You digging partner...

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    RGV,
    Any luck out on Lonk Guyland??

There were two bikers and four blue collars sitting at the bar

Yep....sounds like home!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    trying to pick the right stack to start on...

'friends' trying to tear through as many records as possible to get the 'gems' before the other guy =

Yeah I was a little guilty of that this weekend - not trying so much to get the 'gems' - I mean, the 'gems' are where they are before you get there, it's really luck of the draw - but trying to just get through the shit period. But at the same time sometimes I would spend a little more time on one or two records in the first row, look up, and there goes my partner on his third or fourth row!

Either way it is fun digging with friends and at the end of the day it's just records. Nothing to get too wound up about.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I don't mind digging with somebody else. If it's the right person. It's got to be somebody who can keep up. I went digging with a newbie and he was looking at everything really slow. I was ready to leave him behind. Knowledge also helps because you can clue each other in on records you don't know about. I don't mind digging alone either. So I guess I'm saying, digging with a partner is cool if he/she knows what they are doing and can keep up. I guess being a ballbuster adds a little something to the mix as well. Keeps it lively.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    trying to pick the right stack to start on...

'friends' trying to tear through as many records as possible to get the 'gems' before the other guy =

Yeah I was a little guilty of that this weekend - not trying so much to get the 'gems' - I mean, the 'gems' are where they are before you get there, it's really luck of the draw - but trying to just get through the shit period.

gemz for them

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Yeah I was a little guilty of that this weekend - not trying so much to get the 'gems' - I mean, the 'gems' are where they are before you get there, it's really luck of the draw - but trying to just get through the shit period. But at the same time sometimes I would spend a little more time on one or two records in the first row, look up, and there goes my partner on his third or fourth row!

Either way it is fun digging with friends and at the end of the day it's just records. Nothing to get too wound up about.

hmm, ambivalence...

name a record that both you & ar* had a 'moment' over - spill it!

---

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    At the end of the day it's just records. Nothing to get too wound up about.

Are you sure you want to be held to this? SONATHAN RISKING IT.

hmm, ambivalence...

name a record that both you & ar* had a 'moment' over - spill it!

---

Well, I don't think there was any one record like that. We never got records that the other wanted by getting through stuff super-quick... mainly by chance. I pick a pile, you pick a pile, something in mine, nothing in yours, or vice versa. We would tackle sections together, so I'd start on Soul - A and he'd start on Soul - M. Anything that came out was random. Plus, some things I could pay more for because I could flip for more in my shop, so there was a lot of passing back and forth.

There was one spot where I was really tearing through it and probably needed to slow down, but it was a huge amount of records and I just wanted to get to the bottom of it all. We both found gems at the spot and without having his stash in front of me I would say *r* came out slightly ahead, so any gripping on my part did not pay off...

Other than that our biggest problem was with folks who *wouldn't* sell us records.

oh yea when I dig with a partner we split the crates b4 digging. You get the front I get the back kind of thing. we're still talking about records right?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    oh yea when I dig with a partner we split the crates b4 digging. You get the front I get the back kind of thing. we're still talking about records right?

Do you give something up if you find somethings and your partner doesn't?
    Where's Prestige been at?

I don't think you and I would ever go on a trip together.

You're saying you don't want to go to Burning Man this year? Way to totally harsh a dude's mellow!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    luckily i know not one person that gives a damn about digging. i prefer to dig alone regardless.

You're saying you don't want to go to Burning Man this year? Way to totally harsh a dude's mellow!

I prefer to skank alone.

• aradpumaaradpuma 83 Posts
    i try to dig with SoulHawk, but he always refuses my company.
    usually with the boyfriend, but that can cause conflict.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

You guys fight over raers?

Somewhere along the way my cd's got grouped with my girls and now they are 'our' cd's. She doesn't really care about the records, although she has told me she'd like me to sell some of the expensive ones so I can take us on a vacation, I told her we have jobs to pay for that.

Do you give something up if you find somethings and your partner doesn't?
    Where's Prestige been at?

Yea I'm cool like that. If it's a they're beat. Also you gotta make them sweat it out before you give them the record.

Prestige has been busy with work so he tells me...

here's a prestige quote.... "Ahhhhhhhh I got a lot of shit going on..."

He is a newlywed...

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    you gotta make them sweat it out before you give them the record.

this whole thread has been one after another.

• aradpumaaradpuma 83 Posts

You guys fight over raers?

Somewhere along the way my cd's got grouped with my girls and now they are 'our' cd's. She doesn't really care about the records, although she has told me she'd like me to sell some of the expensive ones so I can take us on a vacation, I told her we have jobs to pay for that.

yeaaa. there's a few "ours" in the LPs as a conflict-solution.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    Solo. I have uncanny bad luck when digging with others.I'm like Charlie Brown out there.In addition to bad luck I'm far too uptight and immature to handle conflict and dissapointment.

Last time I went digging with someone the dude giggled,flaunted and busted my balls while I sulked like a little girl.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Last time I went digging with someone the dude giggled, flaunted and busted my balls while I sulked like a little girl.

Last time I went digging with someone the dude giggled,flaunted and busted my balls while I sulked like a little girl.

This is crazy. What kind of gigglers and flaunters are you dudes hanging out with?

I'm imagining the dude leering and rubbing the record on his hindparts...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It all depends. I mostly go for mine... but it's more fun to co-dig. Make sure the dudes you dig with are either little dudes or really into free jazz. DO NOT DIG WITH SHEISTY MUTHAFUCKAZ (Diplo is one and this other cat who shall remain nameless but PA dudes know him... I used to dig with him and he would pull some sheisty bullshit like pull triples of stuff and not share the love even though I hipped him to the spot... fuck that... no more charity from RAJ.) When I do shady housecalls that require back up, I call up Tony. It all depends.

It all depends. I mostly go for mine... but it's more fun to co-dig. Make sure the dudes you dig with are either little dudes or really into free jazz.

Haha... actually I don't like digging with little dudes, they hold up the process listening to bullshit and never hip you to anything because they don't know shit. Digging with someone who knows their shit is cool because they will hip you to records you didn't know or would have passed on.

I like digging with dudes that are just looking for stuff for themselves, or dudes who deal privately - that way, shit that works for the store but wouldn't work on ebay/lists, or stuff that's valuable but crap/not in the dude's interest usually gets handed to me.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    It all depends. I mostly go for mine... but it's more fun to co-dig. Make sure the dudes you dig with are either little dudes or really into free jazz.

Haha... actually I don't like digging with little dudes, they hold up the process listening to bullshit and never hip you to anything because they don't know shit. Digging with someone who knows their shit is cool because they will hip you to records you didn't know or would have passed on.

I like digging with dudes that are just looking for stuff for themselves, or dudes who deal privately - that way, shit that works for the store but wouldn't work on ebay/lists, or stuff that's valuable but crap/not in the dude's interest usually gets handed to me.

I can't dig with thorough dudes either. Otis is a thorough dude. He'll spend 15 minutes previewing a record. I needle drop then off to the next spot.

I used to dig with him and he would pull some sheisty bullshit like pull triples of stuff and not share the love even though I hipped him to the spot...

That's cold blooded!!!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I dig by myself,i dont need the distraction or the competition,when i out looking for records.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I can't dig with thorough dudes either. Otis is a thorough dude. He'll spend 15 minutes previewing a record. I needle drop then off to the next spot.
    Record players are condoms for diggers!!....I do it bareback batches!!!

(Full credit to whomever posted this saying here a month or so ago...I've used it outside SS a few times)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I used to dig alone pretty much all the time but now there is usually the same dude at the store every sunday morning & we dig together. It's pretty cool because we are into different styles, so there is no contest & it's good to have someone to talk shit with as you dig. I guess the digging alone thing came out of neccessity as I don't really know anyone else that's into records. I feel you guys on the digging with your significant other too. My ex-wife was always rushing me & wouldn't stop at 2nd hand stores. Then when she left she took a bunch of my music.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i used to only dig alone, then i had some sheisty experiences with so-called friends, then i was back to diggin alone.

Now im a full-time Dad, i dig with my 8 month son jack. (little dude fo real)

i get some real funny looks puching a baby carriage into stores, but little dude is a charmer and i can stash my purchases in the buggy as well.

still, must look crazy as hell.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    used to dig with him and he would pull some sheisty bullshit like pull triples of stuff and not share the love even though I hipped him to the spot...

that's pretty lame... i really like to go digging with other people, combines three of my favorite things: spending time with friends, traveling (even just a 45 minute car ride) and record shopping. and honestly, having the nice memories of rolling to a town with friends is worth not being able to buy every rare record in the joint... i guess the lesson is to only go digging with actual friends...