MATISYAHU, ROUND 2

catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
interesting addition to "that thread" http://kollegedaily.typepad.com/product_shop_nyc/2006/03/matisyahu_no_mi.htmlhttp://jewschool.com/?p=10206 MATISYAHU | No Mitzvah with JDubMatisyahu is riding high with the top ten debut of "Youth" and two sold out shows at the Hammerstein, but things have not been so kosher with the Orthodox Jew and the Jewish Non-profit company that has managed him since before his first show and released all his records.Aaron Bisman and Matthew Miller have run JDub Records out of offices at the Edgar M. Bronfman Center for Jewish Student Life at New York University with the goal of promoting pro-Jewish artists. They've turned their little non-profit into a million dollar enterprise.Unfortunately for them, last week Matisyahu dumped JDub as his management and label (who have a deal now with Epic) for super-manager Gary Gersh. The website Jew School has been with JDub and Matisyahu from the begining and here's what they have to say:"The New York Times is reporting today that Matisyahu has, without any forewarning, breached his contract with JDub Records (with a term of three years remaining), and dropped the non-profit independent label which shaped his image, cultivated his talent, and propelled him to stardom. What they haven???t reported is that he???s signed a management deal with a major Hollywood talent agent ??? Gary Gersh, the man who ???discovered??? Nirvana and presently manages the Foo Fighters. Indeed, for well over a week now, I???ve been sitting on the knowledge that the men who broke their backs to make him a star, Aaron Bisman and Jacob Harris, have been hung out to dry by a man I now recognize to be a false prophet of our own making, who traded in his most devout ???true believers??? merely to maximize his cashflow potential do not say lightly, that there is no chasid where there is no chesed, and to those of us who have been Matisyahu???s most committed supporters, this is a turn most unkind. The news was delivered to JDub with no more than a curt and unexpected phonecall. As The Times reports, ???He said, ???I don???t know if you guys are old enough or have enough experience.?????? I struggle to ascertain what more success he could envision, beyond what JDub has already delivered. As some of you may know, I am the first to have ever written about Matisyahu. I designed his first fliers, leaked his first MP3, built and managed his website, and both followed and promoted his career every step of the way via Jewschool and other online forae, helping to craft the myth surrounding a man I once believed to be our generation???s musical Moshe Rabbeinu, destined to lead us to The Promised Land. In that time I have withheld all criticism, defended him from naysayers, and perpetuated his hagiography for the sake of his success alone. I stand before you today a remorseful Dr. Frankenstein. While I marvel at his success, and wish to be proud that I had some part in making it happen, I can only watch in horror and disappointment as he presses a knife firmly into the back of the man squarely responsible for his stardom ??? the man under whose chuppah I once watched him sing: Aaron Bisman. What should be a time of simcha and pure joy is now overcast by the shadow of gut-wrenching heartbreak. Now I can no longer listen to his music without being overcome with illness. His lyrics, which I have memorized from countless listening hours, spontaneously burst into my head, and I now shed tears unlike those which I shed before ??? tears of sadness and betrayal ??? as I prepare to watch this callous industry eviscerate the soul from his music and turn his sweet chassidishe melodies into nothing more than shallow corporate commodities, with my musical Messiah a willing participant."

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    As The Times reports, ???He said, ???I don???t know if you guys are old enough or have enough experience.??????

To be honest, this kind of thing often happens when an act blows up, particularly if that act's been managed by enthusiastic amateurs up until that point. He's clearly now going to do a big money deal with a major, and somebody's probably pointed out to him that a seasoned pro will get him a better deal. Better for who, exactly is another matter altogether.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    dude has bout 5 minutes left on his 15 so best beleive hes gonna get that money

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Who cares? That dude is W-A-C-K!!!!!!!!!!!!! All the Phish fans can follow this guy around now.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    this is a turn most unkind.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ooooh, i didn't realize that other thread was about matisyahoo or I would have read it and added my 2 cents!

and my 2 cents is this:

What a fucking poser. Who gives a shit about a guy who's schtick is that he's a hacidic jew making fake reggae?

To the fans I would like to recommend some other artists to check out:

The 2 Live Jews
    Born Jamericans
    Snow
    MC Skat Kat
    Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
    Britney Spears
    Blink 182
    Fred Durst

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

To all the hatters. Don't worry. in a few years you will have forgotten that he existed.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    old news, bro'z. check out that new shit! jimmyboi!!!

http://www.myspace.com/JimmyxBoi

asian dude acting like a white dude acting like a black dude.

• http://www.myspace.com/JimmyxBoi

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Snow

watch out. there's always a few snow defenders in here when his name comes up. apparently he is like a cool dood or something.

• "Little did I know then that he???d take that to mean Menacham Mendel Schneerson, and that he would sell his truest lovers and supporters down the river for what he probably sees as an opportunity to shill for Chabad to an even wider audience. His breach of contract is a clear violation of halakha, but it would be no surprise to me if he had been given a heter from his rav for the sake of spreading Chabad chassidus"[/b]

Gee, so I was absolutely right. That's pretty shocking, huh?

Pull em on shortpants...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

To the fans I would like to recommend some other artists to check out:

The 2 Live Jews
    Born Jamericans
    Snow
    MC Skat Kat
    Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
    Britney Spears
    Blink 182
    Fred Durst

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

To all the hatters. Don't worry. in a few years you will have forgotten that he existed.

The singer Notch is a cool yute.

I shoulda added UB40, but i dunno... I kinda have a soft spot for them since I remember their songs from when I was young and had no idea what reggae was. I still remenisce when I hear Red Wine.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    No Dizzy dont add UB40 they get a pass too.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    http://www.slate.com/id/2138032/?nav=tap3

The truth is, Matisyahu isn't really a novelty???his is the oldest act in the show-business book. Minstrelsy dates back to the very beginnings of American popular music, and Jews have been particularly zealous and successful practitioners of the art. From Irving Berlin's blackface ragtime numbers to Al Jolson's mammy songs???from jazz clarinetist Mezz Mezzrow, who passed as black, to Bob Dylan, who channeled the cadences of black bluesmen, to the Beastie Boys???successive generations of Jewish musicians have used the blackface mask to negotiate Jewish identity and have made some great art in the process.

Matisyahu is the latest in this line, and while his music is at best pedestrian, his minstrel routine may be the cleverest and most subtle yet. Matisyahu is like a thousand other white guys from the suburbs who've smoked a lot of dope, listened to some Burning Spear records, and decided to become reggae singers. But as a Hasid, he has a genuinely exotic look???that great big beard and the tzitzit fringes flying???and the spiritual bona fides to pull off songs steeped in Old Testament imagery. It's an ingenious variation on the archetypal Jewish blackface routine, immortalized in The Jazz Singer (1927), when the immigrant striver Jolson put on blackface to cast off his Jewish patrimony and become American. In 2006, Matisyahu wears Old World "Jewface," and in so doing, becomes "black."

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    "Little did I know then that he???d take that to mean Menacham Mendel Schneerson, and that he would sell his truest lovers and supporters down the river for what he probably sees as an opportunity to shill for Chabad to an even wider audience. His breach of contract is a clear violation of halakha, but it would be no surprise to me if he had been given a heter from his rav for the sake of spreading Chabad chassidus"[/b]

Chabad-Lubavitch is creepy, man, that's all I'm saying.

• I'm new, but I wanna try this:

Guzzo!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i'm sure there is only one side to this story, just like there is no way that these dudes could be dissing him based on sour grapes.....considering that days before they were his biggest fans and promoters.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Now I can no longer listen to his music without being overcome with illness. His lyrics, which I have memorized from countless listening hours, spontaneously burst into my head, and I now shed tears unlike those which I shed before ??? tears of sadness and betrayal ??? as I prepare to watch this callous industry eviscerate the soul from his music and turn his sweet chassidishe melodies into nothing more than shallow corporate commodities, with my musical Messiah a willing participant."

Tell the truth, N**k, you know you added this part... no way is that for real.

old news, bro'z. check out that new shit! jimmyboi!!!

http://www.myspace.com/JimmyxBoi

You've obviously never been to Alief. Tiger_blurp, stand up!!!

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I want to see his Bar Mitzvah photos

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    with my musical Messiah a willing participant."

I'm currently accepting applications for my musical messiah.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "Little did I know then that he???d take that to mean Menacham Mendel Schneerson, and that he would sell his truest lovers and supporters down the river for what he probably sees as an opportunity to shill for Chabad to an even wider audience. His breach of contract is a clear violation of halakha, but it would be no surprise to me if he had been given a heter from his rav for the sake of spreading Chabad chassidus"[/b]

Chabad-Lubavitch is creepy, man, that's all I'm saying.

Watch what you say about that shit bro. You might ruin soulstrut.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    with my musical Messiah a willing participant."

I'm currently accepting applications for my musical messiah.

some people have apparently accepted something called 'Project Blowed' as their personal musical messiah.

they would probably tell you about it if asked.

following blowed is anti-thetical to zionism it appears tho.

---

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm new, but I wanna try this:

Guzzo!

Cool, let me try something

your unfortunate mother!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Seriously,

Rosen's piece makes Sanneh's NY Times review sound downright complimentary. He's willing to call, uh, a spade a spade, or in this case, just hit Matisyahu with the big fat MINSTREL label.

Does this mean Rosen has issues too?

The truth is, Matisyahu isn't really a novelty???his is the oldest act in the show-business book. Minstrelsy dates back to the very beginnings of American popular music, and Jews have been particularly zealous and successful practitioners of the art. From Irving Berlin's blackface ragtime numbers to Al Jolson's mammy songs???from jazz clarinetist Mezz Mezzrow, who passed as black, to Bob Dylan, who channeled the cadences of black bluesmen, to the Beastie Boys???successive generations of Jewish musicians have used the blackface mask to negotiate Jewish identity and have made some great art in the process.

Matisyahu is the latest in this line, and while his music is at best pedestrian, his minstrel routine may be the cleverest and most subtle yet. Matisyahu is like a thousand other white guys from the suburbs who've smoked a lot of dope, listened to some Burning Spear records, and decided to become reggae singers. But as a Hasid, he has a genuinely exotic look???that great big beard and the tzitzit fringes flying???and the spiritual bona fides to pull off songs steeped in Old Testament imagery. It's an ingenious variation on the archetypal Jewish blackface routine, immortalized in The Jazz Singer (1927), when the immigrant striver Jolson put on blackface to cast off his Jewish patrimony and become American. In 2006, Matisyahu wears Old World "Jewface," and in so doing, becomes "black."

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Seriously,

Rosen's piece makes Sanneh's NY Times review sound downright complimentary. He's willing to call, uh, a spade a spade, or in this case, just hit Matisyahu with the big fat MINSTREL label.

Although Sanneh and Rosen are making the same point, I would be frankly surprised if those in our community who were upset with Sanneh's piece from the New York Times challenged directly Rosen's piece from Slate. Dude's squarely and unquestionably in the minstrelsy tradition. It's become less obvious since the days of burnt cork makeup, but it had to remove the mask to effectively wear it again.

JRoot

Seriously,

yes, it does mean Rosen has issues. i haven't heard too many matisyahu songs, but on the songs i've heard, he's not yelling out "BO!!" or calling people "chi chi mon". he is obviously using a fake jamaican lyrical style, but so what: a) he's not mocking it, b) he's not using jamaican english, and c) its authentic for what it is, seemingly his own take on music he enjoys listening to. does tribute=putting on blackface?

the beastie boys were a minstrel show too? that will be news to all the other jews who grew up in brooklyn listening to rap and embracing hip hop culture, not mocking it.

i think its obvious that jews and everyone else on the planet have fed off of black music, but is this author suggesting that a white person can't do black music without putting on a minstrel show?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

the beastie boys were a minstrel show too?

Of course they were--please be serious.

to who? maybe to the people that were not into hip-hop, the beasties fed their stereotypes, but the beasties' were also a part of hip-hop history and wouldn't have been if that was their game.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

to who? maybe to the people that were not into hip-hop, the beasties fed their stereotypes, but the beasties' were also a part of hip-hop history and wouldn't have been if that was their game.

That's actually just not true. Without getting too deep into it, the beasties were a punk group and they made a rap record to poke fun/mock/satirize the hip-hop records of the time. Story is that they at the time thought hip-hop was wack and silly - I do believe they came to respect hip-hop but strictly from a historical perspective they were (initially) mocking it.

That's actually just not true. Without getting too deep into it, the beasties were a punk group and they made a rap record to poke fun/mock/satirize the hip-hop records of the time. Story is that they at the time thought hip-hop was wack and silly - I do believe they came to respect hip-hop but strictly from a historical perspective they were (initially) mocking it.

i doubt the author had that historical footnote in mind when he wrote the article.