Kick-ass Production and Radical Politics: Top 5

13»

Comments

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Guru dropped some knowledge man, on both sides of 1995. i think he changed up his subject matters more than you're giving him credit for.

I would welcome your suggestions of anything pre-1995 that suggests Mr. Elam was espousing radical politics on a Gang Starr record. I should let you know in advance, however, that I doubt your ability to change my view on whether Gang Starr espoused radical politics. If you view this as a challenge, so be it, but in formulating your response please be cognizant of the distinction between "dropping knowledge" and "radical politics." Take two and pass so the blunt will last, to some, is useful cultural knowledge. But it does not comport with my view of radical politics. [And please don't take this as a broad indictment of Gang Starr. I like their records, but the ones I've heard simply don't belong in this discussion.]

BDP are under consideration to replace DP

this sounds like a no brainer. for the subject of this thread, to have DP ahead of BDP is the definition of

As noted in the portion of my message that you left out, in light of Mr. Parker's conduct in recent years, I find it difficult to embrace even the universally lauded classics from his early catalog. It's like saying that the Space Shuttle Challenger was awesome until it combusted on TV burning all those aboard to death and scattering their charred flesh into the ocean. It was awesome, but it's that last bit that really sticks with me.

I concede that the Digable Planets have also drifted in a suspect direction [cue godawful ladybug jpeg now], but they have done so in a less crazy and conspicuous way than Mr. Parker has. His Temple of Hip Hop is no place anyone interested in the genre of music should find themselves.

Even with all that, BDP is still under very serious consideration to be included in this top five.

Best,
    JRoot

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If you view this as a challenge, so be it, but in formulating your response please be cognizant of the distinction between "dropping knowledge" and "radical politics."

A useful distinction.

Where would the following fit into this continuum?

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    If you view this as a challenge, so be it, but in formulating your response please be cognizant of the distinction between "dropping knowledge" and "radical politics."

A useful distinction.

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

Dropping Knowledge is a broad category that includes dropping gemz, kicking crazy wisdom, peeping the manuscript, and espousing radical politics. However, every time one drops knowledge, one does not ipso facto espouse radical politics, or even drop a gem. Dropping gemz and kicking crazy wisdom are both narrow subsets of dropping knowledge, reserved for truly raer perlz of wizdom.

it's more like a family tree, dawg.

• I would welcome your suggestions of anything pre-1995 that suggests Mr. Elam was espousing radical politics on a Gang Starr record.

well no, i don't think Gang Starr records espouse radical politics. i was just trying to say that Guru rapped about way more than 'grass and ass'. and yes, dropped knowledge.

As noted in the portion of my message that you left out, in light of Mr. Parker's conduct in recent years, I find it difficult to embrace even the universally lauded classics from his early catalog.

according to this line of thinking, it would be difficult to embrace a whole world of artistic and cultural output, such as that of Michael Jackson, Bill Cosby, Sadat X... OK maybe not the best examples but you see my point. if all the masterworks of great artists who lost their minds after their prime were negated, the world would be a poorer place.

• If you view this as a challenge, so be it, but in formulating your response please be cognizant of the distinction between "dropping knowledge" and "radical politics."

A useful distinction.

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

Dropping Knowledge is a broad category that includes dropping gemz, kicking crazy wisdom, peeping the manuscript, and espousing radical politics. However, every time one drops knowledge, one does not ipso facto espouse radical politics, or even drop a gem. Dropping gemz and kicking crazy wisdom are both narrow subsets of dropping knowledge, reserved for truly raer perlz of wizdom.

I believe we have just witnessed the crushing of faux_rillz' cypher.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

A useful distinction.

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

On the contrary--he has made my cipher complete. Do the knowledge.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    not an album, but that crooklyn dodger's remix seems to fit the criteria if you listen to chubb rock's verse.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    not an album, but that crooklyn dodger's remix seems to fit the criteria if you listen to chubb rock's verse.

hahaha that verse is really funny.

YOU WATCH CHANNEL ZERO WITH THAT BITCH BAAAHRBARA WALTAAAAHS!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Recommend his first album to your friend:

OK, this thread made me pull this out after years of shelf hibernation. Sorry, it just doesn't cut the mustard. The 'radical politics' element is present but not that well executed. Trag is 18 years old and it shows in the lyrics. Youthful energy, but lacking the final punch.

The production is not 'kick-ass', except for "Arrest The President" and "Black And Proud". The rest of the beats range from lukewarm to boring (token swingbeat alert on "Keep Striving" and "Back To Reality"). One of Marley's less interesting efforts IMO.

Stuff like "Edutainment", "It Takes A Nation Of Millions" and soforth are self-evident for the top 5, but if were going to talk about albums with lesser impact like Intelligent Hoodlum, I'd much rather rate an album like this:

Maybe not 'radical politics' per se. Depictions rather than readymade solutions. Definetely something else than grass and ass, anyway. And the production is kick-ass from end to end.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

A useful distinction.

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

LOL!!! This whole exchange is amazing.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

A useful distinction.

Dropping gemz

Kicking crazy wisdom

Peeping the manuscripts

LOL!!! This whole exchange is amazing.

I just had to say, WOW.

thank you both for that, pure fucking genius.

and on another note: The Disposable Heros of Hiphopracy anyone?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is X-Clan not radical enough to qualify?

Thank you!!!

Brother J stands next to any of the second tier cats.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Literally...at Project Blowed.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Faux,

if you stopped listening to The Coup post-Wild Pitch, you're missing out on an amazing LP: "Steal This Album," which, to me, was better than "Genocide and Juice."

With the 5% stuff...the problem I always had was a lack of consistency or, at the very least, clearly, articulated position. Even Puba, who kicked some of the hardest "white devil" rhetoric this side of Ice Cube (before he went wack) acknowledged the contradictions where he'd be talking about Gods and Earths one moment, then skins the next.

In any case, I think part of the problem too is that someone like the Coup or Public Enemy can still sound politically relevant know but 5%er politics come off far more anachronistic in 2006 compared to some other groups.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Thank you!!!

J is so underrated and so underappreciated. I think a lot of folks got put off by the X-Clan imagery and whatnot to really understand what that dude brought to the table as far as MCing goes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Thank you!!!

J is so underrated and so underappreciated. I think a lot of folks got put off by the X-Clan imagery and whatnot to really understand what that dude brought to the table as far as MCing goes.

"Grand Verbalizer, what time is it?"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Black Market Militia(Tragedy Khadafi,Killa Priest,Hell Razah and Timbo King)
    Featuring, Dead Prez,Oscar Brown Jr,Abiodun Oyemole (The Last Poets)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've got to add Divine Styler to the list.

• kam's second album was as well

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    just for the record, this

is better than this