The MPC SUCKS DONKEY!

Comments

• etc.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Here is the real problem: as time goes on, processor speeds get faster and faster and the companies that make these samplers utilize the latest, cheapest and most readily made processors. Herein lies the problem; the samplers, or more specificaly the playback sequencers, are getting more "perfect" as the processors get faster, which means the beats are hitting more on beat every time they swing around the sequence, and thus, in essence, sounding less funky. Every compare the SP1200 16th note triplet to any newer sequencer? that shi* is hip hop. And the reason is because the processor in that thing is the equivalent of a thimble and a casio watch. It is far funkier than the Mpc 60 and 3000, and by funky i mean loose, natural sounding (and technicaly fuc*ed up). Aside from the that the characteristic sound on the SP comes less from its bit and sample rate (as commonly believed) than from it's multiplexing across the AD converter at the rate that thimble of a processor can handle.

All of this is pretty much why the SP1200 is the only sampler I've ever wanted. The whole argument of "just get a newer sampler and use lesser bit and sample rates, and it'll be just like an SP!" always struck me as bullshit, and this is why.

Newer ain't always better, motherfuckers. In some cases, newer is worse.

Great post, Thes. Thanks for the

• i'm well aware of filters... but you cant take static sound out without killing the entire high end... and thats fine for certain sounds like sampling synths or whatever... but listen to those old vocal cuts from 45's n stuff... i swear i sometimes wonder if he was sampling a few of those off of CD.

• Is your turntable grounded?

• i dont think you need to ground the new portable turntables... i use a numark pt-01 personally... and it has no means of grounding it.

• I have an sp808 I've had since they came out, I have performed with, dropped, bent, let gather dust from time to time, works like a charm, zip drive is slow, but it's ok, I'd rather use an ESX-1 for drum samples, and the sp808 for long phrases. Sp808 makes up for some of the lack of realtime sampling/sequencing with excellent processing options in the realtime.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

what always bugged me about the 2000xl was the sequencer and how it comes back on the one way too quick. that's just what thes said, the playback sequencers are getting more precise and as a result loosing their "natural" feel... there is a way around that i learned from j dee: turn off the quantize, and make your own loops.

i had the sp and the sequencer is very nice, i should have kept it just for that, but the one i bought had faulty outputs and other problems and i had to return it, now i'm in the market for a 3000. i think that's the complete package, sound, sequencing, outputs, midi etc...

my boy has a 2000 and i always thought that it sounds better than the xl, although the xl has more features that speed up chopping etc. i always thought they did that on purpose, like every machine has something that the new one doesn't and vice versa so the old machines always stay in the market.

• Two reasons the Mpc 60, 60II, and 3000 will always shit on any of the other wannabes

I heart my 3000. I currently got one of my other 2kxls right next to it cuz im revamping some older beats,...
    and daaamn that 2k sounds like a fart in a dumpster compared to the 3k..

To be real though, the 2k xl sequencer is fine.
    No reason to Hat(t) on it.
    I had my problems with crashes, overheating & sample distortion due to ram problems,...
    But the SEQ is dope as fuck on the 2kxl. Its just that sampler thats wack as hell. Oh yea the lowpass filter is one of the worst i ever heard.

I prefer my 3k seq now because of swing and other little gimmicks, but still..

On a side note Iomega and zip drives can go to hell. I almost lost my whole album because of them.

Dude!!!

I used to be all zip100 with my 2kxl and for now I'm just using the good ol' floppies, but what you really need to get into are external SCSI pcmcia card readers which can be fitted with a pcmcia to compact flash drive...

This way you can archive on your pc and go back and forth if you want.
    Not to mention that shit loads faster than a lightbeam.

To anyone I can only recommend the www.mpc-forums.com I think some dude mentioned it earlier. If you got tech issues wit your baby - go there, they know it all.
    Other interesting links : www.midicase.com www.mpc3000.com
    Dude who programmed the NEW 3.16 OS for the 3000 owns those domains and is a genius when it comes to 3k knowledge.
    I really gotta order those 3.16 boot roms from him soon!

jus' my 2c

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ...what you really need to get into are external SCSI pcmcia card readers which can be fitted with a pcmcia to compact flash drive...

Not to mention exspensive! $300-$400? yikes.

I wish I could install a card reader in my XL but I don't have the soldering/extra computer parts knowledge to do so.

• Last externals I saw on ebay went for 5 and 25 euro.
    So, if someone is fine with being stupid enough to pay some strange ass nostalgic-hardware store 500-700 then enjoy yourself

Be carefull which one you get though cuz the microtechs seem to work with the 2k xls but not with the 3ks.
    Adtec is good for 3ks from what I heard.
    If you want info run a search on mpc-forums.
    You'll be sonned if you open a thread about it though. Its not so different from here...

Also, there are picture-documentated "walk-through" internal card reader installations on the site. Just spend enough time to search the board and don't miss the MPC FAQ stickies.

P.S.: If you find an external adtec card reader, call me.
    I missed those last few ebay auctions that ended low and almost bit off my own head for missing it.

peace

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ...what you really need to get into are external SCSI pcmcia card readers which can be fitted with a pcmcia to compact flash drive...

Not to mention exspensive! $300-$400? yikes.

I wish I could install a card reader in my XL but I don't have the soldering/extra computer parts knowledge to do so.
    I think you can pick up those card readers for like $15~ish or so if you look around. In this day and age no one should be forced to fuck with zip disks.

• Well gentlemen welcome to my own personal hell.

After using Zip disks for almost ten years I ended up with a "killer disk" and click of death etc. etc. and it almost made me want to jump off a bridge. Aside from almost losing all of the 3 years worth of work on the new PUTS album, I have pretty much lost most every beat I have made stemming back to 1996 when I started using a Zip100 with my 3000.

The legendary Bruce Forat helped save my new record but alass, most everything else is lost. During that week I went through about 4 NOS zip drives at the tune of almost 600 dollars, and Iomega neither offers support nor apology since the CLASS ACTION (holy shit hwo come I didn't know about this at the time) lawsuit settlement from 2001. It seems ALOT of people lost thier lives work because of that piece of shit ass crap format.

If you are still using the Zip or jaz format successfully I suggest you google click of death and start putting together a back up plan immediately.

I decided, at that time and after the album was done, that I would unplug my 3000 and not plug it in again until I had a working card reader in it. I have since been through 3 different card readers and think I may hav efinally found one that will work, but I will not know until next thursday. Some notes for anyone who is interested, and this information applies only to the 60 60II and the 3K:

The Microtech PCD-40 does not work. period, I don't care who says what that shit will not format, no ifs ands or buts, save your money.
    As far as Microtech goes you seem to be most safe with the PCD-15b, but try finding one! I twill be used undoubtedly but damned if they ever show up anywhere.
    The PCD 17,19,20, and 25 may or may nto work but shit who knows.

The only card reader still currently in production that is designed to work as an scsi tape drive would is the Adtron SDDS series. But here is where i f**ed up. There are two models, the SDDS01, which is a dual drive and would be fly as f**k in an MPC and the SDDS03 which is a single drive, nto so fresh.

I purchased the SDDS01 because I figured, hell, they are the same price and two drives in one! dope! Nope. The problem with this series of dual drive reader/writers is that they only occupy one SCSI address, and split information up between the drives using LUN addresses 1 and 0. The MPC will NOT differentiate between two LUNs so it tries to write to both drives at the same time because it occupies only one address. Not good.

I have sent it back (today actually) and ordered the SDDS03 which only has on edrive, one scsi address and one LUN address. I am pretty confident this one will work, but I will let yall know.

The great thing about Adtron is that they are currently still in production and offer tech support on thier drives; they have infact been very helpful with me.

The drive costs 275 dollars brand new, and it is Milspec. hopefully my future with the MPC3000 lies within.

ps. don't even try emailing the dude at midicase or mpc3000.com about this because the guy is a complete jerkoff. good luck and stay up beatmakers!

• so this "click of death" affects a single zip at a time, or the entire zip drive? i have back-up zip's of everything, but this is starting to scare me.

and does it matter if they're 100mb or 250mb or if the drive is internal/external?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Well gentlemen welcome to my own personal hell.

After using Zip disks for almost ten years I ended up with a "killer disk" and click of death etc. etc. and it almost made me want to jump off a bridge. Aside from almost losing all of the 3 years worth of work on the new PUTS album, I have pretty much lost most every beat I have made stemming back to 1996 when I started using a Zip100 with my 3000.

The legendary Bruce Forat helped save my new record but alass, most everything else is lost. During that week I went through about 4 NOS zip drives at the tune of almost 600 dollars, and Iomega neither offers support nor apology since the CLASS ACTION (holy shit hwo come I didn't know about this at the time) lawsuit settlement from 2001. It seems ALOT of people lost thier lives work because of that piece of shit ass crap format.

If you are still using the Zip or jaz format successfully I suggest you google click of death and start putting together a back up plan immediately.

I decided, at that time and after the album was done, that I would unplug my 3000 and not plug it in again until I had a working card reader in it. I have since been through 3 different card readers and think I may hav efinally found one that will work, but I will not know until next thursday. Some notes for anyone who is interested, and this information applies only to the 60 60II and the 3K:

The Microtech PCD-40 does not work. period, I don't care who says what that shit will not format, no ifs ands or buts, save your money.
    As far as Microtech goes you seem to be most safe with the PCD-15b, but try finding one! I twill be used undoubtedly but damned if they ever show up anywhere.
    The PCD 17,19,20, and 25 may or may nto work but shit who knows.

The only card reader still currently in production that is designed to work as an scsi tape drive would is the Adtron SDDS series. But here is where i f**ed up. There are two models, the SDDS01, which is a dual drive and would be fly as f**k in an MPC and the SDDS03 which is a single drive, nto so fresh.

ps. don't even try emailing the dude at midicase or mpc3000.com about this because the guy is a complete jerkoff. good luck and stay up beatmakers!

Ah, that was one of my personal projects from last year.
    Yup, trying to find the right reader is a bitch.
    I found the right external reader in New Orleans for like $5 and then just took it apart and turned the SCSI inward.
    I see cats trying to push them for $300 plus, and that's some bullshit.
    Try calling Camera shops that have been around for a while, the old SCSI readers were used in the early stand alone digital printing kiosks.
    When you get it up & working Thes, it's a thing of beauty.
    IMG SRC=http://www.goodfootwax.com/ebay/mpc3k.jpg>

• absolutely stunnign photo, looks liek a pcd-15b no? just wonderful. Somebody find me one goddammit!!!

Anyways, there are a variety of things that can go wrong with the Zip format and it doesn't matter if it is external or internal, 100 or 250. The flaw is in theh design, and it is entirely Iomegas fault becasuer they knew this could and would happen.

There is an enormous amount of research on this topic but in short, if your heads become misaligned at all, which can happen just through regular usage, they can start writing information at a slight misangle. Now because said heads are at the mis-angle, they of course can re-read it, but if you ever switch drives and the heads are not precisely at the same misangle (which is practically impossible) good luck re-reading that data. you screwed!
    Thats problem one in a multifaceted fuckoff.
    Problem two - Let's say one day the heads catch an edge and put a slight nick in your zip disk... which is not at all unheard of. The next time your heads slide out over that disk spinning at 2500 rpms, whip! off with yo head. Now you have what is affectionately known as a "killer disk" and this disk will rip apart any drive it is inserted into. Good luck ever getting that data back.

I didn't know this and went through 3 drives in a week trying to get an important song back. no sir. gone forever once th edamage is done.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yup 15B, in fact Microtech ued to be a few towns over from me, went to check on 'em (I was ready to go through the dumpster to get one of these bastards!).
    It's an empty building in an Industrial Park now.

And to everyone still tempting fate rocking Iomega this is what WILL HAPPEN to your most important songs/info/etc:

• I just realizes from this thread that my zip drive is broken and none of mine discs
    are working anymore
    I own the mpc2000 so I think I am in very big danger and problems and finding a working zip drive for scsi
    iomega is evil peoples

• Oh, I've never used software. Ive loved the mpc, but I think its just not for me anymore. Perhaps Im trying to get it do things its not built ot do. im trying to get way too complicated. for straight up hip hop, its great. but for song length compositions, its just getting far too complicated.

This is exactly how things have gone with me.
    In terms of turning it on and banging out the beat that has been in my head all the bus ride home? GREAT
    In terms of getting more than a few sounds that arent just straight loops or crappy one shots to sound like a decent composition? TEPPID TERD

People can rave all the want about "endroducing was made on an MPC" but as much as i love that album to death, its mostly straight loopers with a little chop.

I still think its a totally useful creative tool, and my xl has found a happy niche in my creative process.

• Yep.
    I know all about this ordeal as well, No being able to find the SCSI card readers were what ultimately pushed me off the 60 and 3000s and into the next generation of machines, which I have grown to love (once getting past the 1000/2000 series..which I think suck badly) and despite not having the same quality of converters, I have found my way of working and making music changed as well, for the better I might add.
    I wont dispute Linns contribution, his machines sound and feel the best, but for the way I work these days (especially with my live sets and shit like that) I think the 4000 cannot be fucked with, especially when you get into loading z-series orchestral banks and shit like that (or even kits like the ones I have recorded for myself with 10-second decays on each hit or other dumb shit like that). Anyways. If I was just making beats and not trying to fuck with other things in my music, I would swear to death by the sp1200/mpc3000 combo (or a 60 with the expansion and an Emax, almost the same shit, but with better filters and ultra resonant curtis chips...). I used these combos for the first 10 years that I made music, and if you had told me then that I would switch, I would have fought you, but these days, the only thing I regret on this machine is not having those nice Linn converters. (ps, I think the SP sequncer would have a fuck of a time trying to run single Midi Time Code track with on off Note and Filter Data to my Doepfer A100s, but the 3000 can laugh at any Midi sequncing task...)

• anybody have an opinion on the 1000?... it seems pretty cool to use side by side with a computer... yay or nay?

• Crashed mid set while doing a live PA.
    Sold it the next day.
    I heard the 2.0 software is better, but fuck that.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    no one uses floppies anymore? i do . I just sold my ADATs, keyboard, and rack sampler and bought a PC to sync my MPC60 to & also record to. Get the best of both worlds. hopefully.

• Indeed. With all of these problems I have definately been looking at my 3000 sideways as of late. But I have found that incorporating other samplers and resampling them (whether i/o digital or analogue) has helped ease my frustration.
    I know Josh (shadow), Cut and myself all have a favorite in the Roland vp-9000 which really changed the way I make tracks/look at production.

At the same time I find that in terms of fundamentals, say sequencing engines, and SP1200 or a Lynndrum is f--ing unstoppable.

The truth is that a Linn9000 is just about the funkiest thing I ahve ever ehard in my life, but I don't hav ethe balls to incorporate it into my production as the main sequencer. But damn, triplets on that thing? ge tthe f--* outta here.

My sincerest sympathy goes out to anyone who has been through the same thing I have been through with zip disks. It can really hurt.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The MPC 2000 does suck,i realized this once i switched to using one,after my Yamaha QY10 sequencer stopped working, i was using it in conjunction with a Emu Emax 2 at the time.
    The 2000 lacked the "hip hop" feel for sure,i've never really found a way to work around it,except for the constant shifting of the tracks.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

My sincerest sympathy goes out to anyone who has been through the same thing I have been through with zip disks. It can really hurt.

damn, now i am scared. need to look into new saving ideas... thanks for the heads up and the info.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    The MPC 2000 does suck,i realized this once i switched to using one,after my Yamaha QY10 sequencer stopped working, i was using it in conjunction with a Emu Emax 2 at the time.
    The 2000 lacked the "hip hop" feel for sure,i've never really found a way to work around it,except for the constant shifting of the tracks.

All the beats Exile does are on a 2000.
    Maybe it's a case of the musician, not the instrument?
    That isn't directed at you because I've heard people say similar things about the 2000, I think it's just making what you have work for you. It helps when you have no other choice, too.

I need to get on some alternate storage asap.

All the beats Exile does are on a 2000.
    Maybe it's a case of the musician, not the instrument?
    That isn't directed at you because I've heard people say similar things about the 2000, I think it's just making what you have work for you. It helps when you have no other choice, too.

I need to get on some alternate storage asap.

Agreed,it's hard making a switch sometimes.

I can see people saying it great to them,if they dont have a reference point to go back to,and it's their first piece of equipment they learnt to build beats on.
    I still wish i had the 4 tracks of sequencing on the QY10 .

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Anyone got a 1000 they want to sell? 2500 looks nice but kinda out of my price range.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I just love mpc's. any of them. They are clunky as hell and not good at all for long downtempo "compositions". but they are still king for hip hop.

if you are just getting one though, cop the 4000.

Easily tops the 3000.

Doesnt the 3000 not have an undo button? I hate that. The swing is a bit funkier too.

I really like the swing on the asr10 though too. It has a very busted up quality too it.