Texas school district bans grillz

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    How about standard issue tinfoil grillz for all students?

This or rollo wrappers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I agree with uniforms, shit, I would even seperate the sexes also. Many studies show that kids learn better when seperated...

Kids dont have rights, and well, they shouldnt...when you are a kid YOU DONT KNOW A FUCKING THING. It is a disservice to them to let them do what they want. When they are in a classroom, they are there to learn and I feel it necessary to get RID OF ANYTHING that doesnt promote learning. Yes, I would been pissed off to back when I was back in school about stuff like this, but then again, I was a kid and I DIDNT KNOW A FUCKING THING.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of children. The attitude that children must become like sheep in order for others to decide what is in their best interests is what causes so many adults to mindlessly conform to popular ideals, whether they make sense or not. How can any free-thinking individual be so willing to break the spirit of the innocent?

Well kids need to know that material things and what you wear are really insignificant things and are not true forms of individual self expression.
    Wearing a grill isnt a true statement of self expression, and that wearing baggy pants (or wanting to do things like the others kids are doing) is actually more of a conformist behavior than wearing a uniform because the rules say so. True self expression, your thoughts and ideas (which need to be fostered at home) are what makes you an individual. I dont think not allowing certain clothing items is crushing a kids spirit, if it is, then the parents did a bad job in instilling self-esteem in their child. A true free spirit would care less if they arent allowed to wear the fad of the moment.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I'd also be curious to hear what other methods you use in the classroom to retain attention and get children excited about learning.

top ten off the top of my head:

*hands on a much as possible
    *no worksheets
    *establishing rituals
    *highly structured classroom with room for independent choices
    *goals for each unit of lessons
    *vision energized by urgency
    *relevance to their reality
    *group projects
    *don't coerce involvement with prizes
    *ample opportunities for their input and creativity
    *hold them to the standards that you would hold adults
    *give them a buy-in/ownership to your programs
    *pay attention to detail but dont sweat the small stuff

How about standard issue tinfoil grillz for all students?

hhahahaha...ive seen this a lot!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    haha, I've seen that too.

It's hard to keep kids engaged sometimes, especially dealing with the special populations that I teach. I am teaching 16 year-olds how to read and they don't always want to be there, they are embarrassed and they've developed habits that are hard to break. I try and make it as relevant as possible, but I'm always surprised at what these kids do and don't know.

Sample question:

" Ms. K, why do white people put leashes on their kids?"

ummmmm. that was a tough one.

haha, I've seen that too.

It's hard to keep kids engaged sometimes, especially dealing with the special populations that I teach. I am teaching 16 year-olds how to read and they don't always want to be there, they are embarrassed and they've developed habits that are hard to break. I try and make it as relevant as possible, but I'm always surprised at what these kids do and don't know.

Sample question:

" Ms. K, why do white people put leashes on their kids?"

ummmmm. that was a tough one.

hahaha.

literacy is tough though. lazerwolf is deicated to this...he may have some insight into making it relevant. ive always found that if the students are motivated to improve and get consistent help, they can usually do it. those are two huge "ifs"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I agree with uniforms, shit, I would even seperate the sexes also. Many studies show that kids learn better when seperated...

Kids dont have rights, and well, they shouldnt...when you are a kid YOU DONT KNOW A FUCKING THING. It is a disservice to them to let them do what they want. When they are in a classroom, they are there to learn and I feel it necessary to get RID OF ANYTHING that doesnt promote learning. Yes, I would been pissed off to back when I was back in school about stuff like this, but then again, I was a kid and I DIDNT KNOW A FUCKING THING.

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment of children. The attitude that children must become like sheep in order for others to decide what is in their best interests is what causes so many adults to mindlessly conform to popular ideals, whether they make sense or not. How can any free-thinking individual be so willing to break the spirit of the innocent?

Well kids need to know that material things and what you wear are really insignificant things and are not true forms of individual self expression.
    Wearing a grill isnt a true statement of self expression, and that wearing baggy pants (or wanting to do things like the others kids are doing) is actually more of a conformist behavior than wearing a uniform because the rules say so. True self expression, your thoughts and ideas (which need to be fostered at home) are what makes you an individual. I dont think not allowing certain clothing items is crushing a kids spirit, if it is, then the parents did a bad job in instilling self-esteem in their child. A true free spirit would care less if they arent allowed to wear the fad of the moment.

Yeah, that might have been a bit strong. I was reacting to your comments about kids not having rights, not knowing a fucking thing, etc. I don't think it benefits anyone to be viewed that way. I agree with you about playing down the material side of things, and had Texas school officials cited reasons such as that for banning grillz, I probably wouldn't have even posted in this thread.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This is a good thread.

In New Orleans, about half of the people I've worked with have gold teeth of some sort, whether it's their eye teeth only or whether every last tooth is capped in gold. One dude was asked why he had the gold removed from his mouth, and he said he realized it was holding him back from job promotions. That's a life lesson learned right there. In Los Angeles, I've worked with lots of people who wished they didn't have their tattoos (like tear drops, or shit written on their necks). Same deal.

People have the right to look however they want, but they also have to expect certain consequences from society. Kids need to learn this lesson early. Very few can find success without conforming to the social norms, which kind of sucks, but whatever. It's reality. If you don't know enough not to wear baggy pants or shorts and sandals to a job interview, then you're going to get sonned.

Shit, when I was growing up, kids came to school with mullets. Now those should have been banned!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

Uhhhhhh OK. I'm sure its really easy, I can't beleive they didn't think of that.

Uhhhhhh OK. I'm sure its really easy, I can't beleive they didn't think of that.

There are a ton of really shitty teachers out there that all too easily give up on their students based on some sort of cultural gap.

There are many right in my neighborhood at Reagan High School. I and many, many others say fire them ASAP.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

There are a ton of really shitty teachers out there that all too easily give up on their students based on some sort of cultural gap.

There are many right in my neighborhood at Reagan High School. I and many, many others say fire them ASAP.

What about firing the bad teachers & banning grills?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    that's the kind of shit that would've pissed me off in h.s..

it's the administration tightening the reigns, i really doubt they care about safety or prepping them for the workforce. obviously these kids know it's a fad/just jewelry..

naw man, it really is a distraction. My homegirl is a teacher and her students are always taking the "grillz" out during class, cleaning them, sucking on 'em loudly, and just causing all the other students to stare or yell "OOOoooohhh lemme see". This is all fine outside of class, but when you're teaching a room full of kids it's not happening.

Isn't the problem less the grillz themselves than it is the taking 'em out and "sucking on 'em"?

Maybe the school could come up with a rule more narrowly tailored ot the problem--you, know, codify a prohibition on "sucking on 'em"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Well I agree that there are a lot of shitty teachers out there. I can only think of a handful growing up that were really good teachers. But I don't think being a good teacher is something you can learn, like being a banker or something. Its a talent that you either have or you don't. And I think there aren't enough people out there with that talent to fire the mediocre teachers.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    ban the grillz. schools have to have standards and institute structure and discipline when a good deal of their students lack structure and discipline in their home environments.
    i'm with the couple voices on here who said that self expression shouldnt be based on clothes and accesories, but on character and personality. with uniforms, there is less of the material bullshit to build a rep around...it does level the playing field. works in the high school where i work.
    as far as distractions, my garbage ass school sdministration has become lax about PSPs and walkmen, ipods etc. i banned them from my room and confiscate them (as well as cell phones). kids bitch and moan, but i want them to focus on whats going on in my room and i actually have kids who cut class to be in there. i gotta lock the doors to keep kids out and as soon as they come in the room they better hide their shit...
    for real though, fucked up public schools need a lot of discipline, focus and structure to operate smoothely. teachers who are actually working with a sense of urgency and mission. these teachers should nt stand for any distractions in their classrooom. and youknow what? those are the teachers whose classes have high attendance and who actually impact students' lives. they arent teaching worker drone conformity codes, but are teaching work ethic.

grrillz are just parotting behavior seen on dirty south videos. gtfohwtb

Bravo!

Well I agree that there are a lot of shitty teachers out there. I can only think of a handful growing up that were really good teachers. But I don't think being a good teacher is something you can learn, like being a banker or something. Its a talent that you either have or you don't. And I think there aren't enough people out there with that talent to fire the mediocre teachers.

I couldn't disagree more about this. The shitty teachers need to be replaced by the plentitudes of perfectly viable teaching applicants that get turned away for not meeting some frivolous bureaucratic requirement.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    delete

I couldn't disagree more about this. The shitty teachers need to be replaced by the plentitudes of perfectly viable teaching applicants that get turned away for not meeting some frivolous bureaucratic requirement.

Translation: Young Sheezy's teaching application was recently rejected.

• If teachers can't handle the task of keeping their students from being distracted by gold grills, then it's the teachers that need to be banned.

Exactly what "frivolous bureaucratic requirement" are we talking about? Absence of college degree? Felony conviction? Funny haircuts? Lack of Lizard accreditation?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    if the schools can't handle grillz, then we should close down the schools!!

Exactly what "frivolous bureaucratic requirement" are we talking about? Absence of college degree? Felony conviction? Funny haircuts? Lack of Lizard accreditation?

Inability to refrain from indulging in Project Blowed-related tirades when one is questioned about one's credentials.

Major university-educated outsider gets the position over piecemeal-certified local just about every time.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Major university-educated outsider gets the position over piecemeal-certified local just about every time.

Is there an English equivalent of "piecemeal-certified"?

The problem sure ain't kid-induced. That's my point here. I'm so tired of hearing teachers and administrators explain away their own ineptitudes by blaming the kids for everything.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

The problem sure ain't kid-induced. That's my point here. I'm so tired of hearing teachers and administrators explain away their own ineptitudes by blaming the kids for everything.

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years, and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

Kinda missing the forest for the trees a little bit (a lot).

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years[/b], and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

They have worked for years to achieve what, specifically?

that may be. the topic is regarding grills, however. I don't see the big deal with not allowing them grills. Rules and dress codes are a part of life, have worked for years, and just because this is a semi current fad made popular by rappers doesn't mean that we need allow them to wear the stupid things or to start firing teachers.

Fine, just keep entertaining the excuses of lazy, unimaginative losers who are dumbing down our kids as fast as possible with their litany of culturally insensitive and condescending rules overriding their ability to inspire anyone to do anything but sit down and shut up.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    well, for one I think they can get rid of distractions, gang affiliated type gear, heshers with ripped shit and sleeveless shirts etc. Secondly, like many things in school, dress codes prepare children for future occupations etc. Most people have to follow some sort of dress code for work and/or some social events.

School dress codes generally dictate what can't be worn by any student, such as sheer or midriff-baring blouses, clothing with ads for beer and alcohol, or low-rider jeans.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Fine, just keep entertaining the excuses of lazy, unimaginative losers who are dumbing down our kids as fast as possible with their litany of culturally insensitive and condescending rules overriding their ability to inspire anyone to do anything but sit down and shut up.

haha. dude.

decaf.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

Is there an English equivalent of "piecemeal-certified"?

I suspect that 'Toons is referring to folks who get their certification by supporting their local college experience via a class here and a class there vs. folks who get theirs long, consecutive, and elsewhere.

And not to be reductive, but I also suspect that we may be seeing here something of the personal pea that lies beneath all those mattresses of anti-carpetbagger sentiment.