob is supposed to open a new store. This is sad news. TSL was the greatest record shop in North America in their part of the East Village.

*liver, while I'd rather hang with Cool Chris than with Un-Chill Rob any day, I don't think Groove Merchant has ever been in the same league as TSL as far as quality or depth of stock. I'm sorry to hear they're closing.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Rob & Steve had a falling out. I think Rob is supposed to open a new store. This is sad news. TSL was the greatest record shop in North America in their part of the East Village.

*liver, while I'd rather hang with Cool Chris than with Un-Chill Rob any day, I don't think Groove Merchant has ever been in the same league as TSL as far as quality or depth of stock. I'm sorry to hear they're closing.

I haven't had much dealings with GM. One of our own works there, and dude is a class act & knows his stuff, so I can't front on the store. I have to get out to SF one day. I still wish TSL wasn't closing, tho. The greatest compliment I could pay to any record shop owner is to say "This place is almost as good as The Sound Library."

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

I haven't had much dealings with GM. One of our own works there, and dude is a class act & knows his stuff, so I can't front on the store. I have to get out to SF one day. I still wish TSL wasn't closing, tho. The greatest compliment I could pay to any record shop owner is to say "This place is almost as good as The Sound Library."

Jesus, when's the Pony Express going to reach the boonies? TSL isn't closing. The lease is up, there's been a parting of ways = net gain of one record store.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i was in tsl 3 wks ago. they told me one of the partners lost interest. they told me their lease is up in aug. they told me it would be too expensive to stay at the same locations so they would find a new location with a cheaper lease. so there. maybe it will have a different name but it will still be the same store in a different area. and for the record i prefer groove merchant but gladly support both stores. peace, stein. . .

So am I - don't get me wrong. I'm just looking out for the hometeam

But seriously, while Chris can't compete on some levels (being in SF is going to be far harder than being in NYC), in terms of the overall shopping experience? GM > TSL. I rather think it maps onto the diff. b/t living in SF vs. NYC. Comfort vs. amenities.

• Rob & Steve had a falling out. I think Rob is supposed to open a new store. This is sad news. TSL was the greatest record shop in North America in their part of the East Village.

I'm glad someone finally said something.

• i was in tsl 3 wks ago. they told me one of the partners lost interest. they told me their lease is up in aug. they told me it would be too expensive to stay at the same locations so they would find a new location with a cheaper lease. so there. maybe it will have a different name but it will still be the same store in a different area. and for the record i prefer groove merchant but gladly support both stores. peace, stein. . .

Agreed...enough with corny rumors. I was there on Sunday and the dude said that they are looking at a place on E. 12th between A&B (literally down the street) and will move in late August. The only issue was the lease was up and the rent increased significantly higher...that's all!!!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The only issue was the lease was up and the rent increased significantly higher...that's all!!!

As noted in the post you quoted, that wasn't the only issue

• well...point being is that they aren't closing just moving

• TSL was the greatest record shop in North America.

oh lord

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    TSL was the greatest record shop in North America.

oh lord

Perhaps I should qualify this - You know what made this store great to me? Well, I've been into collectibles of various kinds for years & I've met all kinds of crazy weirdos who were always trying to sell me crap. I've seen all kinds of scams & dealt with many unsavory types. When I bought records from TSL, there was never any BS. I never had to send a record back because it was misgraded & never had to argue over jack move. To me, they're the best. They're to retail what you're to ebay. No headaches, just quality product in abundance.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    eh, give me crotchety, smelly old men that have no idea what is any day.

• i was just wondering how a genre specific store could be the greatest store in north america. the world of rare records is so vast and amazingly interesting. it's not about soul-jazz, breaks and 12 " singles anymore. thats all.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    i was just wondering how a genre specific store could be the greatest store in north america. the world of rare records is so vast and amazingly interesting. it's not about soul-jazz, breaks and 12 " singles anymore. thats all.

was going to post something similar to this..

Been there 3 times, and they never really had anything to satisfy my tastes in music. I like soul and funk as much as the next man, and they had great titles, but as far as nice psychedelic records or folk, world music, oddities, etc. they weren't doing anything for me. Still, their selection for what they specialize in is probobly unmatched outside of a few Japanese shops probobly.

I think the criteria for a "greatest record store" would have to include a "chill factor". TSL isnt' the kind of place you can go in the back and smoke a doober with the owner, or kick around for a couple hours talkin about music or shooting the shit, etc. Its a get-in and get-out kind of atmosphere in there, which is perfectly fine, but I prefer a place like Groove Merchant where the variety in music is excellent, the owner is always cordial and laid back, and actually enjoys conversing with his customers (Im not saying TSL isnt like this, but it was the opposite for me).

I hate record stores that feel "cold", and TSL is kinda like that for me. Even Dustyy Grooves physical store has more of a laidback feel, and the owner there is one of the most clean cut, hard nosed, semi-tightassed record dudes in the business.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i was just wondering how a genre specific store could be the greatest store in north america. the world of rare records is so vast and amazingly interesting. it's not about soul-jazz, breaks and 12 " singles anymore. thats all.

I think the criteria for a "greatest record store" would have to include a "chill factor". TSL isnt' the kind of place you can go in the back and smoke a doober with the owner, or kick around for a couple hours talkin about music or shooting the shit, etc. Its a get-in and get-out kind of atmosphere in there,

ODE to TSL

when i first started going to TSL, id stop by there after playing ball in tompkins square park. id be all sweaty and disheveled and id stay in the store for a couple hours listening to stacks and stacks of dope records and id usually spend about twelve bucks. rob the robot would stare at the wall, steve and mike would make a couple wisecrakes and jared would clean records diligently and be super profesional and calm. i was never hurried or treated in a ill fashion.
    i never spent a significant amount of dough in the store, never brought up amazing trades for them and i'm definitely not a player in the music industry. but they always asked how things were going in philly, asked how i was doing and joked around (except for rob who just continued to stare at the walls).
    ive been in there stone drunk after my friends funeral, been in there with rum and cokes and beers, high off my ass, ive been through there with at least 4 past girlfriends and once offered diamond d some homemade cookies this girl baked for me. jared was the first person who pushed me and my boys mixtape a while back. they got no reason to treat me like a friend, but they always have. ive caught a lot of things there at decent prices and learned about a hell of a lot more in the process.

big big props to tsl. a mighty mighty run for a world class record spot.

but all good things come to an end and i look forwad to seeing the next incarnations.

-t

• when i first started going to TSL, id stop by there after playing ball in tompkins square park. id be all sweaty and disheveled and id stay in the store for a couple hours listening to stacks and stacks of dope records and id usually spend about twelve bucks. rob the robot would stare at the wall, steve and mike would make a couple wisecrakes and jared would clean records diligently and be super profesional and calm. i was never hurried or treated in a ill fashion.
    i never spent a significant amount of dough in the store, never brought up amazing trades for them and i'm definitely not a player in the music industry. but they always asked how things were going in philly, asked how i was doing and joked around (except for rob who just continued to stare at the walls).
    ive been in there stone drunk after my friends funeral, been in there with rum and cokes and beers, high off my ass, ive been through there with at least 4 past girlfriends and once offered diamond d some homemade cookies this girl baked for me. jared was the first person who pushed me and my boys mixtape a while back. they got no reason to treat me like a friend, but they always have. ive caught a lot of things there at decent prices and learned about a hell of a lot more in the process.

but all good things come to an end and i look forwad to seeing the next incarnations.

-t

This message brought to you by the committee to resurrect the rotten reputation of TSL

• just kidding

• ZuffNomedZuffNomed 42 Posts

Respect fucking due.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

ODE to TSL

when i first started going to TSL, id stop by there after playing ball in tompkins square park. id be all sweaty and disheveled and id stay in the store for a couple hours listening to stacks and stacks of dope records and id usually spend about twelve bucks. rob the robot would stare at the wall, steve and mike would make a couple wisecrakes and jared would clean records diligently and be super profesional and calm. i was never hurried or treated in a ill fashion.

-t

WORD!

In the past, I've posted some negative comments about TSL but in retrospect, I have been grateful to shop there. I got so many ill records from there. I started getting real serious about collecting after going there.
    Too bad they are closing their doors.

New York do have GRNYC though!

• I think the criteria for a "greatest record store" would have to include a "chill factor"...

I haven't been to Groove Merchant. But for NY stores, Good Records wins the prize for "chill factor"... and they have the

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

ODE to TSL

-t

ode to tsl?

this is way too much, it's a record store. albeit a great record store, but still this is too ghey.

i can't stand annoying people that are trying hard to be down when i'm trying to record shop. seriously, offering diamond d cookies? hogging up listening stations all drunk and high for hours at a time? let people record shop in peace. you are the reason record stores put up the "please do not practice scratching on the listening station" signs.

if any good comes out of tsl's closing, hopefully it's that it will finally force people like you to find a more suitable venue to practice these idiotic types of activities in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    what a douche bag.

• I think the criteria for a "greatest record store" would have to include a "chill factor"...

I haven't been to Groove Merchant. But for NY stores, Good Records wins the prize for "chill factor"... and they have the

I went to Groove Merchant for the first time in years last week. Never met Cool Chris before but as soon as I stopped in he had some friendly conversation for me, showed me some amazing raers and even recommended a good BBQ spot for my girl and I to eat at.

Hands down one of the best record store experiences I ever had.