Texas school district bans grillz

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

But that's probably what the teachers and administrators are after...so they should thank y'all for your support.

EGADS!! You're right!! It's another conspiracy.

Ok... I agree with you now.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    If you leave school cause you can't floss your grill, then... well, you're a tool

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    How does a gold grill equate to guns and drugs?

I think he was illustrating that things which are acceptable outside of school are certainly not acceptable inside school. Guns, tobacco and alcohol are all legal outside of school but are certainly inappropriate inside school. He's right, though.

As someone who has taught how did you deal with distracting elements in the classroom? If grills were, in fact, a distracting element how would you deal with them?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you leave school cause you can't floss your grill, then... well, you're a tool

They're leaving because they can't floss their grills, can't speak their minds, can't learn what they'd like to nor need to learn, etc. It's a cumulative message being sent to a certain segment of society that is very real and destructive.

Getting rid of these so-called distractions will only keep many kids from even attending school.

How so?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sorry I missed this thread. It looks like you guys have been having fun with it.

I heard a quote once that went something like this:

Through out history, every generation believes their generation has more freedom than the previous generation, and that the younger generation has too much freedom

If someone can find the original quote I would be grateful.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Parents lack of discipline in the home, not encouraging kids to learn and not teaching kids to respect adults[/b] will only keep many kids from even attending school.

They're leaving because they can't floss their grills, can't speak their minds, can't learn what they'd like to nor need to learn, etc. It's a cumulative message being sent to a certain segment of society that is very real and destructive.

That cumulative message is "I AM A TOOL"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I think he was illustrating that things which are acceptable outside of school are certainly not acceptable inside school. Guns, tobacco and alcohol are all legal outside of school but are certainly inappropriate inside school. He's right, though.

As someone who has taught how did you deal with distracting elements in the classroom? If grills were, in fact, a distracting element how would you deal with them?

I'd make every kid with a grill meet harvey canal and then tell them ol' harvey thinks grills are the coolest, kids! garunteed those kids would never be caught dead with a grill in their mouth again.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I'll just put this out there and then I'm off to have some fun.

August 2000 (Newstream) -- This fall, more public schools will turn to student uniforms to reduce the teasing and bullying that can lead to the kind of hostility and tension feared by many parents, educators and kids today.

"School kids are usually ridiculed if they aren't wearing the right brand of peer-approved clothes. In some cases, this rejection can lead to aggressive evil acts or suicide," notes family therapist Carleton Kendrick of familyeducation.com.

The biggest news, to date, comes from New York City public schools where police department statistics report overall school crime down 14.7 percent in 2000.
    After a year of dress codes, New York students are reported to have improved in everything from tolerance and a sense of belonging, to increased safety and academic performance, according to a new study by frenchtoast.com.

Among other benefits, the study showed:

68 percent of parents think the uniforms helped improve the school's overall academic performance
    84 percent of parents say uniforms promote equality between boys and girls and 88 percent thought they reduced boy/girl teasing
    89 percent of guidance counselors say uniforms teach children to be more accepting of less fortunate kids
    89 percent of guidance counselors thought uniforms prepare kids for an eventual work environment Girls (80 percent) liked wearing the uniforms more than boys (62 percent) and 63 percent of teens age 14 and over thought uniforms reduced teasing
    59 percent of guidance counselors say the uniform policy made for a safer learning environment

Is that racist? Condescending?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    p.s.

Still can't stand Harv after all these years. People like you disgust me. Seriously. Get over yourself.

I taught elementary school kids and unfortunately it was Ritlan that was most often used to fix problems of distraction. But actually, it's all about redirection. You can't just take something away from a child and not expect a bigger problem. You have to offer an alternative that the kids perceive as worthy of forgetting about their grills, at least for that moment.

Harvey , since when are kids not allowed to speak their mind in school?...oh yeah, they are "forced" to speak their mind via careful comparisons between cultural differences, proving their opinions after studying concepts, scientific processes, writing persuaive papers, investigating and writing about issues in the school paper...these damn schools are so damn "culturally insensitive" to letting kids do these things and not letting a kid wear a grill and "express" themsleves by telling a teacher to go fuck themsleves...these damn acadmeic processes!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

That cumulative message is "I AM A TOOL"

Damn it Jon... making me laugh out loud at work and shit!

The only school I ever attended that required us to wear uniforms had 750% more fights than any school that I ever attended that had little-to-no dress code.

Why? Because the teachers at that school turned a blind eye to fighting. They'd just let us duke it out with hundreds of kids cheering the fights on.

In other words, it had nothing to do with what we were or weren't wearing. It had everything to do with what the teachers were or weren't doing.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    The only school I ever attended that required us to wear uniforms had 750% more fights than any school that I ever attended that had little-to-no dress code.

that's quite a figure.

source? link or you're soft.

Mutually Exclusive.

I taught elementary school kids and unfortunately it was Ritlan that was most often used to fix problems of distraction. But actually, it's all about redirection. You can't just take something away from a child and not expect a bigger problem. You have to offer an alternative that the kids perceive as worthy of forgetting about their grills, at least for that moment.

Can you give a real world example of how this worked?

Harvey , since when are kids not allowed to speak their mind in school?...oh yeah, they are "forced" to speak their mind via careful comparisons between cultural differences, proving their opinions after studying concepts, scientific processes, writing persuaive papers, investigating and writing about issues in the school paper...these damn schools are so damn "culturally insensitive" to letting kids do these things and not letting a kid wear a grill and "express" themsleves by telling a teacher to go fuck themsleves...these damn acadmeic processes!

How about a scenario such as being sent to the principal's office for questioning a culturally-insensitive version of history being served up in the classroom?

How about wanting to protest the presence of military recruiters in school cafeterias?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I am a Administrator in the Cleveland Municipal School District my main function/job duty is to hold Due Process Expulsion Hearings using the Ohio Revised Code and Student Code of Conduct... I have held about 20 or so hearings this year stemming from "grills" in some cases students were robbed for this particular item or someone stole someone elses grill. I invite anyone that's in or will be in the Cleveland, Ohio area to sit in on one of my hearings esp those who think students should be able to rock grills etc etc ie. Harvey.....

How about a unit in social studies on the effects that gold grill purchasing in the US has on societies in that export the gold?

How about having an English class write some rhymes about gold grills?

How about in business studies going through the details of what it would take to run a successful gold grill shop?

The possibilities are endless...

How about a unit in social studies on the effects that gold grill purchasing in the US has on societies in that export the gold?

How about in business studies going through the details of what it would take to run a successful gold grill shop?

I don't understand how, with ideas like these, you are not president of the world

• How does a gold grill equate to guns and drugs?

The possibilities are insane[/b]....

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I have held about 20 or so hearings this year stemming from "grills" in some cases students were robbed for this particular item or someone stole someone elses grill. I invite anyone that's in or will be in the Cleveland, Ohio area to sit in on one of my hearings esp those who think students should be able to rock grills etc etc ie. Harvey.....

I am a Administrator in the Cleveland Municipal School District my main function/job duty is to hold Due Process Expulsion Hearings using the Ohio Revised Code and Student Code of Conduct... I have held about 20 or so hearings this year stemming from "grills" in some cases students were robbed for this particular item or someone stole someone elses grill. I invite anyone that's in or will be in the Cleveland, Ohio area to sit in on one of my hearings esp those who think students should be able to rock grills etc etc ie. Harvey.....

So I suppose that banning wallets and purses is next?

Why? Because the teachers at that school turned a blind eye to fighting. They'd just let us duke it out with hundreds of kids cheering the fights on.

In other words, it had nothing to do with what we were or weren't wearing. It had everything to do with what the teachers were or weren't doing.

Well, most teachers hands are tied in even touching a student, even trying to grab a student to stop them from fighting. When most school districts have a "no touching" policy, what is a teacher supposed to do? You cant even keep a kid after school hours in a lot of districts. Most disciplinary measures in schools only allow a kid "to be written up", sent to an assitant principal to tell them "do this agian and we will have to have your parent come in", then the kid does it again, the parent is called in...the parent is pissed off for having to miss work (not at the kid or his/her behavior, but at the school for making them come in) then the kid is "suspended" or given a free three-day vacation...then allowed back in to school. what were the consequences to his/her bad behavior? A vacation. Where is the discipline? Shit, you cant even make a a bad behaving kid pick up garbage in the parking lot because it is considered "humiliating"...a PE teacher cant even make a kid do extra physical tasks because it is considered "humiliating"...teachers hands are tied...times have changed for the worst.

So I suppose that banning wallets and purses is next?

How did this go from gold grillz to wallets and purses?

its a complete distraction to the learning process....cats are straight up robbing other cats for em (at gun point) dont believe me take me up on my offer matter of fact you can sit though a whole day with me and see and hear some the bullshit thats goes on in school.

Well, most teachers hands are tied in even touching a student, even trying to grab a student to stop them from fighting. When most school districts have a "no touching" policy, what is a teacher supposed to do? You cant even keep a kid after school hours in a lot of districts. Most disciplinary measures in schools only allow a kid "to be written up", sent to an assitant principal to tell them "do this agian and we will have to have your parent come in", then the kid does it again, the parent is called in...the parent is pissed off for having to miss work (not at the kid or his/her behavior, but at the school for making them come in) then the kid is "suspended" or given a free three-day vacation...then allowed back in to school. what were the consequences to his/her bad behavior? A vacation. Where is the discipline? Shit, you cant even make a a bad behaving kid pick up garbage in the parking lot because it is considered "humiliating"...a PE teacher cant even make a kid do extra physical tasks because it is considered "humiliating"...teachers hands are tied...times have changed for the worst.

I don't know man. At that same school the teachers were known to strike students with rulers and shit. And we stayed rotten to the core. I had this one math teacher who would lift you out of your desk by the back of your scalp if you didn't get answers correct. Yet the fights remained incessant.

I have held about 20 or so hearings this year stemming from "grills" in some cases students were robbed for this particular item or someone stole someone elses grill. I invite anyone that's in or will be in the Cleveland, Ohio area to sit in on one of my hearings esp those who think students should be able to rock grills etc etc ie. Harvey.....

damn I am a black cat holding Expulsion Hearings in predominatly black school district and I am racist??? You cant be serious or is it racist because you should be able to rock your girll its a cultural thing... I missed that one

How about a scenario such as being sent to the principal's office for questioning a culturally-insensitive version of history being served up in the classroom?

How about wanting to protest the presence of military recruiters in school cafeterias?

How was the student questioning the history lesson? Did he or she debate it in an academic way? Or did the student say something to the effect of " this is fucked up, or this is a bunch of bullshit?" If the student debated it in an academic way, I really doubt he or she would be disciplined for that. I can seeing them sent to the prinicipals office for speaking disrespectfully....

I can see a school wanting to quiet a student wanting to protest the military in this day and age however...that is wrong...but I dont see how this parallels the "culturally insensitive" argument.