MATISYAHU, ROUND 2

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

the beastie boys were a minstrel show too?

Of course they were--please be serious.

to who? maybe to the people that were not into hip-hop, the beasties fed their stereotypes, but the beasties' were also a part of hip-hop history and wouldn't have been if that was their game.

That's actually just not true. Without getting too deep into it, the beasties were a punk group and they made a rap record to poke fun/mock/satirize the hip-hop records of the time. Story is that they at the time thought hip-hop was wack and silly - I do believe they came to respect hip-hop but strictly from a historical perspective they were (initially) mocking it.

i doubt the author had that historical footnote in mind when he wrote the article.

I wouldn't be so sure - it's a pretty well-known idea and it wouldn't have surprised me if Rosen had alluded to the Beasties along with Dylan, Jolson, etc.

Either way, I was merely responding to your comment about the Beasties - I agree with all of the articles posted, especially the one where the guy says he feels ill after listening to Matisyahu

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For what it's worth - not much, I confess - I can remember when License to Ill
    came out, before it went to #1 and "Fight for Your Right" was everywhere,
    it was definitely just considered another hip hop album, and bumped by just
    about anybody into rap music, at least where I lived. Meaning that the dudes
    downtown with huge boomboxes were bumping "Hold It Now Hit It" along with
    "Dope Beat" and "Peter Piper" - and you would hear "Brass Monkey" bumping
    out of the same rides that had "Eric B is President" shaking windows ...
    not that this either validates or dismisses the "minstrel" argument, but for a time
    at least, the Beastie Boys were considered part of "real" hip hop and not
    some outsider/white boy/rip off shit ... at least this was my experience,
    it may very well have been different in NYC or LA or anywhere else.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

to who? maybe to the people that were not into hip-hop, the beasties fed their stereotypes, but the beasties' were also a part of hip-hop history and wouldn't have been if that was their game.

That's actually just not true. Without getting too deep into it, the beasties were a punk group and they made a rap record to poke fun/mock/satirize the hip-hop records of the time. Story is that they at the time thought hip-hop was wack and silly - I do believe they came to respect hip-hop but strictly from a historical perspective they were (initially) mocking it.

i doubt the author had that historical footnote in mind when he wrote the article.

I wouldn't be so sure - it's a pretty well-known idea and it wouldn't have surprised me if Rosen had alluded to the Beasties along with Dylan, Jolson, etc.

Either way, I was merely responding to your comment about the Beasties - I agree with all of the articles posted, especially the one where the guy says he feels ill after listening to Matisyahu

so can a white person (or jew) perform black music without putting on a minstrel show? if the answer is yes, list some examples.

if the answer is no, then are all the white djs on this board doing the same thing?

• I'm new, but I wanna try this:

Guzzo!

Cool, let me try something

your unfortunate mother!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Nah dude I bought Licensed To Ill when it dropped and I love that record. I love Paul's Boutique. I like Check Your Head too.

I'm not saying anything about their music at all, or even public perception - merely noting the fact that they started making hip-hop as a parody/mockery.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    so can a white person (or jew) perform black music without putting on a minstrel show? if the answer is yes, list some examples.

if the answer is no, then are all the white djs on this board doing the same thing?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm new, but I wanna try this:

Guzzo!

Cool, let me try something

your unfortunate mother!

you're fucking stupid.

• you're fucking stupid.

Awesome commentary like this is why soulstrut has the rep it does. Grow the fuck up and fall way back with that bullshit, thank you very much.

you're fucking stupid.

Awesome commentary like this is why soulstrut has the rep it does. Grow the fuck up and fall way back with that bullshit, thank you very much.
    trying to impress people you'll never meet, by dissing someone you don't know, makes you look like the lonely kid no one wants to play with. lurker bitch.

• dhrupickdhrupick 21 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Why do you think those two ideas are mutually exclusive? Do you think Black audiences are incapable of being entertained my minstrelsy?

They were both a minstrel show and a part of hip-hop history.

While mistrelsy is a distasteful thing from a moral perspective, it can still result in "good," or at least interesting, art.

Although I personally don't care for anything about the Beastie Boys, beyond the production in their first two records.

• so can a white person (or jew) perform black music without putting on a minstrel show? if the answer is yes, list some examples.

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=613151&page=4&fpart=3

I just don't have the energy to respond to all this other crap about being a lonely kid lurker bitch....sounds like you speak from ample personal experience....please enjoy your issues!

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    this matisyahoo dood really lights a fire under people's asses.

how do you feel? content? pretty good? sure, it's a nice day out, things are going well.

well. how do you feel....

NOW!?!?!?!??!?!?![/b]

!!! !!!!! !!!!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Chabad-Lubavitch is creepy, man, that's all I'm saying.

Watch what you say about that shit bro. You might ruin soulstrut.
    Ruin soulstrut or not, it can't be good for the to have a goofy lubavitcher as one of our most prominent public figures. Lubavitch's insistence on overt displays of faith and proselytising is seriously troubling. Jackie Mason on the Simpsons, Mel Brooks and his movies--this public yiddishkeit I support, but Matisyahu? Oi vey.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Don't worry. in a few years months, you will have forgotten that he existed.

dude needed to sell black music to crackers..

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    My friend's older brother went to the first Beastie show when they busted out their rap schtick. It was a joke and it was mockery. But everybody loved it so they kept at it. It's common knowledge, actually. I knonda liked the track, "Beadtie Groove" but that's just me.

White girl hiphop is go!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    White girl hiphop is go!

"in my head I feel like I'm Chuck D, I just don't look like him"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Don't worry. in a few years months, you will have forgotten that he existed.

"I get why people say that, but in my head, I feel like I'm Chuck D."

Minsrels have been an important part of American culture.

I just got this book and am looking forward to reading it.
    God Bless Nick Toches

Where Dead Voices Gather[/b]
    UK Cover

US Cover

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=613151&page=4&fpart=3

I just don't have the energy to respond to all this other crap about being a lonely kid lurker bitch....sounds like you speak from ample personal experience....please enjoy your issues!

you talking to me?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    At least the PussyCatDolls got boink!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Chabad-Lubavitch is creepy, man, that's all I'm saying.

Watch what you say about that shit bro. You might ruin soulstrut.

Ruin soulstrut or not, it can't be good for the to have a goofy lubavitcher as one of our most prominent public figures. Lubavitch's insistence on overt displays of faith and proselytising is seriously troubling. Jackie Mason on the Simpsons, Mel Brooks and his movies--this public yiddishkeit I support, but Matisyahu? Oi vey.
    Apologies. I totally missed that other thread with all the kvetching about chabad. What a shame; that fellow zvi calling rootless anorexic was sheer hilarity. Having had the pleasure of spending time with Be**n, I tell you that he's the most imposing strutter I've met. Seriously, I was constantly afraid around him.

you talking to me?
    no, i called him a "lurker bitch" for trying to get at guzzo. BTW the pussycat dolls are all really good looking.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    At least the PussyCatDolls got boink!

Poor girl needs a hearing aid! I wonder if she has to pump air into those implants on the regular!

• the beastie boys were a minstrel show too?

I woudn't take Keith Van Horn seriously, he thinks Mariah is the best "R&B" singer *snicker*and her last album is some of the best pop music made in recent history.

I woudn't take Keith Van Horn seriously, he thinks Mariah is the best "R&B" singer *snicker*and her last album is some of the best pop music made in recent history.

ha, i didnt say either of the above.

mariah is very talented though and i did say (in that jermaine dupri thread) that the emancipation of mimi was one of the best r&b albums of the year.

• the beastie boys were a minstrel show too?

ha, i didnt say either of the above.

mariah is very talented though and i did say (in that jermaine dupri thread) that the emancipation of mimi was one of the best r&b albums of the year.

PAGING SLEUTHER VANDROSS!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

dogg when you say snicker i hope youre talking about the candy bar and not laughing at mariah because god knows she is the best, girlfriend.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    He's got mouths to feed.