There Will Be No Bars In Texas Soon (NRR)

SonicReducerSonicReducer 421 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I don't even drink but I found this story pretty disturbing - http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/23/texas.bars.reut/index.html SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car."We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said."There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

Comments

• pre-emptive war...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I don't even drink but I found this story pretty disturbing -

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/23/texas.bars.reut/index.html

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

Someday in America, we will all be saved from ourselves before we walk out the house in the morning. You will automatically be placed under arrest for your own protection(and the community's protection) upon turning 18 years old.

How fucking sad is this country becoming, people?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    When I first moved to the US in 1988 I thought it was a police state. I was wrong... NOW it's a police state! Congrats guys!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I don't even drink but I found this story pretty disturbing -

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/23/texas.bars.reut/index.html

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

Fuckin' Texas...It makes me livid how the authorities and a lot of the population are so fucking cavalier about pissing on civil liberties and assuming the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude...I suppose that you were planning on taking a cab home is out of the fucking question...Im sorry, but Fuck Texas..I am so fucking glad I do not live in that state anymore. I have a lot of friends there and there are a lot of good people there, but some shit is just unbearbale about that state.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I told ya'll the cig bans were the start of something big...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Does Texas still have that Dry & Wet shit? That shit always confused the hell out of me when I lived in Dallas.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Fuckin' Texas...It makes me livid how the authorities and a lot of the population are so fucking cavalier about pissing on civil liberties and assuming the "guilty until proven innocent" attitude...I suppose that you were planning on taking a cab home is out of the fucking question...Im sorry, but Fuck Texas..I am so fucking glad I do not live in that state anymore. I have a lot of friends there and there are a lot of good people there, but some shit is just unbearbale about that state.

Yep, with the entire country leaping faaaaar off of the civil liberties cliff, just blame Texas and somehow that crashing fall is going to feel that much better.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Does Texas still have that Dry & Wet shit? That shit always confused the hell out of me when I lived in Dallas.

Yup...had to keep that Unicard in the wallet while i was living there.

Funny thing is that until late 80's (i believe) TX still allowed open containers in vehicles, and now they are going after people before they step out of a bar.

• in other texas news, the mayor of houston-bill white wants to impose a curfew for people 17 and under, from 10pm to 6am.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Yup...had to keep that Unicard in the wallet while i was living there.

Funny thing is that until late 80's (i believe) TX still allowed open containers in vehicles, and now they are going after people before they step out of a bar.

I think I lived in Dallas around 92 and I can remember being blown away when we pulled up to a stoplight and on one side of our car was a dude in a pick up truck drinking a beer with a gun rack in the back and on the other side of our car was a cop. Shit was crazy.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    in other texas news, the mayor of houston-bill white wants to impose a curfew for people 17 and under, from 10pm to 6am.

Wow, that sucks. Poor fucking kids will have to start huffing glue and talking to internet predators instead of making out in the back of cars and drinking behing 7-11's

Yep, with the entire country leaping faaaaar off of the civil liberties cliff, just blame Texas and somehow that crashing fall is going to feel that much better.

oh for God's sake...I am so fucking glad soulstrut has plenty of political babysitters...what ever would we do without you? Yes, I AM FUCKING VERY MUCH AWARE that that the whole country is going the worng way...but there is a very different attitude in Texas than the rest of the country, sorry , but there is and you wont convince me otherwise...and there are a lot of better states as well, I am not saying I live in one now, but I am just glad I dont live there anymore where I could be thrown in the clink for having a few drinks.

oh for God's sake...I am so fucking glad soulstrut has plenty of political babysitters...what ever would we do without you? Yes, I AM FUCKING VERY MUCH AWARE that that the whole country is going the worng way...but there is a very different attitude in Texas than the rest of the country, sorry , but there is and you wont convince me otherwise...and there are a lot of better states as well, I am not saying I live in one now, but I am just glad I dont live there anymore where I could be thrown in the clink for having a few drinks.

This drinking thing aside, Texas is by far one of the most hands-off states in the republic when it comes to civil liberties. Plus, it's the feds that are primarily the ones hindering us. Muthafuckas are about to bulldoze homes and turn even urban chunks of New Orleans into federal park lands...all in the name of whitewashing a primarily black city for corporate interests. Yet to you, numbskull cops arresting a few drunks in a Texas bar is the bigger story.

• I think it's more than throwing a few drunks in the clink, it's like arresting unemployed people for buying guns, with the logic that they are going to do something bad with them.

As far as Texas being the model of protecting civil liberties and the most progressive state in the union...

SONIC

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    When I first moved to the US in 1988 I thought it was a police state. I was wrong... NOW it's a police state! Congrats guys!

When are you leaving? Do you need help getting a bus ticket or something?

As far as Texas being the model of protecting civil liberties and the most progressive state in the union...

As far as Texas giving 2 shits about people around the country constantly overlooking their own hand in their own bullshit in favor of demonizing the abstract scapegoat badboy Texas...

When y'all are forced to move here like so many already have, then we can deal with y'all's bitch-ass whining.

My point now though is: make some fucking noise already about what is happening in New Orleans. If you are at all concerned with civil liberties then your focus should be placed upon whistleblowing on the forced displacement of an entire community of people based on their skin color. But instead let's look out for drunks.

And to clarify something right now, NOLA folks don't need your pity. They need you to stand up and speak out on some serious issues that are federally originated.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This drinking thing aside, Texas is by far one of the most hands-off states in the republic when it comes to civil liberties. Plus, it's the feds that are primarily the ones hindering us. Muthafuckas are about to bulldoze homes and turn even urban chunks of New Orleans into federal park lands...all in the name of whitewashing a primarily black city for corporate interests. Yet to you, numbskull cops arresting a few drunks in a Texas bar is the bigger story.

Whoa....you just made a HUGE jump in assuming that Hook_up is saying that one is a bigger story than the other SINCE THE NEW ORLEANS BIT WAS NOT EVEN BEING DISCUSSED! I get your point, but dude, do yourself a favor and stick to one story at at a time.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i'm a bit confused as well how new orleans got into a post about TX stings in dallas bars.

still buzzing on seeing eddie bo for the first time?

the issues aren't solely federally oriented.
    that'd be shortsighted.

did you ever think about where oil money goes???????

no one's whining.
    i was "displaced" to texas.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Why would you move to, or stay in a Police State when you're free to come and go as you please?? Certainly there are MANY better places for you to go to...what keeps you here??

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Why would you move to, or stay in a Police State when you're free to come and go as you please?? Certainly there are MANY better places for you to go to...what keeps you here??

what are you crazy! he might actually run a risk of being opressed if he went somewhere else and was critical of the way things are run.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

What rock is trying to say here is, "Love or leave it, Frenchy!!!".

Not that I agree with him...

i'm a bit confused as well how new orleans got into a post about TX stings in dallas bars.

still buzzing on seeing eddie bo for the first time?

the issues aren't solely federally oriented.
    that'd be shortsighted.

did you ever think about where oil money goes???????

no one's whining.
    i was "displaced" to texas.

Because if a post goes up about homes in NOLA being bulldozed, noone on here says shit.

But if someone's right to get drunk in public gets threatened, all up in arms this board goes.

I'm actually glad that people recognize the threat of preemptive arrests, but I'm much sicker that the NOLA situation has been brushed under the rug on some I'll-just-donate-to-Red-Cross-and-that's-that bs.

And yes, a federal land grab is indeed federally-oriented, albeit supported by local corruption.

But whatever, I'll just shut up now.

what are you crazy! he might actually run a risk of being opressed if he went somewhere else and was critical of the way things are run.

What Sabadabadoodoo is saying here is, "Our oppression kicks your oppression's ass!!!".

Focus.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha! that's funny!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

when i first went to canada i had a distinct feeling of world peace.

HOW MANY PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD PACK HEAT!!

dummies.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Fuck Texas..I am so fucking glad I do not live in that state anymore. I have a lot of friends there and there are a lot of good people there, but some shit is just unbearbale about that state.

I think the animated, angry responses to this Texas thing rather than the same reaction occuring in NOLA threads is that Texas takes such a big, bumbling, 600lb Gorilla plan of attack that is so ignorant and audacious, it does provoke a "I cannt believe this shit!" reaction...while the NOLA situation is some sinsiter, dark, smoky conference room type shit that it is nauseating and heartbreaking in its evil. It takes a lot to wrap your head around all of the aspects casuing the wrongdoing in NOLA from stealing and bulldozing people's homes, to Hospitals leaving terminal patients to be left to die and rot alone when the "who to evacuate" decisions were being made. Its two very different situations.

Fuck Texas..I am so fucking glad I do not live in that state anymore. I have a lot of friends there and there are a lot of good people there, but some shit is just unbearbale about that state.

*holding my tongue*