Soundgarden - Down On the Upside

1235»

Comments

• Metallica up to Ride the Lightning

no puppets???

Sayin'!

my bad. had the years mixed up. I could even add and justice for all.

Some people look at AJFA as the beginning of the end for Metallica, and I guess I can understand that, but to me, the musicality and scope of that album is unbelievable. And the drumming Lars did through the entire album is

Metallica made albums after AJFA? Bah, probably not worth my time.

The first one and AJFA are my two favorites. And the EP. The other two are good, but get a litlle samey to these ears.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Sorry, I exaggerated. But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me... Future residents at waxidermy.com, if anything.

hey lil dude: WHEN YOU DISS WAXIDERMY, YOU DISS YOURSELF

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me...

well since people are making outrageous sweeping statements and GRBOAT declarations - i will say that Drive Like Jehu and Jesus Lizard were and still are two of the greatest bands of the last 20 yrs.

and they are better than soundgarden. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

ha.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah its hard to argue with drive like jehu

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    This thread is embarrassing.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    Sorry, I exaggerated. But really, why anyone would listen to math rock for pleasure is beyond me... Future residents at waxidermy.com, if anything.

hey lil dude: WHEN YOU DISS WAXIDERMY, YOU DISS YOURSELF

That wasn't a diss on waxidermy.com, at all. Maybe you should familiarize yourself with their mission statement?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Please to explain...for I suspect you might be on the exact bullshucks that made me start this thread.

• edubedub 715 Posts

Picked up a cassette of this, along with Helmet's "Meantime", in 5th grade at the mall (damn, I talked about the mall twice today) the weekend before my class went to Space Camp in Alabama - this album still can't be faded.

It's all about the re-issue of this one!!!

it has a bonus disc called SOMMS (Satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas) with covers of Into The Void, Girl U Want, Stray Cat Blues (amongst other songs)...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i also spent my formative teenage years in seattle during the whole nirvana thing, and actually saw soundgarden 6-7 times before superunknown came out. once, my mom and dad came with me two nights in a row, to see them with the melvins opening... my stoner parents really dug the melvins. it was really strange seeing them on MTV for one, and then realizing that people as far away as idaho had ever heard of them. i still listen to ride the lightning/master of puppets for that same nostalgia, but soundgarden went straight to the shitter after badmotorfinger. also, while deathcab's music is pretty much OC soundrack material, they're really nice, non-pretentious guys that worked really hard to get where they are.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Please to explain...for I suspect you might be on the exact bullshucks that made me start this thread.

I'm actually with you with the Soundgarden support, although I haven't listened to the CD since its came out. Nevertheless, I have fond memories.

What I take issue with is the constant veering into the fringes of rock music -- the neverending list of bands with only the slightest conceptual connections. Pardon me, but I thought we were talking about Soundgarden. Even worse are the people who race to name the most bands once these concepts have been named. "I don't know anything about Soundgarden, but I do know a lot about _________. And now I'll share it with you." "Ahem -- what about Soundgarden?" "Garbage, but I know you'd love to hear my pedantic rant about _________."

But that's all besides the point. Soundgarden was a huge band. Presently, I hear their influence all day long on the radio. During their hay, many of the guitar magazines featured licks, sheet music, and, of course, pics of Kim Thayil promoting the hell out of the guitar he played. Chris Cornell, like him or not (I don't), has gone on to lead one of the biggest, recent metal acts.

• This thread is embarrassing.

I'm actually with you with the Soundgarden support, although I haven't listened to the CD since its came out. Nevertheless, I have fond memories.

What I take issue with is the constant veering into the fringes of rock music -- the neverending list of bands with only the slightest conceptual connections. Pardon me, but I thought we were talking about Soundgarden. Even worse are the people who race to name the most bands once these concepts have been named. "I don't know anything about Soundgarden, but I do know a lot about _________. And now I'll share it with you." "Ahem -- what about Soundgarden?" "Garbage, but I know you'd love to hear my pedantic rant about _________."

Guilty as charged, I'd imagine. The initial threadjacks were of course the standard teasing of Harvey. I dig all the bands I discussed, they're part of the musical lineage that lead to my present interests. I don't really wanna hang out Don Caballero message boards though, or indie rock or metal or math rock message boards for that matter. Wouldn't mind seeing if other Strutters had enjoyed same though. This thread seemed like a good enough place to do that. Would you prefer several different threads about random nerdy rock bands? Would you have no discussion of them here at all? You might say yes, but apparently there's at least marginal interest, so why not just let it lie?