You digging partner...

13»

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    i used to only dig alone, then i had some sheisty experiences with so-called friends, then i was back to diggin alone.

Now im a full-time Dad, i dig with my 8 month son jack. (little dude fo real)

i get some real funny looks puching a baby carriage into stores, but little dude is a charmer and i can stash my purchases in the buggy as well.

still, must look crazy as hell.

The first time I went to the WFMU record fair I took my daughter who was 1 year and 2 months at the time. She had fallen asleep and I was holding her and flipping through crates with one hand. There was this one table where the dealer had come in with what I presume were his daughters, both of them asked if they could hold my kid while I dug. I politely declined (I don't really like strangers holding my kid, especially at a really full record fair in NYC). I found a sealed copy of Ray Barretto's "Acid" at that table! She woke up half way through and had a blast in this little merry go round they had set up there.
    I take her to the stores all the time in the city. She's pretty good, sits at a bench to color and read, or eats skittles. Sometimes she'll look through the dollar bins and pull out stuff she thinks has cool covers, I buy her one or two things just to keep her involved. She was miserable the one time I took her to the flea, and I wouldn't take her to a thrift to dig all day or anything, I know she'd hate that.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    i used to only dig alone, then i had some sheisty experiences with so-called friends, then i was back to diggin alone.

Now im a full-time Dad, i dig with my 8 month son jack. (little dude fo real)

i get some real funny looks puching a baby carriage into stores, but little dude is a charmer and i can stash my purchases in the buggy as well.

still, must look crazy as hell.

I used to take my daughter digging. She's over it. But sometimes she's beat and ends up going with me. It's hard with a kid, but it's better than staying at home. I usually hook her up with some toys and then we go out to eat. She's 6 now. Once she's on the bus I can hit some of my spots. She's lets me dig witha minimal

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have a couple friends who I go with sometimes, usually
    on the long-distance road trip missions,
    but I can't deny there have been times I regretted it.
    Not usually beef over indivdual records, more like they get all
    the good shit and I come up empty, so I just feel burned
    or vice-versa. But there have been one or two occasions
    where the friend pulls a straight-up personal grail, all
    "check out what I found" and who wouldn't be seething, thinking
    "if I was alone - that shit would be MINE"
    haha but I'm not really that emotional over records usually, and
    like having someone to pass things off to/hip me to shit I don't
    know, and go back to the crib to smoke the chalice with and have
    a little listening party.

...and one recent story that is funny,
    my friend and I drove out to the burbs to this
    awesome store where the guy lets us go through
    the back room of unpriced records, and will price
    them for us on the spot.

We each brought our stacks up and dude seriously
    was pricing everything my friend had at like $3-$8,
    and he probably had the better records, some dope
    60's soul LP's and funky jazz joints...

...then my shit was all $15-$30 each, and seriously was worse
    or at least no better/valuable than my friend's, who was
    laughing his ass off at me behind dude's back...I'm like
    "what, do you come here during the week and toss this guy's
    salad or something??"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

but I can't deny there have been times I regretted it.

... we entered a spot that could only be described as a record-digger's "shangri-la". I became moist with anticipation. I touched my partner's hand, realizing immediately that the hairs on the back of it were standing on end. Without pause we both dug in like so many famished travelers at a thanksgiving feast, stuffing our proverbial maws with records, drinking of the raers as if it were manna from heaven... it dripped from the corners of our mouths down onto our matching ascots. Row after row, he would take the top and I the bottom. After a time, I began to long for the physical domination that comes from digging down at standing height, so we switched. I feasted on the meat and he the fat; while he sated himself on the meat I drank the juice from the edges of grooves. Our knees strained together, our hands gripped simultaneously, until we became one atop a heap of Rawkus deadstock gold... and then... nothing. As I lay, belly full and heart pounding, he said he was going to wash up. When I arose, he had vanished - all of the records under his arm, and my love in his clutch... I will never dig with another...

Although I found that Erotic Digger Fiction to be
    highly disturbing, I have to admit it was nice to find out I
    was wrong in my assumption that all my posts were seen by you as:

*** [i]YOU ARE CURRENTLY IGNORING THIS USER ***

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I will never dig with another...

this reads like the brokeback mtn of erotic digger fiction...

---

---

top THAT, Faux_Rillz!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

---

top THAT, Faux_Rillz!

does Ar* share your feelings?

you gotta telll him dude.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    When Mylatency and I were digging, I'd fuck with him and be like "whoa, Stark Reality" as if I'd just found one. He'd turn his head real fast like "oh no you didn't". I'd just laugh. Or snap Papaya from right behind his back hahaha.

---

top THAT, Faux_Rillz!

does Ar* share your feelings?

you gotta telll him dude.

He's a curious digger, to be sure - just ask him about shinshee-shinshee....

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    I've only dug with a few mates, and I don't mind it too much.
    One of my best friends digs a little, but is into finding Supremes, Simon & Garfunkle etc, so the psychy/jazzy/funky shit I get. But she's cool, and I'm quite sure she would give me a record if I was after it.
    But one of my other best friends is dodgy. I've picked up cheap shit I thought he'd dig (and he did) for him, like Focus and Leonard Cohen etc (He's a huge hipster) but I'm quite certain the favour won't be returned. I have however raided his dads collection for a heap of jazz and funky stuff, like Sun Ra, Archie Shepp, Miles, Thelonius, James Brown, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Freddie Hubbard, Ahmad Jamal etc etc. So I'm pretty happy with the deal.

I dig alone a heap more, because I hate trying to organise other people, I don't mind doing stuff on my own, and it would be terrible if someone got to a "Grail Piece" before me and bought it because they had afros or something.

My girlfriend's ok in op shops because she can scope out the books and clothes and misc while I dig, but she doesn't last more that half an hour in a record store.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Last time I went digging with someone the dude giggled, flaunted and busted my balls while I sulked like a little girl.

Every time this thread gets a groove, these "no homo" jokes keep slowing it down.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    When Mylatency and I were digging. I'd just laugh. Or snap Papaya from right behind his back hahaha.
    I totally read this as:

When Mylatency and I were digging. I'd just laugh. Or snap his bra-strap from right behind his back hahaha.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    It all depends. I mostly go for mine... but it's more fun to co-dig. Make sure the dudes you dig with are either little dudes or really into free jazz. DO NOT DIG WITH SHEISTY MUTHAFUCKAZ (Diplo is one and this other cat who shall remain nameless but PA dudes know him... I used to dig with him and he would pull some sheisty bullshit like pull triples of stuff and not share the love even though I hipped him to the spot... fuck that... no more charity from RAJ.) When I do shady housecalls that require back up, I call up Tony. It all depends.

as much as i kinda love dip, it was kinda hectic digging with him. thankgod he graduated to realworld moves and left me to sort through the muck without his grabby mits in the way. we used to litteraly punch each other in the face after hitting spots...in a brotherly way, but kindof tiring.

a friend of mine has a system for missions where you split the grails. throw the real ill cathces in a pile and take turns picking. im not going to say its a perfect system, but its worth considering. unless it was only a one piece catch,partners should walk out of a good score with somewhat even plunder.

in my daily rounds i prefer going solo due to speed and traveling by bike. but for longer missions or real big vaults, you gotta get the back up squad.

but theres always a chance of awkward moments. ive raised an eyebrow at more than a few strutters digging ethics, and im sure ive slighted some people too. we gotta rise above being covetous, but it aint always easy

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I take her to the stores all the time in the city. She's pretty good, sits at a bench to color and read, or eats skittles. Sometimes she'll look through the dollar bins and pull out stuff she thinks has cool covers, I buy her one or two things just to keep her involved. She was miserable the one time I took her to the flea, and I wouldn't take her to a thrift to dig all day or anything, I know she'd hate that.

i witnessed that at good records last month!!! unprops to johnny for not introducing us, but at least he had the kiddie drawing table all set up. your kids cute!

• i prefer digging alone...but i'm always down to dig out my girl.

a friend of mine has a system for missions where you split the grails. throw the real ill cathces in a pile and take turns picking. im not going to say its a perfect system, but its worth considering. unless it was only a one piece catch,partners should walk out of a good score with somewhat even plunder.
    I've managed with my friend to never have a problem when it comes to this. I guess we're both just honest and understand that it isn't about what grails you own, but "the hunt" and "the music".

We also don't make a living off of it, so I guess it's a bit different.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've managed with my friend to never have a problem when it comes to this. I guess we're both just honest and understand that it isn't about what grails you own, but "the hunt" and "the music".

We also don't make a living off of it, so I guess it's a bit different.

Same here. And even when I do go digging with the capital-C Collectors, there's hardly any problem because (a) the other guy is more focused on one kind of music (I myself am fairly all over the place with my tastes) and (b) I'm not the type that will drop $10 on a single or $50 on an album...I found classic vinyl right there in the cheaps.

As far as the whole thing about buying shit for people and them not reciprocating...when a friend accused me of the same thing, I reminded him that everything I had to offer, he already had, or was just plain "over it"...I've spotted records for other people in my time, but in the end these are records, not baseball cards. If I don't just up and give you that funk "raer" you've been lusting after, that's 'cause I wouldn't give up something that I normally use.

Now, if I find a DOUBLE of that same record, I'll give it to you THEN, but...

(a) the other guy is more focused on one kind of music (I myself am fairly all over the place with my tastes[/b]) and (b) I'm not the type that will drop $10 on a single or $50 on an album...I found classic vinyl right there in the cheaps.
    That definitely helps. My friend is always looking for soul and R&B. I, on the other hand, concentrate on State-produced fuzz and bar-rock with ugly people on the cover.