Food&Liquor/Blue Collar the new "One for All" ?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    you guys are showing your asses on this... Twista has been around for mad years, has killed it on many a rugged track, and is one of the most purely skilled MCs in the game today... to shit on him because he's made a few (admittedly SOFT) radio jams and gotten paid is real fucked up.

not shitting on him cause of the radio. I am surprised he actually finally made it being that he was fin to blow 8 years ago when he was the "fastest rapper alive". He has always been a gimmick. paid his dues yes, but always been a gimmick.

I will give you that he was rapper with a gimmick during the "Tung Twista" era when he put out the album on Loud.

Adrenaline Rush was not a gimmick. The half million people that bought it did not think it was a gimmick. When Cam remade the title track, he did not do so because it was a gimmick. When Jay-Z, Trick Daddy, and Puff recruited Twista to jump on their albums following its release, they did not do so because they viewed him as a gimmick.

I can't believe this schitt is even an argument.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Dudes on here assume that because they didn't start taking Twista seriously until Kanye cosigned him that the rest of the rap-listening public didn't either.

Wait a second. Who takes Twista seriously?

Pretty much everyone WOMAN that listens to the radio.

Yeah, dude, his career began and ended with that "Girl Tonight" bullschitt--he hadn't been putting in work for a decade plus prior to that.

Like I said. he put his time in, but most people I run into now even consider hima guimmick better for cameos than anythign else.

A full album? never that.

and his MC skills are just average IMO, always have been. The speed is what has always made him dope.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I'm not checking for Lupe or Rhymefest, and I don't have time to engage in a polemical about 'exports', my 2 cents is that Do or Die is the shit. Do I want to hear ' used to love her', 'hay', no. I could listen to 'po pimp' anytime...Matter fact, I'ma throw it on now...ez

YES

btw, if you like Do Or Die, you should really check out Psychodramas first shit... they are the same kinda style... start with the song "Magic" and go from there. I love this cities rap output. Even "Hay".

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

and his MC skills are just average IMO, always have been. The speed is what has always made him dope.

go listen to "Suicide" a couple times, and report back to us.

The reason Twista didn't blow up further with "Adrenaline Rush" is he has a fear of flying, and could never do a complete US or European tour because of it. Not saying this is the sole reason he didn't get bigger than he was in the mid 90s, but I'm sure it played a large part in holding him back.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    90'S [/b]

Cleveland : Bone Thugs-N-Harmony

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How could you rep a place better than by living there?

sounds like a quote out of the mouth of Senator Tom Tancredo

even in your wacky-world of thinking i would have expected you to realize that people move to new cities for reasons other than "reppin' that local experience/real schitt".

given that to be my case, why would i ignore my past? or would you prefer people just to assimilate into their new surroundings and forget any attributes of thier previous culture.

you sounding very Lou Dobbs-esque right now...

I don't consider you as one of the people who are guilty of doing anything wrong. And it's only inside joke wrong anyway, not real world trouble wrong.

But if you really want me to play along...I too have moved, but never[/b] to NYC.

Where I come from, there isn't much a sell-out worse than that.

To each their own of course, but I'm saying...NYC residence and regional rap endorsements don't necessarily mix as seamlessly as some of y'all think they do.

Not even sure what this means, dude!

But I'll take a stab:

If moving to New York City, pumping Bay rap for years before anyone gave a fuck, highlighting those titles in my storefront, and pushing everything from the Spice 1 to 4080 EP to "Shot Calling Big Balling Remix" to "18 Dummy" and "Tell Me When To Go" = selling out, color me sold.

You ain't from the place that has me saying "where I come from". Berkeley High to Wall Street is hardly a stretch.

oooh hoooo! NOW we're talking! Let's get into some "I'm from a tougher hood from you" shit! lol....

When you lived in the Bay, I'm sure you were out in Waterfront lounging around in khakis and house shoes, when you weren't campaigning out on Seminary!

I'm a week late on this response...but Jonny, the distinction was between places (like New Orleans) that are inherently anti-NYC versus places (like Berkeley) that are pro-NYC. It had nothing to do with which place was "tougher".

even in your wacky-world of thinking i would have expected you to realize that people move to new cities for reasons other than "reppin' that local experience/real schitt".

given that to be my case, why would i ignore my past? or would you prefer people just to assimilate into their new surroundings and forget any attributes of thier previous culture.

I don't consider you as one of the people who are guilty of doing anything wrong. And it's only inside joke wrong anyway, not real world trouble wrong.

But if you really want me to play along...I too have moved, but never[/b] to NYC.

To each their own of course, but I'm saying...NYC residence and regional rap endorsements don't necessarily mix as seamlessly as some of y'all think they do.

But I'll take a stab:

If moving to New York City, pumping Bay rap for years before anyone gave a fuck, highlighting those titles in my storefront, and pushing everything from the Spice 1 to 4080 EP to "Shot Calling Big Balling Remix" to "18 Dummy" and "Tell Me When To Go" = selling out, color me sold.

You ain't from the place that has me saying "where I come from". Berkeley High to Wall Street is hardly a stretch.

oooh hoooo! NOW we're talking! Let's get into some "I'm from a tougher hood from you" shit! lol....

When you lived in the Bay, I'm sure you were out in Waterfront lounging around in khakis and house shoes, when you weren't campaigning out on Seminary!

I'm a week late on this response...but Jonny, the distinction was between places (like New Orleans) that are inherently anti-NYC versus places (like Berkeley) that are pro-NYC. It had nothing to do with which place was "tougher".

I must hear more of this pro-NYC/anti-NYC dichotomy around which you organize your world.

Plaese to work in a shout out to what has previously been referred to as "NYC South" a/k/a Atlanta while you're at it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Dudes on here assume that because they didn't start taking Twista seriously until Kanye cosigned him that the rest of the rap-listening public didn't either.

Wait a second. Who takes Twista seriously?

Pretty much everyone WOMAN that listens to the radio.
    lol, sexism

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

But I'll take a stab:

You know I've never really delved much into your stay in the Bay Area but if you think the folks out there are pro-NYC (particularly those I consorted with back in the day) you are off more than a bit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    dude you have a rick ross avatar

What if it were revealed next week that he is actually a garbage man

I might need to change my avatar. Hustlin was classic, but since then im not all that impressed.

you did say roughly the same thing about my young jeezy avatar a ways back though.

• dude you have a rick ross avatar

What if it were revealed next week that he is actually a garbage man

I might need to change my avatar. Hustlin was classic, but since then im not all that impressed.

you did say roughly the same thing about my young jeezy avatar a ways back though.

Yeah, after hearing Hustlin', I anticipated hearing more of his stuff..but after hearing one of his mixtapes, i've yet to hear anything else that comes close to Hustlin'. Oh well.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Adrenaline Rush was not a gimmick. The half million people that bought it did not think it was a gimmick. When Cam remade the title track, he did not do so because it was a gimmick. When Jay-Z, Trick Daddy, and Puff recruited Twista to jump on their albums following its release, they did not do so because they viewed him as a gimmick.

I can't believe this schitt is even an argument.
    That album definitely opened my eyes to Twista's talent. I didn't really like the beats on that album but Twista was . I knew a lot of people who played the shit out of that album. It was "big". He's actually pretty dope as far as lyrics if you can catch what he is saying. He needs to work with Kanye again though quickfast. He seems to have the perfect blap for his style. I haven't even heard the latest album he did, that ready for the world shit was

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    He needs to work with Kanye again though quickfast.

oh.....you aint heard ??

That album definitely opened my eyes to Twista's talent. I didn't really like the beats on that album but Twista was . I knew a lot of people who played the shit out of that album. It was "big". He's actually pretty dope as far as lyrics if you can catch what he is saying. He needs to work with Kanye again though quickfast. He seems to have the perfect blap for his style. I haven't even heard the latest album he did, that ready for the world shit was

Yeah, seriously--I didn't even check that last album he did. That "Girl Tonight" single was one of the worst songs to come out last year. He achieved the perfect balance with Kanye; since then he's gone too far in a cuddly/strictly for the ladies direction.

I don't wanna hear that bullllshit
    I wanna hear that official shit
    Kanye and that Twista shit
    It's so impossible to git it git it
    git it git it

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I didn't really like the beats on that album
    Those beats are dope. And as far as Kanye beats I liked those first couple singles but I'm glad he's not working with dude any more, when was the last time Kanye produced a hot track for someone else?

Alright so this is kinda wack. I still have faith in Ye. He was probably kicking it with Tom Cruise when he made this flop.

I didn't really like the beats on that album
    Those beats are dope. And as far as Kanye beats I liked those first couple singles but I'm glad he's not working with dude any more, when was the last time Kanye produced a hot track for someone else?

"Dreams" for Game? When was the last time he produced a track for someone not on his label, period? It's not like he's been flooding the market with lackluster beats lately.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Is that the joint they did for the MI:3 soundtrack w/Keyshia Cole. That's a right dog's breakfast of a track.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

"Dreams" for Game? When was the last time he produced a track for someone not on his label, period? It's not like he's been flooding the market with lackluster beats lately.
    Dreams is awful! That was so kanye by numbers.

It is not "awful"--Kanye may not have offered anything new with it, but it's still far from "awful".

But I like your attitude.

Damn son I like that blap. I'll take Kanye "buy the numbers" all day then.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dreams = not even remotely close to awful.

Dreams = not even remotely close to awful.

It was also a big mixtape beat that year so apparently it resonated as something better than "awful" with a broader demographic than just the faux_shieds of the world.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

faux_shieds

that's rich.

faux_shieds

that's rich.

and, simultaneously, blue collar.

faux_shieds

that's rich.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

faux_shieds

that's rich.

holy fuck, i bet that movie is good.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Faux - would you be the "white bigot" or would you reprise your role as the "soul brother"?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    To me the beat was just too obvious in its emotions or something, too self-consciously 'heavy.'