Texas school district bans grillz

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I wonder where y'all stand on bilingual education. Please don't tell me that we should force every student to wear the uniform of the Queen's English?

But back to grills...how about braces with headgear? Or how about any braces that require rubber bands. I know that I used to shoot mine across the classroom. Should we add those to the ban list as well?

And what if a student gets a permanent grill? And what about capped teeth?

Should stylish haircuts be banned next?

But ultimately, how does any of this change a damned thing about learning?

Y'all are following the lead of cultural insensitivity disguised as benevolent paternalism.

Please stop.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Fine, just keep entertaining the excuses of lazy, unimaginative losers who are dumbing down our kids as fast as possible with their litany of culturally insensitive and condescending rules overriding their ability to inspire anyone to do anything but sit down and shut up.

haha. dude.

decaf.

What about the kids who are dumb to start with and/or have parents that are even dumber? Kids don't NEED grillz in their mouth, cell phones/text messengers in their hands, or designer gear while they are in a classroom. Period. Collect the shit at the door, make 'em wear uniforms and worry about the teacher's qualifications in another thread.

Seriously, give the kids something to bitch about during study hall and leave it at that.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    culturally insensitive and condescending rules

THATS what I was waiting for in this thread.... I'm suprised it took this long....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Collect the shit at the door, make 'em wear uniformtards and worry about the teacher's qualifications in another thread.

THATS what I was waiting for in this thread.... I'm suprised it took this long....

What about the kids who are dumb to start with and/or have parents that are even dumber? Kids don't NEED grillz in their mouth, cell phones/text messengers in their hands, or designer gear while they are in a classroom. Period. Collect the shit at the door, make 'em wear uniforms and worry about the teacher's qualifications in another thread.

Seriously, give the kids something to bitch about during study hall and leave it at that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Robert have you ever taught professionally?

Yes.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What are you talking about? Schooling us is a fulltime job for the boy!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    if the schools can't handle grillz, then we should close down the schools!!

The problem sure ain't kid-induced. That's my point here. I'm so tired of hearing teachers and administrators explain away their own ineptitudes by blaming the kids for everything.

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years, and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

Kinda missing the forest for the trees a little bit (a lot).

Fine, just keep entertaining the excuses of lazy, unimaginative losers who are dumbing down our kids as fast as possible with their litany of culturally insensitive and condescending rules overriding their ability to inspire anyone to do anything but sit down and shut up.

Are you a parent?

Are you a teacher?

Wondering what basis you're making these statements on.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

Uhhhhhh OK. I'm sure its really easy, I can't beleive they didn't think of that.

There are a ton of really shitty teachers out there that all too easily give up on their students based on some sort of cultural gap.

There are many right in my neighborhood at Reagan High School. I and many, many others say fire them ASAP.

Well I agree that there are a lot of shitty teachers out there. I can only think of a handful growing up that were really good teachers. But I don't think being a good teacher is something you can learn, like being a banker or something. Its a talent that you either have or you don't. And I think there aren't enough people out there with that talent to fire the mediocre teachers.

I couldn't disagree more about this. The shitty teachers need to be replaced by the plentitudes of perfectly viable teaching applicants that get turned away for not meeting some frivolous bureaucratic requirement.

I have to agree...I worked for 10 years in the Texas School system...without a teacher certificate, I have a Bachelor's in Education and a minor in Biology...The Memphis City Schools is whining about needing MALE SCIENCE TEACHERS, I apply and I was rejected in the first round because I didnt have a teaching certificate...my degree and experience meant nothing to a school district that has only a 51% GRADUATION RATE. Something is wrong with this.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What culture is that insensitive to? the consumer culture?

The problem sure ain't kid-induced. That's my point here. I'm so tired of hearing teachers and administrators explain away their own ineptitudes by blaming the kids for everything.

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years[/b], and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

They have worked for years to achieve what, specifically?

Improve test scores. Reduce violence.

kids wanting to look like their heroes they see on MTV cribs is not "cultural", no more "cultural" than my wanting to be Nikki Sixx when I was 12 years old.

When I said "kids dont know shit", this is what I meant..they dont know that a certain fashion, fad, or "look" isnt a true and signifcant form of self expression...this is the PARENTS fault for not instilling true self-esteem in their child.

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years, and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

Are you a parent?

Are you a teacher?

Wondering what basis you're making these statements on.

I'm a parent and I've taught. Also, my wife is a teacher with 10 years of classroom experience plus she's currently working on her dissertation on behavior at UT's School of Education. So you could say that I'm vested in these issues.

kids wanting to look like their heroes they see on MTV cribs is not "cultural", no more "cultural" than my wanting to be Nikki Sixx when I was 12 years old.

When I said "kids dont know shit", this is what I meant..they dont know that a certain fashion, fad, or "look" isnt a true and signifcant form of self expression...this is the PARENTS fault for not instilling true self-esteem in their child.

You see gold grills on MTV. The kids in question see them there too, but only after seeing them on their fathers, their neighbors, their friends, etc. But go ahead and manufacture another way to look down on them.

• If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

Uhhhhhh OK. I'm sure its really easy, I can't beleive they didn't think of that.

There are a ton of really shitty teachers out there that all too easily give up on their students based on some sort of cultural gap.

There are many right in my neighborhood at Reagan High School. I and many, many others say fire them ASAP.

Well I agree that there are a lot of shitty teachers out there. I can only think of a handful growing up that were really good teachers. But I don't think being a good teacher is something you can learn, like being a banker or something. Its a talent that you either have or you don't. And I think there aren't enough people out there with that talent to fire the mediocre teachers.

I couldn't disagree more about this. The shitty teachers need to be replaced by the plentitudes of perfectly viable teaching applicants that get turned away for not meeting some frivolous bureaucratic requirement.

I have to agree...I worked for 10 years in the Texas School system...without a teacher certificate, I have a Bachelor's in Education and a minor in Biology...The Memphis City Schools is whining about needing MALE SCIENCE TEACHERS, I apply and I was rejected in the first round because I didnt have a teaching certificate...my degree and experience meant nothing to a school district that has only a 51% GRADUATION RATE. Something is wrong with this.

Then get certified. It's probably (like it is most places) a state law. You can go to Medical school all you want but until you're licensed, don't try to cut anyone up...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years[/b], and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

They have worked for years to achieve what, specifically?

Improve test scores. Reduce violence.

Sources? I'm not saying I can't believe it, but I'd like to see some evidence.

You see gold grills on MTV. The kids in question see them there too, but only after seeing them on their fathers, their neighbors, their friends, etc. But go ahead and manufacture another way to look down on them.

Whatever, dude....I "manufactured" a way to look down on them. Thanks for "manufacturing" a way to make my opinion seem "wrong" and "insensitive". It is sad if someone actually thinks that material and fashion items and fads are legitimate items of "cultural" self expression. These "fads" last maybe a year or two, so how powerful of a statement are they if they cannot even stand the test of time?

You see gold grills on MTV. The kids in question see them there too, but only after seeing them on their fathers, their neighbors, their friends, etc.

This may be true but it is not really an effective justification for wearing them in class.

If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

Then get certified. It's probably (like it is most places) a state law. You can go to Medical school all you want but until you're licensed, don't try to cut anyone up...

I just think it is strange that a school district with a much much higher graduation rate and more succesful rate of college placement found myself to be qualified enough to work for them, but a bottom of the barrel school district wont even look at my resume...most school districts will hire you and let you work on your certificate while you teach. MCS does not. They wonder why they are short handed for teachers...

Whatever, dude....I "manufactured" a way to look down on them. Thanks for "manufacturing" a way to make my opinion seem "wrong" and "insensitive". It is sad if someone actually thinks that material and fashion items and fads are legitimate items of "cultural" self expression. These "fads" last maybe a year or two, so how powerful of a statement are they if they cannot even stand the test of time?

So you think gold grills are only a fad that will last a year or two?

They have already proved you wrong. Shall they prove you culturally insensitive to boot?

I'd hate to think the mullet was part of my culture.

So you think gold grills are only a fad that will last a year or two?

They have already proved you wrong. Shall they prove you culturally insensitive to boot?

Oh please.

• If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

I just think it is strange that a school district with a much much higher graduation rate and more succesful rate of college placement found myself to be qualified enough to work for them, but a bottom of the barrel school district wont even look at my resume...most school districts will hire you and let you work on your certificate while you teach. MCS does not. They wonder why they are short handed for teachers...

I don't disagree with you that they ought to be more flexible, especially in districts that are having a hard time attracting teachers. My wife's a teacher (as was my Dad for 38 years) and I know in some states if you're getting accredited (or switching disciplines) they'll let you continue to teach.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

You see gold grills on MTV. The kids in question see them there too, but only after seeing them on their fathers, their neighbors, their friends, etc.

This may be true but it is not really an effective justification for wearing them in class.

Just to clarify, I am talking about REMOVABLE grillz, not the Baltimore gold teeth variety of cosmetic dentistry. If somone has this shit installed, I say let 'em be. I mean, you can require kids to cover tatoos, but you can't require them to have them removed.

And I stand by my statement above...some people simply do not acknowledge that norms and rules exist, to except their children from them based on some kind of 'cultural sensitivity' is simply ridiculous. We could have that conversation about hairstyles, but jewelrey is where I would draw that line.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    so if my parents wear grills then i should be allowed to at 10, 11, 12, 15, 16 years of age? Time and place.

If their parents and uncles are into gun culture does that mean that the kid should pack heat as well?

What about cigarettes and alcohol. or even weed? I know plenty of people who grow up around this as a daily occurance where their elders use or over-use it. Should they be able to use any of the above, because it's part of their home culture?

You gotta draw a line and until the kids are 18... They have little to no rights.

I put more blame on the breakdown of the family structure at all levels of economic background than the schools, though I do agree that there are a mess of poorly trained teachers that have no right to be out there. but then again when you have a society that pays millions to rock stars and little to nothing for teachers, what do you expect the pool to mostly be made up of?

I also would have to say if you need the teaching certificate to teach, why not just get it then? Yes its jumping through hoops, but in this day and age, that's life, and isn't it better to be doing the good than bitching about the teaching certificate you didn't want to get because it was some beuracratic red tape? There is nothing that the city, county, state, and feds don't have their fingers in and there is really nothing you can do regarding it.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

blah blah blah.

The bottom line is: School is for learning. Getting rid of as many distractions as possible to assist in achieving that goal, is not only acceptable in my opinion, but necessary in today's cultural (read: consumer) climate.

I know I hated the dress code when I was in school, but I see the value in it now.

And trying to dismiss this as some sort of veiled racism is expected from you, sheezy, but is clearly another example of your bait and switch and instigating tactics.

I'd ban your rat tail too, so it has nothing to do with race.

How does a gold grill equate to guns and drugs?

How does a gold grill equate to guns and drugs?

gold grill = drug dealer, or at least a gun-toting gangster.

Hey, I'm just telling you what I see on rap videos.

The bottom line is: School is for learning. Getting rid of as many distractions as possible to assist in achieving that goal, is not only acceptable in my opinion, but necessary in today's cultural (read: consumer) climate.

The bottom line is that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Getting rid of these so-called distractions will only keep many kids from even attending school.

But that's probably what the teachers and administrators are after...so they should thank y'all for your support.