Food&Liquor/Blue Collar the new "One for All" ?

Comments

• ok your turn, please show us your justification for saying Crucial Conflict was a bigger Chi-town export than Common?

I can't even tell if this is a serious question. Where is Common's "Hay"? Oh that's right, he never had a hit like that. Where is Common's Final Tic? Oh that's right, he didn't go gold until he released LWFC, which didn't occur until after the nineties were over.

You may personally prefer Common to Crucial Conflict and that's fine, but during the nineties CC were bigger artists than Com, as were Twista and da Brat. This is not really open to argument so please just stop with that.

I don't even know where to begin with this, I think if we were face to face I'd pet your head and say "you did a very good job, now go play over there in the sandbox".

Crucial conflict was and is not a bigger chi-town export. having one or two hit tracks in the mid to late 90's and comparing it to what Common has done on a national level (slaes, touring, MTV, etc) is stupid. Common plainly is considered the bigger rap export while Crucial Conflict in present time are no more than a footnote to people that share your taste.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

ok your turn, please show us your justification for saying Crucial Conflict was a bigger Chi-town export than Common?

I can't even tell if this is a serious question. Where is Common's "Hay"? Oh that's right, he never had a hit like that. Where is Common's Final Tic? Oh that's right, he didn't go gold until he released LWFC, which didn't occur until after the nineties were over.

You may personally prefer Common to Crucial Conflict and that's fine, but during the nineties CC were bigger artists than Com, as were Twista and da Brat. This is not really open to argument so please just stop with that.

I don't even know where to begin with this, I think if we were face to face I'd pet your head and say "you did a very good job, now go play over there in the sandbox".

Crucial conflict was and is not a bigger chi-town export. having one or two hit tracks in the mid to late 90's and comparing it to what Common has done on a national level (slaes, touring, MTV, etc) is stupid. Common plainly is considered the bigger rap export while Crucial Conflict in present time are no more than a footnote to people that share your taste.

You already lost. Now beat it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    are these records gonna make me dig out my batman medallion?

Indeed we do, my friend, indeed we do.

Herm

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Common comments:

The Soul by the Pound Thump Mix was the shit on any level.

Resurrection was an exceptional album.

I lost interest in Common about halfway through the One Day LP.

The Light was a pretty darned huge single.

Electric Circus wasn't as exploratory nor as bad as people make it seem.

Common's last album was fairly strong.

As usual, faux is off of his rocker with the irrational hate.

• ok your turn, please show us your justification for saying Crucial Conflict was a bigger Chi-town export than Common?

You already lost. Now beat it.

your ability to debate shows why you spend so much time on messageboards as opposed to the court room.

I'd like to know who you consider the biggest rap exports out of LA, and New York

my guess is youre going to say Paperboy and Nine

• The Light was a pretty darned huge single.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I hate to again repeat the obvious but that was not the 90s duders.

I Used to Love HER was a pretty darned huge single.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

I wouldn't define "huge" as "medium rotation on rap city"

- the devil's advocate

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    "I Used to Love H.E.R." Peak chart positions #91 R&B/Hip-Hop, #31 Rap = Not a huge record. I like it too, but facts is facts.

- the devil's advocate

Am I to suppose that you never left your house back then?

- the devil's advocate

I was being charitable by naming the ONLY place in the Bay Area where you could hear this record consistently (other than my walkman).

"I Used to Love H.E.R." Peak chart positions #91 R&B/Hip-Hop, #31 Rap = Not a huge record. I like it too, but shottily-collected statistics is shottily-collected statistics.[/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    "I Used to Love H.E.R." Peak chart positions #91 R&B/Hip-Hop, #31 Rap = Not a huge record. I like it too, but shottily-collected statistics is shottily-collected statistics.[/b]

And what is shoddy spelling?

- the devil's advocate

I was being charitable by naming the ONLY place in the Bay Area where you could hear this record consistently (other than my walkman).

In Austin, every Wednesday night at Proteus, every Thursday night at Ohms, and between sets of every rap show at Catfish Station and Flamingo Cantina. I think I also recall Cassanova playing it on Saturday nights at Catfish Station which was typically an r-n-b night. I can't imagine that Austin, with its limited resources, was actually doing Common bigger than the Bay Area. But then my selective memory filter is on the fritz.

Of course there were DJs playing it at hip-hop nights, and I'm sure on stations like KPOO and KALX. I don't think that really makes a record "huge" though...

Of course there were DJs playing it at hip-hop nights, and I'm sure on stations like KPOO and KALX. I don't think that really makes a record "huge" though...

It was huge enough for Ice Cube to make a response to it. Of course you know this.

I could really take or leave Common, but I think dude's who are new to rap making dumb assertions is only as bad as dude's old-hat to rap making self-serving assertions.

I'm not arguing that Common was small; his capacity to keep building his career and make records that are well-received (by some) is really rare in hip-hop. I am stating, merely, that "I Used To Love H.E.R." was not huge. And I really don't think there's an argument there.

Resurrection is one of my top 5 hip-hop records ever, so don't even play that "self-serving argument" BS with me.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Adam, Crucial Conflict, Do Or Die, and Da Brat all sold a shitload more records than Common

In most senses that would qualify them all as "bigger exports"

gerardo sold a lot of records too.

rap fans know common as a chicago rapper. twista as well. crucial conflict, da brat and do or die have been irrelevant for 10 years except for da brat's recent appearance on the surreal life and her strange relationship wiht mariah carey.

Adam, Crucial Conflict, Do Or Die, and Da Brat all sold a shitload more records than Common

In most senses that would qualify them all as "bigger exports"

gerardo sold a lot of records too.

rap fans know common as a chicago rapper. twista as well. crucial conflict, da brat and do or die have been irrelevant for 10 years except for da brat's recent appearance on the surreal life and her strange relationship wiht mariah carey.

I will concede you Da Brat (although she was on a record, in the past year, that again was bigger than anything Common has done! lol)

Crucial Conflict and Do Or Die are both thought of as pioneers in midwest and to an extent southern rap. You guys are showing more than anything your ignorance of those subgenres and scenes.

I am not having this argument again.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not arguing that Common was small; his capacity to keep building his career and make records that are well-received (by some) is really rare in hip-hop. I am stating, merely, that "I Used To Love H.E.R." was not huge. And I really don't think there's an argument there.

Resurrection is one of my top 5 hip-hop records ever, so don't even play that "self-serving argument" BS with me.

What does "huge" mean though? There's "commercially" big and then there's "culturally" big. I think one could easily argue that Common's song has had a cultural legacy longer than the other groups being mentioned. Not like "Brown Sugar" was a huge movie but shit, that whole movie was based on Common's song.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I think one could easily argue that Common's song has had a cultural legacy longer than the other groups being mentioned.

I think one could easily argue that Common's song has had a cultural legacy longer than the other groups being mentioned.

I'm just saying that Billboard sales figures are hardly the end-all, be-all measure of whether or not a single was huge, especially an underground rap single.

But just to test the waters a little more, how about tha Pharcyde's Passing Me By? Was that huge?

What does "huge" mean though? There's "commercially" big and then there's "culturally" big. I think one could easily argue that Common's song has had a cultural legacy longer than the other groups being mentioned. Not like "Brown Sugar" was a huge movie but shit, that whole movie was based on Common's song.

Ha! "culturally huge"... lol

dude it wasn't a "huge" record. "Stay Fly" was a huge record. "Crazy" is a huge record. "The Light" was a huge record.

"I Used To Love H.E.R." was a great record, a highly acclaimed record (except for in the pages of The Source, who gave the LP only three mics!) but "huge"?? dude, no.

I'm just saying that Billboard sales figures are hardly the end-all, be-all measure of whether or not a single was huge, especially an underground rap single.

But just to test the waters a little more, how about tha Pharcyde's Passing Me By? Was that huge?

Yes.

And Phonics, who's cultural legacy? For the Bay Area/Austin/NYC/LA set, the collect rare records set, the NIGHT OF THE REMIXERS set, the post on soulstrut set....Common was way huge. For the midwest pimp trick gangsta clikk set, Do Or Die is huge. We're not talking quality here, just impact. Seems a hard concept for folks to grasp.

I would expect HarveyArchaic to be in agreement with me!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Coming form the midwest, crucial conflict was big for maybe 15 minutes, and only becuase of "Hay". It was enough for them to sell a shitload of albums, but the record was so bad, the group was pretty much forgotten and never managed to make any type of comeback.

You all talk album sales, but the main issue is that most rap groups were against "crossing over" then for fear of the same backlash that occurred with MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice. On top of that unless the groups fit a certain role, it was almost impossible for a rap group to crossover. Add to the fact that outside of major cities there were no Rap stations there were only rap shows on pop or R&B stations.

And to say Crucial Conflict is Chicagos biggest rap export is just dumb. Kanye is the biggest export, his numbers for BOTH of his albums far outweigh Crucial conflict. And really Common trumps them too only because of his longevity.

Do or Die is not considered any kind of pioneers. We thought they were jocking UGk and southern or gangsta rappers at the time. Twista was just crazy because of the speed he raps, but he had a string of duds for albums for years.

90s[/b]

Yes.

And Phonics, who's cultural legacy? For the Bay Area/Austin/NYC/LA set, the collect rare records set, the NIGHT OF THE REMIXERS set, the post on soulstrut set....Common was way huge. For the midwest pimp trick gangsta clikk set, Do Or Die is huge. We're not talking quality here, just impact. Seems a hard concept for folks to grasp.

I would expect HarveyArchaic to be in agreement with me!

Nah, I can recognize how big Hay and Po Pimpin were without having to shoot down I Used to Love HER in the process.

• I think one could easily argue that Common's song has had a cultural legacy longer than the other groups being mentioned.

are you forgetting that Faux_Rills is hip-hop?

I am shooting the record down by claiming it was not HUGE??

I knew I shouldn't have waded knee deep into bullshit like this!